• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Unpopular in-game Pokemon

Lennongrad

Just add sugar
Reaction score
In my Moon playthrough, I picked up a Mareanie due to falling in love with it pre-release. While playing, I noticed that it seemed like there was an NPC in nearly every town that talked about how horrible Mareanie/Toxapex is. There were also a few NPCs that mentioned not liking Mimikyu, who was also on my team. Of course, this made me defensive of them and love them even more.

Now I'm wanting to do a playthrough with a team of these "unloved" Pokemon. I'm looking for examples of Pokemon that aren't well-liked in the universe of the games themselves. This is not limited to Alola, so comments from NPCs from past games apply. I'm aware that most of these Pokemon are probably going to be of the Poison and Ghost variety, so if anyone could help me find some examples that are other types as well, that'd be great!

Thanks for any help you can offer!

Unless you specifically go out of your way to hunt for one I'm very doubtful anyone stumbled onto Dhelmise by chance.

Unless you specifically go out of your way to hunt for one I'm very doubtful anyone stumbled onto Dhelmise by chance.
I didn't mean rare Pokemon - I mean Pokemon that people have mentioned in game as not liking because they're bad/evil/unlucky/ugly/gross/a nuisance/etc. NPCs in Sun/Moon mentioned Mareanie/Toxapex being mean because it preys on Corsola; others didn't like Mimikyu because they're scared of what's under the Pikachu cloak. NPCs in Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald didn't like Absol because they thought it brought disasters. Stuff like that.

In the Kanto games everyone complains about Grimer/Muk polluting the crap out of everything. Sorry that they're also Poison types. I guess Spearow might count since in both the games and the anime they like to attack people/Pokemon in swarms just cause they are full of meanz~ (plus, their Japanese name means "demon sparrow")

I'm definitely open to Poison/Ghost suggestions! Others are just extra appreciated. :)

In the Kanto games everyone complains about Grimer/Muk polluting the crap out of everything. Sorry that they're also Poison types. I guess Spearow might count since in both the games and the anime they like to attack people/Pokemon in swarms just cause they are full of meanz~ (plus, their Japanese name means "demon sparrow")

A lot of people use Spearow.

Use Ekans.

Fearow is really nothing to write home about. Normal/flying is pretty sub-par defensively and offensively, it has about 4 viable coverage options, and its bulk (65/65/61) is pretty bad. 90 attack and 100 speed are nice, but not enough to redeem it.

Back to the topic at hand, Murkrow. Most of its 'Dex entries talk about either how its said to bring misfortune to those who see one or how it lures unsuspecting victims to their demise. That, and look at what the dastardly birds did to Lillie.

Sneasel's Pokémon Moon Pokedex Entry states:

It uses its claws to poke holes in eggs so it can slurp out the insides. Breeders consider it a scourge and will drive it away or eradicate it.

I recall that in an episode of the anime, a Johto filler episode, townsfolk were disgruntled by a Yanma that kept shattering windows due to the speed of its fluttering wings. I'm not sure if this is a concern that people share in the gameverse, but the Pokedex mentions that the species has this tendency all the same.

There are also the typical suspects such as Rattata, Purrloin and Murkrow which are thought of lowly due to their despicable acts towards trainers.

In all, the Pokedex might be a good way of finding out how specific species of Pokémon affect humans and environments in the Pokémon world.

Last edited:
It would be not be useful on a team but, the pokédex is not very fond of Magikarp:

"Magikarp is a pathetic excuse for a Pokémon that is only capable of flopping and splashing. This behavior prompted scientists to undertake research into it."

"It is virtually worthless in terms of both power and speed. It is the most weak and pathetic Pokémon in the world."

Fearow is a boss. Spearow is strong compared to other birds.

It's true. Fearow and Dodrio are basically tied for being the best birds in Kanto. Fearow is a great Pokemon. I think I used one in my original playthrough of HeartGold. They hit the hardest and fastest (not counting legendaries obviously).

Please note: The thread is from 7 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom