• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Upcoming Gym Battles thread

pokepal_123

Reaction score
I noticed that there isn't a place to discuss future gym battles, so I'll create one now.

My predictions for the upcoming gym battles:
Ash vs Ramos
Jumpluff vs Fletchinder
Fletchinder vs Weepinbell
Weepinbell vs Hawlucha
Frogadier vs Weepinbell
Frogadier vs Gogoat

Ash vs Clemont
Pikachu vs Bunnelby(obvious)
Sligoo/Goodra vs Heliolisk
Hawlucha vs Heliolisk
Hawlucha vs Luxray
Pikachu vs Luxray( Pikachu has never defeated a Luxray before so he will this time similar to Lucario)

Ash vs Valerie(1st try)
3v3
Fletchinder vs Mawile
Fletchindervs Sylveon
Frogadier vs Sylveon(Draw)
Pikachu vs Spritzee

Ash vs Valerie(rematch)
3v3
Fletchinder vs Mawile
Pikachu vs Mawile
Pikachu vs Sylveon
Pikachu vs Aromatassie
Goodra/Pikachu vs Aromatassie

Ash vs Olympia
Double Battle
Pikachu/Fletchinder vs Mewostic duo

4v4
Frogadier vs Aurorus- Frogadier
Fletchinder vs Abomasnow-Flethcinder
Frogadier vs Cryoganal-Cryognal
Hawlucha vs Cryognal- Hawlucha
Hawlucha vs Avalugg- Avalugg
Fletchinder vs Avalugg-Avalugg
Pikachu vs Avalugg-Pikachu

NOTE: From now onwards I will only watch the gym battles and not follow the rest of the saga.(since its pretty boring)

Last edited:
Ash vs Valerie
3v3
Pikachu vs Mr.Mime
Pikachu vs Sylveon
Frogadier vs Sylveon(revenge for last time)
Frogadier vs Aromatassie
Goodra vs Aromatassie

Valerie has a Spritzee though, not an Aromatisse...
Well her Spritzee will most likely evolve prior to the gym match though(or during it, similar to Fantina's Drifloon) since I can't see Sprtizee being her actual main for the match.

Ash vs Valerie
3v3
Pikachu vs Mr.Mime
Pikachu vs Sylveon
Frogadier vs Aromatassie
Goodra vs Aromatassie

Well her Spritzee will most likely evolve prior to the gym match though(or during it, similar to Fantina's Drifloon) since I can't see Sprtizee being her actual main for the match.

Grant's main Pokemon was Tyrunt, so why can't Valery use Spritzee and not have it evolve? Plus, why would the preview show off Spritzee and not Aromatisse? It's not like the Opening didn't spoil other things.

Last edited:
Ash vs Valerie
3v3
Pikachu vs Mr.Mime
Pikachu vs Sylveon
Frogadier vs Aromatassie
Goodra vs Aromatassie

Grant's main Pokemon was Tyrunt, so why can't Valery use Spritzee and not have it evolve? Plus, why would the preview show off Spritzee and not Aromatisse? It's not like the preview didn't spoil other things.
Why would a Spritzee be her ace at a 6th gym when it is an unevolved Pokémon. Plus you can't use the Grant example as he uses Tyrunt in the games and that was only the second gym.

Plus couldn't it be Spritzee the first time he battles her and then evolve for the re-match. Why would they spoil the whole scenario now.

Why would a Spritzee be her ace at a 6th gym when it is an unevolved Pokémon.

Tyrunt is an unevolved Pokemon. Plus, what about Clemont's Bunnelby? Clemont in X and Y didn't use a Bunnelby, so does that mean that it should evolve for his Gym Battle against Ash?

Plus you can't use the Grant example as he uses Tyrunt in the games and that was only the second gym.

So why does that mean that Aromatisse should be used instead of Swirlix?

Plus couldn't it be Spritzee the first time he battles her and then evolve for the re-match. Why would they spoil the whole scenario now.

Well, they've spoiled other future events, like the Pokemon that Valerie and Olympia will use. Also, if they can tell us what Olympia is going to be using, then they should also know what Pokemon Valerie will be using, since Valerie's Gym is before Olympia's. Now, with that in mind, why wouldn't they show us the Pokemon that Valerie will use in the match, where Ash receives the Fairy Badge.

Yeah, I think her main will be Sylveon or Mawile, this is the 6th gym and it won't be that easy for Ash imo. Tyrunt on the other hand even if unevolved looks kinda threatening so it was a good fit for a gym just like Cranidos was for Roark.

Since Valerie has a Spritzee, the real question is what Pokémon is being replaced. It could be Mr. Mime, but then again the COTD in DP159 used one against Ash. It could also be Sylveon, since Spritzee is more or less representing Gen VI here and (except for Clemont) not more than one Gen VI pokemon species has been used by a Kalos Gym Leader yet.

As for the Ash and Clemont battle, I think Heliolisk will go second and Luxio will go third. Luxio has been established as Clemont's signature Pokémon in the anime, whereas Heliolisk is just a throwaway Pokémon for this gym. I also think Luxio will evolve during this battle, as this sometimes happens for their Pokémon whenever Ash battles close friends in the anime.

And with a possibility of Goomy evolving in XY061 and Sliggoo evolving in XY065, Ash's Dragon-type may be a Goodra during this battle.

As for the Olympia battle, I can't say for certain, but I do believe Pikachu will be used here. Ash may catch the last member of his Kalos team by the time he reaches Anistar City, and he may use that Pokémon too.

Last edited:
I think that Helioptile will be the last Pokemon used by Clemont, because it is also his main Pokemon in the games, is from the Kalos region and the writers can make it very powerful without having storyline issues.

Weren't Hawlucha and Froakie preparing a double battle strategy in the Trevenant episode? They are probably the chosen for Olympia's gym then. I don't think we will have Greninja there, due to the writers probably giving priority to Talonflame and Ash's sixth Pokemon, but Frogadier will get a dark-type move to make up for it.

I got my predictions for the Wulfric battle now and I think it will be a 4v4 as it is the final gym match.

Flecthinder vs Aurorus(since Grant didn't use its pre-evolved form)-Fletchinder gets switched out mid-battle due to the fact that Aurorus is part-rock type.
Frogadier vs Aurorus- Frogadier
Fletchinder vs Abomasnow-Flethcinder
Frogadier vs Cryoganal-Cryognal
Hawlucha vs Cryognal- Hawlucha
Hawlucha vs Avalugg- Avalugg
Fletchinder vs Avalugg-Avalugg
Pikachu vs Avalugg-Pikachu

Not too sure on Ash vs. Wulfric being 4-on-4. The only gym battle run under those conditions (if I remember correctly) was Ash vs. Candice, and it was only because her DP in-game team had four Pokémon.

Wulfric has three Pokémon in the games, so he will likely have three in the anime. And it will most likely be the three we see on that team.

As for Ash's Pokémon, I can see him using Pikachu (or Greninja, if the writers intend on evolving Frogadier to that stage) as his last. In Johto and Sinnoh, Ash used a fully evolved starter to win his final gym battle. In the other three regions, Ash used Pikachu instead.

I am less confident on the other choice(s), but Fletchinder-Talonflame is the most likely to be used only because of the significant type advantage it has in that gym.

Not too sure on Ash vs. Wulfric being 4-on-4. The only gym battle run under those conditions (if I remember correctly) was Ash vs. Candice, and it was only because her DP in-game team had four Pokémon.

Wulfric has three Pokémon in the games, so he will likely have three in the anime. And it will most likely be the three we see on that team.

As for Ash's Pokémon, I can see him using Pikachu (or Greninja, if the writers intend on evolving Frogadier to that stage) as his last. In Johto and Sinnoh, Ash used a fully evolved starter to win his final gym battle. In the other three regions, Ash used Pikachu instead.

I am less confident on the other choice(s), but Fletchinder-Talonflame is the most likely to be used only because of the significant type advantage it has in that gym.
I think that the final battle will be a 4v4 to give each of Ash's other Pokémon a win as some(such as Hawlucha)are most likely going to miss out on the next few gyms. Plus he also has to use the starter and the obvious Pikachu too so the writers have less choice here.

Grant's main Pokemon was Tyrunt, so why can't Valery use Spritzee and not have it evolve? Plus, why would the preview show off Spritzee and not Aromatisse? It's not like the Opening didn't spoil other things.

Let's think logically.

If Valerie ends up showing up like 10-15 episodes before her gym battle, or even 5-10 episodes, why would the opening introduce her with an Aromatisse if she is introduced within the anime with a Spritzee.

Ash vs Clemont
Hawlucha vs Luxray
Pikachu vs Luxray( Pikachu has never defeated a Luxray before so he will this time similar to Lucario)
Sliggoo vs Heliolisk
Pikachu vs Heliolisk( because 1st Pokémon vs 1st Pokémon battle)

I very, very, much doubt that Pikachu will sweep Clemont's ENTIRE team (of a 3 on 3) with no other Pokemon getting a win.

As far as I'm aware that has NEVER happened, and the closest we ever got was Ash's battle against Mandi which was in the First League and not a gym battle and that was with Krabby/Kingler.

I don't count 2 vs 2, so Viola doesn't count in my opinion, since it was only two Pokemon and Pokemon have beaten 2 Pokemon before.

Edit: My predictions of what I want

vs Clemont

Pikachu vs Bunnelby (Pikachu winning and recalled)
Heliolisk vs Hawlucha (Hawlucha wins)
Luxray vs Hawlucha (Luxray wins)
Luxray vs Pikachu (Luxray wins)
Luxray vs Goodra (Goodra wins)

vs Valerie

Mawhile vs Fletchinder (Fletchinder wins)
Fletchinder vs Spritzee/Aromatisse (Valerie's Pokemon wins)
Goodra vs Valerie's Pokemon (Goodra wins)
Goodra vs Slyveon (Slyveon)
Pikachu vs Slyveon (Pikachu wins, and your damn lucky I'm giving you this win as well).

vs Olympia (four on four double battle)

Sigilyph and Slowking vs Pikachu and Ash's 6th Pokemon (Ash's Pokemon)
Meowstic duo vs Ash's team (Meowstic duo)
Hawlucha and Greninja vs Meowstic duo (Hawlucha and Greninja)

vs Wulfric (Four on four)

1st choice
Ash's 6th Pokemon vs Bergmite (Bergmite wins)
Goodra vs Bergmite (Goodra wins)
Goodra vs Cryogonal (Goodra wins)
Goodra vs Abomasnow (Abomasnow wins)
Hawlucha vs Abomasnow (Hawlucha wins)
Hawlucha vs Avalugg (Avalugg wins)
Talonflame vs Avalugg (Talonflame wins)

Likelier to happen choice

Ash's 6th Pokemon vs Bergmite (Bergmite wins)
Talonflame vs Bergmite (Talonflame wins)
Hawlucha vs Cryogonal (Draw)
Talonflame vs Abomasnow (Talonflame wins)
Talonflame vs Avalugg (Avalugg wins)
Goodra vs Avalugg (Goodra wins)

Now these will be changed and edited later when new information approaches.

Last edited:
Ash vs Clemont
Hawlucha vs Luxray
Sliggoo vs Heliolisk
Pikachu vs Heliolisk( because 1st Pokémon vs 1st Pokémon battle)

I very, very, much doubt that Pikachu will sweep Clemont's ENTIRE team (of a 3 on 3) with no other Pokemon getting a win.

As far as I'm aware that has NEVER happened, and the closest we ever got was Ash's battle against Mandi which was in the First League and not a gym battle and that was with Krabby/Kingler.

I don't count 2 vs 2, so Viola doesn't count in my opinion, since it was only two Pokemon and Pokemon have beaten 2 Pokemon before.

Edit: My predictions of what I want
Well considering that XY is pretty much the Pikachu show don't be surprised if Pikachu sweeps Clemont's entire team to show the "bond" between Ahs and Pikachu and that sort of crap that the writers will pull off.

Well I will also do predictions of how I want each gym battle to be written:

This is how I would have written the Lumiose Gym(if I were the writers)
Pikachu vs Bunnelby- Pikachu
Hawlucha vs Luxray- Luxray
Pikachu vs Luxray- Pikachu
Pikachu vs Heliolisk- Heliolisk
Goodra vs Heliolisk- Goodra

Now for the Valerie Battle:
4v3(inexperience with Fairy Types)
Fletchinder vs Mawlile- Fletchinder
Pikachu vs Sylveon- Sylveon
Frogadier vs Sylveon- Frogadier
Frogadier vs Aromatassie- Aromatassie
Goodra vs Aromatassie- Aromatassie
Flethcinder vs Aromatassie- Fletchinder

Anistar Battle:
Double 4v4
Goodra/6th mon vs Slowbro/Slowking
Hawlucha/Frogadier vs Mewostic duo

Wulfirc Battle:
3v4(new challenge)
Hawlucha vs Cryoganal- Hawlcuha
Greninja vs Aurours- Greninja
Hawlucha vs Abomasnow- Abomasnow
Talonflame vs Abomasnow- Talonflame
Greninja vs Avalugg- Avalugg
Talonflame vs Avalugg- Talonflame

Last edited:
Here are my hopes for the upcoming battles.

Ramos
Fletchinder vs. Jumpluff-Fletchinder (Switch out afterwards)
Hawlucha vs. Weepinbell-Weepinbell
Fletchinder vs. Weepinbell-Fletchinder
Fletchinder vs. Gogoat-Gogoat
Frogadier vs. Gogoat-Frogadier

Clemont
Pikachu vs. Bunnelby-Bunnelby
Hawlucha vs. Bunnelby-Hawlucha
Hawlucha vs. Luxray-Luxray
Sligoo vs. Luxray-Sligoo
Sligoo vs. Heliolisk-Double K.O.

(If not like this, I still hope the match ends up being a tie.)

Yonemura Shouji wrote this upcoming fourth gym battle. He wrote Satoshi's battle with Kenyan during the Isshu League, so he knows how to write good fights.

Yonemura Shouji wrote this upcoming fourth gym battle. He wrote Satoshi's battle with Kenyan during the Isshu League, so he knows how to write good fights.
Yeah, that's probably one of the reasons why Pikachu wasn't used in the battle.

No, the script writers are not the highest authority on the series. They write the scripts based on the story crafted by the series organizer/head writer (Tomioka Atsuhiro) and series organizer (Yajima Tetsuo). Tomioka answers to Yajima, Yajima answers to Yuyama and the producers.

No, the script writers are not the highest authority on the series. They write the scripts based on the story crafted by the series organizer/head writer (Tomioka Atsuhiro) and series organizer (Yajima Tetsuo). Tomioka answers to Yajima, Yajima answers to Yuyama and the producers.
The question is why can't the battles in the main anime be more like the battles in Mega Shinka specials.

Last edited:

The question is why can't the battles in the main anime be more like the battles in Mega Shinka specials.

The Mega Evolution specials have a good key animator and slightly higher budget. The Mega Evolution specials are written by Tomioka Atsuhiro, who wrote Satoshi's fights with Shinji, although I would contend those Mega Evolution battles are not anywhere near Tomioka's best. We know Yonemura and the others can write good battles, like they did in Diamond & Pearl. Why can't the battles always be good? Either Yuyama and Yajima don't want to (not so likely, given these guys are actually creative-types) or their superiors want the battles simple and stupid. It's worth noting that after Tomioka wrote over sixty episodes of Diamond & Pearl he wrote few of Best Wishes, almost none of which were important.

Please note: The thread is from 8 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom