• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Untold Pokémon Facts

Reaction score
Have you ever wondered what a Diglett/Digtrio looked like underground?

or how people get their Gym leader position?.

Well here you can theorize and what a Diglett/Dugtrio looks like underground or How people get the Gym leader status, or any other things that got you wondering "why?".

Theorize away.

I think Gym Leaders are assigned by a special comitee on theri respective Leage/Region, they must comply with certain requirements (Safron City has two gyms but only one authorized to give an official league badge); either way as we can see in the anime (Gary in 1st season) there might be more than eight gyms in any given region but they are still able to give official badges.

Regarding the Gym Leaders, have a read on what Bulbapedia has to say:
It has not exactly been made clear how Gym Leaders attain their position, but it appears that it varies for each gym. Some of them founded their gym and are self-appointed, others appear to be passed on through families, while a few are chosen by the other members of the gym.

Regarding Diglett/Dugtrio, it was mentioned once by a Diglett in Pokémon Mysterious Dungeon that they have feet underneath.

I have often wondered how a Garchomp is able to fly at mach speeds, despite not being a flying type, not having levitate ability and not being able to learn fly by any means. Also how come it looks so much like a Sharpedo. garchomp has a tail that could be used well in water, it has fin like appendages on its arms and its head looks like a hammerhead shark, with the star that sharpedo has.

Regarding Diglett/Dugtrio, it was mentioned once by a Diglett in Pokémon Mysterious Dungeon that they have feet underneath.

that would be an odd sight to see a diglett/dugtrio out of the ground.

It isn't so much of a why question, but what's the deal with Pokemon like Hitmonchan having boxing gloves, or Jynx having a dress? Are these just parts of their bodies that look like human things or what?

It isn't so much of a why question, but what's the deal with Pokemon like Hitmonchan having boxing gloves, or Jynx having a dress? Are these just parts of their bodies that look like human things or what?

Yes I have always wondered why they do. Are these things there when they evolve or something? Same with Machoke/Champ having shorts/belt. Also wondered what exactly tangela/tangrowths face actually looks like

Last edited:

Hitmonchan probably wears gloves so as not to break its body
That thing can hit hard
Allot of animals can hit harder than they can take
humans for instance wear gloves for this reason
(a boxer punching something he can't break would shatter his arm to his shoulder, rough guess anyway seeing as they hit with the power of a car)

Dugtrio are I think are very large diamater drills underneath
The dirt is drilled up and past the head so that it digs without creating a hole but can create a hole to live in though it is harder

It evolves into dugtrio and probably grows 3 drills instead of one increasing movement possibilities.
It gets the metal by eating heavy metals in the earth.

Jynx probably makes that dress lots of things make dresses hermit crabs for instance
Course jynx is smarter than a hermit crab

Machoke/machamp I would guess get there belts through mochoke/machamp exclusive competitions.
they have thumbs they can make belts.

Has there been a machoke evolving in an episode?
or a machop evolving into a machoke even?
That's an easy way to find out.
I always figured machop to be one of those evolves with age instead of some drastic instantaneous molecular change
You know gradually grows up into machamp
Reaches sexual maturity and starts wearing pants.

Last edited:
^That's funny. Then how come a female Machoke/Machamp does not look like a muscled female boxer?

About the GYMs I think they are kind of like fight clubs with an appointed leader who is the best amongst all the members. Then they have leagues with officials that measure and decide whether a Gym's leader is tough enough to pose a rigorous challenge for a trainer's qualifications. The way I see it they are just regular trainers with added responsibilities.

I've wondered why gym leaders stick to a certain set type in every single generation.. Or why alot of those trainers that challenge you to a battle on the route have a certain preference towards certain types and categories of pokemon. I mean, lack of diversity would make your team weaker and render you less likeyly to become a champion.

I really wonder what Cubone looks like without it's skull. You'd think there would be fan art of ot, but it must not be popular enough to advertise on google images.

I've wondered why gym leaders stick to a certain set type in every single generation.. Or why alot of those trainers that challenge you to a battle on the route have a certain preference towards certain types and categories of pokemon. I mean, lack of diversity would make your team weaker and render you less likeyly to become a champion.

A gym can be designed a certian way, to take advantage of certian pokemon types, like a pool of water for water types or rocks everywhere for rock types. Pokemon being in their kind of natural enviroment when battling would give them an advantage. gym leaders using only one type gives them more time to focus on that type and be strong with one type. Having mutiple types may not make them as strong as one gym leader may know grass types very well (Gardinia comes to mind) but not say rock types as say brock or Roark would know well would take longer to become a gym leader. And the visual layout of a gym usually can't be used for two different types of pokemon. if anyone has seen Chronicles episode where Brock came back to Pewter gym and his mom turned it into water gym can probably understand where I am coming from.

As for trainers using pokemon from area, thats the point. To show of the pokemon in that area, and since they are in area, we presume they caught a pokemon from the area and are using it.

but what I can't understand is why trainers tend to use the same pokemon or its evolutions more than once. A swimmer with Staryu-Staryu-Starmie? Variety people! Sure staryu/Starmie might be catchable in are, but surely others are too like horsea? Why not go Staryu-Horsea-Starmie if needs be? Or even have 3 different species of pokemon found in the area your in as there is usually more than two types found there.

You know gradually grows up into machamp
Reaches sexual maturity and starts wearing pants.

lol on that one

I have often wondered how a Garchomp is able to fly at mach speeds, despite not being a flying type, not having levitate ability and not being able to learn fly by any means.

Notice how these appendages resemble wings of jets, and planes. The answer lies to these wing-like appendages. Now let's get scientific and review the law of aerodynamics.

It is evident that Garchomp is strong enough to push himself into the air. It cannot fly but it can jump.

Now, while it jumps upward, air is pulled towards itself. Then, the air rushes out towards its back. This pushes Garchomp through the air. This is called "thrust". This thrust causes air to flow quickly over its "wings".

The special shape of its wings makes the air go faster over the top of the wings. The faster air going over the top creates low air pressure. The air going under the wing is slower and has high air pressure. This is called a "lift". Lift is what makes Garchomp go up. This is also what happens to jets and planes. Garchomp's weight is what pulls it back down. If Garchomp is to "fly", the lift must be greater than the weight.

That explains why Garchomp can fly like a jet plane at sonic speed.

Now let's get scientific and review the law of aerodynamics.

yay! hehe. Nice anangy, seems to work for how Garchomp can fly.

Now here is one. I have wondered this since I saw one use this move in game. How does a diglett/dugtrio use slash? I kinda assumed its nose was used for the slashing, but thats kinda funny and odd way of looking at it. Since there is no other physical appendages above ground, how does it do it?

I have wondered this since I saw one use this move in game. How does a diglett/dugtrio use slash? I kinda assumed its nose was used for the slashing, but thats kinda funny and odd way of looking at it. Since there is no other physical appendages above ground, how does it do it?

Hmmm. That's a tough one. Well, here's what I think:

I've mentioned above that Diglett has feet. Maybe... just maybe, it jumps off the ground and uses its feet to damage enemies with "slash-type attacks" despite not seeming to have hands or claws.

Here's my question: What's inside Forretress' shell?

Garchomp wouldn't be able to hover then would he?
Besides he would only be able to glide like a gargoyle then.
Thats not flying he is clearly shown flying
If you put energy into wings to move them up there is NOTHING that will multiply that energy. The shape of the wings could never keep that thing going past the initial jump energy it could only glide.
I think? (I'm not a scientist here just a b.s.er)

Machap is probably born from an egg and eats throw up like a bird instead of milk hence no extra female parts
if you notice not even the male's have that usual upper body part.

About the GYMs I think they are kind of like fight clubs with an appointed leader who is the best amongst all the members. Then they have leagues with officials that measure and decide whether a Gym's leader is tough enough to pose a rigorous challenge for a trainer's qualifications. The way I see it they are just regular trainers with added responsibilities.
Gym Leaders = Fight Club. don't talk about fight club

Moving on, I think Gym leaders are appointed by themselves. then they join a union. name it the pokemon gym league, get an elite four, and then get challenged officially. The fighting dojo was good example of that.

How the hell did Sabrina become a gym leader? I've always pondered that.

There's only one Sabrina. They're talking about how she could have gotten the position if she turns people into dolls, which she did on the show.

But given that one of the Kanto GLs is a criminal overlord and another is a horny teenager, I don't think they look too deeply into personal lives.

Why does it really matter what kind of person the gym leader is? As long as he/she is proefficent with Pokémon to the point that they become the champ of their local town or city, that's really all that matters.

Please note: The thread is from 14 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom