• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

[UPDATED!][New 300dpi Version][Progress: 80%] - Pokemon Green U.S.A Box Art (1998)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: [UPDATED!] - [Progress: 80%] - Pokemon Green U.S.A Box Art (1998)

Do you have any tips on how to get started? like how did you get the size right? i tried both measuring the object and creating a formula so the layout can be expanded to big sizes, but my trial file with 'The legend of zelda, links awakening' is still a bit small. And your comment on the file being very large makes me worried i'm doing something wrong.

Do you have any tips on how to get started? like how did you get the size right? i tried both measuring the object and creating a formula so the layout can be expanded to big sizes, but my trial file with 'The legend of zelda, links awakening' is still a bit small. And your comment on the file being very large makes me worried i'm doing something wrong.

My flat, unfolded box, at the correct scale did not fit on a standard 8.5"x11" piece of paper, the paper I believe was 8.5"x18" or something to that affect.

As for tips, your best option, based on my experience, would be to work on a 1:1 ratio. Example 5" in real life = 5" in your drawing. Its easier then trying to work with any conversions, and since it's unlikely that you'll ever print the box larger then real life, its unnecessary to make the image scale-able beyond 1:1.

I would also hope that your using a rather powerfull graphic editing software such as Photoshop, Illustrator, or even G.I.M.P. You'd be surprised how many people consider M$ Paint a powerful graphics tool.

Personally, I used Photoshop and simply adjusted my canvas until it would fit all the folds of the box on a single canvas, at a 1:1 ratio.

If you have any further questions, please feel free to ask. If you need any help I'd be glad to take a look at your document for you and help you with an adjustments you might need.

Thanks.

In terms of "authenticity", how far you now percentage wise?

My flat, unfolded box, at the correct scale did not fit on a standard 8.5"x11" piece of paper, the paper I believe was 8.5"x18" or something to that affect.

As for tips, your best option, based on my experience, would be to work on a 1:1 ratio. Example 5" in real life = 5" in your drawing. Its easier then trying to work with any conversions, and since it's unlikely that you'll ever print the box larger then real life, its unnecessary to make the image scale-able beyond 1:1.

I would also hope that your using a rather powerfull graphic editing software such as Photoshop, Illustrator, or even G.I.M.P. You'd be surprised how many people consider M$ Paint a powerful graphics tool.

Personally, I used Photoshop and simply adjusted my canvas until it would fit all the folds of the box on a single canvas, at a 1:1 ratio.

If you have any further questions, please feel free to ask. If you need any help I'd be glad to take a look at your document for you and help you with an adjustments you might need.

Thanks.

:) Thx for the tips, i am currently working with a 1:2 scale made with the actual box EU box size (not really sure if they are the same as US). I takes a lot of time to do everything just right, mostly because the EU box has a ton of text on it. But it think i did i pretty good job, is there any way i can send you the file? maybe you can give me some tips or compare it with your own work.

Btw did you realise the basics of these files can be used to make fantasy pokemon GB versions? Like Brown (psyduck) or Pink (ditto) versions :).

Thanks.

:) Thx for the tips, i am currently working with a 1:2 scale made with the actual box EU box size (not really sure if they are the same as US). I takes a lot of time to do everything just right, mostly because the EU box has a ton of text on it. But it think i did i pretty good job, is there any way i can send you the file? maybe you can give me some tips or compare it with your own work.

Btw did you realise the basics of these files can be used to make fantasy pokemon GB versions? Like Brown (psyduck) or Pink (ditto) versions :).

lol I am aware of that, but my only concern at the moment is my Pokemon Green. As for the EU vs US boxes, I believe they are the same size.

I will PM you my email address and perhaps you can send it over, I'd be glad to take a look, I assume it's .psd?

Progress update: March 24th 2013

So, I've finally begun working on the 300DPI version, seriously, for real this time. And so far so good, I've had to recreate a few pieces of artwork so far but all is looking well. I was even able to blow up the Venusaur photo without a whole lot of distortion.

I'm probably only about 15% complete the new 300DPI version, but the difference in quality makes up for the extra amount of work.

Below is a small teaser of the newer high quality version. This is at 100% zoom (Native size)

*Note that all the extra black/blue lines will be removed once the artwork is done.

Full size here: http://img13.imageshack.us/img13/6758/green300dpisample.png
green300dpisample.png

Below is a comparison shot of the old box and the new box art. Each file is at 1:1 based on the DPI (72DPI vs 300DPI)

Full size here: http://img405.imageshack.us/img405/5497/green300dpisample2.png
green300dpisample2.png

Last edited:

This is seriously amazing. Where did you get that green cart? I'd love to have one to add to my gaming collection. If you're keen to send me one if I donate you some money that would be great!

Re: [UPDATED!][New 300dpi Version][Progress: 30%] - Pokemon Green U.S.A Box Art (1998

That actually looks great..

This is seriously amazing. Where did you get that green cart? I'd love to have one to add to my gaming collection. If you're keen to send me one if I donate you some money that would be great!

I actually made the green cartridge myself, label included. I posted a page or two back, the paint that I used to colour the cartridge.

I've never actually printed the label on adhesive paper yet and stuck it on, plus, if I remember correctly, there are a few minor adjustments that I need to do to the label design itself.

Once completed, the best I could do (for now) is send you an empty green shell, though, I haven't even decided if I'm going to sell these or not. I'm pretty sure I'm not even allowed.

We'll see what the future holds.

Sorry to bring up an older thread, but I just can't get over how awesome this is! I was curious too if the original poster or anyone else could tell me what type of material the box is printed on.

Odd, I just got an email notification that this is a new post, though it's dated from 2012!.

If this really is a new question, then the answer is as follows:

I never actually found what material would be best to print this on, I'm still looking for the most accurate to the original Nintendo paper as possible.

What I did was go to kinko/fedex or any other commercial printing place, and asked them to simply print it on the thickest card stock they had (Couldn't for the life of me remember what weight it was) Its almost like a very think Bristol board or something.

The biggest problem I faced with the material I chose, was folding it. I seems to have torn the edges and ruined the initial first print that I made.

Hope that answers your question.

Re: [56k warning] - Pokemon Green U.S.A Box Art (1999) *Not LeafGreen

ive been trying to get a green translated like that for a while... is there more in stock? if there is, could u msg me the URL?

ive been trying to get a green translated like that for a while... is there more in stock? if there is, could u msg me the URL?

There shouldn't be anywhere that you can order this (if that's what your trying to do) I'm the creator of this specific box, and there is only 1 in existence.

Sorry.

Update:

So, I've put some more work into the box art, to the point that the 300dpi version is nearing completion. However, I've been speaking with a buddy of mine, who's a graphic designer, and he was explaining to me that in order to get crisp clear properly printed text, I need to have Vectored text. Anyone who's used the adobe suite before will know, this can't be done in Photoshop. So, once I am done with the design in Photoshop, the document will be transferred over to Illustrator to have the text vectored.

Here is an updated screen cap, again, show's 300 vs 72 dpi (Note that the 300DPI version is only 16% zoomed):

pVd9Ye7.png

Full size:
pVd9Ye7.png

Pokemon Green Version - English
By level42

photo1hbj.jpg

Original Post: (July 21st 2011)

I've been playing with PhotoShop for the last few days and I've come up with this!

I've still got a lot of work to do, but this is my first printed prototype.

*It's small because my printer will not accept paper large enough (10"x20")
**The colors are slightly off because my printer is cheep
***The alignment is off and I will be fixing this in the future.

Anyways, here's what I've got so far.

img0472xz.jpg

img0474hn.jpg

img0475fu.jpg

img0476gj.jpg
The point? To print out an awesome proper one that would look amazing in my collection, on my shelf.
UPDATE: November 12th 2011

The current status of this project. Well, it has slowed down but is not dead. I've been tied up in a few other things including my MAME Arcade machine ;) Rest assured I hope to have this 100% completed, at some point.

Will I release the final artwork. I'm not sure yet, it depends on how I feel, on the day, and of the artwork.

I appreciate the community support and its basically what is driving me to finish this! (Keep encouraging me and we might see the 100% final sooner then later!)

Thanks again!!!

[UPDATE] - March 24th 2013

Work has begun on the new 300dpi version!
See here:
http://bmgf.bulbagarden.net/f237/up...box-art-1998-a-115151/index4.html#post4675148

All 5 items listed below have/will be addressed in the new 300dpi version, once completed.

ToDo list:

1. *This is a big one* Redo the all the text and low res parts with a new 300DPI version.
- This includes the Bar-code, Characters and Logos (Amusing I can find a higher res version, help is appreciated) ALL the typed text
2. Clean up the battle screenshot (If anyone wants to recreate the Sandshrew vs Meowth screen shot that would be AWESOM!)
3. Re-size and realign some things, logos, text characters.
4. Correct the game code on both the box and cartridge
- Box: DMG P APBA Cart: DMG-APBA-USA
5. Re-size the cartridge slot inside, original cut is way over sized.
6. More Soon.
What is the point of posting the picture with water mark Created by level 42... It's useless that way... Just to show off ... ???? Wait of space and time...

What is the point of posting the picture with water mark Created by level 42... It's useless that way... Just to show off ... ???? Wait of space and time...

People put watermarks on their work to make it useless to other people, so they don't steal it ;)

All in all, the creator of this hasn't logged in for about 3 years, so commenting on this is more a waste of space and time :p

Last edited:
People put watermarks on their work to make it useless to other people, so they don't steal it ;)

All in all, the creator of this hasn't logged in for about 3 years, so commenting on this is more a waste of space and time :p
I'm getting the feeling that he created an account just to say that.

Hi

Can you reapload the links of the pictures?
It seems fantastic job.

Best regards

Progress update: March 24th 2013

So, I've finally begun working on the 300DPI version, seriously, for real this time. And so far so good, I've had to recreate a few pieces of artwork so far but all is looking well. I was even able to blow up the Venusaur photo without a whole lot of distortion.

I'm probably only about 15% complete the new 300DPI version, but the difference in quality makes up for the extra amount of work.

Below is a small teaser of the newer high quality version. This is at 100% zoom (Native size)

*Note that all the extra black/blue lines will be removed once the artwork is done.

Full size here: http://img13.imageshack.us/img13/6758/green300dpisample.png
green300dpisample.png

Below is a comparison shot of the old box and the new box art. Each file is at 1:1 based on the DPI (72DPI vs 300DPI)

Full size here: http://img405.imageshack.us/img405/5497/green300dpisample2.png
green300dpisample2.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom