• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Unused Pokémon design revealed in magazine interview: Cloned sheep considered for Pok

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Unused Pokémon design revealed in magazine interview: Cloned sheep considered for

(Unova may be based on New York City, but where did the big ass desert in the middle come from?)

9/11, which in the Pokemon universe, was caused by a meteor falling from space, not terrorists. I'm not joking, that's the actual explanation.

Re: Unused Pokémon design revealed in magazine interview: Cloned sheep considered for

9/11, which in the Pokemon universe, was caused by a meteor falling from space, not terrorists. I'm not joking, that's the actual explanation.

So Reshiram, Zekrom & Kyurem are public enemy #1?

When they said a design was revealed I was hoping for a picture. And a cloned sheep pokemon would have been way better than the 47th cat pokemon or another pair of pokemon that are exactly like rattata and pidgey.
People need to stop not doing things because they're controversial. That's the stupidest reason not to do something. Especially when the issue is cloning. Thats a bit of an out of date issue.

PDL said:
Later generations seemed to base their other regions on other real locations, but add their own things. (Unova may be based on New York City, but where did the big ass desert in the middle come from?)

The same place that desert in Houen (aka real world Kyushu) comes from?

Game Freak has always fudged around with the geography of whatever region they're working with to suit their needs. This is nothing new.

So...instead of a cloned sheep we got mareep?

So...instead of a cloned sheep we got mareep?

Emerald Cloning glitch
clone mareep
name it dolly.

:B

But I digress.

Also, the mew/mewtwo people, the rejected sheep pokemon has NOTHING to do with them. Mew was the first Pokemon ever trademarked, 6 years before the game was released. And Dolly was not born until 5 months after Pokemon Red and Green were released. So the earliest generation this rejected clone sheep Pokemon could've been would be Gen II and...

Oh crap, Emboar might be right about Mareep. But it could've still been Gen III, IV or even this one.

So instead of having a clone sheep, they gave us a cloned and genetically engineered cat.

I think we got the better deal in the end.

Bug Catcher Wade said:
When they said a design was revealed I was hoping for a picture. And a cloned sheep pokemon would have been way better than the 47th cat pokemon or another pair of pokemon that are exactly like rattata and pidgey.

._. Right, because there's only one type of cat and rodent in the real world, so it must be so in the Pokemon World, amirite?

Bug Catcher Wade said:
People need to stop not doing things because they're controversial. That's the stupidest reason not to do something. Especially when the issue is cloning. Thats a bit of an out of date issue.

And also, they played it safe. If they had released a Dolly-sheep Pokemon in RBY or GS (around that time was when she was cloned, yes? My memory is foggy on the subject), there'd be a LOT of controversy, not unlike the muck started with poor Jynx. No pun intended.

And if there was such controversy, we might not have ever seen better Pokemon games released. Which would be awful. D8 As they say, better safe than sorry.

Last edited:

It makes me sad that we only almost had another sheep Pokémon species. The comedy factor in seeing people call it a "rip-off" of Mareep would have been so hilarious. Maybe someday, in a future game, they will use the design.

Ditto always did remind me of a smiley face, now I know it's intentional.

Why is the external link throwing me onto a page trying to sell me the magazine? If the interview is there, there must be area restrictions or something (and the link should be fixed if possible), if it isn't, the link is unnecessary.

It's interesting to read about such concepts though.

I thought that scientists are still having problems with the life-spans of cloned animals as they grow much faster than their sample animals and die quickly?

I don't know what I would think about A Clone Sheep Pokémon?
Probably would be cool though.....

Does anyone have a link to the actual interview ?

Cloned sheep, huh? I would love to see what the final product is like. I have a feeling that Doduo to Dodrio is some form of cloning because the Pokemon have an extra head. Perhaps Ditto was made as a result of the concept of cloning? It would be interesting if cloning allows the new Pokemon to possess slightly corrupted base stats in competitive battling, but maybe I am wishing too far.

Thanks for reading.

I thought that scientists are still having problems with the life-spans of cloned animals as they grow much faster than their sample animals and die quickly?
There was no evidence to suggest that Dolly died an early death due to it being cloned. The disease Dolly died of (lung cancer) was common in sheep that slept indoors, which Dolly had to, due to security.

it seems to me that if Masuda themed Isshu as "no borders... Pokémon and people together," he kinda did that with HGSS and walking around with a partner pokemon - and way back in 2nd Gen by going to another region and not being "region locked" to just Johto.

How is anything in B/W following his philosophy?

For a series with "evolution" and numerous references to other cultures and religions in their Pokémon design, a technologically enhanced superbug, a genetically-engineered kitten and reviving fossils (which seemed to imply they were already cloning >_>) you'd think a sheep wouldn't be that bad.

Though I guess this is evidence toward the point that Silktree's been arguing that Mewtwo in the games was never actually cloned but was a heavily altered Mew fetus since they refused this Pokémon, but really, genetic engineering to make a vicious super warrior is better how?

What I don't get though is how they'd make a normal clone its own species, I mean they could just get a Mareep, distribute an event over WiFi and call it Dolly.

Sounds a bit dull of a concept to really put on paper. Wonder if maybe Genesect took its place or if it was meant to run around in high grass...

I know what you'd all say if it read: "we had this idea of a cotton sheep."
Nevermind, Whimsicott. You can go back to your corner of unappreciation. :-/

For a series with "evolution" and numerous references to other cultures and religions in their Pokémon design, a technologically enhanced superbug, a genetically-engineered kitten and reviving fossils (which seemed to imply they were already cloning >_>) you'd think a sheep wouldn't be that bad.

Though I guess this is evidence toward the point that Silktree's been arguing that Mewtwo in the games was never actually cloned but was a heavily altered Mew fetus since they refused this Pokémon, but really, genetic engineering to make a vicious super warrior is better how?

What I don't get though is how they'd make a normal clone its own species, I mean they could just get a Mareep, distribute an event over WiFi and call it Dolly.

They could make sure the Wi-fi Mareep had 1 HP IV...

So Ditto was based on emoticons? Interesting, I always assumed that Ditto, Kirby, and Majin Buu must have been based on the same thing since they're all pink and can copy their enemies' abilities.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom