• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Unovia's Ultra Moon "Regional Variant" Run

What Starter Should I Pick For My Ultra Moon Run?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Log #33-Vast Poni Canyon
Vast Poni Canyon certainly lives up to it's name. It is vast and it is LONG! I managed to beat all of the trainers very easily. I do have to say that the Veterans close to the trial site are tricky, but what is to be expected? They are veterans, after all. I even battled the Team Skull Grunt. It's funny that they are so out of place. I thought they would have escaped with the rest of the group, but whatever. I know the trial is very tricky, and I even tried it once, and the other dragons are very easy to crush, but I know I am not ready for the Totem yet. I decided to read online about strategies, and I came into four.

1. Ice attacks (Sandslash)
2. Psychic attacks (Exeggutor)
3. Poison stall (Muk)
4. Get my team to level 63

I have tried strategies 1 and 2, so I am hoping strategy 3 will work. If not, I will go train to Lv. 63, which will put me at a 14 level difference. I will see what works. See you soon!

Log #34-Dragon Trial, Summoning & Beating A Monster, & Minas' Trial Begins
With a plan, I went into the battle for the Dragon Trial. Clearing out the other dragons with Sandslash, I switched to Muk for the Kommo-o fight. Poison Gassing both it and it's ally, it was a matter of Chip Damage. Muk did well until it fainted, then I shopped around my team until bringing out Raichu. Raichu, combined with poison chip damage, won the day. Continuing through to the Altar of the Moone, suddenly the gateway at the altar opened, and Nebby evolved into Lunala, Guzma and Lusamine dropped out, and Necrozma came out like a victorious champion, loving the chaos.

Lunala and Necrozma fight, with Necrozma pinning down Lunala, combining with it to form Dawn Wings Necrozma. It was my turn to save the world. Muk came out and Poison Gassed Necrozma. Muk used Acid Downpour, then Crunch to beat the combo. I was then encouraged to do my least favorite part of the game, the Ultra Warp Ride, heading to Ultra Megalopolis, where Ultra Necrozma awaited. Climbing up the stairs to the final showdown with Necrozma, I was a bit nervous. Opening with Muk against Ultra Necrozma and hitting with Darkinium Z, I beat Necrozma down. Muk is eventually defeated, and I switch out to Dugtrio, and after a few hits (including two where Dugtrio survived to make me proud), Dugtrio fell. Uncertain what to do now, I sent out Sandslash, who finished Necrozma. I snatched Popole as a reward, then left.

Upon leaving, Mina met up with me, inviting me to come back with her, which I did. She then asked me to battle her. I opened with Marowak to take out Mawile, then switched to Dugtrio for Granbull, and Muk for Ribombee. She gave me the Pink Petal for winning the battle, then challenged me to go around Alola to beat the other Trial Captains. I figure that while I am going around, I will get the other Totem Stickers, finishing two quests at the same time.

Here are the Captains I will go after:
Illima
Lana
Kiawe
Mallow
Sophocles
Nanu

The next Log will be beating the other Captains and getting the final Totem Stickers. I am up to 76, so I only have 24 more. It will also include the conclusion of Mina's Trial. See you then!

Poni is a good place to train if you have enough patience to hear Pelipper's cry a lot lol.

Congratulations Muk, It sounds like it did most of the job on the Blinding One.

Poni is a good place to train if you have enough patience to hear Pelipper's cry a lot lol.

Congratulations Muk, It sounds like it did most of the job on the Blinding One.
Pelipper is annoying as heck! Muk is a freaking beast! I was a bit nervous against the Blinding One, but the Poison/Dark typing has to be one of the best types out there. I would not use a regular Muk, but Alolan Muk is a special tank.
Thanks for the support.

Log #35-Down Memory Lane
With Mina's Trial started, I flew to Melemele Island. Collecting the last Totem Sticker or two, I ran into Illima. Illima was not too much of a challenge. One Orange Petal later, I went with him to Lush Jungle, where I faced down Lana, who was a challenge, mainly because I thought I would be able to pretty much roll over her. It started out harmless enough, with wins against Lanturn and Cloyster. Then came the dreaded Araquanid, who proceeded to have a field day with my team until Raichu shreded it. I made sure to Z-Move to make sure it was beaten. One Green Petal and Blue Petal later, I went with them to Wela Volcano. Kiawe was tougher than expected, mainly because of the bulky Arcanine and the fast Talonflame. I was also surprised to have to face the Hiker. I got the Red Petal. Kiawe took me to Sophocles, who just gave me his petal and took me to Aether House. There I faced Nanu, who was much tougher than he was during the Grand Trial. I beat him, and he told me to go back to Mina. All petals in hand, I went to see her. She made the Rainbow Flower.
Mina Flower.jpg

Upon reaching Mina, I took on her Totem Ribombee. One Poison Z-Move later and it went down. Upon leaving her house, Hapu and Hala met with me, asking me to go to Exeggutor Island for the Grand Trial. Before I do that, I will finish my Totem Sticker Hunt. I have some hunting yet to do, but it shouldn't take me too long. On the next Log, I will face down Hapu in the last Grand Trial.
See you all then!

Log #36-Hapu Grand Trial & Trial/Grand Trial Review
Ok, so I traveled around the Region, managing to get up to 94 Totem Stickers. Calling a temporary end to that quest, I decided to take on Hapu on Exeggutor Island. I opened with Muk against her Golurk. I Crunched Golurk, which made it faint, but not before setting up Stealth Rock. Now every time I sent out another Pokemon, I would take damage. She brought out Mudsdale, and I switched to Exeggutor. I was a bit nervous because I knew Mudsdale had the Z Crystal. I was able to use the Grass Z Move to beat it fast. Next came Flygon, and I switched to Sandslash, which I thought I could easily Icicle Spear it and it would be defeated. Instead, Flygon beat Sandslash through Earth Power. I brought out Dugtrio, and after hitting Flygon with Iron Head, Hapu switched out Flygon with Gastrodon, which absorbed my Iron Head attacks and beat me with Muddy Water. I switched back to Exeggutor, who beat both Gastrodon and Flygon, winning me the Grand Trial. I was given the Groundium-Z, and as of now, I have defeated all of the Trials and Grand Trials.

My Team
Dugtrio-Lv.59
Raichu-Lv.60
Marowak-Lv.59
Muk-Lv.59
Sandslash-Lv.59
Exeggutor-Lv.58

Trial & Grand Trial Review

1. Verdant Cavern: The first trial was quite challenging, and it made me concerned about Hala.
  2. Melemele Grand Trial: Hala was very difficult, due to my team at the time being mostly Dark types. Luckily, I was able to use a tactic I would use through a lot of my trials, Poison Chip Damage.
  3. Brooklet Hill: It was the second hardest trial of the bunch. Anyone who has been following this playthrough knows I almost gave up the run after this trial. After this trial, I determined that the Grand Trials mattered more than individual trials.
  4. Wela Volcano: Not nearly as hard as Brooklet Hill, especially with my own Marowak.
  5. Lush Jungle: Lurantis is usually very tough, but since I decided to use Poison Chip Damage, all I had to do was wait out Lurantis.
  6. Akala Grand Trial: Not nearly as tough as Hala was, and Dugtrio mostly swept her.
  7. Observatory: Piece of cake trial. Clean sweep. Boring, which was depressing.
  8. Thrift Store: This was a tricky trial, mainly because of the Totem having the disguise ability, which had me waste my Z-Move. Still Poison Chip Damage did the trick.
  9. Ula'ula Grand Trial: Very easy due to the regular flinching I managed to do. Usually Nanu is tough, but not so much this time.
  10. Vast Poni Cavern: Toughest trial of the bunch, mainly because of how fast the Kommo-o was. If I hadn't done the Poison Stall, I don't think I could have won that fight. It was a crazy trial.
  11. Seafolk Island: I think it was the most fun of the bunch, mainly because you got to run around and battle the other captains.
  12. Poni Island Grand Trial: Hapu was not as tough as I expected, and I was surprised Mudsdale wasn't able to pull off the Groundium Z Move. It was a fun ending of the trials.
Overall, the trials are underestimated. They are tougher than some of the Gym Leaders, especially in recent times. 5 of them were tough, and most of the others were interesting and cool. Nice concept. On the next log, we will face down Victory Road. See you then!

Log #37-Mt. Lanakila
After beating Hapu, I did some journeying, mainly because I forgot whether or not you could look through the rest of Poni Island before the elite four. When I found out I couldn't, I decided to tackle Mt. Lanakila. The challenge was easy (even Gladion) except a Master and Apprentice, who I almost lost my team to. It was a bit frustrating. I did manage to clear out all of the trainers. I was surprised that I could easily find my way through the caves on the first try. Normally it takes me a few tries to get through, mainly because I get twisted around. Thank goodness I didn't this time. Professor Kukui met me at the Pokemon League, telling me about his Kanto experience, especially a "Dragon Type Champion" (I wonder who that was?)

I talked to the Move Reminder and got some moves reminded (thank goodness I had had a meal in Konikoni City, where they were giving out Heart Scales). Before I go battle the League, I am going to go a few places to get the Z Crystals. There are 3 Z Crystals I need to get to complete the basic set. These are:

Icium Z, which is in Mt. Lanakila, and I have yet to get it. Maybe a walkthrough will help. I need it for Sandslash.
Flyinium Z, which is on Ten Carat Hill, Melemele Island.
Psychium Z, which is in Haina Desert, Ula'ula Island. I can have it for Exeggutor, just so I can switch it out with the Grass Z Crystal as needed. I might need a walkthrough for it too.

The next log will be getting the three Z Crystals. After that, I will buy enough items to get through the Elite Four and Champion. See you then.

Log #38-Hunting Down Z-Crystals
Icium Z
Leaving the Mt. Lanakila Pokemon Center, I went down the elevator back into the caves. I got back to the Ice Rock and walked around for a while until I found Veteran Ella, who was the key to finding the Z Crystal. Veteran Ella was a tough fight, especially if you are not ready for it. Eventually, I found the pedestal, pulled off the Icium Z, then gave it to Sandslash. One down, and it was the easy one.

Flyinium Z
Finding this Z Crystal was difficult, mainly because Ten Carat Hill has multiple entrances. There was a lot of breaking rocks in the water through Sharpedo so I could eventually find the right space. Once I did, I got Tauros and used it to bust through the other large rocks. Finding the pedestal, I took the Z Crystal. Suddenly, a female golfer showed up, claiming she was the flying type expert. The game didn't say who she was, but I know she is Kahili, one of the Elite Four. While I was on the island, I decided to try to open up the Seaward Cave area, since it was one of the only darkened areas left on the map. At this point, I couldn't quite do it.

Psychium Z
This was the most difficult find, considering I needed to go through the Haina Desert. I had to use a walkthrough to find it, which is here:
It was an absolute lifesaver! Quick and easy. While I was here, I opened up the Ruins of Abundance so I could fly back later. Once I was done there, I flew back to Melemele Island and managed to open up Seaward Cave through a walkthrough, with the main find being the NeverMeltIce. I also found a strange swimmer, who offered to give me "a good night". Here is the walkthrough for Seaward Cave:

The next log is the Elite Four & Champion. Here is my Team before I go to take on the final challenge of the Main Story:
Dugtrio
Level: 62
Primary Z-Crystal
: Ground
Alternate: Steel

Raichu
Primary Z-Crystal: Aloraichium
Alternates: Electric or Psychic

Marowak
Primary Z-Crystal: Fire
Alternates: Ground
or Ghost

Muk
Primary Z-Crystal: Poison
Alternate: Dark

Sandslash
Primary Z-Crystal: Ice
Alternate: Steel

Exeggutor
Level: 61
Primary Z-Crystal: Grass
Alternate: Psychic

Log #39-Elite Four & Champion
Molayne
Starting with Molayne, I opened with Marowak. Marowak fought against most of Molayne's team, and it was proof that doing affection work can make a difference. it stood up until close to the end with Metagross, where Dugtrio mopped it up. 1 Down, 3 To Go!

Olivia
Next was Olivia. I brought out Dugtrio against Armaldo, beating it down. Exeggutor took out Probopass and Gigalith, also doing a majority of the damage against Lycanroc. I switched to Dugtrio to finish Lycanroc, then switched to Muk for Cradily, hoping to take advantage of the Grass typing. It was funny because I managed to poison it, Olivia Full Healed it, then I poisoned it again. Poison damage eventually brought it down. 2 Down, 2 To Go!

Acerola
I opened with Muk against Banette, crunching it. She switched to Palossand, which Exeggutor Z Moved. Marowak battled Frosslass, which eventually saw Marowak faint. I had Muk beat Frosslass and Dhelmise. Raichu finished with battle against Driftblim. It was close, but Raichu beat it, winning the day.

Kahili
I opened with Raichu against Braviary. Raichu beat Braviary and Hawlucha before falling to Mandibuzz. Sandslash came out to finish Mandibuzz and used Subzero Hammer against Toucannon before falling to Oricorio. Muk finished Oricorio.

Hau
Hau opened with Raichu against my Dugtrio. Beat it down. He went to Flareon, and I brought out Marowak. After I did some damage to Flareon, he switched to Noivern. I changed to Sandslash, which took it down. He changed to Tauros, which Exeggutor beat after a hard fight. He brought back Flareon, which Dugtrio beat. Then came Crabominable, which after a tough battle, Marowak stopped. Raichu came out again to best Primarina. I beat Hau, and the League.

The next log starts the Post Game! Thank you for the support so far!

Log #40-The Post Game Begins
Once the game started up again, I did the hunting of the Ultra Beast for the study. In Ultra Moon, it is Stakataka. There were 2 in Poni Grove. I caught one, as did Hau, though Hau gave his up. Upon coming back home from that adventure, Sophocles came to my house and pleaded for my help against a new bad team, Team Rainbow Rocket. I freed up Festival Plaza, then I was with Lillie when she saw the news coverage about the takeover of Aether Paradise. Right now, I am avoiding clearing Team Rainbow Rocket for now, preferring to hunt the Tapus first, then clearing Poni Island (other than the Battle Tree and Battle Gauntlet), go after Zygarde, and then clear Aether. I need the levels, since those boss fights can be really nasty. I caught Nebby in a Quick Ball, then went to Tapu Kokos shrine to prepare to capture it. I may have to get Timer Balls and Dusk Balls before I seriously take them on though.

I am going to post here my planned logs through the Postgame.
Log 41-Catching the Tapus
Log 42-Sweeping Poni Island
Log 43-Legendary From Another Region
Log 44-Team Rainbow Rocket Strikes

We will have several Logs on Team Rainbow Rocket because of the Boss Fights. After that, we will cover going after the Ultra Beasts (the Ultra Warpride), ending with rematching the Elite Four and Title Defenses. There is a lot of exciting stuff ahead. See you soon!

Log #41-Catching The Tapus
After I purchased Ultra Balls and Timer Balls, I traveled to The Ruins of Conflict. I decided to use Muk as my Pokemon to catch the Tapus, since they are all part Fairy. Tapu Koko was the most difficult of the four to catch, requiring many resets before I got the right strategy. I Poisoned Tapu Koko, then stalled it out for the Timer Ball to work. After the 10th Turn, the Catch Modifier goes to 4x more effective than the standard ball. Eventually, I did catch Tapu Koko, also getting the Z Crystal. Moving on to the Ruins of Life and Tapu Lele, I used Muk to Poison Stall, then switched to Exeggutor to use psychic moves on the Tapu, since it is part psychic type. I ended up able to get the Tapu through an Ultra Ball, which surprised me because Tapu Lele usually forces the use of a Timer Ball. It is a good thing I traveled through the Haina Desert to its' completion, allowing access to the Ruins of Abundance so I could fly there. I flew there and met with Tapu Bulu, once again using Muk. I Poisoned the Tapu, with the Grassy Surge ability allowing for a regular healing of the Tapu. I captured Tapu Bulu in an Ultra Ball. There was only one more to go, Tapu Fini. Tapu Fini was at the Ruins of Hope, and can be very tricky to get, due to having an automatic protective Aura. This protective Aura blocked Poison Stall, and it beat Muk. Bringing out Sandslash, I used Icicle Spear to stall out to the Timer Ball, allowing me to catch it. I now have all four Tapus!

Log #42-Sweeping Poni Island
Clearing Poni Island was very irritating and difficult, especially considering that most of the teams on the rest of the island are 8 levels lower than myself. Starting on Ancient Poni Path, I arrived once again in Poni Grove, where I ran into the other Stakataka, which I had fainted before. After not being sure where to go, I rode around on Mudsdale, eventually finding myself on Poni Plains. I struggled to beat the trainers in the area, almost losing my entire team in some spots. With the difficulty level exceedingly high, I decided to skip clearing out the trainers near the battle tree. Instead I went to find Necrozma. Muk Poisoned it, and I dropped down the HP, eventually capturing it in an Ultra Ball. With Necrozma captured, Colress gave me the Z-Crystals and the processes to create Ultra Necrozma. After I did so, I came back to go find Zygarde. Before I could go into Poni Meadow, Dexio met with me, introduced me to Mega Evolution, then battled with me. It was a very challenging battle, but I emerged victorious in the end. In the next log, I will be going after Zygarde.

Log #43-Legendary From Another Region
Trekking through Poni Meadow, I battled a few trainers in the caves, then eventually, after much searching, I found Zygarde. Unfortunately, I couldn't poison it because Zygarde immediately set up Safeguard, preventing any status being inflicted. I captured Zygarde in the Master Ball and moved on. My team was too high level for Zygarde, and besides, I didn't have any other Main Story Legendary that was worthy of the Master Ball. In the Ultra Warp Ride, there are Legendaries, but I didn't want to hold onto it for the possibility of a Warp Ride Legend. Zygarde did not have nearly the beautiful Cave that it had in Kalos. This one was just a mud hole.

After catching Zygarde, I flew to Aether Foundation and began the Liberation, clearing out the Grunts, as I wanted to save the next log for clearing the bosses. See you next time.

Log #44-Team Rainbow Rocket Rises-Part I (Maxie and Archie)
Here we go! Before I took on Maxie and Archie, I decided to clear out the remaining trainers right before the Battle Tree, just to gain a level or two. Then, I went back to the Team Rainbow Rocket clearing out, eventually finding my way to Maxie. This is Generation 3 Maxie, meaning he cannot Mega Evolve. Still, he was a challenge, setting up the sun by using Groudon. The trickiest Pokemon was actually Mightyena, mainly because of its move diversity. Still, Groudon was a tough touch. Beating Maxie, I moved on to Archie. Archie is also Generation 3, meaning he cannot Mega Evolve. He was actually less of a challenge than Maxie, which I was surprised by, but considering that I have a few Pokemon, namely Raichu and Exeggutor, that can take advantage of Rain due to Kyogre, he wasn't too terrible of a fight.

The whole alternate universe thing is odd. Not having Brandon or May in the universe where evil won... Anyway, after beating them, they both challenged each other to battle, then, just as quickly as they appeared, they were teleported back where they came from. I am a bit nervous for the next few fights, which will be Lysandre, then Cyrus, then Ghetsis, then Giovanni (in that order). Log #45 will cover the Lysandre and Cyrus fights, while Log #46 will cover Ghetsis and Log #47 will finish this off with Giovanni.

This is the Walkthrough I am using, mainly for the puzzles, as they are tricky and I am trying to release these logs in a reasonable time scale.

Thank you to all of my supporters.

Log #45-Team Rainbow Rocket Rises Part II (Lysandre)
With the upstairs areas opened up, I went to challenge Lysandre. That was a brutal fight, especially as I got down to Yveltal. Yveltal is a beast, and it almost beat me down. That fight was exhausting! My plan now is to take a step back, train using the Elite Four and Champion, then work to clear the rest of the castle. I know this log was supposed to be Lysandre and Cyrus, but given what happened with Lysandre, I do need to train up more. I can crush the grunts, but the bosses just hurt.

My plan is to fight the Elite Four 3 times before going after Cyrus, 3 times before going after Ghetsis, and 5 times before going after Giovanni. You might argue that I want to go overleveled, and it is not fair, but these bosses are insane and they are using really strong legendaries now. Cyrus has Palkia, Ghetsis has Reshiram, and Giovanni has Mega Mewtwo. Hopefully I can finish the game since my cart of Ultra Moon is not working right now. I am cleaning out the contacts, but if I can't get it to run, I may have to just finish this incomplete. I have faith that I will get to do what I need to do and finish the run for all of you viewers. I am thanking you for the support so far, and please be patient with me.

My next planned log is going to be the 3 Title Defenses. Cross fingers and hope we can get this done.

Log #46-3 Title Defenses & Several Post Game Battles
Hey! I am back after a few days. I got my game to run again, so I started playing again. Turns out, it just had to be cleaned. With that out of the way, I got to the Title Defenses. The three I managed to pull were Hau, Ryuki (I still think more should have been done with him), and Sophocles. After I beat Hau again in the first Title Defense, I decided to do some of the Post Game fights. Those fights were Illima, Hala, and Lana. After beating Ryuki, I challenged the Battle Buffet a few times, then went after Sophocles. With these battles done, and my team now between 81 and 83, I should be able to beat Cyrus and maybe even Ghetsis. I will try Cyrus first and see how it goes. I will very likely beat him and then we will see what I want to do.

I also made a decision not to do the Warp Ride, as it can be too challenging for me due to hand controls, and I also want to get to my next Playthrough, which will be very exciting. The next log we will face down Cyrus. See you then!

Log #47-Team Rainbow Rocket Rises Part III (Cyrus, Ghetsis, & Giovanni)-Finale
After all of the training I did, I managed to get through the last puzzle without a walkthrough and then took on Cyrus. The toughest part, of course, was Palkia. I was discouraged when Cyrus brought out the Full Restores, but eventually I brought it down. I even survived Spacial Rend, which convinced me I was at the right level for finishing the game. Beating Cyrus, he gave me the Galactic Key, which opened up the mirror and warp for the final battle. Out of that warp strode Ghetsis in his BW outfit. Honestly, I liked his look better in BW2. It was easy to beat his team, with the exception of Reshiram. That Blue Flare is hard to beat. Ghetsis also had Full Restores, but eventually I beat him. This cleared the way for Giovanni. Giovanni presented the biggest issue with his Nidos, and, once they were done, all that was really left was Mewtwo, who in this game, was a Mega Y. Muk finished off Mewtwo, first with the Dark Type Z move, which Giovanni Full Restored, and then I Poison Chip Damaged Mewtwo, ending Team Rainbow Rocket forever.
I got 55 Big Nuggets as a reward, went through some cutscenes, then took on Faba. Upon finishing him, I determined that the game was done. I have done all of the major elements of the story. Here is my Final Team:

Dugtrio-Lv.84
Raichu-Lv.84
Marowak-Lv.84
Muk-Lv.84
Sandslash-Lv.84
Exeggutor-Lv.82

Thank you to all of you who have supported this run. Your support has made all of the difference. What will be my next Playthrough? In honor of Pokemon's 25th Anniversary, I decided to play Pokemon Yellow as the next game. Besides, so many of you who are current fans don't know what the original Kanto was like, so I have decided to let you experience this with me. This Yellow Run is going to be a Modified Professor Oak's Challenge. You will see the rules when I start. I hope you all will support that run as much as you supported my Y Beauty Run and this one. Off to Kanto we go!

Please note: The thread is from 3 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom