• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

United States Politics

I'm not even sure you could've called this a debate with how badly Trump got flattened. Hillary utterly crushed him, while also allowing him to showcase exactly why he'd be a bad president should he be elected. This debate is a rather harsh setback for his campaign and if he's smart, he'll use this opportunity to call a timeout and do some thinking about how he'll handle things from here on out.
Tonight, Hillary walks away as the winner of this debate. Time will tell how the future debates go. In any case, the next debate coming up will be on October 4th and will pit Tim Kaine and Mike Pence against one another in this election season 'sVice Presidential Debate.

Just watched the debate tonight. Trump can't do anything right without the aid of a teleprompter, which got people to think he was finally acting "so presidential." I mean, my god! The bar was set so low for him yet he still managed to blow it. Totally unhinged and incoherent. You can tell he was losing his cool when the going got tough, and this is the guy 40% of the population wants to trust the military and nuclear weapons with? Clinton, on the other hand, played it very cool, as a leader of the country should be. Then you got someone like Chuck Todd saying she was "too prepared." How the hell can you be too prepared for the job of president?? :confused: Like I said; unhinged guy with military control and nuclear weapons...

I doubt Trump will ever change his tactic, even with coaching from Roger Ailes and Kellyanne Conway. He managed to muck up the Commander-in-Chief forum on NBC without being fact checked and he still couldn't change for something as important as this. He'll either duck out of the next two debates or we'll just see a repeat of what happened tonight. He seriously cannot change or listen to advice. Never has and never will this late in the game.

Once again, I'm wondering if Trump pulled his punches at the debate because he's trying to throw the fight. Now that the race has narrowed, there's a real possibility that he might have to deal with actual responsibility - which is a bad thing from his POV, since he wanted the attention and thrill of running for president more than he wanted the position, probably.

Different sites are saying different things as to who won the debate last night. A lot of sites are claiming that Clinton won the debate (especially given how overly liberal the media is anymore), while other sources claim that it was Trump who won the debate. In reality, the debate was pretty much a draw, both candidates are pretty problematic and unlikable, and while both had some points, most of the time it was just them throwing insults at each other like a typical internet chat-room flame war.

Nothing was gained or lost from the debate, nobody's minds were changed, and we learned nothing new or different. All I can say is that October is going to be very crazy.

I don't understand this "both candidates are bad" business, especially when you can literally look at last night's debate and see how poorly Trump conducted himself. Any opportunity he had to talk about policy or Clinton's scandals were squandered and he dodged debate questions left and right. Yet people cry bias anyway, even though he screwed himself over more than CNN could ever have hoped to.
By comparison, Clinton scored points simply by letting Trump be himself. She took her chances to talk policy and say what she would actually do instead of vague things like "we need to bring companies back". She also took the opportunity to take shots at Trump himself, rather harsh shots I might note. Even if you don't see the debate as a Clinton victory, it was most certainly a setback for Trump. If he walks into the next two debates as prepared as he was for this one, he's going to lose the election in November by a wide margin. (He likely will anyway, but still.)

The only people I find who claim that Trump won this thing already supported him, so IDK. Actual scientific polling also seems to support the idea that Clinton won the debate, as opposed to online surveys with no quality control. Nothing of substance was really discussed, but the fact that Donald made a colossal ass of himself is definitely going to bring his momentum to a screeching halt.

Clinton's poll numbers did undergo a huge bounce following the DNC, so what I'm hoping for is that we can bring that lead back. This election isn't going to be decided by Trump's supporters, but rather by how many people vote for a third-party candidate or stay home. I really don't want to get Nader'd again.

Sadly, Clinton is a pretty weak nominee. When your alternative is Trump though, it doesn't quite feel like picking your poison lol.
Also another reminder that the Vice Presidential Debate between Mike Pence and Tim Kaine will be on October 4th. Probably won't be as hectic as this recent debate was, but it'll probably still be worth tuning into.

Also another reminder that the Vice Presidential Debate between Mike Pence and Tim Kaine will be on October 4th. Probably won't be as hectic as this recent debate was, but it'll probably still be worth tuning into.
Can't wait to see two cardboard cutouts stand on stage doing nothing for two hours!

What I hope for is that some attention is drawn to Pence's godawful track record regarding LGBTQIA rights. He backed legislation allowing people to discriminate against whoever they wanted (but almost certainly targeted towards queer people), purely on the basis of "religious freedom", and I despise him for it.

The law can't prevent people from hating me (or people like me), but it can prevent them from practicing more blatant discrimination, and I think that's alright.

Other than that yeah it's pretty much two cardboard cutouts making flappy mouth noises at each other

Last edited:
I don't understand this "both candidates are bad" business

Trump's badness doesn't need much explanation at this point. Hillary has her faults, but most of the dislike for her is based on nonsense.

Anyway, it looks like the polls are shifting back to Hillary now and enthusiasm among Democrats is going up. Trump might be in major trouble now.

@swiftfox Lots of slandering dating back to the 70s took a toll on the perception of Clinton. She isn't perfect, of course, but neither is Obama or even Bernie Sanders. The email "scandal" has been blown way out of proportion and it's all Trump has when he talks about her. That, and all the deflection and projection. Seriously, his entire smear campaign can be summed up with "I'm rubber and you're glue."

I was a Bernie supporter during the primaries but I am very happy to be voting for Clinton. My mom who hasn't voted since Reagan in 1980 registered to vote and will be voting this year. My brother and his wife registered for the first time and will be voting. There is a lot at stake but I believe Bernie's vision of making America a better place can be achieved with Clinton, but turned back decades with Trump.

In the aftermath of the debate, it would appear reasonable to conclude Mike Pence as the winner. He gets a failing grade on actual substance, but he was a far more professional debater than Kaine. I did like Kaine's enthusiasm, but it kind of seemed at times like he was a little TOO eager to shoot down Pence's (admittedly empty) arguments. The interruptions didn't help him. It made him seem desperate, which is hardly the position he and Clinton are in right now.
However, I have a hard time saying these results will impact much. In the end, the issue of this debate really wasn't the VPs, but more of a proxy war for Hillary and Trump. Kaine may have lost the debate, but he scored some real damage against Trump. It didn't help the man much at all that Pence didn't really defend him very well. (It's debatable as to whether you COULD defend Trump, but that isn't the issue here)

In any case, we're going back to the main conflict on Sunday with the second debate between the two candidates.

So, that Trump recording...I'd really like to know what the Republican oppsosition research was doing during the primaries.

Honestly, I don't know where it's going to go from here. Lots of Republicans are calling for Trump's withdrawal, but there's only a month to go. Trump's said he's not backing down, but if he changes his mind, it'll open up the opportunity for a more traditional Republican to be President. If that occurs... I don't know. Given how socially regressive a lot of the current GOP platform is, I have a lot of fear for the future, both as a woman and a lesbian.

On the other hand, this cheeto-dusted pig inspires such visceral hatred that it's a travesty to allow him to continue.

I don't like Trump or Clinton. But my god, after what came out about Trump this weekend and the shit storm that soon followed, I cannot wait to see Clinton tear his ass to shreds in the debate tonight.

You know you screwed up big time if your own party is withdrawing support from you.

Please note: The thread is from 7 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom