• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Updating Pokémon Disambiguations

What should we do with the redirects?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

evkl

Person-about-Bulba
Reaction score
To clear up some confusion about TTE's latest post, I've made a new post and new poll.

The basic issue at hand is whether we should keep the current disambiguation gateway structure for a large number of Pokemon pages--about 265, at last check. As of now, if you type in any of those 265 into the search bar, you are taken to that Pokemon--say, when you type in Metapod, you go to "Metapod."

The proposed change will take a "Metapod" search directly to the Metapod (Pokemon) page, instead of the current system, which as I said takes you right to a disambiguation page.

So the bigger question at issue is, do you support CHANGING THE REDIRECT to take you directly to PokeName (Pokemon), skipping the disambiguation, or LEAVING THE CURRENT SYSTEM IN PLACE and searching for PokeName and arriving at a PokeName disambiguation a significant portion of the time.

If we decide on the first, we will then evaluate the best way to make the change through another round of polls and discussion.

Re: Updating Pokemon Disambiguations

I'm for changing the redirect to take you directly to the Pokemon. This is because when I'm either searching for a Pokemon on Google or on the Pedia itself, I want to get to that Pokemon's page right away (not the disambig page)

This is because I'm usually looking for something on the Pokemon's main page. A speed stat for an online battle or checking to see if it can learn a certain move. The disambig page is just an annoyance IMO.

For those of you saying "It's just an extra click, it's not that big of a deal." That's not what this is about. It's about the necessity of such a system, when not all Pokémon have a disambiguation and any information held within such a page is already in the article itself.

Thank you for clearing this up, I apologize for my comments in the other thread, I didn't understand fully.

I think it should be changed then; though I'm happy with Bulbapedia as it is. As any other articles on specific Pokémon (from the anime or TCG for exmaple) will still be linked in the Pokémon's primary article.

While it may be minute, it'll also help out with the inevitable slow downs sure to be caused by the North American and European releases of Black & White, too.

Last edited:

I think it should be changed so that the Pokémon name redirect goes straight to the main species page. Also, put disambig link on the top of the page, and anything notable enough gets a direct link. OK?

I think it should be changed so that the Pokémon name redirect goes straight to the main species page. Also, put disambig link on the top of the page, and anything notable enough gets a direct link. OK?

For the most part this is the idea that's been thrown around, just a simple "this is the page for the species Blaziken. For other uses of Blaziken, click here". The idea of linking directly to especially notable pages is a new one, and while it might be hard to fit, I could see a use or two for it. A Pokémon like Pikachu will probably keep its regular disambiguation, simply because it's the one major instance were searching for "Pikachu" is just as likely to mean Pikachu the species as it is to mean Pikachu the Pikachu.

I'm for changing the redirect to take you directly to the Pokemon. This is because when I'm either searching for a Pokemon on Google or on the Pedia itself, I want to get to that Pokemon's page right away (not the disambig page)

This is because I'm usually looking for something on the Pokemon's main page. A speed stat for an online battle or checking to see if it can learn a certain move. The disambig page is just an annoyance IMO.

When you search on Google the first result is always our species page - because nothing links to the plain name page (as should always be the case), it's not as high ranked.

My distaste for this idea comes from the fact that, first it's the Pokémon, next it's the types - people type Ground, they want the type, not the egg group. You know how many of those share their names with something else - Water, Flying, Psychic... And next we just throw all our link templates out the window because people don't care and wanna just link the redirect. I swear, two months after this goes through, and you'll have everyone deciding we don't need {{p}} anymore.

I voted to change it, for reasons I have already given. One thing I would like to say is that I think the link to the disambiguation page at the top of the species page should be along the lines of
This article is about the species of Pokémon. For other uses of "[Species]", including individual [Species], see [Species] disambiguation.

My distaste for this idea comes from the fact that, first it's the Pokémon, next it's the types - people type Ground, they want the type, not the egg group. You know how many of those share their names with something else - Water, Flying, Psychic... And next we just throw all our link templates out the window because people don't care and wanna just link the redirect. I swear, two months after this goes through, and you'll have everyone deciding we don't need {{p}} anymore.

I'd like to remind everyone, though, that this isn't the issue at hand. We're discussing solely the merits of this move, not some hypothetical domino effect that might result.

Beyond that, I'm personally opposed to moving anything but the Pokemon disambiguations, since I don't think there are good reasons to move anything else.

I'd like to remind everyone, though, that this isn't the issue at hand. We're discussing solely the merits of this move, not some hypothetical domino effect that might result.

Beyond that, I'm personally opposed to moving anything but the Pokemon disambiguations, since I don't think there are good reasons to move anything else.

Agreed with this. There's a lot more logic behind the disambiguations for the types; "Psychic" means a type in the main series, and a trainer class, and a type in the TCG, and we can't possibly assume that any majority is looking for any one of those when they search for Psychic.

Let's focus on the Pokémon right now, because that's the only one that's remotely an issue. If any of the other sections were an issue, they likely would have come up previously.

I say for the Pokemon, that we change them. I know I haven't been helping with Bulbapedia lately, because of a few different reasons, but that has always been something this has been an issue of accessability. Even though I've been using this system for however long I've been with the Pedia, I still sometimes get annoyed that the page I want is the only thing that isn't after a bullet point, so it takes a few seconds to realize that it's the very first link on the page that I need. And I know that sounds stupid, but it's really not.

I say go ahead and change the disambigs that are for Pokemon, and have the "For other uses" at the top of their pages. It doesn't matter if we keep the others though, for the same reasons that Geo already stated.

I think if one wanted to search for one particular Pokémon, one would have specified it in the first place, like typing "Someone's Pokémon".

The domino effect must be discussed. What happened when they gave the first games in the series remakes? Everyone assumed there'd be a remake in every generation, and now Game Freak's trapped in a corner and gonna have to remake Hoenn and re-remake Kanto so the fans don't whine.

Am I to understand that this is the same proposition which was previously discussed? In which Pokemon Species pages would have a link to the Disambiguation at the top of the page, rather than deleting the Disambiguation altogether?

If so, then I vote yes to the change.

So, here's my question.

How many of you who voted for this actively edit the wiki?

How many of you just go to the wiki to find the species pages, scroll down to the learnsets, and then click off?

Because if that's the case, then we should really just get rid of any other information on the page, since that's the only stuff people care about. Don't try to deny it. That's the only reason you go to the species pages.

So, here's my question.

How many of you who voted for this actively edit the wiki?

How many of you just go to the wiki to find the species pages, scroll down to the learnsets, and then click off?

Because if that's the case, then we should really just get rid of any other information on the page, since that's the only stuff people care about. Don't try to deny it. That's the only reason you go to the species pages.
Are we really having this debate again?

No one is suggesting that anything be deleted at all, this is an apples/oranges comparison.

When you search on Google the first result is always our species page
Lies. Wikipedia wins in these four cases.

This won't happen at least until the Pokéwalker Routes have their disambiguation removed.

The domino effect must be discussed. What happened when they gave the first games in the series remakes? Everyone assumed there'd be a remake in every generation, and now Game Freak's trapped in a corner and gonna have to remake Hoenn and re-remake Kanto so the fans don't whine.

Alright, let's decide it right here, right now, then. The Pokémon disambiguations are the only ones that don't work efficiently. The rest of them pretty much need the disambiguation pages to come up first. We will not change the other ones. Don't get your hopes up, it won't happen. Don't assume it's going to happen, because it isn't going to.

Done.

That's what we said about this thing last time we had a community vote.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom