• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

News Unshō Ishizuka (voice of the narrator, Prof. Oak, and Samson Oak) has died of cancer.

Ah, this hit me harder than I would have expected :( There's a really specific kind of sadness when we lose the voices behind beloved characters that have been around for so long. I'm a bit behind on the anime currently so I didn't know Kukui's voice actor had stepped in as narrator, but that does explain a lot.

He was really talented and he'll be missed.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

He was my favorite actor in the Japanese version! I liked him as Jet on Cowboy Bebop as well. But now, he’s gone. I had no idea that he was even sick.

I felt steangerly after watching the last episode without it voice specially when it said mada mada tsudzuka. Also, i fwlt that the new peraon who talk in the anime was try to be like him

I didn't know the man, I didn't follow his work. I don't know the first thing about this gentleman. But I know the role that he performed. I remember watching the Best Wishes series which got me into the animation, and seeing the haikus at the end of each episode. How nonsensical they were, yet how each one always brought a smile to my face.

Damn, this is different though. This feels similar to the death of Bulma's VA back in November. Two legends who were there from the very beginning of their respective series. My condolences to his family.

Here's a nice piece of memorial art I found soon after the news came:
voice_of_professor_oak___unsho_ishizuka_tribute_by_rohanite-dckgd90.png

By: Rohanite (DeviantArt)
Once again: rest in peace, Ishizuka-sama. Your legacy will never be forgotten.

I wonder if Professor Oak's reduced role and importance in recent years was related to Unshou Ishizuka's health problems?

I doubt it, it seems more like a coincidence. Remember that he continued voicing the narrator, and also voiced the Pokedex in BW and XYZ. And I'm sure that Samson Oak wouldn't have been introduced to the anime if Unshou Ishizuka was sick then.

I feel like Ishizuka narrated my childhood, in a way. So much nostalgia whenever I think of or hear the delightful song, Hyakugojuichi, and that was also really the first Japanese Pokemon song I ever learned to sing along to. Hearing his kindly and positive narration in almost every episode was what tied the show together and made you feel like whatever happened, everything was going to be alright. So, farewell Ishizuka, and thank you.

"Faraway, somewhere
I'm sure there's a place
Where there will be companions
One hundred and fifty-one joys
One hundred and fifty-one dreams
One hundred and fifty-one memories
Aim to do your best!"

This kind of thing is a fear I have for many long-running anime and cartoons. Dragon Ball went through this recently when Hiromi Tsuru, the VA for Bulma, died suddenly and unexpectedly late last year. (I just now found out her cause of death: aortic dissection, the same thing that killed John Ritter.)

The cast list for the next week's episode has been released, and it includes Ishizuka as Samson Oak, so I guess we'll have to see how many episodes ahead they had managed to record his lines before his death.

I think that they mentioned that Ishizuka would still be in the cast up until October here: Late Voice Actor Unshō Ishizuka Remains in Pokémon Anime Until October

We still don't know for sure how many episodes he'll be featured in, but it seems like they had him record a couple of months in advance of those appearances.

I blame Fukushima for this ever since that disaster occurred. Japan have the highest rate to get cancer. That is no surprised of his death was caused by cancer.

I think that they mentioned that Ishizuka would still be in the cast up until October here: Late Voice Actor Unshō Ishizuka Remains in Pokémon Anime Until October

We still don't know for sure how many episodes he'll be featured in, but it seems like they had him record a couple of months in advance of those appearances.
@Hidden Mew
If that is the case, we might see something special in October or maybe a miracle happens for Sophocles's Charjabug evolve into Vikavolt since we haven't see it making appearance in the anime yet. But I won't get my hope up since 85% of Ash's Classmate didn't battle very often beside only Kiawe.

Singaporean said:
I blame Fukushima for this ever since that disaster occurred. Japan have the highest rate to get cancer. That is no surprised of his death was caused by cancer.

A few things:

1) There is no evidence that Mr. Ishizuka lived in or near Fukushima at any point in his life.
2) Japan's cancer rate is actually quite low...48th place , in fact, according to the World Cancer Research Fund International. That's a far cry from "the highest rate to get cancer."
3) Mr. Ishizuka was famously a heavy drinker; drinking, as well as being over 55 (he was 67) and a man, are all listed as a risk factors for esophageal cancer by the American Cancer Society.

Last edited by a moderator:
Please note: The thread is from 5 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom