• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Unovia's Pokemon Movie Review Thread

Would You Find A Review of Each Movie Interesting?

• Total voters

Unovia

Author of Pokemon of the Week (Travelin' Dan)
Reaction score
Pronouns
  1. He/Him
Hey Folks!
I am considering writing movie reviews of all of the Pokemon Movies. I know I have:
Movies 1-19 (The "Original Canon" Films)
Mewtwo Returns
Mastermind of Mirage Pokemon

If I have any other movies, I will review them as well. Please watch for my reviews, and make sure to vote on whether you want to see these Reviews. The postings and reviews would be pretty regular.

Thanks,
Unovia

Looking forward to this! Will comment for sure.

Are you doing them in order? Either way the mirage special should be among the first ones, I don't think it's as bad as people say but I see why it can be off-putting.

Looking forward to this! Will comment for sure.

Are you doing them in order? Either way the mirage special should be among the first ones, I don't think it's as bad as people say but I see why it can be off-putting.
I am going to do them in order, though I think my order is going to be:
Kanto & Johto Saga
M1
M2
M3
M4
Legend of Thunder (If I have access to it aka a copy)
Mewtwo Returns

Hoenn Saga
M5
M6
M7
M8
M9
Mastermind

Sinnoh Saga
M10
M11
M12

Unova Saga
M13 <-- (I consider this movie part of Unova)
M14 (Both Films)
M15
M16

Kalos Saga
M17 <-- (I consider this movie part of Kalos, due to Genesect and Mega Evolution)
M18
M19

Any other movie I have. I may have M20, but I have not catalogged my films, since I have had them in my room storage since my house flooded in 2019.

In regards to the statement about Mastermind, I don't think it was really that bad, at least not as bad as people say.

In Addition
Hey Movie Fans!
I also discovered that I have all of Seasons 10, 11, 12, & 13, or the Sinnoh Arc, as well as some of Season 14, which is Pokemon BW. I may do a review of those as well.

I can officially confirm I have all of the first 19 Films, as well as Mastermind. Don't have Legend of Thunder, but that is okay.

Looking forward to doing this. Before I get started with this review process, I will also post my criteria for the reviews, as I am still working on them. Thank you all for your patience as I work through this.

Criteria for Movie Reviews
I finally established my criteria for the Reviews.
-Plot-

Is the plot enjoyable and make sense within the scope of the film?

-Canonicity-

For this, I will be using Poketuber Lumiose Trainer Zac's "Canonicity Standards" to determine whether the film is canon within the anime.

-Length & Pacing of Movie-
Based on the films' length, does it have a solid pacing or does the story jump around a bit? Is the villain believable?

-Legendaries-
Do the Legendaries advance the plot? Do they work within the context of the film? Are there too many Legendaries in the film?

I should be starting them up soon, once I get my system set up.

When Will The Movie Theatre Open?
It has been roughly a month since I last posted in this thread. Not much has happened yet, though I am intending to answer the question of when this thread will begin proper operation. After some discussion, I will set it up properly on August 4th-August 5th, 2022.

I have another Laptop, a much older one, that has a disc drive (the one I am currently typing this on does not), so I have to get it up and running. I will also be using a TV as a monitor to project the films so I can watch them in my room.

The first film that will be watched is M01. I will also be making announcements before the viewing of each film.

So, grab your popcorn, get ready, and I can't wait to begin.

An Update...Finally
Hey Movie Fans!
I know I said last year that I was going to start up the movies last August, but I had been negotiating for an external DVD Player. It had slipped my mind for a long time, but soon, I will have one (thank you Prime Day)!

Movie 1 will come out shortly thereafter, complete with a Review!

Pokemon Movie Review: Pokemon the First Movie
Pokemon Movie Review

Mewtwo Strikes Back (Movie 01)

I thought this would include the prequel “The Untold Story of Mewtwo’s Origin”, but it cut into the movie. This movie was, of course, the one that started them all. I remember going to see this movie in theaters when it first came out. Even today, Mewtwo is intense. With Mewtwo, there is some question whether it is male or female. This one was a male telepathic voice, so the pronoun will be he.

Once they got past Mewtwo’s opening, the movie cut to Ash, Misty, & Brock on an adventure. This movie continued the tradition of introducing a Pokemon of a new Generation, in this case, Donphan, a Generation II Pokemon. It was nice watching a movie with the original trio, as well as the Team Rocket Trio. Mew’s playful nature is also striking, compared to Mewtwo. According to the anime maps, New Island is geographically south of Kanto, in the Orange Islands.

As the trios get to New Island and settle in, it is clear they are in for an event unlike any other. Mewtwo makes his dramatic appearance through a beam of light, while Mew plays with the Rocket trio. Eventually, as the clones and normal monsters fight, Ash ends up turned to stone, his first in movie death. This is arguably the most iconic of the Pokemon movies. It brings to question many topics, things we do not want to debate here, debating ethics. Ash is revived by the tears of both originals and clones, allowing them to recognize they are not too different after all. Mewtwo is left with things to think about and he takes his clones to a new location, a location that will be eventually revealed to be Mt. Quena in Johto, to start a new life as he continues to explore his purpose.

Plot

Is the Plot enjoyable and make sense within the scope of the film? This movie was very enjoyable, and therefore I will give it one star for Plot.

Canonicity

This film is probably the most canon of the films, since it has a few episodes that are mentioned throughout the film. Therefore, I will it one star for Canon.

Length & Pacing

Is there solid pacing based on the length? Does the story jump around a bit? Is the villain believable? It is my view that the pacing is solid, and the story ties together very well. The villain, Mewtwo, is a believable villain, though he is a conflicting one. In the Japanese version, he is focused more on finding his purpose in the world, while in the Western version, he is eviller, fitting more of the cast of a Western villain. I will give this movie a star for Length & Pacing.

Legendaries

There are only two Legendaries in the film, those being Mew & Mewtwo. They work within the context of the film, especially in the context of the conflict. I will give this movie a star for the Legendaries, Mewtwo & Mew.

Total Score (Out of 4): 4 of 4

I was expecting these reviews to be longer, but no problem!

Yeah. Mewtwo is a different character in the dub and in the JP version, but both are intriguing on their own and their conclussions aren't too different.

I was expecting these reviews to be longer, but no problem!

Yeah. Mewtwo is a different character in the dub and in the JP version, but both are intriguing on their own and their conclussions aren't too different.
I was reviewing as I was watching the film, that's why it was short. Still pretty good.
There are many more films to come. :D

Pokemon Movie Review: Pokemon the Movie 2000: The Power of One
Pokemon The Movie 2000: The Power Of One (Movie 02)

The movie began with Slowking speaking the Shamouti Prophecy:

Disturb not the harmony of Fire, Ice, or Lightning

Lest these Titans wreak destruction

Upon the world in which they clash

Though the Water's Great Guardian shall arise to quell the fighting

Alone its song will fail

Thus the earth shall turn to ash

O Chosen One

Into thine hands bring together all three

Their treasures combined tame the Beast of The Sea

From the trio of islands, ancient spheres shall you take

For between life and death, all the difference you'll make

Climb to the shrine to right what is wrong

And the world shall be healed by the Guardian's song...

Meanwhile, Lawrence III, sitting in his flying ship, is working to make the legend come to pass, in his own way, by capturing the Legendary Birds in an attempt to summon the Beast of the Sea, Lugia. By the opening credits, he has already captured Moltres, the titan of fire, and is on the hunt for Zapdos, the titan of Lightning. Under the sea, Lugia appears in shadow.

Ash, Misty, and Tracey are on a boat in an unknown part of the Orange Islands. Suddenly, a storm arrives which draws the heroes to Shamouti Island, where they get drawn into the Legend Festival, an ancient ritual which tells the story, in dramatic form, of the Shamouti Prophecy. Melody, a young girl around Ash’s age, plays the maiden who tells the story and plays the musical instrument. She explains about how Ash is the Chosen One, at least in terms of the play, which Ash is excited about. Lawrence III, meanwhile, continues to hunt for Zapdos, who is making its way to Fire Island.

With Moltres gone, odd weather begins around the globe, prompting Pokemon to move toward the Orange Islands in an effort to do something. Pikachu drags Ash on the journey, helping him acquire the Fire Sphere. Ash’s friends soon arrive, as does Team Rocket and Lawrence III. Lawrence III captures Zapdos, making things worse, also mistakenly collecting Ash and friends as a result. Ash and co. free the two birds, who begin to attack each other, forcing the ship to crash on Lightning Island. Ash then collects the Lightning Sphere. Ash, now having two spheres, heads to Shamouti Island, where the group meet Slowking, who tells him that he really is the Chosen One, but needs to get the Ice Sphere.

As things get worse, Lugia arrives to help quell the fighting, now having drawn in Articuno. Still not having learned his lesson, Lawrence III still attempts to capture Lugia. Melody plays the tune, which brings Lugia back to strength. Professor Oak, Delia, & Professor Ivy, out to do study the weather situation, crash lands on one of the islands. Team Rocket and Lugia attempt to help Ash get the sphere, which they eventually do. Lawrence III makes one final attempt to capture Lugia, which fails, though does damage to Lugia. Lugia destroys Lawrence III’s ship, however. Ash finishes restoring the spheres, Lugia is restored, and the titans go back to their islands. Delia, Oak, & Ivy meet up with Ash, who Delia scolds. Ash resumes his quest to be a Pokemon Master.

Plot

This was a very good plot. Movie 2 is the first of what I would consider bridge films, since it bridges the space between Kanto (the Legendary Birds) and Johto (Lugia). Very enjoyable. One star for Plot.

Canonicity

This movie is considered Canon, since there are episodes in Johto with Lugia in them, which Ash recognizes. One star for Canon.

Length & Pacing

This movie had solid length and pacing. Very well done. The three birds & Lugia’s connection as trio master are not explored, merely hinted at. Lawrence III is almost a commentary on the Pokemon game players & card collectors, as though we are the bad guy in the whole thing, which is an interesting take. Certainly, makes you think. One star for Length & Pacing.

Legendaries

There are 4 Legendaries in this movie, the Legendary Birds & Lugia. Their connection is interesting, but never brought up again in most media. Still, the birds play off of each other well, and Lugia is evenly matched with them in some ways, stronger than them in others. One star for Legendaries.

Total Score (Out of 4): 4 of 4

Pokemon Movie Review: Pokemon 3: Spell of the Unown
Pokemon 3: Spell of the Unown (Movie 03)

In the Johto Region of Greenfield, researcher Spencer Hale reads to his daughter Molly about Legendary Pokemon, specifically Entei. Spencer is called to do research, and, in the Ruins of Alph, he is captured by the Unown. When Molly hears of his disappearance, she uses her wishes to summon her papa, an Entei, as the Unown steadily gain control of Greenfield.

Ash and friends meet another trainer named Lisa, who Ash battles. After he wins, Lisa leads the company to Greenfield, which is now covered in crystal. Delia and Professor Oak hear news reports of a incident in Greenfield, and due to their connection to Spencer Hale, they decide to head to the town. Once Ash meets up with his mother, Entei captures her, following Molly’s wishes to have a mother clearing her memory in the process, with Ash and friends in pursuit. Seeing this, Charizard heads out to help Ash. Team Rocket, in pursuit of Pikachu, get shot down by Entei.

Ash and company work their way to find Delia, as Molly wishes to be a Pokemon trainer. Entei ages her up to do battle, doing so against Brock, then Misty, defeating them both. Facing Entei, Ash does battle while Delia encourages Molly to end this crisis. Ash’s Charizard arrives in time to do battle with Entei, and after seeing them fight, Molly asks Entei to stop. Entei agrees to help stop the Unown, who have now lost control. Entei fights on to save the group, eventually succeeding, allowing for all of the Unown to go back to their dimension, freeing Spencer Hale and the rest of the town. Ash and Lisa part as Molly’s father and mother return. Molly and a real Teddiursa play as the movie ends.

Plot

The Plot was good. It was certainly an enjoyable film. One star for Plot.

Canonicity

This Movie is Canon. One star for Canon.

Length & Pacing

The movie seemed a bit fast, and accelerated a bit quickly. Still, the length was good, and was an enjoyable ride. One star for Length & Pacing.

Legendaries

The Legendaries were a bit challenged here. Firstly, the movie tries to indicate that the Unown are legendary, which they are not at all. Second, the real Legendary of the film, Entei, was a complete illusion dreamed up by Molly, though at times, it acted like a real Pokemon would. It felt like Unown were the stars and Entei was just dropped in. Weakest part of the film. Half a Star for Legendaries.

Total Score (Out of 4): 3.5 of 4

Film Update
Hey Folks!
So, as we head into Movie #4, I found that one of the discs I have has Movie #4 (Voice of the Forest), Movie #5 (Latios & Latias), Movie #6 (Jirachi Wishmaker), & Movie #7 (Destiny Deoxys), all on one Disc. It's a Pokemon Movie Collection. My intention is to watch all 4, write my reviews, then post all 4 at once.

Please be patient. This will be worth it!

Please note: The thread is from 8 months ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom