• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Unreleased info in some S/V-related pages in Bulbapedia

Reaction score
I've noticed on some character pages on 'pedia, such as Penny (and assuming for Arven and Nemona as well, but haven't looked so as to avoid further spoliers) that info from the leaked upcoming epilogue event has been added. Isn't it against Bulbapedia policy to add info that hasn't been officially released/revealed, so that people who don't want to see spoilers don't end up seeing any accidentally? I feel like that info shouldn't be on 'pedia until January 11th when the epilogue comes out.

The current unreleased materials policy is only concerned with leaked information - that is, information about upcoming games or pre-release builds of games that are made public without proper authorization - and was devised out of concerns about getting in legal trouble. It's not about shielding readers from spoilers, unfortunately. Information about the epilogue was added in the Indigo Disk update, so dataminers found out about it, and Bulbapedia doesn't have policies against datamined content being added. I'm not a fan of stuff being added as soon as it's datamined rather than waiting until it's released, since I like to experience the story and discover new Pokémon myself, but it's not breaking any rules, so there's not much I can do about it. However, if there's a strong sentiment among the community that we should be more considerate about spoiling things for users, we might be able to change that.

i know quite a few people who were confused when this info was added to bulbapedia with that being how some details from the epilogue were spoiled for them. personally i can say that among my circles online the consensus has been that it'd be better if it wasn't listed on the page. personally i think it'd be fine to still include that content, but perhaps it'd be best if possible to add an additional spoiler warning for those pages to indicate that it contains information from the currently inaccessible to the average player epilogue.

Just wanted to update y'all in case you're not active on Discord, staff are currently working on/discussing a template that, when added to a page, will allow users choose to hide or show spoilers. :bulbaLove:
I like this idea. It could even be good for older pages like Pryce in the manga. I hope it comes to fruition!

Just wanted to update y'all in case you're not active on Discord, staff are currently working on/discussing a template that, when added to a page, will allow users choose to hide or show spoilers. :bulbaLove:
Is the team discussing how it would work on secondary pages like Abilities, Types, TMs, Moves, etc? Because I was just spoiled the new mythical art, name, types because I was searching the Memento page. If the problem with leaked data is because of legal reasons, data mining is also a no no if you go for that argument.

I normally don't care about spoilers, I live for leaks on PoGo and like some degree of spoilers for new things, but it was really gratuitous to get unreleased data popping in several random pages just because technically there's data of it inside the game's archive. The origin of this info is the least of the problems.

Is the team discussing how it would work on secondary pages like Abilities, Types, TMs, Moves, etc? Because I was just spoiled the new mythical art, name, types because I was searching the Memento page. If the problem with leaked data is because of legal reasons, data mining is also a no no if you go for that argument.

I normally don't care about spoilers, I live for leaks on PoGo and like some degree of spoilers for new things, but it was really gratuitous to get unreleased data popping in several random pages just because technically there's data of it inside the game's archive. The origin of this info is the least of the problems.
Datamining itself isn't illegal, so the only real issue here is the topic of spoilers. Unfortunately, some staff members objected to the idea of putting in extra effort to avoid spoiling people on unreleased information, and the discussion was getting a bit heated, so it had to be put on hold to let emotions cool off. For now, we just have a new notice template to warn people when an article or section contains unreleased information. I'm hoping we'll be able to implement a more substantial spoiler-hiding method before the next time new Pokémon or events are discovered from datamining.

Back
Top Bottom