• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Unused Pokémon design revealed in magazine interview: Cloned sheep considered for Pok

Status
Not open for further replies.

BulbaBot

Dreams of electric Bulbasaur
Reaction score
Unused Pokémon design revealed in magazine interview: Cloned sheep considered for Pokémon, ...

A recent interview in @Gamer magazine with Junichi Masuda and Ken Sugimori, directors of development and art respectively at Game Freak, has revealed some information on the development on the Pokémon series. One major point in this interview was that of a rejected Pokémon design, based off of the first cloned sheep, but it was deemed to be "too controversial." Another speck of information revealed in the interview is that Ditto was based off of the iconic yellow smiley face, despite its natural purple appearance; the two consider the blob to be the weirdest Pokémon.

Read more on Bulbanews

Re: Unused Pokémon design revealed in magazine interview: Cloned sheep considered for

A Cloned Sheep pokemon would have been cool :(

Re: Unused Pokémon design revealed in magazine interview: Cloned sheep considered for

A cloned sheep really doesn't seem that controversial now, but I guess it was back during the 90s...I was kind of hoping for a picture though when I came into this thread. :(

I wonder if perhaps Mew and Mewtwo were perhaps these "sheep" Pokemon originally, but they changed them to cats in order to avoid the obvious link to Dolly? I can easily see Mew being a sheep-like creature, and Mewtwo being some freaky jacked-up ram...I actually think I'd prefer that to cats, to be honest.

Of course, they'd then be called...Ewe and Ewetwo...

I don't see why that would be controversial...

I wonder if perhaps Mew and Mewtwo were perhaps these "sheep" Pokemon originally, but they changed them to cats in order to avoid the obvious link to Dolly? I can easily see Mew being a sheep-like creature, and Mewtwo being some freaky jacked-up ram...I actually think I'd prefer that to cats, to be honest.

No wonder why the first gen sprites of them looked so... well...

I don't see why that would be controversial...

The cloning of the sheep was, and still very much is, controversial.

Although, thinking of this, I guess then it makes sense that a cloning glitch happens almost every generation. :p

its Science Vs Religion All Over again
you know, Pokémon still suffers somewhat of a weird look for scarce Religious Persons, a cloned sheep woould have intensified it, they're playing it safe...

But i would have liked it :(

Religious people hated Pokemon enough when in its early years. If they had used Dolly the Sheep the uproar would have been tremendous. I'm glad they didn't use it. If they had we might all be on a different forum.

I'm curious on how the Dolly Sheep Pokemon would of looked like and played out if the whole design idea was used, but I understand why they didn't want to risk doing something like this.

I imagine some wacky looking sheep with two heads, but perhaps they may have planned to go with a more quirky design and would've created a sheep with mastery of the Kage no Bushin?

At least, that's what I would do. :0

I'm curious as to why Dolly the sheep is controversial but Mewtwo and the entire first movie revolved around the topic.
The Game Freak heads also revealed that Pokémon Black and White Versions were geared to look different from other Pokémon games, while retaining the prominent connectivity feature that sparked interest the Pokémon series for many early players. Masuda specifically mentioned that he dreamed up the concept of a world with "no borders... Pokémon and people together," during a trip to the United Nations building in New York City, the basis of the Unova region.

I suppose this is why it's still called the National Dex, there's no countries in Pokemon, so it would be impossible to have an InternationalDex.

Wow... A Pokemon based on Dolly the sheep? I would have loved to see that. And Ditto being based on a smiley face is cool too.

I'm curious as to why Dolly the sheep is controversial but Mewtwo and the entire first movie revolved around the topic.

Yeah, that is strange - I guess they figured a completely fictional example would be less controversial that one partially based on real life.

I expect fan sprites/art of this rejected Pokemon to show up any time now...

Do any of you even realize why Dolly was such a scientific breakthrough in the first place?

Scientists have been cloning animals for years before Dolly, since the 70s I believe. Dolly was special because the genetic material they got from her "clone mother" wasn't from an egg cell, but from a normal fully adult cell. Scientists thought it was impossible to clone an animal without an egg cell specifically.

Makes you think about what other concepts have been rejected or put on hold for later Generations. I wonder what it would have looked like.
Ohmygosh win. =D

Do any of you even realize why Dolly was such a scientific breakthrough in the first place?

Scientists have been cloning animals for years before Dolly, since the 70s I believe. Dolly was special because the genetic material they got from her "clone mother" wasn't from an egg cell, but from a normal fully adult cell. Scientists thought it was impossible to clone an animal without an egg cell specifically.

I knew it was from a mammary cell, but I thought she was significant just for being the first large mammal to be cloned. Thanks for clearing that up.

I can imagine the battle now...
Go, Cloneep! Cloneep used Short Life Span! All opponent's Pokemon's health was halved!

Maybe it wouldn't be exactly like that...

That Pokemon would have been so EPIC!
Too bad they didn't use it... :-(

I suppose this is why it's still called the National Dex, there's no countries in Pokemon, so it would be impossible to have an InternationalDex.

The Lightning American and several dex entries beg to differ.

Anyway, I'm also wondering how that would have been any more controversial than the cloning they DID have. People were already mad about it (although frankly the WHY of that escapes me entirely). I can't imagine them being any madder if it was a sheep instead of a cat.

Also, I really wish there were pictures of these.

The Lightning American and several dex entries beg to differ.

It's kinda obvious that the franchise as a whole had being going through an Earth Drift. There are way more references to the real world in earlier installments then in later ones.

While it's obvious to Japanese people that the land Pokémon!Kanto was based on is well, the real Kanto prefecture, it's not as obvious to those unfamiliar to Japan's geography. Later generations seemed to base their other regions on other real locations, but add their own things. (Unova may be based on New York City, but where did the big ass desert in the middle come from?)

I understand the controversy about Dolly (I remember being "against" simply because my mom was, but long story), so smart move on their part to not go with the idea. We all have Mewtwo to make up for it, right?

Makes you think about what other concepts have been rejected or put on hold for later Generations. I wonder what it would have looked like.
Well, we know that's what happened with Shellos...they couldn't add in both forms in Gen III (although that doesn't seem difficult), so it was moved to Gen IV, and if you believe that the Gen 1 Picnicker referred to Munna, it may be as well, since I remember an interview with the designers mentioning it had been kind of just there until they decided to create the Dream World, in which they then turned Munna and Musharna into their mascot.

Also, someone once (SailorClef, maybe?) showed me a picture of an old prototype Pokemon that he believed to be an early version of Sewaddle, but I think it was an early version of Nincada instead...it was a ninja-style bug with a similar body shape.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom