• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Unovia's White "Manga Protagonist Black" Run

Unovia

Author of Pokemon of the Week (Travelin' Dan)
Reaction score
Pronouns
  1. He/Him
Hello, and welcome to Unovia's White "Manga Protagonist Black" Run! This is our 9th Gaming Challenge. I have been preparing for this Run since early last month (August), knowing I would get here at some point. As I played through Silver, I got a bit exhausted with Generation II (don't worry, we will be back eventually), and I decided to move to a game that has more modern mechanics. Before we begin and list the Rules and how this would work, I am going to post my previous work:

In the Manga, Black has the following Pokemon in his Team:
Emboar
Braviary
Musharna
Carracosta
Galvantula
Changes From The Manga:
1. I will be using the Elemental Monkey to have a full Team of 6 by the end.
2. At the beginning of the Manga, Black had Braviary and Musharna before he gets his Starter. In the game, I will not be able to do that. As a result, I will get the Pokemon for the Team as the story progresses.
3. In the Manga, he meets with Reshiram, but because this is going to be Pokemon White, I will meet Zekrom.

Rules For The Challenge:
1. In each Gym Battle, I can only use the same number of Pokemon as the Gym Leaders.
2. I will be nicknaming all of my Team Members to match the names in the Manga.

Will I Be Able To Beat Pokemon White As Black From The Manga? I have never seen this done, so I think this will be interesting. Let's Go!

Log #1-Choosing Our Starter & Battling Our Friends
Before I discuss what happened in this first Log, I am going to post about the Season Mechanic, which is part of the Unova games:

Season: Spring
When the game began, Professor Juniper deposited a gift box to my house. I named myself Black to fit with the Manga character. My friends Cheren & Bianca met me in my room to decide what our starters would be. Because our Starter was determined by the Manga, I picked Tepig. Bianca picked Snivy, and Cheren picked Oshawott. We were immediately thrown into our first 2 battles. Snivy is faster than Tepig, and Oshawott is slower. The battles left my room a mess, and when we all left, I was tasked with picking up Bianca at her house. Bianca's father disapproved of Bianca being a trainer, and she left anyway. Talk about tense!

We went to meet with Professor Juniper, who congratulated us on getting our first Pokemon, then asked us what we wanted to name it. I nicknamed it Bo, got the Pokedex, then prepared to meet Professor Juniper on Route 1. Before we left Nuvema Town, Mom gave us the Town Map. When we all arrived on Route 1, Bianca asked that we all take our first steps together. Professor Juniper showed us how to capture a Pokemon, gave us 5 Poke Balls, then headed to Accumula Town.

Bianca initiated a challenge where we would see who could capture the most Pokemon on the Route. In the next Log, we will take that on. Until the next time, we will see you!

Log #2-A Pokemon Hunt
We ended the last Log with being challenged by Bianca to catch the most Pokemon on the Route. There are 2 Pokemon on the Route, Lillipup & Patrat.

240px-504Patrat.png
Patrat was the first Pokemon I captured. I had no intention to actually use it, so I didn't nickname it.
240px-506Lillipup.png
Catching Lillipup was a bit tricky, though I did eventually catch one. I plan to use it for a little bit (at least until I get to Striaton City), so I nicknamed it Stout, after Stoutland. It took me a bit to train it to match Bo, since I caught it at Level 2, so I switch trained it with Bo. Once I was ready, I moved on to meet with Bianca and Cheren.

When I met with Bianca and Cheren, I now had 3 Pokemon (Starter & 2 Captures), which meant I won the little contest. With that small victory, we all moved to Accumula Town to see Professor Juniper, who has been waiting for us. In the next Log, we will check out the first town in the game away from home. Until the next time, we will see you!

Log #3-A Speech & A Battle
Settling into Accumula Town, my friends and I talked to Professor Juniper, who introduced us to the Pokemon Center. Starting in this Generation, Pokemon Centers and Marts are in the same location, making it literally one stop shopping! Neat! Once the explanation was done, I healed up, deposited Patrat into the PC, then left Bianca at the Poke Mart, where she was determining good things to buy. Heading out into Town, I joined Cheren at a rally, where a guy named Ghetsis and his Knights who called themselves Team Plasma was talking about Pokemon Liberation. Among the crowd was a guy named N, who challenged me to battle after saying he could "hear my Pokemon speaking". Time to take him on!

151px-Black_2_White_2_N.png
He sent out a Purrloin (Level 7) and I sent out Bo (Level 7). We exchanged attacks, between Bo and Purrloin. It was not too long before we beat him, and it wasn't too hard. N left, muttering about Liberation.

Once we beat N, we checked out the rest of the town, adding piano & drums to the background music to the sound track and collecting another Poke Ball. We decided to end this Log with resting in the gate between Routes 1 & 2, seeing the electric news board. In the next Log, we will take on Route 2 and go through to the Dreamyard, which is east of Striaton City. Until the next time, we will see you!

Log #4-Route 2 & The Dreamyard
Continuing through the gateway, we arrived on Route 2, where we are called by our Mom, who gives us the Running Shoes in person! Woohoo! Now, we can run! We defeated all of the trainers on the Route, which allowed both Bo and Stout to get to Level 9. The last battle on the Route, heading into Striaton City is Bianca, so make sure to save before!

275px-Black_2_White_2_Bianca.png
Bianca opens with Lillipup (Level 6), which Scout beats easily. When she sends out Snivy (Level 7), I switch to Bo, which felled Snivy, winning me the battle. She leaves to make her team stronger.

Upon crossing into Striaton City, I first explore the buildings and the surrounding areas, collecting a few items. There are a few things to do in Striaton City, with the main ones being the Trainers' School and the Gym. We will check those out later. For now, let's cross into the Dreamyard, which is in the west. There are a few trainers here that we could battle, getting our duo to Level 11. Clearing them out, I checked to see if I could do much here right now. Being disappointed in seeing a Cut Tree here, I turned to notice another girl here. She is clearly not a trainer, so what is she doing here? In the next Log, we will talk to her. Until the next time, we will see you!

Log #5-Collecting A Monkey & Going To School
4353809-elemental monkeys.jpg
In the Dreamyard, I talked to the last girl in the front who offered me an Elemental Monkey. The Monkey you get depends on your Starter, giving the one that is weak against your Starter type:
Snivy --> Panpour
Tepig --> Pansage
Oshawott --> Pansear

Because I have Tepig, I got Pansage, which I named Sage. It comes in at Level 10, requiring only a little bit of training to catch it up to the rest of the team. It will be very helpful in the next Gym.
227px-Black_2_White_2_Cheren.png
After I collected the Monkey, I trained it up a little, then headed to the Trainer School, where Cheren was waiting for me. He told me that the Gym Leader had been there only a little bit ago, teaching. Cheren also introduced me to the use of Held Items, wanting to explore their use, challenging me to battle. He opened with Oshawott (Level 8), and I brought out Sage (Level 11). It took 3 Vine Whips to end the otter, mainly because it used stat lowering moves and an Oran Berry. He then changed to Purrloin (Level 7), and I changed to Bo (Level 11). Purrloin did Growl through Assist, while Bo focused on Ember, burning Purrloin. A combination of Ember and Burn chip damage took Purrloin down, winning me the battle. Cheren gave me 3 Oran Berries, and wished me luck at the Gym.

I am going to train up my Team to Level 14 to match the Gym Level. In the next Log, we will be take on the Striaton Gym. Until the next time, we will see you!

Log #6-Battles With The Trio (Gym #1)
First getting my Team to Level 12, I decided to take on the Gym trainers for experience and money. Striaton Gym is unique, as it is run by a set of triplet brothers, each of which specialize in a different type. Cilan is Grass Types. Chili is Fire Type. Cress is Water Type. This is the first Gym that was like this in any game. Initially, I went through the Gym Puzzle, which featured a curtain that has a Type on it, and challengers have to step on the button of the Type that defeats it. On top of that, there are 2 trainers, both waiters and waitresses, since the Gym also doubles as a Restaurant. Once I defeated the Puzzle and the Trainers, I left for a bit, getting my Team to Level 14. Once I did that, I was back to challenge the Gym Leader, or should I say, Leaders.

The Team:
Bo (Tepig)-Level 14
Sage (Pansage)-Level 14
Stout (Lillipup)-Level 14

Striaton Trio.jpg
Striaton Gym
At the Striaton Gym, you face the triplet (Gym Leader) who is the Type Strong against your Starter. That is why it is good to get the Elemental Monkey, as it will help to counter their Monkey. Cilan-Pansage
Chili-Pansear
Cress-Panpour

Because I have Tepig, I faced Cress. He opened with Lillipup (Level 12), and I opened with Bo. Lillipup was able to act first, using Work Up, which raised its stats. Bo just constantly used Ember. Between Tackle and Bite attacks, Lillipup almost beat Bo. Bo did manage to defeat Lillipup, but it was close. I switched Bo for Sage to face his Panpour (Level 14). Panpour was hit by Vine Whip, which did a lot of damage to Panpour. Panpour set up a Work Up. Sage used another Vine Whip, which Panpour survived and tried to fire back with Water Gun. One more Vine Whip ended the fight, earning me my first Badge.

Leaving the Gym, I ran into a scientist named Fennel, who brought me into her Lab. She asked me to go to the Dreamyard to help her get Dream Mist for her research. I also ran into Amantia, who runs the PC System. I also got Cut from Fennel. I left the Lab, healing up and prepared to go to the Dreamyard to complete this request. In the next Log, we are off to the Dreamyard. Until the next time, we will see you!

Log #7-Fennel & The Dreamyard
Traveling east across the city, we entered the Dreamyard again, this time with access to Cut. Sage was given Cut, slicing down the tree. Bianca met us at the Dreamyard (probably gave Snivy Cut to get past the tree). She was there to look for the pink Pokemon (Munna). When we got there, we saw a duo of knights who called themselves Team Plasma.

568px-Black_White_Team_Plasma_Grunts.png
The two grunts cornered a Munna and were abusing it, trying to force it to give Dream Mist. Dream Mist is used to project the dreams of people and Pokemon, and only Munna and Musharna can expel it. I defeated the two grunts, even though Bianca thought she had to defend me. A Musharna (probably the mother of the distressed Munna) projected a vision of Ghetsis to the Plasma grunts, forcing them to flee. Fennel showed up, and was rewarded with some of the Dream Mist. Bianca decided she wanted to catch one as well.
240px-517Munna.png
After the Team Plasma Grunts departed, I caught a Munna myself, which I named Musha. Munna is hard to train, due to being so slow, but we will get it caught up to the others soon. I did get to see one Audino (I think it is rare here), but Munna couldn't beat it yet.

I am spending a bit of time training up Musha, my Munna. Once it is trained up, we will go back to talk to Fennel. In the next Log, we will be leaving Striaton City. Until the next time, we will see you!

Log #8-Route 3 & The Daycare
We finished training up Musha and the rest of the Team up to Level 15, then headed into Striaton City, where we finished our business with Fennel. Fennel thanked us for getting her the Dream Mist, rewarding us with the C-Gear. Amantia gave us the Pal Pad. With these two gifts, I left the building and deposited Stout in the Box at the Pokemon Center. Heading west, we found our way out of Striaton City and onto Route 3. Route 3 is home to the Daycare of the Region, which if we were allowed to do egg breeding in this Run, we would use it, but we can't, so we defeated all of the Preschoolers and Teachers. The Daycare also has a Teacher who will heal your team so you don't have to go back to Striaton City. Don't be afraid to use this service!

227px-Black_2_White_2_Cheren.png
Going past the Daycare, I was challenged by Cheren, who wanted to see how strong I was after getting my first badge. He opened with Oshawott (Level 14) and I opened with Sage. It took a few Vine Whips, but Oshawott fell easily. He sent out Purrloin (Level 12). Sage finished Purrloin, ending the battle with my victory.
275px-Black_2_White_2_Bianca.png
After I beat Cheren, Bianca came up with a preschooler who had her Pokemon stolen by Team Plasma came up, asking for my help. Cheren told me that Team Plasma seemed to go to Wellspring Cave with their stolen loot and he chased after them while Bianca stayed with the little girl.

In the next Log, we will go to Wellspring Cave and rescue the Pokemon from Team Plasma. Until the next time, we will see you!

Log #9-Wellspring Cave
We ended the last Log with helping to the stolen Pokemon back. I met with Cheren and we walked into Wellspring Cave.

568px-Black_White_Team_Plasma_Grunts.png
Cheren and I took on the Team Plasma grunts. The Patrat apparently targeted Musha with Bite. Sage finished the battle. Cheren's Oshawott was very helpful here. After defeating them, they gave the Pokemon back. I took a minute after Cheren departed to check out the cave, collecting the TM. Turning around, I checked in with Bianca and the little girl, who was happy to get her Pokemon back.

Continuing on Route 3, I battled some more trainers, with Bo evolving from Tepig to Pgnite (Level 17). The rest of my team is Level 16. Cheren also showed Dark Grass to me before he departed. Dark Grass has the possibility of doing wild Double Battles. I am going to get my Team to Level 17 before I continue into Nacrene City. In the next Log, we will explore Nacrene City. Until the next time, we will see you!

Log #10-Exploring Nacrene
504px-531Audino_BW_anime.png
On Route 3, I got the first regular exposure to Audino. Audino gives out a TON of EXP! Using Audino, I was able to get my Team to Level 17 very easily. Feeling ready, I moved on to Nacrene City. The city is about the same size as Striaton, but has quite a few warehouses. I checked out the City, eventually managing to get a Charcoal to power up Bo's moves. Once I cleared out the City, I set myself in front of the museum, site of the Nacrene Gym.
151px-Black_2_White_2_N.png
Walking up to the Museum, I run into N, who was heading out. He challenged me to battle. He opened with Pidove (Level 13), and I opened with Bo (Level 17). One Flame Charge took out Pidove. Next was Tympole (Level 13), and I switched to Sage (Level 17). One Vine Whip took it down. Lastly was Timburr (Level 13), and I switched to Musha (Level 17). One Psybeam took Timburr down, winning me the battle. N mentioned going to find Reshiram and becoming the Hero of Legend as he walked off.

In the next Log, we will be detouring into the start of Pinwheel Forest to do some more training, as I don't feel ready to take on the Gym quite yet. Until the next time, we will see you!

Log #11-Detour into Pinwheel Forest
120px-Black_White_Lenora_2.png
Heading west out of Nacrene City, I entered the first part of Pinwheel Forest, defeating all of the trainers in the area, including a nurse who will repeatedly heal your Team, making any training easier. It is my intention to raise my Team to Level 23 before the Gym, especially for Musha, who will have access to Zen Headbutt by that point, making it a strong attacker. I will be spending a bit getting my Levels properly up.

In the next Log, we will be taking on the Nacrene Gym! Until the next time, we will see you!

Log #12-The Library Gym (Gym #2)
It's time to take on the Gym! It didn't take me too long to get my Team ready to go. At Level 22 (Bo was Level 23), I decided to take on the Trainers at the Gym, promptly figuring out that this Gym might be a bit trickier than I expected, especially since most of the Pokemon in the Gym have access to Bite and/or Crunch. Sorry Musha!

120px-Black_White_Lenora_2.png
The Gym Puzzle is about finding books that solve clues. Once I beat the trainers and found all of the needed books, I ran into a little problem...how to get to the Gym Leader? It was not super straight forward, but I eventually opened up a lower level, going down to an office space, where the Gym Leader waited for me. It was battle time!

Nacrene Gym
Lenora sent out Herdier (Level 18) and I sent out Musha (Level 23), thinking that maybe I could beat it down using Zen Headbutt. When that failed, Herdier hit me with Take Down. Musha put it to sleep using Hypnosis, then hit with another Zen Hedbutt. Lenora healed Herdier, and when Herdier woke up, one Bite took down Musha. This left me with one more Pokemon I could use. I sent out Bo (Level 23), knowing if I failed, I would have to go back to the drawing board and train more. Bo used Arm Thrust, ending Herdier. Lenora sent out Watchog (Level 20). Watchog can be a problem, having access to Hypnosis, Crunch, and Retaliate. Retaliate has double the power if used after a Pokemon has fainted, making it truly devastating. I questioned whether I should set up with Flame Charge or just Arm Thrust and hope I had enough hits to take it down. This was truly a troublesome decision. In the end, I trusted in Bo, and used Arm Thrust. Enough hits took out Watchog, surprising me, and winning me the Badge. In White 2, Cheren gives out this Badge instead.

Now with the Badge in case, Hawes, Lenora's husband, rushed in, mentioning about a Team Plasma invasion of the Museum. Going back into the Museum, we see Team Plasma steal a Dragon Skull, then march out with their stolen loot. Lenora, Hawes, and I leave the Museum, only to see Cheren, Bianca, and a guy named Burgh in front of the building.

153px-Black_White_Burgh.png
Burgh is apparently the Gym Leader of Castelia City, a city I haven't been to yet, but I think it is the next city we will be visiting. We will take you on soon, Burgh!

Cheren and Bianca defend the Gym and surrounding area, while Lenora and Burgh head off in pursuit of Team Plasma, who had headed in the direction of Pinwheel Forest. In the next Log, we will be going into Pinwheel Forest in pursuit of the thieves. Until the next time, we will see you!

Log #13-Claiming A Dragon Skull
240px-149Dragonite.png
I am convinced that the Dragon skeleton is a Dragonite.
Heading west from Nacrene City into Pinwheel Forest, I hunted for the Dragon Skull, taking out many Team Plasma grunts and and other trainers of Pinwheel Forest. Eventually, I got to the farthest reaches of the forest, where I finally cornered one Team Plasma grunt that had the skull. In the moment of triumph, a member of a group known as the "seven Sages", Gorm, showed up, and I prepared to fight. Luckily, Burgh and Lenora appeared, saving me and chasing Team Plasma off...for now. I gave the skull to Lenora.

Any thoughts on what Dragon the Dragon skeleton and Skull belongs to? Is it Dragonite? Some other Dragon? Post your thoughts in replies!

In the next Log, we will finish the journey through Pinwheel Forest and cross to Castelia City. Until the next time, we will see you!

Please note: The thread is from 1 year ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom