• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

US: Team for In-Game and Battle Tree

Incinerawr

I'm back for you, Star Fox.
Reaction score
Hey guys! The team you're about to see is for both the story, post-game and the Battle Tree; beginning to end in any other word. I've been toying with team ideas for my next run of Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon, and though I was aiming to play UM next, my bro's still playing it and I'm not gonna rush him, nor can I wait. All mons are being pre-bred to have perfect natures, egg moves and IVs, and Rockruff will be traded to Moon to become Midnight Lycanroc.

Team details below:

Decidueye (Hoodini) (M) @ Decidium Z / Assault Vest / Expert Belt
Adamant
Long Reach

252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Sp. Def

Leaf Blade
Spirit Shackle
Brave Bird
Shadow Sneak

Incineroar (Leon) (M) @ Assault Vest
Adamant
Intimidate

252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Sp. Def

Fake-out
Flare Blitz
Knock-off
Drain Punch

Primarina (Siren) (F) @ Leftovers
Modest
Torrent

252 HP / 252 Sp. Atk / 4 Def

Aqua Ring
Scald
Moonblast
Ice Beam / Protect

Vikavolt (Buzz) (M) @ Focus Sash
Timid
Levitate

252 Sp. Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe

Thunderbolt
Bug Buzz
Flash Cannon
Agility

Lycanroc (Lobo) (M) (Midnight) @ Lycanium Z / Life Orb
Adamant
No Guard

182 HP / 252 Atk / 76 Spe

Rock Polish
Stone Edge
Fire Punch
Crunch

Kommo-o (Kommand-o) (M) @ Life Orb
Jolly
Multiscale Soundproof

4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe

Dragon Dance
Dragon Claw
Drain Punch
Poison Jab / Earthquake

Last edited:
Liquid voice is a move? :thonkachu:
Though Hyper voice does have some competition with Scald since it does burn and not effected by the double target nerf. Hydro miss does have a bit of a niche as well with power but :shrug: it's all for what you want in that situation. Though if you're not going to run Hyper voice then it would probably be better to just use Torrent since there is no real effect with Liquid voice..
Though on Kommo-o you could replace automatize for Dragon Dance but the +2 speed could come in handy since it's not really as fast.. But without as much force behind it.
Vikavolt is ok but it does have a weird matchup with Excadrill lol
Lycanroc (midnight) does suffer a bit with speed but considering it'll be for the tree it might not matter lol. The secondary effect on the Z move though is kinda moot since the Tapus are never used in the Tree.. I still have a preference for Scarf Midnight doggo though :p
Incineroar seems rather Standard for competitive stuff lol.
Decidueye though could potentially use another Z crystal tbh.. Having just one in 4v4 could potentially not give it some use. Or just a muscle band/expert belt since it has a bit of variety to its moves. Scarf could work as well lol

Wow, first commentator! I'll give you a big THANK YOU off the bat, and now to reply...

Liquid voice is a move? :thonkachu:
Though Hyper voice does have some competition with Scald since it does burn and not effected by the double target nerf. Hydro miss does have a bit of a niche as well with power but :shrug: it's all for what you want in that situation. Though if you're not going to run Hyper voice then it would probably be better to just use Torrent since there is no real effect with Liquid voice..

Gah, I meant Hyper Voice! DX

I do agree that Scald is much preferred over Hyper Voice but Soundproof Kommo-o is a valid Doubles combo that will see a lot of use, plus I recently acquired all three HA starters from @Dolce and wanted to give them a try. Torrent is niche at best for Primarina due to its slow speed. If it's dropped to red, it's probably not going to get another turn in the first place, and the Leftovers + Aqua Ring combo will make this more difficult to reach.

I plan on using the TM and Move Tutor to switch between Scald and Hyper Voice anyway.

Though on Kommo-o you could replace automatize for Dragon Dance but the +2 speed could come in handy since it's not really as fast.. But without as much force behind it.

I prefer +2 boosting moves rather than +1 and +1, unless in the case of Quiver Dance or Coil, which is +1 +1 +1. It's easier to setup and reaches such a high speed that his other EVs can be divided to his HP or Def to help it survive. Is 208 sufficient for Speed with Adamant Automatize, or can I aim lower? Scarf users could be a problem.

Vikavolt is ok but it does have a weird matchup with Excadrill lol

Are there even Excadrills in the Battle Tree? If so, Kommo-o would love to tangle with them.

Lycanroc (midnight) does suffer a bit with speed but considering it'll be for the tree it might not matter lol. The secondary effect on the Z move though is kinda moot since the Tapus are never used in the Tree.. I still have a preference for Scarf Midnight doggo though :p

Lycanium Z actually has 10 extra power than Continental Crush. (190 versus 180.) I don't know if that means much, but Z moves = wallbreakers. I considered running Rock Polish on him, but he won't get nearly as strong as he can be.

Adamant is the generally preferred nature for Midnight, yes? Please say yes, or's I'm in for a helluva lot more breeding.

Incineroar seems rather Standard for competitive stuff lol

Is that a good thing or a bad thing? Not most run Leech Life with Incineroar IIRC.

Decidueye though could potentially use another Z crystal tbh.. Having just one in 4v4 could potentially not give it some use. Or just a muscle band/expert belt since it has a bit of variety to its moves. Scarf could work as well lol

Ghostium Z or even his own Decidium Z could work great. Expert Belt intrigues me a lot more than Choice Scarf tbh. I could ditch the Spe EVs and contribute them to HP or Sp. Def to make him extra bulky, as Decidueyes aren't the fastest in the flock.

Wow, first commentator! I'll give you a big THANK YOU off the bat, and now to reply...
Np lol. I was just lurking in OtB and saw that you had made a post from there lol

Gah, I meant Hyper Voice! DX

I do agree that Scald is much preferred over Hyper Voice but Soundproof Kommo-o is a valid Doubles combo that will see a lot of use, plus I recently acquired all three HA starters from @Dolce and wanted to give them a try. Torrent is niche at best for Primarina due to its slow speed. If it's dropped to red, it's probably not going to get another turn in the first place, and the Leftovers + Aqua Ring combo will make this more difficult to reach.

I plan on using the TM and Move Tutor to switch between Scald and Hyper Voice anyway.
Hyper voice does effect only effect the opponents though lol. But switching between them can be useful to see which one is better. Though you can also use Heart scales since it's a Level up move lol
I prefer +2 boosting moves rather than +1 and +1, unless in the case of Quiver Dance or Coil, which is +1 +1 +1. It's easier to setup and reaches such a high speed that his other EVs can be divided to his HP or Def to help it survive. Is 208 sufficient for Speed with Adamant Automatize, or can I aim lower? Scarf users could be a problem.
According to my calculations +2 with 204 evs (it's the same as 208 since 100 is 4 and 50 is iirc 8) it's outspeeding everything up to 188 base speed or so lol
Are there even Excadrills in the Battle Tree? If so, Kommo-o would love to tangle with them.
Eeyup I've come across a few when i had my two 100+ streaks.. Some have mold breaker though..
Lycanium Z actually has 10 extra power than Continental Crush. (190 versus 180.) I don't know if that means much, but Z moves = wallbreakers. I considered running Rock Polish on him, but he won't get nearly as strong as he can be.

Adamant is the generally preferred nature for Midnight, yes? Please say yes, or's I'm in for a helluva lot more breeding.
The added power is nice lol. Imo it seems rather difficult to pull off as is Swords Dance since it has a few issues with stats lol
Tbh i do prefer Jolly but since this is battle tree the sets can be rather random and some just like slow Pokémon and then there's the fact that they are the only ones using quick claws lol
Is that a good thing or a bad thing? Not most run Leech Life with Incineroar IIRC.
It's generally a good thing lol.
Leech life can be useful but not as used since bug coverage isn't as popular since the weaknesses are already covered rather well on incineroar.
Ghostium Z or even his own Decidium Z could work great. Expert Belt intrigues me a lot more than Choice Scarf tbh. I could ditch the Spe EVs and contribute them to HP or Sp. Def to make him extra bulky, as Decidueyes aren't the fastest in the flock.
That could work as well lol though you could trade U-turn for Shadow Sneak for priority with the lack of speed

Np lol. I was just lurking in OtB and saw that you had made a post from there lol

I gave a shout-out on my profile page about it, and in the general Bulbagarden discussion, too! I'm glad at least someone noticed. o:

Hyper voice does effect only effect the opponents though lol. But switching between them can be useful to see which one is better. Though you can also use Heart scales since it's a Level up move lol

Does it? According to Serebii it says: "Pokemon hit in battle: All Pokemon in range." Has the Internet... lied, to me?

Tbh I'm conflicted because I just bred a rare female Primarina with 5 IVs in everything but Attack, but it has Torrent. Everyone online hates Liquid Voice, partially because they're bitter that its HA wasn't something like Water Absorb or Swift Swim, so I dunno what to do at this point. More breeding? Or keep it as she is? Fem starters are hard enough to get.

According to my calculations +2 with 204 evs (it's the same as 208 since 100 is 4 and 50 is iirc 8) it's outspeeding everything up to 188 base speed or so lol

Well, I don't think 252 Spe is necessary then. Looks like I was right on the money!

Eeyup I've come across a few when i had my two 100+ streaks.. Some have mold breaker though..

I'd be more concerned if they had Sand Rush. Only Mimikyu is really afraid of Mold Breaker, and then I'm not using one this game.

The added power is nice lol. Imo it seems rather difficult to pull off as is Swords Dance since it has a few issues with stats lol
Tbh i do prefer Jolly but since this is battle tree the sets can be rather random and some just like slow Pokémon and then there's the fact that they are the only ones using quick claws lo

I'm thinking Rock Polish is my best bet - it can outspeed all of its rivals that way, including Daylight. Is it necessary to run 252 Spe EVs on a set like that? I'd like to distribute its other stats to help its bulk.

It's generally a good thing lol.
Leech life can be useful but not as used since bug coverage isn't as popular since the weaknesses are already covered rather well on incineroar.

I want LL not so much for coverage but so he can recover his HP - with that kind of bulk, and Intimidate + Assault Vest keeping him alive, it seems wrong not to have a way to heal him. What moves do most folks run instead besides U-Turn? His page on Smogon is just barren.

That could work as well lol though you could trade U-turn for Shadow Sneak for priority with the lack of speed

Ooh, or Sucker Punch. Sucker Punch is nice!

Does it? According to Serebii it says: "Pokemon hit in battle: All Pokemon in range." Has the Internet... lied, to me?
I have seen it in use multiple times lol. Your ally won't get hit by hyper voice regardless of soundproof :p if it was Sparkling Aria though then it would hit your ally. :p
Tbh I'm conflicted because I just bred a rare female Primarina with 5 IVs in everything but Attack, but it has Torrent. Everyone online hates Liquid Voice, partially because they're bitter that its HA wasn't something like Water Absorb or Swift Swim, so I dunno what to do at this point. More breeding? Or keep it as she is? Fem starters are hard enough to get.
You could save it for when you don't want to use sound based moves lol. Though i think the problem is that Liquid voice doesn't get that 1.2 boost in power like the -ate moves or Galvanize.. It would have made Hyper voice more of a viable option as opposed to scald or Hydro pump.

I'd be more concerned if they had Sand Rush. Only Mimikyu is really afraid of Mold Breaker, and then I'm not using one this game.
Some of them do have Sand Rush but they usually want to carry sandstorm instead of sand stream Pokémon lol. There are some instances where they have sand steam though..
I'm thinking Rock Polish is my best bet - it can outspeed all of its rivals that way, including Daylight. Is it necessary to run 252 Spe EVs on a set like that? I'd like to distribute its other stats to help its bulk.
With 252 evs and adamant you'll be slightly faster than your +2 Kommo-o with a rock polish boost lol. So you should have some evs to spare.

I want LL not so much for coverage but so he can recover his HP - with that kind of bulk, and Intimidate + Assault Vest keeping him alive, it seems wrong not to have a way to heal him. What moves do most folks run instead besides U-Turn? His page on Smogon is just barren.
I've seen Low kick get some use but my incineroar has Drain punch, as well as knock off (as it's Dark type move but in case you want to get rid of items lol). Thunder punch is also an option if you want it to deal se damage to water types lol.

I have seen it in use multiple times lol. Your ally won't get hit by hyper voice regardless of soundproof :p if it was Sparkling Aria though then it would hit your ally. :p

You could save it for when you don't want to use sound based moves lol. Though i think the problem is that Liquid voice doesn't get that 1.2 boost in power like the -ate moves or Galvanize.. It would have made Hyper voice more of a viable option as opposed to scald or Hydro pump

Ahh, maybe I got the two moves confused then. Liquid Voice piques my interest for Doubles, but I may just stick with Torrent. I currently have a perfect female Torrent Popplio and now-perfect male Liquid Voice Popplio...

Why did they give a Ghost-type and Dark-type special STAB move to Decidueye and Incineroar, yet give Primarina Water anyway? Fairy is a Fairy-ly new type and doesn't have such a big selection of moves save for Dazzling Gleam, Play Rough and Moon Blast.

Some of them do have Sand Rush but they usually want to carry sandstorm instead of sand stream Pokémon lol. There are some instances where they have sand steam though.

All's I know is Sand Rush Excadrills are killers. Such normally slow mons have been getting the jump on trainers since Gen V.

With 252 evs and adamant you'll be slightly faster than your +2 Kommo-o with a rock polish boost lol. So you should have some evs to spare

I should be able to stash 50 or so into his HP, or I might go for the gusto and add 100. If he gets one Rock Polish in, it'll be fairly hard to stop his sweep, and Sucker Punch gives him an leg up against priority users. (Good for pre-RP, too, I should think.)

I've seen Low kick get some use but my incineroar has Drain punch, as well as knock off (as it's Dark type move but in case you want to get rid of items lol). Thunder punch is also an option if you want it to deal se damage to water types lol.

HOLY CRAP, I didn't even know that move tutor existed! I was browsing on my phone earlier today and stumbled into it. Knock-off and Drain Punch are way better than Darkest Lariat and Leech Life. smashes the edit button on first post (Also gonna put Shadow Sneak on Decidueye, the guaranteed STAB makes it more proficient than Sucker Punch anyway.)

Thanks so much for the help, by the way! The only thing that's bugging me is exactly how much EVs I should invest in Lycanroc and Kommo-o if the +2 is that strong. Much like a loving and somewhat overly protective father, I just want what's best for them. HP? Def? 50? 100?

Thanks so much for the help, by the way! The only thing that's bugging me is exactly how much EVs I should invest in Lycanroc and Kommo-o if the +2 is that strong. Much like a loving and somewhat overly protective father, I just want what's best for them. HP? Def? 50? 100?
Np lol. i went ahead and checked to see how much speed would be ok for both and came up with 140 Speed evs for Lycanroc and 116 for Kommo-o which would give them both 120 (240 with +2) which could work lol. The maximum for Base speed of 130 is 200 at level 50 and does give some room for potential scarf users. You could increase or decrease them more if you want since there's still room in terms of out speeding most Pokémon lol. (the 116 is the minimum as 115 evs gives you 119 speed)

Np lol. i went ahead and checked to see how much speed would be ok for both and came up with 140 Speed evs for Lycanroc and 116 for Kommo-o which would give them both 120 (240 with +2) which could work lol. The maximum for Base speed of 130 is 200 at level 50 and does give some room for potential scarf users. You could increase or decrease them more if you want since there's still room in terms of out speeding most Pokémon lol. (the 116 is the minimum as 115 evs gives you 119 speed)

That makes a lot of sense! Tbh I just learned how to calculate Speed yesterday and how boosts factor in, granted I only know with Lv. 100 but it's the same difference but half. Midnight Lycanroc with a base speed of 83, neutral nature, max IVs and 52 Spe EVs + Rock Polish = 420, which is way beyond base speed 130's max of 394 and beats 411, which covers Pokemon from 90 base speed and lower with maximum EV investment and Choice Scarf.

Am I doing this right? Or does Lv. 50 not apply to Lv. 100 calcs? I'm probably gonna run DD on Kommo-o and just give him the 252 Spe investment, letting him reach 396 Speed after one activation, barely letting him outspeed Crobat lol

That makes a lot of sense! Tbh I just learned how to calculate Speed yesterday and how boosts factor in, granted I only know with Lv. 100 but it's the same difference but half. Midnight Lycanroc with a base speed of 83, neutral nature, max IVs and 52 Spe EVs + Rock Polish = 420, which is way beyond base speed 130's max of 394 and beats 411, which covers Pokemon from 90 base speed and lower with maximum EV investment and Choice Scarf.
Went to check what it would be at 50. The speed is at 109 or 218 at +2. Also base 90 speed with max invest and scarf is faster (234)
109 does outpace 130 speed at +2 though lol. Anything that's 101 or above with a +2 boost can outspeed 130 base :p
Am I doing this right? Or does Lv. 50 not apply to Lv. 100 calcs? I'm probably gonna run DD on Kommo-o and just give him the 252 Spe investment, letting him reach 396 Speed after one activation, barely letting him outspeed Crobat lol
Kommo-o's Max neutral speed at modest and +1 is equal to Mega Lopunny's max speed of 135 lol. I had run a modest Kommo-o a while back for its Z move :p
Also Showdown's calculator is rather helpful with level 50 calculations lol. That's the calculator I've been using for speed tiers :p

Went to check what it would be at 50. The speed is at 109 or 218 at +2. Also base 90 speed with max invest and scarf is faster (234)
109 does outpace 130 speed at +2 though lol. Anything that's 101 or above with a +2 boost can outspeed 130 base :p

Kommo-o's Max neutral speed at modest and +1 is equal to Mega Lopunny's max speed of 135 lol. I had run a modest Kommo-o a while back for its Z move :p
Also Showdown's calculator is rather helpful with level 50 calculations lol. That's the calculator I've been using for speed tiers :p

Wait, you mean there's actually a Pokemon calculator? And here I've been using good-ol' fashioned division with just my normal calculator brain. In that case, let's make base Speed 150 the one to beat, since M-Alakazam is oh-so popular in the Battle Tree and I hate its guts. With just 76 Spe investment + Rock Polish, Lv. 50 Lycanroc hits 224, a mere 2 points above Timid max investment Lv. 50 M-Alakazam's 222, and has a 93.8% chance to OHKO with Crunch and guaranteed OHKO with Splintered Stormshards. If I swap for Life Orb, Crunch guaranteed gets the kill. Z-move gets the OHKO on M-Aerodactyl, too.

So yeah. If he can outspeed 150 base, I'm not seeing too many mons that will outspeed him even with that 1.5 Choice Scarf boost. Since Game Freak sapped away this doggo's Spe and gave him +10 HP/Def/Sp. Def as though it actually means something, it falls on me to get the Speed boost ASAP, because his bulk isn't enough to take more than two hits at best. Fully invested Adamant has a pretty good chance at grabbing an OHKO, but Z-move/Life Orb is where he'll really get the most out of it.

Midnight's bases really should have had like 115 Def and dropped something stupid like his Sp. Atk to 25. He and Daylight share the same Atk, too, which is really unfair and gives little incentive to choose the former. Should have dropped -10 of Daylight's Attack and gave it +10 to Spe since it wants to be a mini-Aerodactyl. IMO, the Lycanrocs should have been like this:

Daylight: fast and furious
Midnight: slow and bulky
Dusk: mix

Midnight is NOT bulky. He's just slow. Although with that remaining 182 HP investment he can survive an Earthquake from Charizard X, so... that's a thing.

Last edited:
Please note: The thread is from 6 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom