• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Updating Pokémon Disambiguations

What should we do with the redirects?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
As someone who searches TCG stuff quite a bit, getting rid of the discombobulation page and/or the ability to look for it would severely hamper the functionality of your encyclopedia.

And how exactly would that 'severely hamper the functionality' of Bulbapedia?

Also, I can't help but feel that this "issue" isn't truly much of a problem, and is blown out of proportion by a small, vocal minority who just so happens to be extremely good at lobbying.

ZOMG! IT'S A CONSPIRACY!!!:eek:

And how exactly would that 'severely hamper the functionality' of Bulbapedia?

You get rid of the discombobulation page completely, TCG people can no longer look up pokemon species by TCG. I'd say losing a lookup function of well over half of your pages is a loss in functionality.

If everyone wants the search to go directly to the pokemon species (why can't you guys just type (pok after the species name like everyone else?), you better have a link at the top of the page that says "<specie name> (discombobulation)," otherwise the entire site will simply go to hell.

It's not in place yet, but we will be having a link to the disambiguation page (when appropriate) on the top of the species page, much like how Wikipedia handles some of their disambiguations. In addition, ideas have been thrown around a bit to start making better use of the "In the TCG" section of the species page; currently it links to a separate list of TCG cards featuring the species, but it'll perhaps be possible to just put the majority of that list right into the section, making it easier to use the species page for everything regarding that species (the articles are already used for more than just main-series game information).

I think that this new method is good, but can we support direct links for especially notable ones? Like, on top of the Pikachu page, put in "For Ash's Pikachu, see ...".

I'm not sure if anything's changed, but the last I knew, the general consensus would be to keep Pikachu's disambiguation page as the first thing you come across when you search for Pikachu. The reasoning being, simply put, that Pikachu is such a massive part of the anime series; someone searching for "Pikachu" is just as likely to mean Ash's Pikachu as they are to mean Pikachu, the species. It makes more sense in this case (with two major possibilities for the one search) to simply go to the disambiguation page first. In this particular case, Pikachu would be the one exception to the disambiguation update.

If not, definitely a link to Ash's Pikachu will be prominent on Pikachu's species article.

It's not in place yet, but we will be having a link to the disambiguation page (when appropriate) on the top of the species page, much like how Wikipedia handles some of their disambiguations.

Well, as long as they have that, I'm ok with it. However, I'm not changing my vote from no in any case.

In addition, ideas have been thrown around a bit to start making better use of the "In the TCG" section of the species page; currently it links to a separate list of TCG cards featuring the species, but it'll perhaps be possible to just put the majority of that list right into the section, making it easier to use the species page for everything regarding that species (the articles are already used for more than just main-series game information).

This seems like a good idea as well, however, I kinda like how the pages are compartmentalized. A link to the TCG page on the main specie page is still a good idea, though.

Voted for new redirect. The end result should be less strain on the server since it'll be 1 less unnecessary page. It'll also be far less annoying for those of us with less than satisfactory connections.

Personally, I really hated the fact that it would always take me to the disambiguation page. No, I was not trying to look up Whitney's Miltank, or any Miltank cards in the TCG. I wanted to look at Miltank as a species. Just as an example, of course.

Personally, I really hated the fact that it would always take me to the disambiguation page. No, I was not trying to look up Whitney's Miltank, or any Miltank cards in the TCG. I wanted to look at Miltank as a species. Just as an example, of course.

Agree. If I'd want to, for example, look up some info about her Miltank, I'd put 'Whitney's Miltank' into the search bar. The ONLY time that I kept seeing that blasted disambiguation page was when I wanted to look at a certain pokemon as a species.

I prefer the system as it was, because quite often, when I'm searching for a Pokémon (Ie, Pikachu), and I don't want to go to the Pikachu pokémon page, it'd be annoying to press Search -> Main Pokémon page -> disambiguation page -> Ash's Pikachu. It's less hassle to just go to Search -> disambiguation page -> Ash's Pikachu.

Though, if a lot of people want to go to the main Pokémon page, they should just have that as an option to change in My preferences.

Last edited:
I prefer the system as it was, because quite often, when I'm searching for a Pokémon (Ie, Pikachu), and I don't want to go to the Pikachu pokémon page, it'd be annoying to press Search -> Main Pokémon page -> disambiguation page -> Ash's Pikachu. It's less hassle to just go to Search -> disambiguation page -> Ash's Pikachu.

Though, if a lot of people want to go to the main Pokémon page, they should just have that as an option to change in My preferences.
so why not just search "ash's pikachu" if thats what youre looking for?

To speak more broadly, our data suggests that the overwhelming majority of people on almost all pages (excepting Pikachu) search for Pokemon. So we look at it in terms of saving the most steps.

If 90% of people search "Bulbasaur," want Bulbasaur (Pokemon), and get it under the new system, they're now one click away from the article (Search "Bulbasaur," go there.) Before, they were two--search "Bulbasaur," which is one click, then click "Bulbasaur (Pokemon)".

So it'll save the vast majority of people a click and a page load.

I'd say this has gone on long enough.

150 to 35. Let it go on any longer and it'll just be a damn embarrassment.

I don't really get how the one click away thing is a problem, if you can be bothered clicking any other links a thousand time to get to something, why can't you be bothered with one click to a species page? time? we have 24 hours a day, I'd say that's enough time...

Sometimes, even a few seconds of saved time are worth the effort to reduce the amount of page loads. They add up in the long run.

so why not just search "ash's pikachu" if thats what youre looking for?

Sometimes I just like to randomly Type Pokémon names, and see the different pages on that Pokémon.

That'll still be fully possible with the disambiguation page.

I know, but I have to agree with Twiggy, and say even loading a few pages can take a while.

The disambiguation page is a minor annoyance to me, (and I'm not knowledgable about computers), but if it would speed up the load time of the page and allow more traffic on the site, then by all means get rid of it. I never look for anything besides the (pokemon) page.

change it! i hate typing in abomasnow (just an example) and getting "Abomasnow is a species. Candice's Abomasnow. Abomasnow (TGC)" just bring me to the page!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom