• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Underused and Overused Pokemon

JohnnyCool708

Observer
Reaction score
What Pokemon do you believe have been sadly neglected for no good reason?
What Pokemon are being neglected fairly?
What UU and NU Pokemon should have upgrades in moves and stats?
What Pokemon are Over Used?
-For a good reason? (Above)

Raichu should be used more. He's an excellent Electric type, but most people get turned-off by his defense.

And also, Spiritomb. Just... Spiritomb. And also Garchomp, lots and lots of Garchomp.

Raichu should be used more. He's an excellent Electric type, but most people get turned-off by his defense.

I totally agree, Raichu is actually a pretty decent Pokemon. He's got access to great moves like Fake Out, Encore, Nasty Plot, Thunderwave, and STAB Thunderbolt. I actually made an Anti-Lead set for a Raichu, and it totally owned in UU and faired pretty well in OU.

Alakazam, Ludicolo, and Moltres should also be higher than UU, imo.

What Pokemon do you believe have been sadly neglected for no good reason? Altaria. I love Altaria, but I haven't seen it used a lot. It's my favorite Dragon-type Pokemon. Froslass is another one. I like her because Ice/Ghost is a cool combo. She's more interesting than Glalie.

What Pokemon are being neglected fairly? Shedinja. It has only 1 HP! Use a super-effective move on Shedinja and it's dead!

What UU and NU Pokemon should have upgrades in moves and stats? Pachirisu, maybe. It needs more Electric-type moves. An evolution might not be a bad idea either.

What Pokemon are Over Used? Charizard, Dragonite, Tyranitar, Slaking, Metagross, Spiritomb, and Garchomp are all OU. Same for most legendaries.

What Pokemon are Over Used? Charizard, Dragonite, Tyranitar, Slaking, Metagross, Spiritomb, and Garchomp are all OU. Same for most legendaries.

Charizard and Slaking is NU, Spiritomb is UU and Garchomp is Über according to the standards of Smogon...

I think Bibarel should be used more, I liek it! It's cute.

No, Ludicolo should stay UU. Why? Because I love it and wanna keep using it in UU, that's why. [/SELFISH]

Charizard. It's only in the NU because of Stealth rock, but if you think about it, there are only few stealth rock users that out speed it (Garchomp, Aerodactyl). I have my own Charizard set, and it can see past Dialga (And I mean proper Dialga, not crappy ones used by spammers just because they think it's legendary means it unbeatable.) It's perfectly good. Swellow is also awesome if you use Guts Activation with Substitute in double battles.

Shedinja. Like stated above, It has one HP! One super effective move and it's dead. It's only purpose in life is choice scarf destiny bond to take an unaware opponent down.

Ariados and Seviper. Both need Gunk Shot, Better Speed and offenseive stats (not so much for Seviper) and better defences.

Infernape! I hate Infernape! I hate it with a passion! I don't know why, but I do. It's an overrated Fire monkey and a good example of a UU that can kill it easily is Scyther. It's faster and stronger, plus takes hardly any damage from Infernape's only priority move: Mach Punch. One Aerial Ace and it's done. Don't even need Swords dance, STAB + Life orb + 115 Attack + The right EV's = One dead monkey.

Overused: Garchomp, Salamence, Dragonite, Charizard, Scizor, Tyrannitar, Infernape, Gyarados, Dragon types, and most of the starter Pokemon (but that's not surprising)

Underused: Unown, Ditto, Dunsparce, most bug Pokemon.

What Pokemon do you believe have been sadly neglected for no good reason?: Charizard (it's popular in the fandom, but not everyone uses it in competitive battling. It may have a good movepool, but it's screwed by Stealth Rock).
What Pokemon are being neglected fairly?: Don't know here.
What UU and NU Pokemon should have upgrades in moves and stats? The Eeveelutions. Especially Glaceon (in terms of movepool).
What Pokemon are Over Used?: Scizor (Technician + STAB + Swords Dance/Choice Band/Life Orb-boosted Bullet Punches are going to hurt).

I totally agree, Raichu is actually a pretty decent Pokemon. He's got access to great moves like Fake Out, Encore, Nasty Plot, Thunderwave, and STAB Thunderbolt. I actually made an Anti-Lead set for a Raichu, and it totally owned in UU and faired pretty well in OU.

Alakazam, Ludicolo, and Moltres should also be higher than UU, imo.

I once planned on using a Raichu with Nasty Plot, Thunder Wave, Thunderbolt, and Shock Wave... but I found out facing a Ground type sucks using him and ended up using a Surfing Raichu so I counter those nasty Ground types. All it really needs is some good EV training in Defense, which I'm doing. Then his other stats are fairly balanced with Defense. I actually got him to get +7 using the Power Belt :D

Moltres is UU? Lol. Poor Moltres.

Another I think is under-appriciated is Flygon. He's the same type as Garchomp and has better stat balances, I think; but yet most tiers rank him as UU/BL. :<

Eh I'll bite.
-For a good reason? (Above)

~Anything below the BL tier.
~Same answer as above.
~None, they are fine as they are. Most, however, could use more moves that benefit them.
~The one's in the OverUsed tier.
-Yes, they each stand out from the group for having something special that can be used that is better than the Pokemon in the lower tiers. For having those better qualities they are used the most by the players. Of course every Pokemon can be used effectively in a battle but there has to be a certain strategy to it.

And also, Spiritomb. Just... Spiritomb. And also Garchomp, lots and lots of Garchomp.

electric types usually suck at defense. thats what gets people. but electric types are known for speed.
but at least Lt. Surge and Volkner have one. Stupid Wattson

Executor, it has the highest SP.Atk of all non-legendary pokemon, if it wernt for Celebi, this guy'd be OU, legnedarys should be banned

Most EvveeLoutions, one type and a movepool restricted to mostly that type.
Again, most Evveeloutions, give em a better movepool
Any legendary thats Not Uber, and even the ones that are,it's not just the idiots that think "DAH! LEGI = INVINCIBAL" it's people that put actual work into it too -_-

None, as I don't follow the so-called "Standard" Tiers of the Singles-metagame, which is actually very well flawed according to my own reasons. I enjoy playing mostly 2-on-2 matches, and following a lame list of what I could include in a team or not created by fansites dedicated mainly to the Singles environment and grounded on the basis of frequent use is something I don't pretend to do in a long-time, let alone going after silly rules like OHKO clause, Hax items clause and such.

When playing with Legendary Pokémon (few times, of course), I first talk to my opponent so if (s)he agrees with my rules, which can include Super Legendary (Mewtwo, Lugia, etc.) or 'normal' legendaries (Articuno, Moltres, etc.).

Last edited:
None, as I don't follow the so-called "Standard" Tiers of the Singles-metagame, which is actually very well flawed according to my own reasons. I enjoy playing mostly 2-on-2 matches, and following a lame list of what I could include in a team or not created by fansites dedicated mostly to the Singles environment and grounded on the basis of frequent use is something I don't pretend to do in a long-time, let alone going after silly rules like OHKO clause, Hax items clause and such.

When playing with Legendary Pokémon (few times, of course), I first talk to my opponent so if (s)he agrees with my rules, which can include Super Legendary (Mewtwo, Lugia, etc.) or 'normal' legendaries (Articuno, Moltres, etc.).

Respect +75. I like this.

That is to say, I have nothing of value to add to this topic.

Someone really needs to make Doubles Tiers.

Hey, BMG could do that, and then we'd be famous!

But then it'd be really confusing, because we'd have to tier pairs as well. Pelipper is generally useless, but it's a beast when paired with Quagsire, for example.

I can't believe that magmortar is NU (according to smogon)! Magmortar is a beast given a timid nature plus choice specs/scarf.

Venusaur should be banned to BL or something. It's just too versatile. The damn thing's not the current king of UU for nothing. If it wasn't for Celebi (possibly the only Grass type more versatile than him), this thing could be OU for sure. Speaking of Celebi, ban him (and Latias and Jirachi) to Uber already.

Meganium is a good wall (on both sides of the spectrum), Cleric, tanking and support Pokemon. Needs to move up to UU at least. In the same vein is Jumpluff, who is a fantastic lead and possibly the most annoying thing under the sun.

And let's not forget things like Blastoise, Gardevoir, Absol and Nidoqueen who need to be used a lot more (though they don't necessarily warrant a tier change)

Sadly, Feraligatr, Espeon, Ninetales and Blaziken are pretty solidly outclassed by Gyarados, Alakazam, Houndoom and the monkey respectively. Shame too, those are some of my favorite Pokemon

The Grass Starters all need 5 more base points to match the average starter BST. I think Ninetales' BST should match Arcanine's.

Luxray and Entei need better STAB moves *cough*Volt Tackle and Flare Blitz*cough*.

Also, I still think that Blaziken wants Close Combat and Blastoise wants Slack Off

Oh God. Scizor, Salamence, Tyranitar, Jirachi, Heatran (effing hate this one), the monkey (no, he doesn't deserve to be acknowleged by his actual name), Swampert and Latias (who really needs to go back to Ubers already)

Last edited:
Please note: The thread is from 14 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom