• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

News Unshō Ishizuka (voice of the narrator, Prof. Oak, and Samson Oak) has died of cancer.

Dang! :eek:
Not only does this put us in an awkward position for the Narrator and the Oaks, but now we're gonna need new VAs for Gyrados, the Onix line, and Blastoise. :cautious:
(Looks like Sophocles is going to use his Charjabug even less now, or it's going to evolve fairly soon)

I know I'm very late on commenting on this unfortunate turn of events, but I'd just like to say RIP, to Unsho Ishizuka: the Anime will never be the same without him in Japanese- always loved his performances as Samson and Prof. Oak, the narrator, Magikarp Salesman, and countless others over the years. He definitely had a certain wise, authoritative, and yet goofy charm to his performances that will be missed dearly. He was also great in his performances from Gozaburo Kaiba in Yu-Gi-Oh, in Naruto as Zabuza, and as Mr. Satan in Dragonball, among so many others he portrayed. The presence and gravitas to his performances will always be something that will stand the test of time, and hopefully, they dedicate an episode or film etc. to his memory, IMO.

A few things:

1) There is no evidence that Mr. Ishizuka lived in or near Fukushima at any point in his life.
2) Japan's cancer rate is actually quite low...48th place , in fact, according to the World Cancer Research Fund International. That's a far cry from "the highest rate to get cancer."
3) Mr. Ishizuka was famously a heavy drinker; drinking, as well as being over 55 (he was 67) and a man, are all listed as a risk factors for esophageal cancer by the American Cancer Society.
@Dogasu
First of all, I agreed most of the lists and second, lowest cancer rate doesn't mean that that some individuals will not get infected even though in 48th place, where 1 out of 48 might be in the risk to get infected. Not to even mention, the food that export are 90% coming from the sea. Where the fisherman 24/7 hunting outside. Don't you think, that Mr. Ishizuka might contact some of it radioactive the food that he eat instead only drinking alcohol?

Also, the site that you provided are 100% not reliable as in few years many of them had been confirm being fraud, just for the sake to scare everybody to earn more money.

See here:
Cancer Research - A Super Fraud?

One last thing, even though you're mod here doesn't mean you can push anybody around such as me to claim yourself great. Just because you're in the top position of forum and write "Classless Act" word toward me to show you're right and I was wrong as all your writing had been recorded down will be put into reviewing for other mods to question about your behavior of this aggression as they discussing isn't going to keep or remove you or no. In their own decision from the private conversation.

@Dogasu
First of all, I agreed most of the lists and second, lowest cancer rate doesn't mean that that some individuals will not get infected even though in 48th place, where 1 out of 48 might be in the risk to get infected. Not to even mention, the food that export are 90% coming from the sea. Where the fisherman 24/7 hunting outside. Don't you think, that Mr. Ishizuka might contact some of it radioactive the food that he eat instead only drinking alcohol?

Also, the site that you provided are 100% not reliable as in few years many of them had been confirm being fraud, just for the sake to scare everybody to earn more money.

See here:
Cancer Research - A Super Fraud?

One last thing, even though you're mod here doesn't mean you can push anybody around such as me to claim yourself great. Just because you're in the top position of forum and write "Classless Act" word toward me to show you're right and I was wrong as all your writing had been recorded down will be put into reviewing for other mods to question about your behavior of this aggression as they discussing isn't going to keep or remove you or no. In their own decision from the private conversation.
Is it the right place for a tirade such as this?

Megumi Hayashibara posted an amusing story about Mr. Ishizuka from around the time of the first movie. One day someone's kid - she doesn't remember whose - came to the studio to visit . Mr. Ishizuka was in-character (and maybe even dressed up) as Dr. Ookido as part of some promotional campaign. He goes over to the kid, sees something related to Mew2 and goes "Ah, that's Mew-ni!" In other words, he read the 2 in Mew2 as the Japanese word ni, not the English word two. Ms. Hayashibara remembers the kid incredulously shouting out "that professor's a fake!"

From that day on, the cast would go on to tease him about this infamous "Mew-ni" flub.

I'm a little late to this as well, but I feel like a part of my childhood died. Even though I know he will continue to be in the show it sort of feels like Prof. Oak has died, and the narrations will never be the same. I only watch the Japanese version now a days, so I'm definitely going to be crying the last time I here his voice in the anime.

Unsho Ishizuka really missed the opportunity to voice a lot of Pokemon, especially fully evolves and fearsome looking ones. Examples would be Liepard and Toxapex.

Last edited by a moderator:
I knew that Unsho Ishizuka was Kiawe's Charizard's original Japanese seiyu, so did somebody that was found available replaced him as its second seiyu, has Unsho Ishizuka's audio has been archive for Kiawe's Charizard? What do you think?

Last edited:
I knew that Unsho Ishizuka was Kiawe's Charizard's original Japanese seiyu, so did somebody that was found available replaced him as its second seiyu, has Unsho Ishizuka's audio has been archive for Kiawe's Charizard? What do you think?
They're using archived audio for Charjabug and Toucannon so probably the same case for Charizard.

They're using archived audio for Charjabug and Toucannon so probably the same case for Charizard.

Wait, Toucannon was voiced by Ishizuka?

And I'm hoping with this decision, they used archived audio for a majority of his other Pokemon - Ursaring, Onix, Steelix, you name it. It's not like they don't have almost two decades worth of stuff to pick from.

Oh, yeah. Ishizuka's audio will probably also be archived for Brock's Steelix and Misty's Gyarados.

If you were Unsho Ishizuka, how would you have voiced the following Pokemon:
Zebstrika
Roserade
Gothitelle
Male Jellicent
Toxapex
Liepard
Tyranitar

Please note: The thread is from 5 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom