• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Updating Pokémon Disambiguations

What should we do with the redirects?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Though this is a minor annoyance to me, I do find it annoying sometimes when it is trying to load the disambig. page and has problems when I am trying to go to the Pokemon's page. I think it'd be better to just load the Pokemon page first, but I don't think its top priority on the 'pedia, just a touch up.

I still think it should be an option that you can change.

Many people posted already, so I'll just say simply... The pages load slow so I find that disambiguation page annoying, when most (not all, yes) want info on the species. And there's the Search function to type in additional words on what info you want, if you're looking for a certain Pokemon in particular.

Look, I think a lot of people from both parties are missing the point here. I don't think this should even be an open issue. The premise of a search function is that it should, when searched (ie "go" is pressed), take you to the most helpful page relevant to your keywords.

It seems that most people in favor of leaving the system as-is are missing the major point of grief the rest have. If you want to go to, say "Charmander" (the species page) you have to type "Charmander (pokemon)" into the search box. This works well, but it means you have to add the extra parenthesized word to every search seeking a species page.

Now you really can't argue that these species pages have to be the most used pages on the wiki.

What I find people in favour of the change are failing to point out is that this change invokes very small hassle on those in favour of leaving it as-is. With this change, the disambiguation page is not "deleted", it is still easily accessible from one click through the species page. A lot of people are arguing that one click to the species page is not much, so why can't you handle it yourselves?.
With the new change, accessing anything that isn't a species now becomes based on what you search; ie "Ash's Pikachu" or "Murkrow (TCG)", which is what most people have had to put up with until now.

So, basically, the change means this. Who has the labour (albeit small) of specifying, in brackets, what they want most of the time? Those making the bulk of search (Species searches) or those making other searches (which is a smaller percentage of all searches).

I think that's what I was trying to say.
I just want to say that it seems a logical choice to make the switch.

Hmm... It seems the disambiguation page is being used again. Why is that? Most people don't want it.

Hmm... It seems the disambiguation page is being used again. Why is that? Most people don't want it.

...It seems that the poll results haven't been finalized yet and that, even though it's a landslide, the administrators haven't begun to carry out the changes yet.

There's no "again." We simply haven't stopped using the disambigs yet, IIRC. Don't worry, the shift will occur soon enough.

That's not true. The disambiguation pages are yet to be removed.

But if you try to search for Pikachu, you will land right on the species page as that page serves as an example of the proposed switch.

Edit: lol ninja'd

I'm gonna close this one down, because I think the results of the vote are pretty evident.

Thanks, everyone, for voting and taking the time to express your opinions.

Please note that the closure of this poll is not an invitation to start moving pages. The Editorial Board is taking the results into consultation and devising the most efficient way to move everything.

Please have patience.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom