• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Unovia's Heartgold Gift, Event, & Trade (G. E. T.) Challenge

Unovia

Author of Pokemon of the Week (Travelin' Dan)
Reaction score
Pronouns
  1. He/Him
Welcome To Unovia's Heartgold Gift, Event, & Trade (G. E. T.) Challenge. This is the 4th Challenge I have done. Here is my previous work in case you want to keep the views up:
Pokemon of the Week (POTW), my weekly column:

Pokemon Y "Beauty" Run (Completed):

Pokemon Ultra Moon "Regional Variant" Run (Completed):

Pokemon Yellow Modified Professor Oak's Challenge (Completed):

Here are the Rules for this Challenge:

1. The only Pokemon I can use in this entire playthrough are Pokemon that are Gift Pokemon, Pokemon that are obtainable through In Game Events, and Pokemon that can be Given through In Game Trades.
  2. The In Game Trades allow me to catch the required Pokemon for my end of the trade, opening up more possibilities for a final team.

Can I beat this Game with these rules in place? Only time will tell. I expect that my final team will look like Gold/Ethan. Updates will be a regular occurrence, especially considering how long HGSS is.
Please enjoy watching this challenge, and thank you for all the support you have shown my challenges so far.

Gift Pokemon & Event Pokemon

Captures (Pre-Elite Four)Captures (Post Game)
Chikorita, Cindaquil, or TotodileSnorlax
MareepArticuno
WooperZapdos
SlugmaMoltres
TogepiSuicune
SpearowLugia
SudowoodoLatias
EeveeKyogre
LaprasBulbasaur
ShuckieCharmander
ElectrodeSquirtle
Red GyaradosTreecko
DratiniTorchic
TyrogueMudkip
Entei
Raikou
Ho-Oh

In Game Trades

GiveGet
BellsproutOnix
DrowzeeMachop
KrabbyVoltorb
DragonairDodrio
DugtrioMagneton
HaunterXatu
PikachuPikachu (Foreign)
ForretressBeldum
BonslyRhyhorn
AnySteelix

Log #1-Starting My Journey With A Robbery
Ok, so here we go! I started Heartgold, named myself Ethan (the Protagonist name for Gold), then got my first Pokemon, Cyndaquil. Professor Elm sent me on a quest to go to Mr. Pokemon's House to get something important. Upon leaving the Lab, I saw a red haired boy staring into the building (not suspicious at all). Honestly, I am shocked that Elm or anyone else didn't notice anything about this kid staring into the side window of a building. Not Lyra, not the other NPC's, no one. Where is a cop when you need one?

Anyway, I leveled up Cyndaquil to Level 6 in the wild grass, giving me access to Smokescreen, which will come in handy later, then stopped in this house that had an apricorn tree, obtaining the Apricorn Box, then started collecting Apricorns. In case you don't know, Apricorns are used in Johto for the production of specialty Pokeballs. These Pokeballs are produced by Kurt, who we will run into in Azalea Town further along in our quest. Each Apricorn color produces a different Pokeball. For now, we just collect them.

Eventually, I arrived at Mr. Pokemon's house after passing through Cherrygrove City, where an old man gave me running shoes, which he made a joke about them being warm from his feet (Just nasty), where I met Mr. Pokemon and Professor Oak. Mr. Pokemon gave me an egg that I am to give to Professor Elm to study, and Prof. Oak gives me a Pokedex. The dude just carries them around with him...ok. Upon leaving the house, Prof. Elm, who gave me his number before I left home, calls me, talking about a disaster. Hmm. I wonder who that could have been? Maybe a red haired boy you ignored?

I rush back to Cherrygrove City, and start heading home, when who should approach me but the same redhead who was staring into the lab before. We battle, where I use Smokescreen to drop his accuracy, then Tackle to win the battle. He drops his trainer card, then I go back home, where I am suspected for the robbery. Lyra saves me, then I state that the redhead is named Silver. With my name cleared, I give Elm the egg to study, then am encouraged to take on the Gym Challenge. After healing up my now Level 7 Cyndaquil, I return to Cherrygrove City, where I save for this log. I won't have any more Pokemon until Route 31, so I hope Cyndaquil is good until then.

In the next Log, we will go through to Violet City. Please continue to tune in.

Log #2-Routes 30, 31, & 46, 3 Eggs From Primo, & the First Trade
Passing through Route 30, we participate in our first battles, then move to Route 31, where we capture a Bellsprout, which I will need for the Onix in game trade. Bellsprout is level 3 at this point, so I headed to Route 46, which has Geodude, which I trained it up on, eventually getting to Level 9, same as Cyndaquil. With all of my training done, I moved into Violet City, stopping into the Pokemon Center. In this Pokemon Center, there was a man standing near the PC. This is the guy who, given the right passwords, will give secret rewards. Here is the website:

Using the Generator, I got the Mareep, Wooper, and Slugma eggs. He also gives wallpapers, which I will go and get at a later date. Upon leaving the Pokemon Center, I went to find the guy who gives you an Onix for a Bellsprout. Luckily for me, in Generation 4, Onix learns Rock Throw at Level 9, which would be the same level as my Bellsprout. I completed the trade, then saved the game. In the next log, we will hatch the three eggs, train up the resultant Pokemon, then take on Bellsprout Tower, since I will not be able to battle Faulkner until the tower is conquered.

Stay tuned for the next posting!

Log #3-Discussing the Primo Eggs
So, as you know, we got the Primo Eggs, which are Mareep, Wooper, and Slugma. I am still training them up, and the team should be ready to take on Sprout Tower in the next Log. For this one, I want to discuss the three Pokemon that come from those eggs, starting with Mareep.
179Mareep_OS_anime.png

Mareep is easily the best of the three eggs. The Electric type is very good against the first two Gyms, and considering that this giveaway is the earliest you can get it, you can have a very strong Pokemon very early on. As it Levels up, the move set gets better. If there is a downside, it is that Mareep doesn't get any Electric moves until Level 10. Very reliable partner.

600px-194Wooper.png

Wooper is slow as dirt, especially early on. The typing is pretty good, though. Wooper does get Water Gun right from the get go, but unfortunately, the only Pokemon that you can effectively train on is Geodude, where one Water type move can beat them down. The slowness is a killer though.

218Slugma_OS_anime.png

Slugma is, to put it simply, trash. Even though this is the earliest you can get Slugma, the lack of Speed, Accuracy, or a decent move (It literally starts out with Smog and Yawn) makes Slugma tough to use, if not impossible. Easily a Pokemon I can actually say I strongly don't like. I even forgot it was Generation II debuting. There are many other Fire Types that outclass this thing. Pray that, if you are collecting the Primo Eggs and you pick up Slugma, you have Cyndaquil as your other Fire Type. This thing can even die easily to types it is strong against unless you level it up significantly, which is a massive pain in the butt to do. This thing has to be babied until about Level 8, when it can start (and I emphasize Start) to stand on its own, but even then, it won't be really useful until Level 11. I could go on and on about how irritating this Magma Monster is.

Phew. Anyway, the next log will be about the Sprout Tower. Please look forward to that.

Log #4-Sprout Tower
Sprout Tower.jpg

Sprout Tower, the tower of Violet City. This location is best to visit in the night time, as it is a great location to train for Falkner. I have always thought it was strange that you have a group of monks training Bellsprout in a city with a Flying type Gym Leader. If you train in the tower during the day, the tower is infested with Rattata, while at night, trainers can face Gastly and Zubat along with Rattata. The monks were easy to clear out, especially since my team was strong enough to sweep through.

When I got to the top of the tower, Silver was there, berating the Elder. After he berated me as well, he departed, allowing me to take on the Elder, who also wasn't too much of a challenge. There isn't much else to say about Sprout Tower. I will take a night and train up my team to Level 15 to get my Cyndaquil to Quilava (Lv. 14) and Mareep to Flaaffy (Lv. 15) before I face down the Gym. I still have to be careful with Rocky the Onix, since, as a traded Pokemon, it may begin to disobey after Level 20.

In the next log, we will face Falkner down and get our first Badge. Please continue to support this challenge.

Nice work so far. Sorry I missed the first few updates. I foresee Falkner getting curbstomped by Mareep.
It's cool. Nice to see you back here! I was actually going to do the write up for the battle shortly, so make sure to check through the last few updates, and see what you missed. :D

It's cool. Nice to see you back here! I was actually going to do the write up for the battle shortly, so make sure to check through the last few updates, and see what you missed. :D
Yeah. I did read through. The early parts are generally easy for challenges like this since you have the Starter.
Let me guess how the Falkner battle will go:
Pidgey will be a one shot.
Pidgeotto will be a two shot.

Log #5-Falkner, The Egg Returns, & The First Kimono Girl
As you know, at the end of the last log, I mentioned I was going to train up my team in Sprout Tower. I managed to train Cyndaquil, Mareep, Slugma, and Wooper to Level 12. The problems began with Onix. At Level 11, it was beginning to disobey, which was especially not good, considering I was going to use Onix as a backup for in case Cyndaquil and Mareep fell early to Falkner. With the disobeying begging, I decided to head early to the first Gym.

Falkner.jpg

Falkner's Gym is pretty simple to cross through. Run along the S-shaped pattern, battling his two trainer friends before you reach the dude himself. I especially like the Gen 4 design, especially since there are features built in so you can go around the trainers if you want (the clear paths to the sides). We want the money and experience, so I took the trainers on. Cyndaquil easily edged out both Rod and Abe, clearing the way for me to battle Falkner and getting Cyndaquil to Level 13.

Falkner is a confusing Gym Leader for me. Why does he have so low of Pokemon, and just how old is he? Anyway, back to the battle. I opened with Mareep against his Pidgey. It was a simple OHKO. The real challenge starts with Pidgeotto. Mareep hits with Thundershock, which drops the HP by a third. Pidgeotto uses Roost, meaning it would take more attacks to take it down. Another Thundershock undid the Roost healing, then another hit took Pidgeotto down. 1 Badge down!
175Togepi_SM_anime.png

Upon leaving the Gym, I got a call from Prof. Elm, telling me that the egg was going to be given to me by his aide. Meeting with the aide, he gives me the egg. This egg will eventually hatch into Togepi. In Gen 2, Togepi was a weak option, only evolving into Togetic. Starting in Gen 4, You can see Togepi turn to Togetic and then eventually Togekiss. Unfortunately, in this Generation, the Fairy type did not exist. Slugma is going to be a good Hatcher in my team, since it has Flame Body, the best ability to hatch eggs with. I left the Poke Mart, coming face to face with the first Kimono Girl (Zuki) who tells me to take care of the egg.

In the next log, we will move down Route 32 and through Union Cave. Please continue to watch us.

Welp. I was right about the Pidgey. Way off about Pidgeotto.
Also, about the fact he has a low level team: It's because you the player has no badges. If he was say, the last Gym leader, his team would of course be stronger and better.

Log #6-Route 32, Union Cave, & The First Steps Into Azalea Town
Moving onto Route 32, I started training up more, beating the trainers. Eventually, Cyndaquil evolved into Quilava. At the same time, the egg hatched, becoming Togepi. Togepi has Extrasensory, meaning it was very able to train in the Union Cave. Steadily, I got my team up to Level 15, also evolving Mareep to Flaaffy in the process. With my team trained up, I departed Union Cave under a rain storm.

Running to Azalea Town, I saw a man in a Black outfit shoving a person back before they stood in front of a well. They look familiar, but I can't remember from where. Maybe if I play more and advance the story some more, I will find out. I also met Kurt, who instead of making Apricorn Pokeballs, he decided to be a hero and go out there to fight Team Rocket! Team Rocket? I thought Red beat them 3 Years Ago. Yet, here they are...sigh.

In the next log, we will face down Team Rocket so I can get access to Kurt's services and open up the Azalea Gym. Where is Bugsy? Shouldn't he be helping too? Yet, I have to do what Red could not apparently do. See you then.

Log #7-Slowpoke Well & Bugsy
With Kurt going to Slowpoke Well, I decided to head there as well. Might as well see what happens. Turns out, as I head in there, I find Kurt on his back, saying he startled the guard, then hurt himself. Sigh. Looks like I have to handle this myself. Moving into the cavernous space, I take on some of the Team Rocket grunts. They claimed to have a bunch of grunts there, but I only battled 3 before taking on their admin for this job.
319px-HeartGold_SoulSilver_Proton.png

Due to my training, Togepi was the next one to be trained up. I used Togepi to clear out Proton, who had Zubat and Koffing. Togepi easily swept him. Pledging revenge, Proton escaped, as did the rest of Team Rocket...for now. I have to deal with them again? Just wonderful. At least I stopped them this time. Kurt, now somehow better, claims to rescue me from the well, when it is I who did his job. Kurt promises to make Apricorn balls for me in gratitude. Finally I have a reason to collect Apricorns.
Bugsy.png

Moving on to the next thing to do in this town, with Team Rocket gone, I can now challenge Bugsy. While I am at it, I need to ask him why he was not there to help at Slowpoke Well. Slowpoke Well is part of Azalea Town after all. I cleared out the trainers, all a bunch of Bug catchers. Making sure I had my fire types and rock types ready to go for this fight, I opened with Onix against Scyther, especially because if you let Scyther get started, it can sweep through with speed. Onix beat Scyther easily with a few Rock Throws, blocking Scyther from using U Turn. I then switched to Slugma to take Metapod out, finishing with Flaaffy against Kakuna, and even though the hard shells stalled me, I beat Bugsy down. 2nd Badge down.

In the next log, we will face Ilex Forest, getting through there while training as needed. We will also get to Goldenrod. There will be a few exchanges there. Before I start through Ilex, I am going to deposit Onix in the box. I will have to get Kenya the Spearow and a Drowzee for the trade in Goldenrod for the Machop.
Looks like more trades are comng soon. See you then.

Good job with Bugsy. Up next is Whitney, though thanks to your rules, You will be able to use the trade Machop.
Even so, the Machop is not likely to be the only Pokemon that will have to be used, though I will have a bit before then. Bugsy had no real reaction to Onix.

Log #8-Ilex Forest, Route 34, & First Steps In Goldenrod
After beating Bugsy, I stomped Silver, then took on Ilex Forest. The main goal here is to get the Cut HM and catching the Farfetch'd. Stupid Farfetch'd puzzle. The Gen II and IV edition of the Furfrou Puzzle from X & Y. The first Farfetch'd was easy, it was the other one that required a bit of chasing, but I got it, earning the Cut HM and the Charcoal item, which I put on my Quilava. Upon leaving Ilex Forest, I cleared out the Trainers on the road, arriving in Goldenrod, my next stop. I was told about the Radio Card Contest for the Pokegear, which is nice. Before I do that, however, I am going back on Route 34 to catch my Drowzee. I would have caught it, except for the fact that the drama with Ilex Forest was a lot to deal with, and my game needed to charge.

In the next log, I will find and train my Drowzee, then trade for Machop. In that same log, I will get Kenya the Spearow, placing Slugma in the box in order to get it. I think I will train my team to Level 24 so I can get Machop at nearly the time to evolve. Won't take me too long I am sure. See you on the next log.

Log #9-Drowzee, Machop, Kenya, and Getting the Bike
I ran south out of Goldenrod, catching Drowzee on Route 34. I trained Drowzee slowly up to Level 17, same as my team. I traded the Drowzee for Machop, named Muscle. Muscle is gong to be my star for the battle against Whitney. On a normal playthrough, I normally use Heracross. Not so much this time.

I then gathered a bike from the bike shop, then rode up through Route 35, eventually training up Togepi to Togetic. At the gate of Route 35, I collected Kenya the Spearow. In order to have both Kenya and Muscle, Slugma was boxed. One third of my team is now Outsider.

According to the Obedience standards, I have the ability to train up to Level 30. If I train up too much, then it will be hard to get to Morty without some problems. At the same time, if I don't, Whitney will be able to bust me down. I guess flip the coin.

In the next log, we will face down Whitney, the hardest Gym of the Johto Gyms. See you next time.

Log #10-Whitney & The Demon Cow
After taking some time and training up to Level 20, including evolving Wooper to Quagsire, so I could match the levels in the Gym, I decided, somewhat hesitantly, to take it on. I can't do anything beyond Goldenrod. The tree is still blocking the way north, and there is nothing I can do outside of the city, so I steeled my nerve and walked into the Gym. The Gym is shaped like a Clefairy, and it takes a bit to figure out where all the walkways go, but eventually I figured it out. To give everyone in my team the ability to be trained and gain experience, I did a rotational training strategy.

Whitney.jpg

Soon, it was time to take her on. I opened with Machop against Clefairy. Clefairy is not a Pokemon that should be underestimated. It has the ability Cute Charm, which has a 30% chance to make a Pokemon infatuated if Clefairy is hit with a move that makes contact. Most fighting moves do this, so that was a major possibility. Machop took Clefairy down after being slapped 5 times., and there was no infatuation. Hooray for me! The battle was only half done, however.

The real fight was about to begin, however. Miltank, the demonic cow. Miltank is a nightmare in a lot of ways. It has the ability Scappy, which blocks using Ghost types from being immune from attacks. Stomp can flinch. Rollout can get insanely powerful. Attract can be used to immobilize a Pokemon that is the alternate gender attacking Pokemon. Milk Drink can be used to heal up Miltank. On top of that, Miltank has a Lum Berry, which can be used to heal over status attacks, leaving attackers having to reapply a status that was previously applied. With all of this, Miltank is hard to take down. Normally, I have a Heracross, which is easily able to take it down. This time, I don't, so what to do?

Switching out, I changed to Flaaffy using a status strategy. Flaffy used Thunderwave, which forced Miltank to use its Lum Berry. I then paralyzed Miltank again. Miltank used Stomp to whittle Flaffy down. All Flaaffy did as a last strike was a Thundershock. With Flaaffy fainted, I switched to Machop, which immediately got hit by the first Rollout. Machop kept hitting back with Karate Chop, taking the helpless Miltank down in two hits.

Third Badge down! After Whitney cried (what a crybaby!), she gave me the badge, then advised me to go to the Pokeathelon Dome. Instead of going there right now, I think I am going to go back to that tree with a spray can and see what happens. In the next log, we will do that and solve this mystery. Join us then!

Log #11-The Mystery Of The Rocky Tree, Giving Kenya Back, & Meeting Bill
To the north of Goldenrod, the tree sat there, mocking me. Going to the gardening store, I flashed my badge, then got the Squirtbottle. Running through Route 36, I found the rocky tree. Squirting it, the tree attacked, revealing itself to be Sudowoodo.
600px-185Sudowoodo.png

After I whittled it down and paralyzed it, I tried to capture it, and it broke out of a Great Ball. I then responded with an Ultra Ball, capturing the tree. Running back through Route 31, I collected the Rock Smash HM I had missed before, then gave Kenya back. Most of you may say that was a mistake, but it opened up the needed space for Sudowoodo, so that is okay. Stepping into Ecruteak, I met Bill, who headed off to Goldenrod. I will be heading back there, since he gives you an Eevee, which I will then discuss the Eeveelution options in the next Log.

Eevee awaits! See you later!

Please note: The thread is from 3 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom