• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Unovia's Silver Playthrough

Unovia

Author of Pokemon of the Week (Travelin' Dan)
Reaction score
Pronouns
  1. He/Him
Hey Folks!
Before I begin this playthrough, I would like to thank all of my fans for their views and appreciation. I am so glad to be back! I officially came back a couple days ago, but I was traveling home from my vacation, so I couldn't post anything.

I am going to take the time to post some of my previous work in case you want to check it out!

This was a really great series. Because I ended up stopping, I have stopped this series, at least for now.
The Run that got me started! 5,000 Views! Complete.
6,000 Views! Complete.
7,000 Views! Complete.
7,000 Views! Complete.
5,000 Views! Complete.
4,000 Views! Complete.
3,000 Views! Complete. My last Complete Run.

Well, here we go with this run. I had previously tried to do a Silver run as an Oak Challenge, but it ended up being super challenging, and due to my 4 Month break, it was hard to start up again, so I decided to restart Silver as a regular Playthrough.

Here are my Rules for this challenge.
1. I am going to be building a Final Team that is going to be based on Jimmy from the Anime (Typhlosion & Beedrill), Jimmy from Zoroark, Master of Illusions (Donphan), and from Youtube Channel Pedro Araujo, with some modifications.

I am ready to get started! Are you ready to watch? Let's go!

Logs #1-#4: New Bark Town to Violet City Gym
This Log encompasses the first four Logs I wrote on the road.

Log # 1
250px-155Cyndaquil.png

Welcome to Johto! As the game began, I named myself Ethan and picked my Starter, Cyndaquil, which turned out to be female. Professor Elm asked me to go to Mr. Pokemon and see what his findings were. When I left the Lab, I saw a red haired boy staring in the window. When I tried to talk to him, he pushed me away rather rudely. Afterwards, I talked to my mom, who decided to save me money, and I left to begin my errand. I collected a few berries and a potion or two on my way, eventually arriving at Mr. Pokemon, who was meeting with Professor Oak. Oak gave me a Pokedex, and I also got a mysterious egg. As the quest nearly completed, I ran into the same boy who was earlier looking in the lab, in Cherrygrove City. The guy challenged me to battle. The battle took me a few soft restarts, since the guy, who I named Silver, had his Totodile use Leer, which dropped my stats significantly. After 3 tries, I decided to train my Cyndaquil to Level 6, which gave me Smokescreen. With this success, I beat him, and he ran off. Arriving back at the Lab, I checked in with Elm, who tookm the egg for study, and I got a few Poke balls. With these, I caught a Sentret, Weedle, and later in the day, a Hoothoot. With these captures, I decided to train up to Level 7 before continuing. In the next Log, I will be heading through to my next goal, Violet City. Until the next time, we will see you!

Log #2
600px-015Beedrill.png

I got my Weedle up to Kakuna as I began my journey up Route 30. My first few battles were on the two routes between Cherrygrove & Violet. With most of my team at Level 8, I crossed into Violet City, the first major city. Like any good city, there are things for tourists & other people. On the tourism side of life, there is Sprout Tower, while on the Trainer side, there is a Pokemon Gym. I am curious about the type that this Gym is. Before I go take it on, however, I am going to get my team trained to Level 10, then be a tourist for a bit, check out the city. My last responsibility is to go after the Gym. Hopefully I can win my first Badge! In the next Log, we will take on Sprout Tower. Until next time, we will se you!

Log #3
Sprout Tower.jpg

I started this Log by working to finalize the Levels. On Route 31, I surprisingly ran into a Bellsprout, which I captured. But where to train it? On this quest, we backtracked to Route 46, where I ran into Geodude, which I used to train Bellsprout to the rest of my team. Kakuna also got to Beedrill. With my team ready to go, I decided to take on Sprout Tower. This location is, honestly, better at night, due to the presence of Gastly. However, I figured that I would clear out the trainers, or in this case, monks, first. I quickly cleared my way to the top, eventually running into Silver, who had beaten the Elder, but had apparently been cruel to his Pokemon. Silver taunted me, then left. I picked up the escape rope in the corner, then took the Elder on, easily defeating him and getting Flash. I used my escape rope to leave, then came back later that day, catching a Gastly. In the next Log, we will be setting up to battle the first Gym Until next time, we will see you!

Log #4
The next morning, I placed in the box all of my captures except Cyndaquil and Beedrill, my major team members at this point. I finished training in Sprout Tower, healed up, then took the Gym on. The Gym type is Flying. There was no Puzzle, just a snaking path to the Gym Leader. I trained my team using the two trainers, went back to the Pokemon Center to heal, then took on the Gym Leader, Falkner, who had 2 Pokemon, same as me.

Falkner.jpg

He opened with Pidgey, while I sent out Beedrill. Now, you might wonder why I sent out Beedrill, a Bug and Poison type, against a Flying type? It was to measure out to see Falkner's strength and to save Cyndaquil for the next Pokemon. Beedrill used Fury Attack to quickly end Pidgey. Next came his ace, Pidgeotto. I switched to Cyndaquil. We exchanged Ember & Gust attacks, and Cyndaquil came out on top. I won the first badge!

Afterwards, I got a call from Professor Elm, who contacted me about the Egg. He wanted me to meet up with his aide to take care of the egg. In the next Log, we will collect it then work to move on to the next destination. Until next time, we will see you!

Note: The next Log will start at Log #5.

Log #5-Completing Research for Elm
After I beat Falkner, I got the phone call from Elm. He talked about his aide wanting to give me the egg. The egg was apparently close to hatching. I traveled south on Route 32 a bit, catching a Mareep and a Wooper. Shortly after, the egg hatched into a Togepi.

175Togepi_SM_anime.png

In Gen IV, having Togekiss is an amazing team member. However, in Gen II, Togetic is almost a waste of a team member. As soon as Togepi hatched, I called Elm to let him know that it hatched, and he asked me to go back to him and show it off. With my next quest defined, I started on my journey back. While I was heading back, I decided to train my Wooper and Mareep. Wooper was Level 4 when I caught it, so I headed back to Route 46 to train against the Geodudes. I eventually got Wooper to Level 9. Then I focused on training Mareep to Level 9 around Cherrygrove City, where Mareep got Thundershock.

With my Pokemon ready, I finally came back to New Bark Town and showed Togepi to Elm, who was ecstatic and gave me an Everstone. I don't plan on training Togepi, so when I got back to Cherrygrove City, I put Togepi in the box, bringing out my Bellsprout in its place. Going north from Cherrygrove, I found my way back to Violet City, then traveled through Route 32, battling some trainers and collecting items. I healed up my team in the Pokemon Center near Union Cave.

I have two options. First, I could go over the bridge and complete the Route, or second, I could go into Union Cave. In the next Log, I will complete Route 32 and go through Union Cave. Until the next time, we will see you!

Log #6-Route 32 & Union Cave
Before I went into Union Cave, I decided to finish my exploration of Route 32. I defeated the fishermen on the plank bridge, then made sure to clear the rest of the route. I then traveled back toward Union Cave, making sure to heal before going inside. Once I got to Union Cave, I found and captured a Zubat. The Zubat is going to eventually be a Crobat as part of my team. I completed my trek through the Cave, arriving on the other side. There were a lot of hikers in the cave, and even one on the outside. SO MANY HIKERS!

Upon arriving in Azalea Town, I saw a guy in a dark suit blocking access to a well and to the Pokemon Gym as well. It looks like I won't be battling there for a while. Don't know why the Gym Leader has not chased these guys out of the town yet...

Before I really get settled in here, though, I decided to go back and train my Zubat, healing up in the Pokemon Center, then depositing a few Pokemon in the PC. Zubat will eventually replace Hoothoot. It will take a little bit, but I think I will head into battle once Zubat gets to Level 12 (It's Level 9 right now).

In the next Log, we will fully check out Azalea Town and hopefully get to free that Well. Until next time, we will see you!

Log #7-Slowpoke Well
I got my Zubat to Level 12, then decided to go back to Azalea Town to heal up. Once I healed, I decided to trigger the events of Slowpoke Well. First, I got Kurt to rush the Team Rocket grunt. Then I came down with him, checking his injuries. Leaving him behind, I used the Rocket grunts as solid training.

319px-HeartGold_SoulSilver_Proton.png

In Gen II, there are no named Admins. In Gen IV, the Admin in the Slowpoke Well was Proton. With me being Level 12 & 13, I was a bit weaker than I would have been in Gen IV. The Admin. wasn't that strong, only being Level 14, but they did stall out things for a little bit. After I cleared out the Rockets out, Kurt healed me up and offtered to make some Poke Balls out of the Apricorns. In Gen II, the Pokeball production is a lot slower (one ball per day).

079Slowpoke_OS_anime_2.png

I decided to train up a bit, since my next two fights are coming up. There is Silver and the battle against Bugsy. Considering the challenge I had against the Rockets, I want to get my team up to Level 16 before the next battles. While I was in Slowpoke Well, I figured I might as well catch one. Took me a bit but I did. In the next Log, we will battle Silver and Bugsy. Until next time, we will see you!

Log #8-Azalea Gym
At Level 14, I decided to take on Silver first, since in this game, his strongest Pokemon is Level 16, comparable to Bugsy. He sent out Gastly (Level 12) and I sent out Quilava, who evolved after I did some training in Slowpoke Well. Two Ember attacks took out Gastly, and, as he prepared to switch to Croconaw, I switched to Mareep. Two Thundershocks later and the croc was down. Mareep grew to Level 15, ready to evolve. Finally, Silver sent out Zubat (Level 14). Quilava defeated Zubat, winning me the battle. Mareep evolved to Flaaffy as Silver ran off.

Bugsy.png

Walking into Azalea Gym, it was not too difficult to beat the trainers. Unlike in Gen IV, where there was an actual puzzle, in Gen II, the only challenge is to find an easy way to the middle of the room, where Bugsy waits. Eventually I got to Bugsy, and we began the battle. Zubat took down Metapod (Level 14) using Bite. Once Scyther (Level 16) showed up, I tried to use Zubat, but one Fury Cutter almost took Zubat down, so I changed to Quilava, which took down Scyther in two hits. I won the second badge.

In the next Log, we will go explore Ilex Forest and the nearby route. Until then, we will see you.

Yeah. The odd thing about Johto is Falkner and Bugsy are relatively easy. Suddenly, Whitney cranks the difficulty up significantly.
To be fair, Miltank has a base stat total of 490, which is higher than most (if not) all of the Pokémon you can get at that point in the game.

Last edited:
Log #9-Ilex Forest & Route 34
I explored Ilex Forest at night, which kinda made it spooky. Still, I did not intend to catch anything in the forest, though I did see the Headbutt tutor, which I intended to give to my Slowpoke (I didn't have it on me at the time), so I plan to go back for it soon. After I got through the forest, I faced trainers on Route 34. I found myself quite a bit challenged by the trainers here, especially the police officer (who you can only battle at night), since he had a Growlithe (Level 17). I ended up fighting him with Beedrill at Level 16. Somehow I edged it out. Am a bit disappointed with the slowness of Wooper, who should have done more.

I beat Camper Todd with barely any team members left, crossing into Goldenrod. Healing quickly, I decided to go get the trade Machop, because without it I have no plan against Whitney. How would I get it? I had to catch a Drowzee.

451px-096Drowzee_AG_anime.png

Luckily Drowzee was not too hard to find, and I had a Great Ball, my last ball I had in my pack. It was an easy capture, and I quickly ran to the Department Store to do the trade, getting a Level 10 Machop in return. All I have to do now is to train the Machop to Level 16 and then my whole team to Level 23. Shouldn't take me too long. In the next Log, we will discuss going through the National Park to train against Whitney, and probably battle Whitney as well.

The demonic cow awaits.
581px-241Miltank_OS_anime.png

Until the next time, we will see you!

Log #10-National Park & Goldenrod Gym
Because the Pokemon on Route 34 (especially the area just south of Goldenrod) are anywhere from Levels 10-13, this was a great spot to train up, so I took my time and did so, getting up to Level 18 before deciding to go to the National Park. Zubat did well during training, since most of the encounters were Drowzee (My Zubat has Bite). With training there done, I headed to the National Park, battling all of the nearby trainers, both inside the park as well as outside the park in both directions. It was pretty solid training, but I decided to round out my training by going back to the grass on Route 34. Wooper evolved to Quagsire in this process. I also collected my Bike at this time.

Whitney.jpg

Once I got to Level 20, my thoughts turned to the next Gym fight, and I decided to try out the Gym and if I didn't do well against the trainers, I would retreat and try again. Surprisingly, I did very well, given the Clefairy maze, with the trainers, eventually getting Quilava to Level 21. It made me think about Flame Wheel, specifically when Quilava learns it (Just looked it up, Level 31...OMG!!!), since the speed boost would really help. At Level 20, Beedrill learned Twineedle, which is a multiple strike move that can poison the target Pokemon (this knowledge comes in handy potentially later).

I bested the trainers, but could I beat Whitney? Only one way to find out, and that's to battle her! Opening with Beedrill (Level 20, almost 21) against her Clefairy (Level 18), I focused on using Twineedle, hoping for a Poison, which didn't happen. Clefairy Metronomed Guillotine, which did nothing to me thankfully. Two uses of Twineedle ended Clefairy, but as Miltank came out, I asked myself if Beedrill should stay in. Miltank has the moves Stomp, Attract, Milk Drink, and Rollout, a truly devastating move, and the one I feared the most, since it is a Rock Type move. I had two options.

Option 1: Keep a fully healthy Beedrill in, keep using Twineedle, hope for a Poisoning, and risk a Rollout, which would destroy Beedrill.
Option 2: Switch to Machop and let it complete the battle.

Going to Option 2, I switched out to Machop, not wanting to risk it. Machop had recently learned Seismic Toss, so I thought it would be effective against Miltank, due to Miltank's weight. Unfortunately, it didn't do too much damage, and Miltank began to Rollout, which has a cumulative effect. Knowing I had limited time, I switched strategies, using Low Kick. That easily took out Miltank before the stall outs could begin, winning me the badge.

Now with 3 Badges in the case, it begs the question of what to do now. I know there is that strange tree (Sudowoodo), but I don't have the squirtbottle yet or any Great Balls (I want to catch Sudowoodo for my full Team which will eventually be replaced with Donphan), and there are a few things to do in the next city (Ecruteak), so in the next Log, we will catch Sudowoodo. Until next time, we will see you!

Welp... That was easy. Nice work with her.
Also: Why/how did Whitney get the Gym Leader position if she can't handle losing a battle, when that is literally the job of a Gym Leader? You would think the Gym Leaders would be able to handle losing. The opposite with Claire: Why didn't anyone take the title from her, since she was apparently curb stomping every opponent?

Welp... That was easy. Nice work with her.
Also: Why/how did Whitney get the Gym Leader position if she can't handle losing a battle, when that is literally the job of a Gym Leader? You would think the Gym Leaders would be able to handle losing. The opposite with Claire: Why didn't anyone take the title from her, since she was apparently curb stomping every opponent?
Thanks.
Many of these Gym Leaders stay Gym Leaders because the trainers in the surrounding areas have never actually tried to take them down. Them controlling things is just considered normal. Most of the NPCs don't have the levels to even compete. I think the overall commission that handles Gym Certification kinda takes a "hands off" approach to the Gyms unless they get too many complaints from the locals, in which case, they go to investigate.

Little question: What's Zubat's current lvl?
My Zubat is struggling to follow the rest of the team. I don't why.
My Zubat is Level 20. Are you playing along? If so, might I suggest that we have a discussion through the Conversations, and I can give you some tips.

Thanks.
Many of these Gym Leaders stay Gym Leaders because the trainers in the surrounding areas have never actually tried to take them down. Them controlling things is just considered normal. Most of the NPCs don't have the levels to even compete. I think the overall commission that handles Gym Certification kinda takes a "hands off" approach to the Gyms unless they get too many complaints from the locals, in which case, they go to investigate.
That does make sense. Especially when some have stated that they only recently got the job.

Little question: What's Zubat's current lvl?
My Zubat is struggling to follow the rest of the team. I don't why.
Without TMs, Zubat's moveset is:
Leech Life
Supersonic
Bite
Confuse Ray

Level 27 is when it learns Wing Attack.
Also doesn't really help that Zubat is pretty weak until it evolves.

Please note: The thread is from 2 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom