• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Unovia's Pokemon Crystal "Team Rocket" Run

Log #30-Route 44 & Ice Path
600px-215Sneasel.png
From Mahogany Town, I headed east, exploring and defeating the trainers on Route 44, which brought me into the Ice Path. The Ice Path was very tricky to solve, mainly the rock pushing, but I managed to get through with a bit of help.

Once I got through there, I arrived at Blackthorn, then turned around, looking for a Sneasel. I eventually found and caught it, then went back to Blackthorn. From Blackthorn, I headed south, capturing a Skarmory as well. This filled my first PC Box, getting Bill to call me and tell me to change out the Box.

In the next Log, we will take on Blackthorn City Gym. Before we do that, we will collect the Experience Share from Mr. Pokemon.

Until the next time, we will be seeing you!

You never got the EXP Share after getting the Scale? Why wait until now to get it? You are at the end game.
Didn't have Fly. You get access to Fly after beating Chuck, which I hadn't done at the time. Also, this is a good time to get the EXP. Share, since I am going to be going into Kanto soon, and most of the wild Pokemon are lower level.

Log #31-The Dragons of Blackthorn (Gym #8)
HeartGold_SoulSilver_Clair.png
Before I got to Blackthorn, I got the Exp. Share from Mr. Pokemon. The Exp. Share will be helpful in the future, especially in Kanto. Once I got it, I headed back to Blackthorn for the last Gym Badge. I bested the trainers, then did the puzzle, which was a Strength Puzzle. Once I did that, I took a moment, trained up my Squad to match Level 41 (what my Feraligatr ended up being), then I took Clair on.

Blackthorn Gym
Clair was a bit tricky, only because the Dragonairs (Level 37), had a habit of getting to the red, requiring another Ice Punch from Feraligatr. The Kingdra (Level 40) was a tough customer, eventually taking out Feraligatr, only to lose to Magneton and Tri Attack. Once I beat Clair, she refused to accept her city was mine, telling me that I had to prove myself by going to the Dragon's Den.

In the next Log, we will prove ourselves to Clair, taking ownership of Blackthorn City. Until the next time, we will be seeing you!

Why was Claire even allowed to be a Gym Leader when she has this attitude? Heck, why was Whitney allowed to? I feel like a Gym Leader should be able to handle a loss and not be such a sore loser. She should have just given us the badge and not be such a poor sport.

Why was Claire even allowed to be a Gym Leader when she has this attitude? Heck, why was Whitney allowed to? I feel like a Gym Leader should be able to handle a loss and not be such a sore loser. She should have just given us the badge and not be such a poor sport.
I am convinced she has been allowed to maintain her beliefs due to how tough it is to get to her Gym or beat the Dragon Type (Clair). As far as Whitney, she is a younger girl, a kinda whiny teenager.

I am convinced she has been allowed to maintain her beliefs due to how tough it is to get to her Gym or beat the Dragon Type (Clair). As far as Whitney, she is a younger girl, a kinda whiny teenager.
I guess. I mean, how many people actually mange to get that far in any given game (aside from the player of course)?

Log #32-Dragon Den
Dragon's Den.jpg
Dragon Den
I headed to Dragon's Den so I could get my Rising Badge from Clair. Unfortunately, Slowbro can't learn Whirlpool or Waterfall. Feraligatr could learn Whirlpool but not Waterfall. Feraligatr was given Whirlpool, which allowed me to go through the event. I got a Dratini that had Extremespeed by giving the "Twerp" answers. Upon leaving, I got the Rising Badge. Elm also called, giving me the Master Ball, which I went to collect.

In order to be able to move forward, I need a Pokemon that can use Whirlpool & Waterfall. I am going to be training the Red Gyarados to match my Team. Gyarados is going to take the place of Slowbro when I use him, mainly as a swap in.

What are we going to do to move forward is trying to catch the Legendary Beasts. Both Umbreon & Crobat learn Mean Look at Level 42, the only way to get the Legendary Beasts to stay. In the next Log, we will be attempting to catch Raikou & Entei. Until the next time, we will be seeing you!

I guess. I mean, how many people actually mange to get that far in any given game (aside from the player of course)?
According to Agatha in Pokemon Generations 03 The Challenger, it's not many. It seems like most people in the Pokemon Universe get only a few badges, and very few actually complete the Gym Challenge.

Where Most Trainers Likely Falter In Each Region:
Kanto-Koga or Sabrina
Johto-Whitney or Morty
Hoenn-Flannery or Norman
Sinnoh-Maylene, Crasher Wake, or Fantina
Unova-Lenora/Roxie or Elesa
Kalos-Grant or Korrina
Galar-Kabu or Bea/Allister

(Can't add Paldea yet)

So, I Found Out Something...
pokemon-go-legendary-dogs-rotate_feature.jpg
So, I am still training Gyarados to Level 40 so I can use it and Max Repels to get Entei & Raikou. I am at Level 33 right now. Anyway, on to what I found out...

Turns out, in Crystal, the only way to go after Ho-Oh is to capture ALL 3 LEGENDARY BEASTS,get through the Hall of Fame, and get the Rainbow Wing.

I just think it's crazy that you are practically required to get the Beasts to go after another Legendary, especially since they are hard to pin down. Here is my strategy:
1. Gyarados & Super Repel to trick them out.
2. Switch Gyarados for Crobat (Raikou) or Umbreon (Entei).
3. Mean Look & Chip Damage, involving as many Poke Balls as I can carry. Thinking Ultra and Great Balls.

Any advice would be appreciated.

The way you outline this journey is incredible! Thanks for sharing, when I'm starting into Crystal I am gonna have to refer to this and reference your work! Like pages of a book! I've thoroughly enjoyed this and I'll be jumping back to look at the others you've completed.

The way you outline this journey is incredible! Thanks for sharing, when I'm starting into Crystal I am gonna have to refer to this and reference your work! Like pages of a book! I've thoroughly enjoyed this and I'll be jumping back to look at the others you've completed.
Thank you so much! Your compliments are incredible! I will be adding you to my group to discuss my playthroughs as they are developed.

Log #33-Tohjo Falls
Tohjo Falls.jpg
Ok, so I decided to abandon going after Entei & Raikou. It's just too tricky to get them in Generation II. That means I am likely passing up Ho-oh. However, I might end up gettng them, I just didn't want to wait too long for that next Log.

Tohjo Falls
As I crossed into Kanto, a man met me, congratulating me on this accomplishment. My Gyarados has Waterfall & Whirlpool (It was dumb that Slowbro couldn't learn either one). :(
When I traveled past the falls, I battled a few strong trainers and found that the Wild Pokemon are much stronger on this side (Level 30's). Eventually, I found myself at a healing house, then headed to the Victory Road. I think I am going to take some time and boost up my Team using the grass in this area.

My Team For The League:
1673984619984.png

Levels for the League (My Team is Level 42 right now):
Machoke (Level 61)
Moves:
Strength
Karate Chop
Vital Throw
Submission

Magneton (Level 53)
Moves:
Thunder Shock
Sonic Boom
Tri Attack
Zap Cannon

Umbreon (Level 52)
Moves:
Faint Attack
Mean Look
Confuse Ray
Shadow Ball

Slowbro (Level 54)
Moves:
Surf
Psychic
Headbutt
Confusion

Feraligatr (Level 58)
Moves:
Surf
Ice Punch
Bite
Hydro Pump

Crobat (Level 55)
Moves:
Fly
Mean Look
Wing Attack
Bite

Honestly, I don't think it will take too long to raise my Team up. I think the last one to level up is going to be Slowbro, since Gyarados is needed for travel across the Waterfall. In the next Log, we will be taking on Victory Road. Until the next time, we will be seeing you!

This part has always perplexed me from the days that Brock and Misty joined Ash in the Anime. Is there a particular order for approaching gym badges in the PokeVerse? How does one attain this privilege? Seems like there is little prestige or perhaps even knowledge about one another gym leaders in each generation. But in generation 1, at least the games, Brock does mention testing out your skills at the Cerulean Gym.

Side note:
How do you like utilizing Umbreon? I hope to give that one a try in my FireRed solo series as I've have always wanted, but never had access to, that Pokémon.

This part has always perplexed me from the days that Brock and Misty joined Ash in the Anime. Is there a particular order for approaching gym badges in the PokeVerse? How does one attain this privilege? Seems like there is little prestige or perhaps even knowledge about one another gym leaders in each generation. But in generation 1, at least the games, Brock does mention testing out your skills at the Cerulean Gym.

Side note:
How do you like utilizing Umbreon? I hope to give that one a try in my FireRed solo series as I've have always wanted, but never had access to, that Pokémon.
Well, in my view, based on what I know, there doesn't seem to be a particular order regarding Gym Badges. It appears to me that the logic would indicate that the Pokeverse is like Pokemon Origins, where a trainer tells the Gym Leader how many Badges they have, and the Gym Battle is scaled to accommodate.

Regarding your Side Note, Umbreon is an interesting Eeveelution. This is, honestly, the first time I have ever actually used an Umbreon. Usually, when I play a Johto game, I lean more toward Espeon, as I prefer Espeon more. The more I play with Umbreon, the more I like it, however. It's highly defensive, very versatile. If you manage to get access, I strongly encourage experimentation. However, in Fire Red & Leaf Green, Espeon & Umbreon are inaccessible.

Eeveelutions By Preference:
1. Jolteon
2. Sylveon
3. Espeon
4. Vaporeon
5. Umbreon
6. Flareon
7. Leafeon
8. Glaceon

My Plan Moving Forward
Hey Folks!
My Team is still in development, but I have a plan moving forward, and I want to let you all know so I can continue to get support from all who have been viewing, commenting, and liking these posts, both past and present.

My Future Logs:
Log #34-Victory Road (Level 50)
Log #35-Pokemon League (Levels 52-61, depending on Team Member)
Log #36-Celebi Event (Yes, you can get Celebi in the Crystal VGC)
Log #37-S. S. Aqua
Log #38-Murkrow & Houndour

Please look forward to these next Logs, as they are developed. Thank you all for your consistent support. See you all soon!

Log #34-Victory Road
Victory Road was a notably empty location, and it was surprisingly easy to get to the end. At the end, I battled Twerp, who was there to train. He taunted me, then we battled. He had an entire Team of 6 Pokemon, and unfortunately, I had to battle him only using 5 Pokemon (sorry Slowbro). Still, Umbreon does better at the job with taking out Psychic & Ghost Types. Anyway, Twerp opened with Sneasel (Level 34), and I opened with Machoke (Level 50). Machoke used Karate Chop, defeating Sneasel. Next for Twerp was Golbat (Level 36), and I changed to Magneton (Level 50). One Thundershock took out Golbat.Twerp brought out his own Magneton (Level 35), and I switched back to Machoke, who defeated Magneton.

Twerp sent out Meganium (Level 38), which made me think that maybe Twerp was trying to find a way to reverse his fortunes. I was not sure if I wanted to send out Feraligatr (Level 50) or Crobat (Level 50), settling on Crobat, who took Meganium down with one Wing Attack. Twerp then sent out Haunter (Level 35) and Kadabra (Level 35), which I used Umbreon (Level 50) for. Umbreon took both of them out using Shadow Ball. Twerp left, and I continued on to the Pokemon League Pokemon Center, where I withdrew Slowbro (Level 50).

Now with my Team set, I am going to finish Training. In order, the Team will be:
Umbreon-52
Magneton-53
Slowbro-54
Crobat-55
Feraligatr-58
Machoke-61

In the next Log, we will be taking on the Elite Four & Champion! Until the next time, we will be seeing you!

Johto Elite Four.jpg

I had a bit of a brainfart. I was like, why is Magneton not a Magnezone yet, forgetting that the thing did not exist in Gen 2,
Yeah, that is one thing that playing an old game forces you to do, remember what was available then. :D
That would be one thing that another Johto remake (something Gen 9 perhaps) would allow us to do, though I know Magnezone was available starting in Gen 4.

Please note: The thread is from 1 year ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom