• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Undubbed Pikachu shorts and specials for movies

Kirben

Reaction score
Has there been any official response about why the Pikachu shorts included with Pokemon movies, and the related specials are no longer dubbed? it really puts the English version at a major disadvantage, since it misses out on so much content.

I assume TCPI simply don't care at all, but I'm curious if there was ever a response.

Everything you're talking about has been dubbed into English. They've just never been released on DVD.

I thought they must not have been dubbed, since they were missing from English DVD releases. I didn't realize they had switched to streaming only on Pokemon.com, since I usually stick to physical media.

So just a case of total lack of care for the English DVD releases.

Well yeah, what else is new :p

The non-Pikachu shorts - Mewtwo, Diancie - have gotten airtime on Cartoon Network, as far as I can recall, and the Hoopa short aired on Canadian TV last month. But, again, they're not being included on the Viz DVDs because reasons.

Beyond Home Entertainment have never included any Pikachu shorts or related specials on their Blu-Ray & DVD releases of the Pokemon movies in Australia either, so it isn't just Viz Media. Unfortunately they are never shown on TV in Australia either, although each new Pokemon movie is eventually shown on TV.

Was 'Pikachu's Island Adventure' the last Pokemon short/special to be released in English on DVD? it looks like even 'Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Gates to Infinity' didn't even get a DVD bundle.

I could see them releasing (some of) them in one big collection at a later point. It would partially explain why they're left out of the recent movie 1-3 release in Australia (though there are entries in the end credits for them, as I recall). They do have kind of a different market than the main feature.

I never saw the Pikachu short when I saw the Diance movie. It was just the ads for kids shows (yes, I was watching promos for Disney Fairies and other bullcrap when I was supposed to be watching A POKEMON MOVIE) and bam, title screen, into the movie straight away. No short. :<

Some missing items (correct me if I'm wrong on any of this) are a lot of those Pikachu shorts that were shown on ANA flights. And also that Slowking's Day short. To be fair, though, that last one is utterly pointless, so the dub can afford to skip it.

Some missing items (correct me if I'm wrong on any of this) are a lot of those Pikachu shorts that were shown on ANA flights. And also that Slowking's Day short. To be fair, though, that last one is utterly pointless, so the dub can afford to skip it.
I agree that the dub can skip the last one, most of the Pokemon's voices are different in the dub and the voice actors have to do a song they never heard of and try to keep it in sync with Pikachu and Dedenne, so it's not really worth the time and stress to try to get it dubbed. It's a shame that it's hard to find all of the other Pikachu shorts on the internet.

I agree that the dub can skip the last one, most of the Pokemon's voices are different in the dub and the voice actors have to do a song they never heard of and try to keep it in sync with Pikachu and Dedenne, so it's not really worth the time and stress to try to get it dubbed. It's a shame that it's hard to find all of the other Pikachu shorts on the internet.

Actually, I was saying the "Slowking's Day" short can be skipped.

Beyond Home Entertainment recently responded via Facebook, about the lack of Pikachu shorts on their DVD releases of the Pokemon movies in Australia:
Beyond Home Entertainment: Hello Charlie, thanks for getting in touch. We'd have loved to have been able to include the mini movies but I'm afraid that at this time we have only been able to license the movies themselves and so are unable to include this additional content. If anything changes we'll be sure to let you know!

I wonder if there are rights issues, if they really are been blocked for any DVD releases.

4Kids / Viz managed to get the first six Pikachu shorts on their respective movie DVDs so why is this suddenly an issue now?

4Kids / Viz managed to get the first six Pikachu shorts on their respective movie DVDs so why is this suddenly an issue now?
Only the first three, and fifth Pikachu shorts were released in English in other regions though.

The initial DVD release of Pokemon 4Ever in Australia even listed the Pikachu short as been included, which makes it sounds like late change.
The DVD releases of Pokemon 4Ever and Pokemon Jirachi Wish Makerin the UK are missing the Pikachu shorts too.

The situation would make more sense if the shorts are contractually separate on some level. For what it's worth, the versions of the second and third movies WB had on iTunes before their rights expired had the shorts.

It seems weird to not include the pikcahu shorts and specials on the dvd with the movie. I don't remember seeing any one of them to be honest.

Viz Media are releasing the first three Pokemon movies on Blu-ray in the USA, which will be movies only too, judging by the back cover art. Very disappointing, and it really does make me wonder if there is a rights issue of some kind.

The English version of the Pikachu shorts are becoming rare items at this rate, due to not been included on physical media anymore, and only limited viewing on Pokemon.com.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Please note: The thread is from 8 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom