• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Unovia's Pokemon Crystal "Team Rocket" Run

Log #48-Diglett's Cave & Route 2
Diglett's Cave.jpg
Diglett's Cave
I didn't know what to make of Diglett's Cave, not being sure if it would require Flash or not. When I walked in and it didn't, I was relieved. It was more of a straight forward location, and didn't present too much of a challenge. Thank goodness I had remembered to move my Sandslash (Cut user) into my Team, removing Magneton temporarily. This would also come in handy in Viridian Forest shortly.
Viridian Forest.jpg
Viridian Forest
Ok, so what happened to the Forest? This is seen as the Forest of Kanto, and it was very depleted. Umbreon took out all of the Bug Catchers, though I thought about using Houndoom. Don't want to burn down the Forest and hurt it any more than it clearly has.

Passing out of the Forest helped me arrive at Pewter City. In the next Log, we will take on the Pewter Gym for control of the City. Until the next time, we will be seeing you!

Thank you for the 4,000+ Views! We haven't seen this level of support (or more than 3,000 Views) since the Alpha Sapphire Run! Thank you all so much! Please continue to support!

Log #49-Pewter City
DP-Brock.png
Pewter City
I arrived here at night, and there didn't look to be much going on around town, but I saw that the Gym was open, so after I brought Magneton back into the Team and Sandslash back in the Box, I healed, then headed out to the Gym.

Pewter Gym
The Gym was largely bare bones...one trainer & the Gym Leader, Brock. Because my entire Team was Level 59, I was able to use Feraligatr. Brock opened with Graveler (Level 41) and I opened with Slowbro (Level 59). One Surf took it out. Next came Omastar (Level 42) and I was not sure initially what to do, but I sent out Magneton (Level 59). One Thundershock took it out. Next was Kabutops (Level 42) and I sent out Feraligatr (Level 59). For some reason, I thought Ice would be effective against Kabutops, since I knew Water wouldn't be. It became a back and forth, with Feraligatr using Ice Punch and Kabutops using Giga Drain, which surprised me. Feraligatr managed to bring an end to Kabutops. Both Rhyhorn (Level 41) and Onix (Level 44) were both beaten by Slowbro, since I decided to switch out Feraligatr.

Another City under Team Rocket control, I decided to continue on to Route 3, where I battled a few Trainers heading to Mt. Moon. I ended up walking initially into Mt. Moon, fighting Twerp, who just happened to be there. He opened with Sneasel (Level 41) and I opened with Magneton. Magneton missed 2 Zap Cannons but connected with the 3rd. Golbat fell also to Magneton. Houndoom (Level 59) took out Magneton (Level 41), Meganium (Level 45), Gengar (Level 43), & Alakazam (Level 43) using a combination of Flamethrower for the first 2 and Crunch for the later 2. Twerp seems to have matured, learning to trust his Pokemon.

In the next Log, we begin to go after the last Legendary Beast, Entei. Until the next time, we will see you!

Log #50-Hunting The Beasts In Johto
600px-245Suicune.png
Here we go! Time to do the most challenging thing in any Johto game, hunting the Legendary Beasts!

Beast 1: Suicune

Suicune is a stationary encounter in Pokemon Crystal. It is met in Ecruteak City, in the Tin Tower, summoned after freeing Goldenrod from Team Rocket and collecting the Clear Bell. I managed to catch it in a previous Log.
243Raikou_OS_anime.png
Beast 2: Raikou
I chased Raikou for quite some time, eventually catching it on Route 43 & Lake of Rage. Because Raikou is so fast, I caught it using the Master Ball. Raikou was caught in a previous Log.
555px-244Entei_OS_anime.png
Beast 3: Entei
Entei is the main focus of this Log. By chance, I had lowered Entei's health over various encounters, but I could not pin it down using Umbreon & Crobat, even though I had Mean Look on both. A new strategy was required. I caught a Jynx (Level 22), raised it to Level 35, bought 50 Ultra Balls & many Max Repels.

I used this Method Video to catch it:

Now with all 3, we can go after Ho-Oh, since it is only unlocked after getting the 3 Beasts.

In the next Log, we will capture Ho-Oh & Lugia! Until the next time, we will be seeing you!

Log #51-Ho-Oh & Lugia
Lugia_and_ho-oh.jpg
Ho-Oh & Lugia
To go after these two Legendaries, I used the following:
Ho-Oh

Lugia

I also used:

Needless to say, I hate struggling through Legendaries. Ho-Oh is found in the Tin Tower, and you need to bring all 3 Legendary Beasts to Ho-Oh. Lugia is in the Whirl Islands, and you need Surf, Flash, Whirlpool, & Waterfall.

We have officially gotten all of the Legendaries of Johto! In the next Log, we will go through Mt. Moon, where we just visited briefly. Until the next time, we will be seeing you!

Log #52-Mt. Moon
600px-0035Clefairy.png
Mt. Moon
Upon moving back onto Route 3 in Kanto, I traveled through Mt. Moon. There isn't much to report here, though if you get deep enough, you can run into a square where Clefairy can dance. It didn't take me too long to explore, which was surprising. I thought it would be more intimidating than it was.

In the next Log, we will be going all the way to Pallet Town. Until the next time, we will be seeing you!

Log #53-Heading Back To Pallet
Pewter City to Viridian City to Pallet Town
Made sure to get Sandslash to Cut my way through the Viridian Forest, arriving at Viridian City. It is hard to believe that Team Rocket used to operate here! A bit saddened, I continued south, battling a few trainers as I went along. Eventually, I arrived at Pallet Town, where I met Professor Oak again and also met this sad woman who was Red's mom. Red was the guy who beat Team Rocket 3 Years ago, so I must work to meet him. I should soon!

We still have a few Badges to get, mainly Blaine & Blue, so it is important to clear them out as well. In the next Log, we will be finding the next Gym, either at Cinnabar or Seafoam Islands. Until the next time, we will be seeing you!

Ironically, Red is the guy who took down Team Rocket in Gen 1. With you playing as a member of said team, this will be an interesting encounter. You are not just a grunt, you are currently the only member (the strongest one, of course) right now.

Ironically, Red is the guy who took down Team Rocket in Gen 1. With you playing as a member of said team, this will be an interesting encounter. You are not just a grunt, you are currently the only member (the strongest one, of course) right now.
Yeah, and with Red out of the way, I may be able to restore Team Rocket. I suspect that, should Red know Team Rocket returned to full strength, he would come back and beat them again, this time being much stronger.

Yeah, and with Red out of the way, I may be able to restore Team Rocket. I suspect that, should Red know Team Rocket returned to full strength, he would come back and beat them again, this time being much stronger.
Speaking of Red, why didn't he do anything about Team Rocket during the Johto Games?

Log #54-Cinnabar or Seafoam?
Cinnabar Island.jpg
Cinnabar Island
Heading south from Pallet Town and surfing around for a while, I found Cinnabar Island. Apparently, a Year ago, the Volcano that is near Cinnabar erupted, destroying the island, with the notable exception of the Pokemon Center. It was near here that I ran into a trainer named Blue, who was there to survey the damage. He also told me that he is the Viridian City Gym Leader, though, despite the fact that I had 14 Gym Badges, he was not impressed with me, challenging me to battle him at the Gym.
Seafoam Islands.png
Seafoam Islands
Continuing my quest for the next Gym, I arrived at the next point of civilization, the Seafoam Islands, or should I say, Island. It seems that one of the two islands of Seafoam were destroyed by the volcanic eruption. Not sure what I would find here, I came inside.
Blaine.jpg
Seafoam Island Gym
The Gym Leader here was Blaine. He used to have his Gym at Cinnabar Island until it erupted, eventually settling on the Seafoam Island. He hopes to bring his beloved Gym back. I took him on! I sent out Feraligatr (Level 59), which took out Magcargo (Level 45), Magmar (Level 45), & Rapidash (Level 50) with one Surf each. With this win, all I had left to do was go to Viridian and finish the Gyms.

My Team:
Umbreon (Level 60)
Magneton (Level 60)
Houndoom (Level 60)
Slowbro (Level 60)
Feraligatr (Level 59)
Crobat (Level 59)

I flew to the Victory Road and trained Feraligatr & Crobat to Level 60, getting my entire Team up to the same point. In the next Log, we will take on Blue at Viridian Gym! Until the next time, we will see you!

Speaking of Red, why didn't he do anything about Team Rocket during the Johto Games?
That was what I wonder as well. Red, Lance, & Ethan would have been a formidable team to take on Team Rocket. Maybe he was in denial that Team Rocket was back. Remember that Red is at Mt. Silver, the most remote place in the Region. It is possible he didn't hear about it, or Team Rocket was too isolated in the Gen II games (since they never got back into Kanto) to warrant him returning.

Log #55-Viridian City
2389351-heartgold_soulsilver_blue.png
Viridian City
Straight from the Victory Road, I flew to Viridian City. walking around a bit to find the Gym. The old man outside told me I would need luck to beat Blue. With my entire Team at Level 60, I felt I was ready to battle him. I walked into an empty Gym, save Blue. He insulted me, and we started.

Round 1: Pidgeot (Blue) vs. Magneton
I tried to have Magneton use Zap Cannon, and when that failed, Pidgeot (Level 56) used Whirlwind to force Slowbro out, but I immediately sent out Magneton again. Pidgeot used Mirror Move, which did nothing. Magneton used Thundershock, which took out Pidgeot.

Round 2: Exeggutor (Blue) vs. Houndoom
Not wanting a repeat of the first round, I just had Houndoom use Flamethrower, which ended that fight against Exeggutor (Level 58).

Round 3: Rhydon (Blue) vs. Slowbro
Slowbro took out Rhydon with Surf, taking Rhydon (Level 56) down.

Round 4: Alakazam (Blue) vs, Umbreon
Umbreon and Alakazam (Level 54) battled back and forth. Alakazam would use Reflect & Recover to stall. Eventually on the 3rd Shadow Ball, Alakazam fainted.

Round 5: Gyarados (Blue) vs. Magneton
Magneton came back out for Gyarados (Level 58). I tried to have Magneton use Zap Cannon, and Gyarados kept using Hydro Pump, which almost took Magneton down. I switched to Thundershock, which took Gyarados out finally.

Round 6: Arcanine (Blue) vs. Feraligatr
Arcanine (Level 58) is the big beast for Blue. Feraligatr came out, and used Hydro Pump, and with no help from Sunny Day (Exeggutor) or Reflect (Alakazam), Arcanine fell, winning me the battle. Blue gave me the badge, admitting defeat from the "Johto Boy".

Victory Road vs. Twerp
I decided to take on Twerp at the Pokemon League Pokemon Center. Sneasel (Level 45) & Magneton (Level 45) were beaten by Houndoom. Crobat (Level 48) was beaten by Magneton. Gengar (Level 46) was beaten by Slowbro. Alakazam (Level 46) was beaten by Umbreon. Meganium (Level 50) was beaten by Crobat. Twerp left, and I flew to Pallet Town, where Professor Oak opened up the Mt. Silver area. I also decided to train a few times on the S. S. Aqua, going from Olivine to Vermillion. My Team ended up at Level 61.

In the Next Log:
We will go to Route 22 & 28, checking them out. Until the next time, we will be seeing you!

Log #56-Routes 22 & 28
246Larvitar_OS_anime_2.png
Routes 22 & 28
Flying back to the Elite Four, I traveled back through the Victory Road, where I once again found the gate, first to Route 22, then to Route 28. While on Route 28, I found the Pokemon Center, checked in there, and healed. We are down to the last part of the game. There is now a basic question. Larvitar can either be caught in Mt. Silver Cave at Level 20 or it can be bought at the Celadon Game Corner for 8,800 Coins. Considering it costs $10,000 for 500 Coins, lets do the math.

Do The Math:
8,800 Coins / 500 Coins = 17.6 Times
$10,000 x 17.6 = $176,000
The purchased Larvitar would be Level 40.

Larvitar (Planned) Move Set:
Sandstorm (Level 8) or Hyper Beam (Level 57)
Rock Slide (Level 22)
Crunch (Level 43)
Earthquake (Level 50)
Like Houndoom, I wouldn't evolve it until the moveset is maxed out. In Larvitar's case, it would be Level 50 or Level 57.

In the next Log, we will take on the "Hero Who Took On Team Rocket", Red. Until the next time, we will be seeing you!

Planning For Red
1675799355406.png

1675799778403.png
Ok, so this post is not battling Red, because we are not ready for that yet. I am using the Elite Four & Champion to train up. I am going to battle them for 20 times, then, wherever I end up, I will balance them all to the same Level before I take on Red. This post is to show what the Team will be against Red. I bought Larvitar, and its moveset that it came with was not what I would want to use or train. The first image is the party I will be going into the battle with Red with, while the second image is going to be the one that Red will be using.

My Plan:
My Plan for this fight is to have Magneton fight Pikachu. Umbreon will be coming out for Espeon. Snorlax is going to be the tough one, as my Team I will run with are not necessarily able to really act on Snorlax. However, I got some experience when I was catching Snorlax with using Slowbro to catch it. Slowbro & Snorlax have similar bulk. Crobat is also going to be there as a speedy player, just in case Slowbro goes down.

Moving to the Starters, Houndoom & Crobat are going to be there to take on Venusaur. If Slowbro survives Snorlax, it will also be set aside for this fight. For Charizard, I have a few options. Feraligatr is my initial plan to take it out, however, if Venusaur is able to set up Sunny Day before it faints, and Slowbro is still active, I may be able to use it. Blastoise is simple, just using Magneton. Crobat is the defender I will use if any of this goes awry and Red looks to be winning.

Attachments

• 1675799731495.png
    1675799731495.png
    165.4 KB · Views: 18
I know it's a bit TOO late to ask this, but: why did you decide to continue using the Starter when we both know that Team Rocket (or any of the evil teams for that matter) don't use any of the Starters?

I know it's a bit TOO late to ask this, but: why did you decide to continue using the Starter when we both know that Team Rocket (or any of the evil teams for that matter) don't use any of the Starters?
Because so often in these games, it may take a bit to get a Pokemon that fits what you need. It's largely a personal preference. Some people abandon the starter, while others keep them. I am firmly in the Keep Camp.

Because so often in these games, it may take a bit to get a Pokemon that fits what you need. It's largely a personal preference. Some people abandon the starter, while others keep them. I am firmly in the Keep Camp.
Makes sense.

A youtuber I watch kept the starter Pikachu on the team when he did a Team Rocket run of Let's Go Pikachu. He could have ditched it when he got Rattata, but didn't.

Please note: The thread is from 1 year ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom