• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Unovia's Pokemon Crystal "Team Rocket" Run

Log #22-Olivine Lighthouse
Glitter Lighthouse.jpg
I headed back to Olivine City, where I decided to take on the Olivine Lighthouse. There are quite a few trainers here, and eventually I got to the top, where I met a girl named Jasmine, who was there, taking care of a sick Ampharos. She asked me to collect medicine from Cianwood. She is going to be waiting for it for a while.

After I beat all of the trainers and got done with the Lighthouse (right now), I headed back to Mahogany Town. My next location to check out for me is the Lake of Rage. In the next Log, we will go to the Lake of Rage, where a strange Gyarados is waiting for us to see.

What is strange about this Gyarados? In the next Log, we will find out. Until the next time, we will see you!

Log #23-Lake of Rage
Lake of Rage.jpg
Lake of Rage
Heading up from Mahogany Town, I battled a few trainers on my way to the Lake of Rage. Sitting at the edge of the lake, I am still not sure what is special about this place and what I am about to see. Sailing onto the Lake, I headed to the center of the lake where I ran into a Red Gyarados. Wait...A Red Gyarados...what the heck happened? Gyarados is normally Blue, so something must have happened.

Regardless, it is a rare Pokemon, and I want to catch it! I used Magneton (Level 31) to take it on (Level 30). It took 2 tries, and it almost took out Magneton, though Magneton managed to lower the Gyarados enough for me to catch it. I was left to wonder, what had I actually caught, and just who had done this? Upon getting to the end, I ran into a guy named Lance, who asked me to go with him back to Mahogany Town. Just what would I find there?

In the next Log, we will go and meet up with Lance. Until the next time, we will be seeing you!

Log #24-Team Rocket HQ
220px-Team_Rocket_HQ_PG.png
Meeting with the dude Lance, I came into a shop within the town. Lance was using Dragonite to attack a shopkeeper (How was this allowed?!), who opened up a staircase, which Lance traveled down. I followed him, and I found that the area below the shop was a Team Rocket HQ. Why was I not told to come here to work? I am a member of Team Rocket! I traveled through, forcibly having to battle the grunts and scientists here, since they would not listen to me, even though I tried to tell them I was one of them. I took a break occasionally to train some of my Team on Route 43.

While I traveled back to Goldenrod City, preparing to continue my Eevee getting the haircut and build friendship, Eevee learned Bite and evolved into Umbreon! Finally! Now with my evolved Umbreon, I finished the HQ. It's unfortunate that I could not convince the members to join me instead....

Right now, my Team is Level 32, and I plan to get my Team to Level 37. At Level 37, Slowpoke will evolve to Slowbro and at Level 38, Koffing will become Weezing. Once my Team is Level 37, we will be taking on the next Log, which will be taking on Pryce for the next Gym and controlling Mahogany Town. Until the next time, we will be seeing you!

I think it's funny how back when Gold and Silver first came out, the Red Gyarados was seen as this amazing Pokémon due to its color, but now its like "oh a free shiny. Nice!" It's no longer seen as special. To a lot of people, it's just another shiny to add to the collection.

Last edited:
I think it's funny how back when Gold and Silver first came out, the Red Gyarados was seen as this amazing Pokémon due to its color, but now its "like oh a free shiny. Nice!" It's no longer seen as special. To a lot of people, it's just another shiny to add to the collection.
Yeah, I find that interesting. It really is a funny thing. I was started with Gen I, so when Gen II came out, the Red Gyarados was my first exposure to a Shiny, and I have seen very few shinies throughout the game experience.

Log #25-Finally Taking Over Mahogany Town (Gym #5)
Pryce.jpg
At Level 34, I decided to take on Mahogany Gym, mainly because I didn't want to sit and train forever, since all of the Pokemon in the grass on Route 43 are lower than even Level 20.

Mahogany Gym
Mahogany Gym is one of the most challenging Gym puzzles in the game. The ice sliding is tricky to do. I used the Trainers to give my Team a bit more experience. Eventually, I got to be in front of Pryce, the last opponent to Team Rocket rule in Mahogany Town.

Pryce opened with Seel (Level 27), and I opened with Magneton (Level 34). One Thundershock took it down. Next for Pryce was Piloswine (Level 31). I was not sure who I wanted to use against it. I thought about either Feraligatr or Machoke, since Piloswine is weak to either Water or Fighting moves, among other types. In the end, Feraligatr (Level 34) took Piloswine on. One Surf ended that fight. Last for Pryce was Dewgong (Level 29). Magneton came back out to battle, ending the Gym with one Thundershock.

With Pryce defeated, there was no remaining opposition. For a little bit, I am going to get my Team To Level 35, since Magneton is close and I still have to get Koffing caught up. In the next Log, we will head west to Olivine, then make the journey to Cianwood. Until the next time, we will be seeing you!

Log #26-Running A Ferry Service
Whirl Islands.jpg
From Olivine City, I crossed the sea, arriving in Cianwood. Koffing evolved at Level 35, so I didn't have to worry about using it. I took some time, making sure I got to Level 37, which allowed me to create my major Team to play through to the Elite Four.

1673034542599.png

At Cianwood, I got the Secret Potion, which would heal Amphy. I also battled Eusine, which I destroyed with Umbreon. Suicune ran off as well.
Glitter Lighthouse.jpg
At Glitter Lighthouse, I gave the potion to Jasmine, who healed Amphy. At this point, I had managed to unlock Cianwood & Olivine. I sailed back to Cianwood, preparing to take on the Cianwood City Gym.

In the next Log, we will do double take down, taking on Cianwood Gym & Olivine Gym, which will allow us to control both cities. Until the next time, we will see you!

Log #27-A Double Take Down (Gyms #6 & #7)
Chuck.jpg
Cianwood Gym
Going into Cianwood Gym, I trained up by beating the trainers, giving Machoke Strength, which allowed me to get to Chuck. Chuck opened with Primeape (Level 27), and I opened with Slowbro (Level 37). Primeape did little damage with Fury Swipes, and Slowbro took Primeape down with Confusion.

Next for Chuck was Poliwrath (Level 30), which I battled with Magneton (Level 37). Poliwrath put Magneton to sleep, which could have taken Magneton down with Dynamic Punch. Forunately, I had a Mint Berry, which woke up Magneton, allowing me to defeat the Paralyzed Poliwrath. With Chuck defeated, I now have control of Cianwood City. Grabbing Fly from Chuck's wife, I flew back to Olivine.
Jasmine.jpg
Olivine Gym
Going into Olivine Gym, I realized there were no other Trainers in the Gym, giving me free access to Jasmine. She opened with her first Magnemite (Level 30) and I opened with Machoke (Level 37). One Karate Chop, and Magnemite fell. The next Magnemite (Level 30) came out and it was repeated. Last for Jasmine was Steelix (Level 35) and I switched to Feraligatr (Level 37), and a Surf took it out. I was surprised Ampharos didn't join into the battle, considering that Jasmine was helping to take care of it. It would have been an increased challenge if it had been, since that would have required a greater strategy.

I finally brought Olivine City under my control. As I left the Olivine Gym, Professor Elm called me, panicking about the Goldenrod Radio Tower, saying Team Rocket was taking over the Tower. As a member of Team Rocket, I am conflicted, since it would advantage me if Team Rocket took it over. However, considering how incompetent my coworkers have been, I have to go there.

In the next Log, we will travel to Goldenrod Radio Tower. Until the next time, we will see you!

Your team is coming along, even though you are rather limited in what you can use. Who would you say is the MVP of your team?
Well, I would say that whenever I run an Eeveelution, it's usually the MVP, mainly because the Eevees are a bit of a wild card, since they can be varied in their movesets. Frankly right now, I would have to give the MVP title to a split between Umbreon (the Eevee) and Slowbro, mainly because they are the defensive walls of the team.

Log #28-Rocket Radio
Archer.jpg
Goldenrod Radio Tower
Taking on the Goldenrod Radio Tower is a grueling challenge, but I felt like I had to beat all of these grunts, since they didn't respect me as one of the grunts...One of their own!!! I easily swept through the grunts (and some of the Admins.). The first area that stalled me out was getting to the Underground, where I had to defeat Twerp, then go through the "Shutter Puzzle", which took me a bit to go through. I got the Director, then found my way to Team Rocket's (and my) Boss, Archer, who fell easily to Feraligatr.

One thing I noticed was that toward the back of the struggle, the last few battles were actually very close to my Levels (they would be in the mid to upper 30's, while I am sitting at 38-40), creating a tougher battle. Once I beat Archer, he dismantled the Team, something I obviously didn't want to happen...Sigh...

Team Rocket left, and I got an item from the Director, a Clear Bell. Apparently, the rest of Team Rocket was talking about the news going on in Ecruteak, something involving a rare event...

In the next Log, we will go to explore this event. Until the next time, we will be seeing you!

Honestly, I feel like if you are doing a "Team (insert name) Grunt" run, you are better off doing it in a game that does not have that team in it. Like, doing Team Rocket in any game that is not in Kanto or Johto. That way, you don't encounter the situation of having to take down your own team in order to continue the story.

Log #29-Tin Tower & Suicune
600px-245Suicune.png
Tin Tower
In Ecruteak City, there is a location called the Tin Tower, though it is initially hard to find because it is hidden behind an unassuming house. I found a few monks in this area. These monks wanted me to show the Clear Bell (that I had gotten at Log #28), which allowed me to continue forward. I eventually was tested by 3 Monks, who were the "Wise Trio". It took a bit, and I defeated them. This gained me access to the Tin Tower itself.

Suicune
As I came into Tin Tower, I was pushed into an unexpected fight with Suicune to actually try to catch it. It took me a few tries, and I actually had to do some shopping to get enough Great Balls to go to capture Suicune. Unfortunately, I couldn't buy Ultra Balls yet... Another element was what status to put on Suicune. Eventually, I settled on using Magneton to Paralyze, then use Slowbro as a wall to chip Suicune down. Shockingly, I captured Suicune after quite a few tries. OMG that was insane!

The Next Log
In the next Log, we will go to Route 44 & Ice Path. Until the next time, we will be seeing you!

Honestly, I feel like if you are doing a "Team (insert name) Grunt" run, you are better off doing it in a game that does not have that team in it. Like, doing Team Rocket in any game that is not in Kanto or Johto. That way, you don't encounter the situation of having to take down your own team in order to continue the story.
This has mainly been a trial run on a type of Run like this. I may take that advice on the next Run (whatever I plan to do). :D

Please note: The thread is from 1 year ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom