• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Unused folklore and mythology in Pokémon

Reaction score
The Pokédex is absolutely packed with references to real-world mythology, legends, folklore and literary creations, from Leviathans to Loch Ness Monsters. However, human imagination runs deep, so there's still thousands of fantastical beasts out there who are ripe for reimagining in the Pokémon world! Which ones would you like to see, and what might their typings be?

As a lover of poetry, nonsense, and nonsense poetry, I'd love to see a species inspired by Lewis Carroll's Jabberwock. Though Dragapult was well-received, I was always a little miffed that the Galarian pseudo-legendary was inspired by US military hardware as opposed to something more 'domestic', and a Dragon/Fairy Jabberwock (Brilligon? Vorpalous? Slyvern?) could fit that bill perfectly.

They've incorporated elements of it in certain Pokemon/media but I would love to see them explore some of the less common aspects of Middle Eastern and Islamic mythology. Some of the occult entities like shaytan and ghaddar would be super creepy to see as ghost or dark types. The different classes of jinn (outside of the generic genie-motif) would be soooo cool to see.

Last edited:
Just a few I have off the top of my head.
  • Wyvern (Poison/Flying) [Noivern doesn't count]
  • Nuckelavee (Dark type)
  • Barghest (Fire/Ghost type)
  • Ghouls (Ghost type)
  • Horus (Flying/Psychic type)
  • Bakeneko (Psychic/Normal type)
  • Green Man (A Grass/Ground Regional form of Golurk)
  • Ogres (Dark/Fighting)

I think a wendigo-like creature might be cool. Maybe the typing could be Ghost/Dark and Ice? I'd love to wander a forest and see a bunch of tall deer-headed Pokemon just staring back at me through the trees. :wynaut:

I know Giratina is already sort of based on one shapewise, but I'd like to see a basilisk or cockatrice Pokemon that borrowed more from that creature beyond vaguely looking like one. I'd also like to see a pegasus, maybe as a pure Flying-type regional variant of the Ponyta or Mudbray lines, but it can also be its own thing. Also seconding the Quetzalcoatl @Kung Fu Ferret mentioned, though ideally that one should be a Boxart Legendary.

I would be really curious to see Pokémon's take on the Kamaitachi, maybe a Flying/Steel type Mustelid that becomes more bipedal as it evolves in the vein of Obstagoon? :unsure:
Technically this already exists in the Sneasel line, but it might be interesting to see the concept revisited.

Technically this already exists in the Sneasel line, but it might be interesting to see the concept revisited.
I completely forgot about Sneasel, though for good reason as it's another victim of a phenomenon I like to call "Lost in Conception" that occurred early in Pokémon games whereby the likely "base" of a Pokémon's design gets mashed together with so many other concepts that the base becomes near unrecognisable in the final design - this is especially the case in Sneasel's evolution of Weavile where it resembles more an Egyptian deity styled cat with the headdress, collar, and earrings. Also despite being supposedly based on a Kamaitachi, the fact that Sneasel cannot learn the move Razor Wind whose Japanese name is literally just the name of the yōkai in question is a tragic oversight.

But that's not to say that the concept cannot be revisited as you said, the Kamaitachi although traditionally depicted as a weasel in pop culture is a varied legend with multiple forms in different regions of Japan. Aside from weasels, they have also been foxes, insects or even the very sickles themselves that have turned into yōkai by being possessed by spirits (not dissimilar to Klefki), therefore I could definitely see them returning to the idea if we ever have another Japan based Region - maybe a Johto based Legends: Ho-oh? :unsure:

They've incorporated elements of it in certain Pokemon/media but I would love to see them explore some of the less common aspects of Middle Eastern and Islamic mythology. Some of the occult entities like shaytan and ghaddar would be super creepy to see as ghost or dark types. The different classes of jinn (outside of the generic genie-motif) would be soooo cool to see.
Adding onto this because I have some free space for the first time in weeks lol:
  • Rukh, or the iconic legendary bird of Arabian mythology. It's supposed ot be huge an sought after explorers and hunters. Pokemon-wise. I could see an obvious legendary being a tribute to this. Either that, or a flying type Wailord.
  • Falak, or the giant serpents found underneath the bahamut that holds up the structure that supports the earth. I just feel like we can always have more serpent Pokemon lol.
  • Hatif, which is fairly unique. Less of a creature and more of a power, Arabian mythology cites jinn as using hatif to curse murderers and others that bring plague upon communities. Hatif roughly translates to "the voice" and could be a cool use of a psychological terror being transformed into something else. maybe a ghost or dark type that specializes in sound-based attacks?
  • Karkadaan, or the lord of the desert, is basically a plains-rhinoceros that guards land and has medicinal properties. I could see a grass/ground Ryhorn regional form or original creature being inspired by this.
  • Werehyenas, which I think we may have to an extent already? They're exactly how they sound; humans that can transform into hyena-like creatures. I personally heard about these as a child growing up in Palestine as it's a pretty common myth in the Levant and used as a cautionary story for kids not play in dangerous areas at night.
  • Aras, (I think it's also known as something else?) which is like a unicorn that shoots wind out of it's hollow horn made of wood. A grass/flying type maybe?
  • Qareen, which are essentially your spiritual double in a parallel dimension. I could totally see this being incorporated as part of an ability for a Pokemon. I wonder if Nincada's evolution into Ninjask and Shedinija could be a loose reference to this concept.
  • Literally all the classes of jinn and associated spirits. There are so many subcategories of creatures, both malevolent and good, that are featured in Middle Eastern, Arabian, and Islamic literature and mythology. You could probably make an entire monster-collecting video game off of jinn alone. Wait-

Please note: The thread is from 3 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom