• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Underrated Pokemon

Interesting to see Reuniclus brought up because to me it always seemed decently popular.

At any rate, one severely underrated Pokemon that needs some love is...
270px-Turtonator_EpEc.gif
Not biased here at all.

I think Unown is definitely underrated. A lot of people write it off because it isn't useful in battle. Do Pokemon have to be useful in battle to have value? I think not. I know the Pokemon games is about battling, so you may laugh at that notion, but I say that Pokemon for world building are great, too, and make a lasting impression.

The Ruins of Alph will always be one of the coolest locations ever in Pokemon.

I think Unown is definitely underrated. A lot of people write it off because it isn't useful in battle. Do Pokemon have to be useful in battle to have value? I think not. I know the Pokemon games is about battling, so you may laugh at that notion, but I say that Pokemon for world building are great, too, and make a lasting impression.

You could also blame the third movie for making people have higher expectations about it.

The problem though is that if you're going to be a loremon, you can suck at battling but then the lore needs to be good, and I think the Unown are considered just as disappointing in that regard. Yes, the Ruins of Alph are awesome and the Unown are long on mystique and intrigue, but dreadfully short on payoff. Why should a player go through the trouble to collect all of these things? In GSC, literally the only reward is being able to print stamps using the Game Boy Printer. In Sinnoh, the reward is Seals and better Hippopotas encounter rates. Even the Sinjoh Ruins event in which they cameo doesn't really require you to have done anything involving the Unown, you just take the gift Arceus to the Ruins of Alph instead so it can hijack their narrative.

Yeah, Reuniclus is loved by the fans, but it's very neglected by the company. In the anime it has only appeared in like 3 minutes in one episode and 5 minutes in one movie.

• Ekans and Arbok both have decent designs and good colors.
  • The Hitmons are great, have cool concepts and designs.
  • Horsea, Seadra and Kingdra, for similar reasons.
  • Porygon & evos have a great concept and amazing colors. All stages reached the Top 30 of their respective regions in the poll so thankfully the panorama is changing.
  • Dragonair is great, yes, but when was the last time you thought about Dratini?
  • Unown has always been controversial, but people should at least appreciate that they did something unique and different from what you'd expect from a monster.
  • Gligar and Gliscor are more interesting and more intimidating than the other bats.
  • Phanpy and Donphan are slowly falling into obscurity, specially as they have competition now.
  • Marshtomp. It's Mudkip fused with a kid!
  • Beautifly is very cute.
  • Seedot, Nuzleaf and Shiftry are a solid and cool evolution line.
  • Wailmer should be a meme either because of its smile or because of its amazing cry.
  • Spoink has a crazy design.
  • Corphish, Crawdawnt, Baltoy and Claydol, Anortih and Armaldo are really solid lines with a cute and complex first stage and a badass second stage.
  • Chingling and Chimecho are cute, and the idea of a bell evolving into an ornament is great.
  • The Regis & Regigigas redefined what a legendary trio could be.
  • The gen 4 babies are more unique than the gen 2 ones.
  • Palpitoad is awkward on purpose as he's a transition stage. Why people pick on him on a generation full of uglies?
  • Sewaddle & evos are colorful bugs with nice concepts.
  • Frillish and Jellicent represent their types well and have a cool gender difference.
  • Elgyem & Beheeyem are cute and badass aliens.
  • A while ago I thought that no starter could be ever considered underrated because...they're starters and people have a 33% chance to have chosen it! However, none of Chespin's line making it to the Top 30 of their region really made me sad.
  • Flabebe & evos are a great introduction to the Fairy-type. I thought they had decent popularity but actually none of them made it into the poll.
  • Skiddo & Gogoat are goats combined with motorcycles!
  • Dragalge & Clawitzer are fun counterparts with great designs.
  • Crabominable is ugly to some, but that's kind of the point because it's...abominable. Personally I've always loved it because a crab and an ape are a badass combination.
  • Wishiwashi's concept is amazing.
  • Kartana's a great UB. It's an origami samurai!
  • Cursola needs more love, we need more risky regional evolutions like it.
  • Runerigus is spooky and badass.

Yeah, Reuniclus is loved by the fans, but it's very neglected by the company. In the anime it has only appeared in like 3 minutes in one episode and 5 minutes in one movie.

• Ekans and Arbok both have decent designs and good colors.
  • The Hitmons are great, have cool concepts and designs.
  • Horsea, Seadra and Kingdra, for similar reasons.
  • Porygon & evos have a great concept and amazing colors. All stages reached the Top 30 of their respective regions in the poll so thankfully the panorama is changing.
  • Dragonair is great, yes, but when was the last time you thought about Dratini?
  • Unown has always been controversial, but people should at least appreciate that they did something unique and different from what you'd expect from a monster.
  • Gligar and Gliscor are more interesting and more intimidating than the other bats.
  • Phanpy and Donphan are slowly falling into obscurity, specially as they have competition now.
  • Marshtomp. It's Mudkip fused with a kid!
  • Beautifly is very cute.
  • Seedot, Nuzleaf and Shiftry are a solid and cool evolution line.
  • Wailmer should be a meme either because of its smile or because of its amazing cry.
  • Spoink has a crazy design.
  • Corphish, Crawdawnt, Baltoy and Claydol, Anortih and Armaldo are really solid lines with a cute and complex first stage and a badass second stage.
  • Chingling and Chimecho are cute, and the idea of a bell evolving into an ornament is great.
  • The Regis & Regigigas redefined what a legendary trio could be.
  • The gen 4 babies are more unique than the gen 2 ones.
  • Palpitoad is awkward on purpose as he's a transition stage. Why people pick on him on a generation full of uglies?
  • Sewaddle & evos are colorful bugs with nice concepts.
  • Frillish and Jellicent represent their types well and have a cool gender difference.
  • Elgyem & Beheeyem are cute and badass aliens.
  • A while ago I thought that no starter could be ever considered underrated because...they're starters and people have a 33% chance to have chosen it! However, none of Chespin's line making it to the Top 30 of their region really made me sad.
  • Flabebe & evos are a great introduction to the Fairy-type. I thought they had decent popularity but actually none of them made it into the poll.
  • Skiddo & Gogoat are goats combined with motorcycles!
  • Dragalge & Clawitzer are fun counterparts with great designs.
  • Crabominable is ugly to some, but that's kind of the point because it's...abominable. Personally I've always loved it because a crab and an ape are a badass combination.
  • Wishiwashi's concept is amazing.
  • Kartana's a great UB. It's an origami samurai!
  • Cursola needs more love, we need more risky regional evolutions like it.
  • Runerigus is spooky and badass.
Holy cow that's alot

Spoink has a crazy design.

I really love Spoink. I'm always fond of Pokémon whose flavor connects them to other species, and Spoink has such a relationship with Clamperl (that's where it gets the pearl from). Aside from that though, it's such a clever design. Pigs have coiled tails which can be likened to a spring, and so they reinterpreted that into a biological process - the rhythmic bouncing of a spring, Pogo stick-like, regulates Spoink's heartbeat. The detail that it can't afford to stop bouncing kind of reminds me of certain shark species that need to keep swimming in order to breathe. What's more is, the feature really puts Spoink ahead of its time - it's one of those Pokémon whose design is themed around explicit motion, which could only be implied on-screen until Gen 5 came around with its animated sprites (and then the 3D models in Gen 6).

lanturn

i really and truly do love lanturn. it's such a damn shame that it's overshadowed pretty much completely by rotom-wash who has much better stats in pretty much almost if not every area. still though, lanturn is cool and i wish there was more appreciation for it.

would i be too biased if i also posted shaymin here? *looks at badge and avatar* ....

hear me out though: in comparison to other mythicals, shaymin doesn't get a whole lot of spotlight, i imagine, nor popularity amongst people. mew is far more popular, and i imagine jirachi and celebi are, as well (they're great too, don't get me wrong!). it's just kind of a bummer that i rarely see people talk about this cute hedgehold-turned-dog/reindeer pokemon. :c

Please note: The thread is from 3 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom