• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Unovia's Yellow Modified Professor Oak's Challenge

Unovia

Author of Pokemon of the Week (Travelin' Dan)
Reaction score
Pronouns
  1. He/Him
Hey Folks!
This is Unovia, Author of Pokemon of the Week as well as Unovia's Pokemon Y "Beauty Run" (Completed) and Unovia's Ultra Moon "Regional Variant" Run. I am placing all links to my previous work here:
Pokemon of the Week (POTW):

Unovia's Pokemon Y "Beauty" Run (Completed):

Unovia's Pokemon Ultra Moon "Regional Variant" Run (Completed):

With all of my work mentions out of the way, let me discuss the rules for this Run, which is inspired by The Professor Oak's Challenge with a few modifications. To see the Modifications, check out the exceptions as part of Rules 2 & 6 of this run.

Here are the Rules for this run. You will quickly see why this is a "Modified" Challenge:

1. Pikachu Must Always be In The Team. We are playing like Ash after all.
  2. I have to catch all possible Pokemon in each area before each Gym Leader, though I don’t have to evolve them before. The Catching Rule excludes Areas listed in Rule 6.
  3. Switch training and boxing is allowed.
  4. As soon as something is evolved to its full state, it must be boxed, within reason. This will force me to use Pokemon that do not evolve as my Team. The only exception to this is if I am not near a town during the evolution, in which case it will be boxed in the next town.
  5. For Pokemon that evolve via Trade, full state is the stage prior to the Trade. For Pokemon that need a Stone, full state is the state before the stone.
  6. The Safari Zone, Game Corner, & Fishing Areas are considered Post Game Areas, existing as exemptions to Rule 2.
  7. Trades across games are not allowed, though trades in game are allowed.
  8. Dupes Clause is in effect.

This is the first time I have ever done a Professor Oak's Challenge, so I hope it is fun and exciting for you all. There are only 129 Pokemon out of the 151 Pokemon available in the Pokedex. The Following Pokemon are not available at all in Pokemon Yellow:
Weedle, Kakuna, Beedrill
Ekans & Arbok
Raichu
Meowth & Persian
Koffing & Weezing
Jynx
Electabuzz
Magmar

In addition, the Following Trades are not available:
Haunter --> Gengar
Graveler --> Golem
Machoke --> Machamp
Kadabra --> Alakazam

Only 1 of the Following Pokemon are available:
Pikachu (The only Pikachu is the Starter)
Kabuto or Omanyte
Hitmonchan or Hitmonlee
Eevee (Meaning I can only evolve to one selected Eeveelution)

This Run will also be done in the Virtual Console version, as I no longer have the cartridge version and I like being able to do this on my 3DS. I hope that my viewers will watch this playthrough like they have the others, and I am so grateful for the support!
Wish me luck!

Log #1-Running Oak's Errands
"Hello there! Welcome to the world of Pokémon! My name is Oak! People call me the Pokémon Prof! This world is inhabited by creatures called Pokémon! For some people, Pokémon are pets. Other use them for fights. Myself… I study Pokémon as a profession. First, what is your name? Right! So your name is <player>! This is my grandson. He's been your rival since you were a baby. …Erm, what is his name again? That's right! I remember now! His name is <rival>! <player>! Your very own Pokémon legend is about to unfold! A world of dreams and adventures with Pokémon awaits! Let's go!"

Once the game started, I took the name Red and I named my rival Blue. I got the Potion from the PC, then went to get Pikachu. Upon getting Pikachu, Blue wanted to fight, and due to the stat drops, Eevee almost won, but I used the potion and beat him off, winning the battle. I then went to get the Parcel, getting another potion from the Pokemart representative, then used it 5 times to get the Happiness of Pikachu up, which you can do in Gen 1. After getting the Parcel and giving it to Oak, I got 15 Pokeballs. In Gen 1, Pokeballs can miss and be dodged, so it is better to have more than you think you would need. I captured a Pidgey and Rattata, training them up to Level 6. At one point, there was a Level 6 Pidgey that would not leave my team alone! I saved the game at Route 22, setting up to capture a few Pokemon and train them up before the optional fight with Blue.

Until later, see you!

Log #2-Detour to Route 22 & First Steps Into Viridian Forest
Walking onto Route 22, I had to be very careful because if I went beyond the first patch of grass, I would be battling Blue, and I was not ready for it yet. Running through that first patch of grass, I caught Spearow, both Nidorans, and Mankey, leveling all of my captures thus far to Level 8. With my team ready to go, I walked onto the road so that Blue could see me. Pikachu, surprisingly, managed to beat both of Blue's Pokemon. After beating Blue, I walked into Viridian Forest, carefully walking into the opening grass and capturing a high level Caterpie (Lv. 6). I spent some time training my team to Level 10 so I could get Butterfree boxed, opening up space in my team. After boxing Butterfree, I continued to train the rest of my team up to the goal. Once my team is Level 10, I will be taking on the trainers in Viridian Forest, hoping to get a few levels on my team.

In the next log, we will face down fully Viridian Forest while preparing to battle Brock. We will see you later!

What Pokemon do you intend to use on your team? Or are you just going to rotate around?
Well, because it's a Professor Oak's Challenge, I have to rotate around for a bit. I have figured out to just after Misty as far as Pokemon I need to catch and train. I am not sure what my final team will be, but the Pokemon that don't evolve are likely to be in the final set. Things have to be just so to make it work. As I get closer, I will likely know more. :)

Log #3-Viridian Forest
With all of my team members up to Level 10 (the two Nidorans get switch training), I decide to take on the trainers in the forest, getting most of them to Level 11 as a result. My plan was to get my team to Level 12 for the battle against Brock. After beating the trainers and getting the rest of the training done, I saved the game in the Pewter City Pokemon Center.

Let's discuss the battle against Brock. Brock is going to be a challenge for this run. I have a few strategies I am considering at this time.
1. The Nido duo and Mankey: This one is the most straight forward. Basically using fighting type moves to take Geodude and Onix down.
2. Sand Attack & Paralysis: This one involves leveling up the Nidos to Level 16, then boxing them, leaving me with Pikachu, Pidgey, Rattata, Spearow, and Mankey. While Mankey would be my main fighter, I would use Pikachu to Paralyze and Pidgey to Sand Attack and lower accuracy. There are several problems with this strategy, especially if I can't drop them before they take out my Pidgey.

I may test out before I settle on one. The next log is the battle against Brock! See you all later!

Log #4-Pewter City Gym
DP-Brock.png

I thought for a moment on my strategy, deciding to focus on strategy 1, Nido duo and Mankey. Opening with Pikachu for the experience, I switched out to Mankey to take out Diglett, then switched out to Pikachu again and then back to Mankey for Sandshrew. With Brock's trainer friend done, it was time for the big man himself. Once again opening with Pikachu against Geodude, I switched to Nidoran M, who beat it down with Double Kick. First switching out again to Pikachu against Onix, I switched to Nidoran F. Onix used Bide against Nidoran F, which I thought would collapse her. When it didn't, I just kept Double Kicking away, beating Onix without too much problem. Big win for me! One badge down!

With the path forward now open, I prepare to head onto Routes 3 and 4. The next log will cover that. I will have a few trainings to do once I clear the two Routes, since after that will be Mt. Moon. See you all later!

Log #5-Routes 3 & 4
After I defeated Brock, I defeated all of the trainers in the area between Pewter and Mt. Moon, leveling up some of my team to Level 13. Once I cleared out the trainers, I walked to the Pokemon Center next to Mt. Moon, where I paid $500 for Magikarp. I then worked to level up both Nidorans to Level 16 so they could evolve and then be boxed. Right now, I am training Magikarp, Rattata, and Spearow to Level 20 so that I can box Gyrados, Raticate, and Fearow, respectively. Then I will train up Sandshrew so it is a viable team member (I caught it at Level 8), getting it to Level 14 along with Pikachu, Pidgey, and Mankey. I will put Nidorino and Nidorina in my team so I don't have to worry about having underleveled Pokemon in my team.

Looking ahead to Mt. Moon, I will be catching Zubat, Paras, Geodude, and 2 Clefairy, one that is for myself and the other to trade for Mr. Mime down the road. I will have to make sure I have a few Escape Ropes so I can get my captures and leave Mt. Moon before coming out on the other side so I can train up Zubat to Level 22, Paras to Level 24, and Geodude to Level 25. Preferably, I want to do the trainings before battling Jessie and James. It may take a few days, but I will get it done.

There is a lot to do, and I hope you viewers stay patient with me while I work on the level ups. The next log is Mt. Moon, and all that entails. See you all later.

Log #6-The First Steps In Mt. Moon
Today, I finished the level ups for Magikarp, Raticate, and Fearow, boxing them right away. I also finished training up Sandshrew to where I could use it. Walking into Mt. Moon, I managed to catch the major catches of Mt. Moon. I will have to get the second Clefairy when I go back through Mt. Moon for the final time. Right now, I am going to take some time and train up Zubat, Paras, and Geodude. Should be only a day or two. Once I get my level ups for Geodude, Paras, and Zubat, I will finish my trek through Mt. Moon. I think I beat most if not all of the trainers, with the exception of some of the Team Rocket Grunts and Jessie and James.

The next Log will find me at the end of Mt. Moon, ready to face Jessie and James. I will probably get my team (Pikachu, Sandshrew, Mankey, and Pidgey) up after the others so I can get to Cerulean and be ready for my fight against Blue on the Nugget Bridge. See you all later.

Log #7-Grabbing A Fossil, Beating Team Rocket, and Gathering A Bulbasaur
I worked on leveling up Zubat, Paras, and Geodude, getting Zubat to Golbat at Level 22. The other two I worked to Level 16, then incorporated them to my regular team. Anyone notice that Zubat is like a Flying Magikarp? After I got my entire team to Level 16, I walked back through Mt. Moon. Unfortunately, I did not get the second Clefairy. Oh well, I will get it around the next time. I managed to beat Jessie and James after collecting the Helix Fossil (Lord Helix awaits!)! I did get the Moon Stones for finishing the Nidos.
My Pikachu was happy enough for me to get Bulbasaur. At least I am training in a different patch of grass (the one just outside Cerulean City). Got so tired of the one outside the Mt. Moon Pokemon Center!

Level Up Plan:
Bulbasaur (Lv. 18)-Evolves at 16
Pidgey (Lv. 18)
Geodude (Lv. 25)
Paras (Lv. 24)

That will help reduce my team a bit so I can find a few new catches. See you later!

By the way, what is your pokedex looking like? I feel that for this challenge it makes sense to mention how many Pokemon you have seen as well as how many you have obtained.

What Does My Dex Look Like, Post #1
By the way, what is your pokedex looking like? I feel that for this challenge it makes sense to mention how many Pokemon you have seen as well as how many you have obtained.
Indeed, so here we go. This list will be broken down into Completed and Pokemon To Be Completed.
Completed Pokemon:
Butterfree
Raticate
Fearow
Pikachu (Cannot Evolve)
Nidoqueen
Nidoking
Golbat
Gyrados
Total:18

To Be Completed:
Venusaur (Currently an Ivysaur)
Pidgeot (Currently a Pidgeotto)
Sandslash (Currently a Sandshrew)
Clefable (Currently a Clefairy)
Parasect (Currently a Paras)
Primeape (Currently a Mankey)
Graveler (Currently a Geodude)

When I am done with this training session, Paras and Geodude will be added to the Completed list.

Interesting challenge. It could be fun in a game with a small Pokedex, otherwise it can be difficult as you can accidentally grind a lot while catching Pokemon and fully evolve your Pokemon. Good luck!

Interesting challenge. It could be fun in a game with a small Pokedex, otherwise it can be difficult as you can accidentally grind a lot while catching Pokemon and fully evolve your Pokemon. Good luck!
Yeah, if I were to decide to do this, I would most likely do it on a game with a small Pokedex. Like, Let's Go, Pikachu since it has the orignal 151 Pokemon (Plus Meltan and Malmetal [and the Alola Forms]).

Yeah, if I were to decide to do this, I would most likely do it on a game with a small Pokedex. Like, Let's Go, Pikachu since it has the orignal 151 Pokemon (Plus Meltan and Malmetal [and the Alola Forms]).
Part of the reason why I did this was because it has a small Pokedex. I would not do a large dex like that. The grinding in Gen 1 is hard, mainly because you don't have the level up bar (that was introduced in Gen 2), so you constantly have to check for how much Experience until the next level.
Thanks guys for the support. It means a lot!

Log #8-Blue, Nugget Bridge, and Some New Captures
To open up this log, I got both Geodude and Paras to Graveler and Parasect respectively, boxing them immediately. I got the rest of my team to Level 18, then took on the battle with Blue. He was easier than I expected. Some of my Pokemon got to Level 19, and only Mankey fainted during the battle (Beaten by Hyper Fang). I beat the Nugget Bridge (including the secret Team Rocket Grunt), then captured Bellsprout, Oddish, and Venonat. I also got Charmander from Damian. Right now, I am training up my Pokemon.

Here are my goals:
1. Get Bellsprout and Oddish to Level 21 so they can be a Weepinbell and Gloom. Box them right away.
2. Get Venonat and Charmander to Level 26. That will get Charmander to a Charmeleon (Level 16).
3. Get the rest of my team to Level 26.
4. Get Mankey and Sandshrew to Level 28 so they can be a Primeape and Sandslash. Box them right away.

Right now, I have 33 Captures. This training block will see that number grow to 38. I want to get more than 40 Species before the S. S. Anne so I can rub the number in Blue's face, since he mentions how he has 40 Species on the ship. After this training session, I will be heading out to Bill's House, getting the S. S. Anne ticket, then battling Misty. Considering my team will be Level 26 when I go after her and her team is Level 21, it should be easy to beat her, especially since Pikachu will have Thunderbolt, which he gets at Level 26 (hence why I am training up to that point).

The next log will cover the Bill visit and going after Misty. See you all later!

Log #9-Leveling Up, Meeting Bill, and Stopping A Crime
Hi Folks!
Over the last week, I have been busy with work (I am a substitute teacher), but I have been working hard to get this log up.

First, I completed the training of Bellsprout and Oddish to Weepinbell and Gloom, then boxed them. Charmander is a Charmeleon as well. Venonat is up to Level 26. With that training done so far, I was looking on Bulbapedia, and I saw that I could get to Route 5 without Cut if I met with Bill. Why is it important to get onto Route 5 right now? Well, on Route 5, there is Abra and Jigglypuff on the Route and they are low level, so I have to be careful.

Going through Route 25, I used Mankey and Sandshrew to train them up. I then met with Bill, who Pikachu was shocked by. After helping him and getting the Eeveelution pages added to my dex, I found that Officer Jenny moved from the house where Dig was stolen. This house in Cerulean is a quick passage to Route 5, so I took the Rocket grunt on. Beating him, I was awarded with Dig. I still have to finish training Sandshrew and Mankey. Both evolve at Level 28.

Once I get them into the boxes, I am going to go onto Route 5, grab both captures, then train up Abra to Kadabra. My captures will go up to 41 and then I will finish leveling up my main team to Level 26. Once that is done, I will finally go after Misty. That will be the next log, I promise. After defeating Misty, I will put up an update on what my dex looks like. Thank you all for the support!

Log #10-Cerulean City Gym
First, I went onto Route 5, capturing an Abra and a Jigglypuff. I boxed Jigglypuff right away, then worked to get Abra to Kadabra. I then went through the Underground Path, training along the way, eventually unlocking Vermilion City. I also traveled on to Route 11 and Diglett's Cave, beating the trainers and capturing a Diglett and a Drowzee, deciding to level them up post Misty. Getting my team to Level 26, I found that I now had obtained 43 Pokemon. While in Vermilion, I obtained an Old Rod and a Bike Voucher for the bike. $1,000,000 for a bike! That is crazy! After finishing the training up to Level 26, I first got the Item Finder headed back to Cerulean and exchanged the Voucher for the Bike. Through all of my training, I had managed to unlock all of the areas before Misty, so I felt it was time to take her on.

MistyEP.png

Finally it was time for the Gym Battle. Making sure to have Pikachu and Ivysaur in the front of my team, I switched between the two to take on her swimmer and camper friends, then battled her. Staryu was OHKOed by Ivysaur. Starmie was the real picnic. Thank goodness Pikachu now had Thunderbolt because I don't think Pikachu could have survived without the levels, especially since Bubblebeam did more damage than I expected. Two Thunderbolts took Starmie down, winning me my second Badge. 2 Down!

The next logs will be:
-Update on the Dex
-S.S. Anne Subquest
-Vermilion City Gym

Please look forward to those, and I will see you later!

Please note: The thread is from 3 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom