• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

'Unfriend' is New Oxford American word of the year

Status
Not open for further replies.
...I can imagine people talking, then one of them saying "Oh yay me and so&so are unfriended" or some kid for a report for school "At the end of the book bill became unfriends with Will". Isn't it nice today's world is learning great words!

Unfriend lol my computer does not recognize it either. It sounds childish.

Well I am glad they came up with a word for it... but why not DEFRIENDSHIPITUDE?

It's still kinda weird to me how Internet Slang is merging with regular slang, because I remember when it was like two separate entities/ books to remember... but now it's basically the same. (I guess it's easier so I shouldn't complain)

I'm kind of relieved. I heard a few months ago that it may be "defriend". De sounds even stupider.

Dear lord the internet is become a part of our dictionary now. I have little hope for the future where my children will be illiterate turds. Thanks internet, and your growing stupidity.

I've never heard of paywall, birther or death panel though...

Dear lord the internet is become a part of our dictionary now. I have little hope for the future where my children will be illiterate turds. Thanks internet, and your growing stupidity.

That's ridiculous.

Language is ALWAYS evolving to account for new realities. Whether to describe new items, new actions made possible by those items, or what have you, it's a basic principle of linguistics. Shakespeare's English, or Dicken's English, or Tolkien's English would all be woefully inadequate to describing life in the XXIst century.

When you think about it, the word "internet" itself is a new word that didn't exist before the internet was invented.

That fact I knew about this (thanks to this forum) scored me some points in acting class today!

I've always heard it as "defriend", "unfriend" just sounds weird.

Either way, both aren't recognized by Firefox's spellchecker... yet.

Last edited:
What would this have to do with acting?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom