• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Upcoming Gym Battles thread

I think Noibat/Noivern may pull a Snorunt: battle in the final gym and lose but being a beast at the league just like Glalie.

Can anyone think of a time Ash has used a Pokemon doubly weak to the gym leader?

It's one thing using your Frogadier with Aerial Ace agaist Ramos but I can't see him using Noivern against Wulfric...

EDIT: Actually, he used Gliscor against Candice, but I still thing this is down to Pikachu, Talonflame, Hawlucha or Greninja.

Predictions for the Snowbelle Gym Battle:

Wulfric rematches Serena. She uses all three Pokemon: Braixen, Pancham, and Eevee, and loses. Then, Wulfric rematches Clemont. Clemont uses all three Pokemon: Chespin, Bunnelby, and Luxray, and loses. Finally, Wulfric rematches Ash. Ash uses all three Pokemon: Greninja, Hawlucha, and Pikachu, and defeats Wulfric's last Pokemon with his Pikachu.

I fully expect to see Talonflame in this, expecially since there's the possibility of a Mega Abomasnow. It's his Fire type, for goodness sake. Talonflame is in the same position as Torterra against Volkner, it's the obvious choice for this battle regardless of how it performs.
As for his other choices...

Pikachu's got Iron Tail and could certainly run circles around Avalugg if needed. The guy has also beaten Regice, I'd say he's definitely a reasonable choice for this match.

Hawlucha's got the Fighting type and three moves of that type, and that Flying type certainly didn't cost him a match against Heliolisk. I could see him putting pressure on Cryogonal, but Avalugg's sheer physical bulk could stop him. There's still the Ice weakness to take into consideration as well...

Greninja resists Ice and is looking very good recently. That new form could easily come into play against any one of Wulfric's Pokémon, and the knowledge of Aerial Ace could give Abomasnow a touch of trouble.

I seriously can't see Noibat being used in this battle if it isn't 5v5. Gliscor was only used against Candice because of Fire Fang, Noibat has no such move at the present time. Supersonic won't help if Abomasnow and Avalugg have Soundproof and Own Tempo respectively, which is possible when we consider how much focus went into the abilities of Olympia's two Meowsitc, and I simple cannot see the new Tackle helping out here. Even if it's a Noivern at this point, there's better choices here.

At the very least, we should have Pikachu, Greninja, and Talonflame if Wulfric fully replicates his in-game team of Abomasnow, Cryogonal, and Avalugg.

vs Wulfric
what pokemon will he use?

Cryoganal, Aurorus, Abomasnow, Avalugg, Bearctic?

last gen we had a Cryoganal and Beartic already.

Abomasnow has a mega form, this could be interesting with Talonflame and others.
Avalugg is a muss and Aurorus would be great to counter Talonflame if Abomasnow is not enough to make a win or if a draw, becuse its fit in(its weak to water, fight and grass)

would like to see a 2 episode gym battle with full potential like with Juan in gen III.
(a double battle + 3vs3)

a double battle vs Jynx and Froslass.
(they where unused in Ice gyms in their generations in the anime)

We dont know It could hapen that Pikachu goes against Abomasnow and is taken down by it. We even dont know what 6 poke Ash will get and when.

Noibat could get Brick Break, Steel Wing, Draco Meteor, Heat Wave in battle.
They need to show how Soundproof works.

Last edited:
I wouldn't count Talonflame out in a battle against an Aurorus, to be honest, There's high speed and a 4x effective Steel Wing to factor in. Hawlucha and Pikachu also have 4x effective moves against it, namely Pikachu's Iron Tail and Hawlucha's entire movepool barring Flying Press and X-Scissor, of which Flying Press is 2x. Greninja also has the type advantage and we can assume that such a thing would be truly devastating with that new form up and running. Aurorus might be interesting but it'll have issues with all four of Ash's battle-worthy Pokémon.
Noibat's been neglected enough to the point where any sudden spurts of strength here would be ridiculous. Sorry, I expect it to perform just like Glalie did as a Snorunt against Juan if Ash even uses the little guy here. As in, poorly. With both Abomasnow and Avalugg also having acess to abilities which block Supersonic, I can't quite see Noibat holding up here.
Personally though, I'd want to see a return to the usual stuff. Only Viola and Ramos have completely used their in-game teams against Ash and I'm still a bit ticked off over a little Spritzee being Valerie's ace instead of Sylveon. That was a bit silly no matter what way you look at it.

Please note: The thread is from 8 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom