• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Underrated Pokemon

• A while ago I thought that no starter could be ever considered underrated because...they're starters and people have a 33% chance to have chosen it! However, none of Chespin's line making it to the Top 30 of their region really made me sad
If it makes Chespin feel any better, none of Tepig's line made Top 30 either

since when does a Pokemon have to have amazing stats to be appreciated?
Stats have never really been a deciding factor in a Pokemon's popularity methinks. There are Pokemon with pretty great stats, such as Landorus, that are rather unpopular. On the other hand, Eevee is super popular despite its lackluster stats. Drampa is most likely underappreciated because it's basically a grandpa dragon; unfortunately it isn't cute or cool in the way that most/all popular Pokemon are, such as Bulbasaur or Lucario.

Mothim
746-1.png

castform.png

I've always thought that Castform is really underrated. It was the first ever Pokemon to be able to change its form (well, apart from Ditto and Mew when using Transform), something we take for granted today, but which was very exciting for nine-year-old me playing Ruby for the first time. It's one of my favourite Hoenn Pokemon and usually ends up on my team in those games. I get that it's not the best battler in the world, but it's just so fun to have around.

Do Pokemon have to be useful in battle to have value? I think not. I know the Pokemon games is about battling, so you may laugh at that notion, but I say that Pokemon for world building are great, too, and make a lasting impression.
since when does a Pokemon have to have amazing stats to be appreciated?

This is exactly how I feel. I never pay any attention to a Pokemon's stats and instead choose teammates with designs and concepts that I find appealing.

Last edited:
Imo it's Genesect. I never see people talk about him, and I think he's underrated. He's so cute, especially since he can just turn into a little ship and fly.
totally not bias

I mean I totes agree that Genesect is underrated but I'll never see it as a cute Pokemon when it's basically a robotic cockroach.

In general, my tastes in Pokemon are pretty much considered 'unorthodox' by a lot of people that see them. Excluding the two uppermost favorites and in no order whatsoever, my favorites in Pokemon that I think range to what popular tastes deem 'underrated" include... Eelektross, Minior, Shiinotic, Lunatone, Blacephalon, Stakataka, Palossand, Zubat and Golbat, Stunfisk, Cryogonal, Drifblim, Dhelmise, Cradily, Omastar, Magcargo, Parasect, Ariados, Arctozolt and Arctovish (the Draco-bodied ones seem more well-liked in general, especially Dracovish), Eiscue, Regice, and so forth.

...and to top it all of, Beheeyem is my third-favorite Pokemon of all time.

I've always found Huntail and Gorebyss to be pretty underrated. I like how one can learn Dark attacks and the other Psychic attacks despite both being pure Water type.

The fact that Clamperl can be found so late in the game in its debut gen and that you have to search the entirety of the Abandoned Ship to get only one of its trade items made a lot of players not bother with using the two on their teams.

I feel that Lanturn is a rather underrated Mon. It's got a semi-unique typing that's only shared by its pre-evo and Rotom Wash, it's actually rather cute (especially compared to the RL creature it's based off of), and has a bunch of useful traits and abilities that are often overlooked due to the aforementioned Rotom Wash. Sure, it's not the strongest Water and/or Electric Mon, but it still has some very valuable traits that make it a rather worthwhile addition to the party. It's actually one of the better Johto Mons, as it has a rather simple yet elegant design, good type combo that covers a lot of bases, nice, balanced stats, and a rather good set of moves at its disposal. Sure, it'll never break into OU but for an in-game team it's actually pretty solid and fun.

Please note: The thread is from 3 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom