• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Unovia's Silver Playthrough

Log #48-Brock (Gym #14)
  • Looking around Pewter City, it was a bit disappointing. The Pewter Museum wasn't really accessible, and there wasn't anything I could really do here. I traveled to Pewter Gym. I know this Gym was predicted to be tough. If my team was at the same Level (Level 55), I would use Pokemon like Donphan, Ampharos, & Gyarados. However, because I was focused on not over leveling the obvious battlers here, I ended up using a unique duo, Gyarados & Crobat. I know, shocking, but stick with me. Let's go!

DP-Brock.png

I beat the trainer buddy with Gyarados, preparing to take Brock on. I opened with Gyarados against Graveler (Level 41). One Surf, and an OHKO. Next came Omastar (Level 42), one of the two Pokemon you have to watch for in this fight. Surprisingly, I sent out Crobat. Crobat essentially stalled out Omastar, but Omastar used Surf and Spike Cannon against Crobat using Wing Attack and Bite. Crobat came out on top, and got to Level 55. I had to hurry and get Crobat out, switching back to Gyarados. Onix (Level 44) was OHKOed by Surf. Next came Kabutops (Level 42), who is Super Dangerous to any Water Type that you might use against Brock, since it can use Giga Drain, Fantastic coverage! My Gyarados came out to battle Kabutops, since I pretty much stall it out. I just simply used Hyper Beam, which has become my utility attack when I get stuck. Kabutops was beaten in an OHKO. I finished his Rhyhorn (Level 41) in a single Surf. I now have my 14th Badge!

My Team after this was:
    Typhlosion (Level 55)
    Beedrill (Level 55)
    Donphan (Level 55)
    Ampharos (Level 55)
    Gyarados (Level 55)
    Crobat (Level 55)

What to do now? I initially planned to go after Ho-Oh due to getting the Rainbow Wing within Pewter City. The problem is that Ho-Oh is Level 70! I thought about maybe training on the Elite Four until my team was ready to hunt Ho-Oh, but I actually want to have my Team naturally level up (as much as possible) at least until I beat the Gyms and have to get ready for Red. We will be continuing the story for a while yet. In the next Log, we will be going through Mt. Moon. Until the next time, we will see you!

Log #49-Mt. Moon
  • Going east from Pewter City, I used Typhlosion to clear out the trainers (there are 4), which brought Typhlosion to Level 56. I didn't know whether Mt. Moon would be pitch black, but I decided to risk it. Thank goodness I didn't have to bring Electrode to light the cave, because I was battling Silver as soon as I came into the cave! I opened with Typhlosion against his Sneasel (Level 41), who fell to Fire Punch. This battle triggered elevation to Level 56. I changed my Pokemon to Beedrill as Silver changed to Feraligatr (Level 45). The battle went back and forth, with Beedrill coming out on top. His Golbat (Level 42) eventually took down Beedrill, and I sent out Donphan. One Rollout took Golbat down. Alakazam (Level 43), Magneton (Level 41), and Gengar (Level 43) all went down to Rollout. Having beaten Silver, I passed through Mt. Moon and Route 4, ending in Cerulean. In the next Log, we will set up to go back to Pewter City to travel to Viridian & Pallet Town. Until the next time, we will see you!

Log #50-Viridian City & Pallet Town
  • From Pewter City, I traveled south, through what constitutes Viridian Forest. There is not much of a forest, especially considering what it was in Generation I.

Viridian Forest.jpg

Once I crossed through this sad forest, I arrived in Viridian City. There is a Gym here, but I can't go to it right now. Team Rocket doesn't run it anymore. Giovanni broke Team Rocket and gave up the Gym, so the question is who the Gym Leader is now. I continued south, not stopping until I hit Pallet Town. Here, I met up with Professor Oak, who promised to give me something special once I get the last Kanto badges. I also met the mother of a Legend, Red. She was upset that she has not seen her son in 3 Years.

In the next Log, we will go even further south, going on Route 21, stopping at Cinnabar Island. Until the next time, we will see you.

Log #51-Route 21 & Cinnabar Island
  • 200px-Kanto_Route_21_HGSS.png
    Continuing south, I surfed through Route 21, which features quite a few spots of land in a sea of blue. This is a long path that makes you realize how much water is in southern Kanto! I eventually arrived at Cinnabar Island. It was a lot harder to get here in Generation 1!
    Cinnabar Island.jpg
    Arriving on Cinnabar Island, I was shocked at the barrenness of the location. Back in the time of Generation 1, Cinnabar Island was a lively location. Though my investigation of what happened here, it turned out that a volcano erupted, destroying most of the civilization on the island. I also ran into a guy named Blue, who was champion of Kanto for a short time, "until Red came up and beat him." He departed quickly, but encouraged me to battle him at the Viridian Gym. So he is the Gym Leader! What an interesting revelation! In the next Log, we will go to the Seafoam Islands and see what is there. There is no Gym at Cinnabar anymore, so maybe it is at Seafoam. Until the next time, we will see you!

Log #52-Route 20 & Seafoam Islands
  • Seafoam Islands.png
    From Cinnabar Island, I continued east, arriving at the Seafoam Islands, or rather, Island. Apparently, the volcano that took out Cinnabar Island also destroyed one of the islands of Seafoam, mainly the exploratory one. Taking a peek inside, we ran into a Gym Leader, Blaine! What is he doing here? Did he move because his Gym got destroyed? Regardless of why he is here, it is Gym Battle time! In the next Log, we will take on Blaine! Until the next time, we will see you.

Log #53-Blaine (Gym #15)
  • Blaine.jpg

Blaine's Gym has nothing except Blaine. In Generation IV, there is a whole Gym set up in the location. On top of that, in Generation IV, you can also find Artcuno in this area. I set my team to battle Blaine, who only had 3 Pokemon, much like Sabrina. He opened with Magcargo (Level 45) and I opened with Ampharos. I didn't know if Magcargo would be able to be hit by electric moves. One Thunder Punch was an OHKO. Next came Magmar (Level 45), and Ampharos did one Thunder Punch, which almost took it down, though it held on long enough to set up a Sunny Day before it fainted. Thismeant that his next Pokemon would have increased power to the Fire Type moves. His last Pokemon was Rapidash (Level 50), which now had an increase in Fire Type strength due to Sunny Day. Rapidash used Fire Blast, which did a lot of damage to Ampharos. Ampharos used a Thunder Punch, which dropped Rapidash a bit. Rapidash used Fury Attack, and Ampharos finished it off with another Thunder Punch, winning me my 15th Gym Badge.

After this battle, my Team was:
    Typhlosion (Level 56)
    Beedrill (Level 56)
    Donphan (Level 56)
    Ampharos (Level 55)
    Gyarados (Level 55)
    Crobat (Level 55)

In the next Log, we will tie up some loose ends, then go to Viridian City for our final Gym Battle! Until the next time, we will see you.

Log #54-On the Road To Viridian
  • When I was looking at the map, I realized that, in all of the travels I had done, I had yet to head south from Fuchsia City onto Route 19. So, with Ampharos and Crobat in the lead on the team, I flew to Fuchsia, where, after getting turned around (the southern road isn't easy to find), I eventually found my way onto Route 19. This sea route allowed me to get my Ampharos and Crobat to Level 56, leaving Gyarados as my only remaining Level 55. I wanted to get my team all on the same page for my fight against Blue. With that spirit in mind, I flew to the doors of the Elite Four, then headed back into the Victory Road, since it is full of Rock Types that Gyarados can easily train on. I did just that, catching the giant sea beast up to the rest of my Team quickly. Once I was done there, I flew to Viridian and healed. It's time to finish this last Gym! In the next Log, we will take on Blue for our final Badge. Until the next time, we will see you.

Oh, and for those who like a dose of nostalgia, I am going to leave this here:

Log #55-Blue (Gym #16)
  • 2389351-heartgold_soulsilver_blue.png
    Going to the Viridian Gym, I was surprised to find only Blue in the Gym. It was only going to be me vs. him. Here we go!

Gym Battle

He opened with Pidgeot (Level 56), and I opened with Donphan. Donphan started with Rollout, and Pidgeot was taken out after a few rounds. He changed to Gyarados (Level 58), and I changed to Ampharos. I Thunder Punched, and Gyarados managed to survive enough to set up a Rain Dance before it fell. He then sent out Rhydon (Level 56), and I changed to my own Gyarados, which used Surf to OHKO Rhydon. It was helpful considering the Surf was boosted by the continuing Rain Dance. Next for Blue was Alakazam (Level 54), and I changed to Beedrill, thinking I would be able to out speed, which I was, but Alakazam survived enough to set up a Reflect before it fell. Rain Dance still continued. My situation was strong. None of my team had been beaten, and he was down 4 of his team. That was to change with his Arcanine (Level 58). This thing was an absolute monster, and I wasn't sure I would win because of this stupid thing! It defeated my Typhlosion, Ampharos, Donphan, & Beedrill before it finally fell to my Gyarados. This thing was a very difficult fight. With Arcanine finally silenced, he brought out Exeggutor (Level 58), which I changed to Crobat for. Two Wing Attacks and Exeggutor fell, ending Blue and winning me my last Gym Badge. I almost completely lost that fight. That Arcanine was terrifying!

My Team After This Fight:
    Typhlosion (Level 56)
    Beedrill (Level 56)
    Donphan (Level 56)
    Ampharos (Level 56)
    Gyarados (Level 56)
    Crobat (Level 56)

What to do now? There are only 3 Logs left until this Playthrough is complete:
    Ho-Oh (Log #56)
    Routes 22 & 28 (Log #57)
    Red (Log #58)

Consider that Ho-Oh is Level 70, meaning that I can't at this point reliably lower the health and survive the hits. Red is at the absurd level of Level 81! I am nowhere near that, so the question becomes how to I level up? In Generation IV, you could rematch the Gym Leaders, but in Generation II, you can't, which leaves the Elite Four as my only plausible option to get up high enough. This means that, you, as the reader, will have to wait for a little bit while I do repeated Elite Four fights.

In the next Log, we will capture Ho-Oh. Until the next time, we will see you!

Log #56-Ho-Oh
  • I used this video to get through, because this is a very challenging.

Before I went in, I got many Ultra Balls and many Max Repels. Ho-Oh is a very tough catch. It took my entire capture set to get it, and multiple attempts. Now, with Ho-Oh in the box, there is nothing remaining to capture (that I am worried about at least). I have not yet done the Elite Four Training, and I think I will do 32 attempts. In Generation IV, I do 16 times because I also have the Gym Leader Rematches that help to boost me, but since I don't have that, I will do more than I would typically do.

In the next Log, we will be going through Routes 22 & 28, including our way to Mt. Silver. Until the next time, we will see you!

Log #57-Update on Red #1
  • I know the next Log was going to be on Routes 22 & 28 on the way to Mt. Silver, but I have been spending the last few days getting my team settled. I got my Team to Levels 57-63 after my first set of Elite Four fights. Looking for ways to train, I went onto Routes 22 & the grass of Route 28 to even out my Team to Level 63. My intention is to Level them all to Level 63 (I am very close), then do another Elite Four Training session. On Route 28, the wild Pokemon are in the 40's, helping to do much of the necessary boosting.

Once I am done with the next set of trainings, I will post another update on my progress. Until the next Update, we will see you!

Log #58-Update on Red #2
  • Time for another update! I got my team to Level 63, it was time for another set of Elite Four fights. These allowed me to get them to between Levels 64-70. I traveled through the Route 28 & Mt. Silver area until I got to their Pokemon Center (forgot they had it in Gen II, thought it was only a Gen IV thing) when I was training the last set, which allows me to Fly directly to the Center to do proper training. I am going to get the rest of my team to Level 70 before I go through the next set of the Elite Four. We will post another update once everyone is at Level 70. At this rate, I anticipate I will be ready for Red at close to Level 86, but we will see what the final number is. Until the next Update, we will see you!

Log #59-Red...FINALLY!
  • This is going to be a SHOCKING UPDATE! This is my Team:
    Donphan (Level 70)
    Ampharos (Level 70)
    Typhlosion (Level 70)
    Beedrill (Level 70)
    Gyarados (Level 70)
    Crobat (Level 70)

As you all know, I was thinking about getting my Team up even higher than Level 70. Once I got there, however, I thought about at least trying Red and seeing how difficult he would be. Knowing that Mt. Silver was going to be a dark pit, I decided to give Ampharos Flash. I also used this step by step guide to get through Mt. Silver.

Red's Team is between Level 73 and 81. No matter my level, I was going to have a tough experience. Let's Go!

Red.jpg

He opened with Pikachu (Level 81), and I opened with Donphan. One Earthquake took Pikachu down. Next was his Venusaur (Level 77), and I sent out Crobat. Crobat used several Wing Attacks and Venusaur set up Sunny Day, even though it was defeated. He sent out Espeon (Level 73), and I sent out Beedrill. Espeon set up Reflect in an attempt to stop Twinnedle, and then hit with Psychic, taking out Beedrill. I switched to Typhlosion, who was able to take out Espeon with Fire Punch. He sent out Blastoise (Level 77) and I switched to Ampharos. Because of Reflect, the Thunder Punch was not as effective. Blastoise was able to set up Rain Dance, then used Surf, which did a lot of damage to Ampharos. Ampharos did edge out Blastoise. Next came his Snorlax (Level 75), and I brought out Donphan. I kept using repeated Earthquakes and Snorlax stalled out using Rest and Snore. Snorlax fell after 2 Earthquakes. Last for Red was Charizard (Level 77), and I brought out Gyarados. Charizard was able to use Wing Attack, but Gyarados used Surf, taking out Charizard, ending the battle with Red. I have just finished this Silver Playthrough! WOOHOO!

What is next? Where are we going? Our next Playthrough is a return to Unova. Thank you so much for your support, and come join us in Unova!

Back
    Top Bottom