• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Ursaring are terrifying. Are they supposed to be sapient beings?

Adelon

Swampert's Ghost
Reaction score
Most Pokemon, even the more animalistic ones appear to have a degree of consciousness similar to humans, but Ursaring act more like real world bears.

I am terrified of bears so every time an Ursaring comes roaring out of the bushes in the anime I am hoping it doesn't kill whoever it is chasing after.

Why are the Ursaring so murderous and nasty? Even real world bears are actually quite chill most of the time. Ursaring seems to be in permanent "EXTERMINATE ALL LIFE FORMS!" mode.

Can they feel love or anything other than homicidal hate?

Could Ash theoretically tame an Ursaring and make it act not with the rage of a billion suns but the basic decency and civilizedness of other Pokemon?

I remember the Ursaring in that Hawlucha episode, it seemed more like a being than a beast, and by Giratina did it seem like a truly horrible being!

There are a lot of Pokemon I would not want to meet in a dark alley, but this one is probbably right at the top.

I think they are moreso territorial, like many animals can be. They also protect their teddiursa well too so I would imagine there are teddiursa around they might think are in danger and want to protect them

I guess it might be a good strategy for that species until the Pokemon Leauge decides they need to start culling Ursaring and Teddiursa populations around the world to reduce attacks on humans and pokemon.

I can't imagine they have many friends among other pokemon either, I mean, would YOU want to be with an irrational, paranoid entity that thinks every other life form is an existential threat?

I think that Ursaring are quite calm beings but when it comes to their children, Teddiursa, being provoked they get really angry which are normally for bears in real life. Also, like other animals, if you provoke them, they will get angry, which Ash and friends did a couple of times. Let's not forget that most times we see Ursaring or Beedrill, for example, is when Ash and friends disturb them. I think that perception that Ursaring are terrifying was amplified by Paul's Ursaring. After Ursaring was burned, it became so angry and mad (due to Guts) and it absolutely thrashed Pikachu which was quite scary because it literally Hammer Arm'ed Pikachu in the face and into the lake.
As demonstrated in the anime, Ursaring is highly protective of its young, and has been shown to become more aggressive during mating season.
Furthermore, there is nothing in the Pokedex entries or the Bulbapedia page to show that it should normally be aggressive or angry, it is aggressive only when their young are in danger as this quote shows and that is normal for bears.

Ursaring is shown to be aggressive when protecting their young and during mating season, but to be honest, Bewear is more dangerous than Ursaring.

Ursaring, because it lacks a cute appearance, doesn't fool anyone into trying to befriend it. Ursaring simply wants to gather berries, mate, protect its young, and hibernate in peace.

I think of Ursaring as simply a parent who wants to keep their home safe from invaders.

Unlike its Alohan cousin, there are pokedex entries that suggests its ever killed anyone.

Bewear, despite its cuddly appearance, is actually deadly and has been known to kill its trainers a few times before. When its waving its arms at people, its a warning that its actually about to kill you.

There's a friendly Ursaring in XY 63 (and a nonthreatening but mischievous one at the end of Unbearable).

Yeah I just saw that episode, it seemed quite friendly because apparently the dude there tended to it when it was weak and sick.

Still I think the scenes mentioned, along with the fact when we usually see them in the anime they are either A. Territorial, B. It (or it's cubs) has been provoked, or C. It's that time of year, argue these Pokemon just prefer to be by themselves and are probably pretty chill until one of the above happens.

Last edited:
It just depends on whoever is directing or writing for the episode-all Pokemon are capable of a wide range of emotions, both "good" or "bad." The anime is fond of having designated hostile Pokemon that antagonize either the protagonist or their allies. Beedrill, Scolipede, and Ursaring have all been utilized for that purpose several times. That doesn't mean that Beedrill & co are always hostile in their appearances.

For example, Jimmy's Beedrill (as seen in the Legend of Thunder mini series) was pretty docile in comparison to its commonly seen, wild cousins. The Ursaring that evolved from the mischievous Teddiursa was also lax in comparison to other wild appearances of the species.

The episode you're looking for is "Forest Grumps". It's close to the end of Season 3. As stated elsewhere in the thread, they are highly territorial.

Please note: The thread is from 6 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom