• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

US/UM Trailers and News Discussion

Still keeping my fingers crossed that they still have something left to show us (looking at you new Alolan forms).
But I'm loving what I see. Now I'm curious how it fits in context with Sun/Moon. Is it a sequel? Or an alternate reality like ORAS is to Ruby/Sapphire?
It's still an enhanced version

Oh my god UB Adhesive is so cute!

But aside from that - is the Ultra Recon Squad the villains?

I'm actually interested to see how the storyline is going to play out. I'm almost sure it'd be like Platinum, but I'm still hoping for a sequel :3

Oh my god UB Adhesive is so cute!

But aside from that - is the Ultra Recon Squad the villains?

I'm actually interested to see how the storyline is going to play out. I'm almost sure it'd be like Platinum, but I'm still hoping for a sequel :3
I don't think they are, the trailer says neczroma stole the light from their world (their sun) and probably came after it. Neczroma is in our world to steal our light next (why he takes solgaleo or lunala) and they're there to stop it.

Is Ultra Megalopolis a city that got sucked into a dark pocket of space via a wormwhole? Saying that Necrozma stole its light doesn't explain much. If it is an entire world rather than just one city, then the name doesn't make sense. Or maybe I'm overthinking it and it is a city representing an entire parallel world.

And I don't understand this sequel talk. Key cutscenes from SM are being mirrored, while Lillie and Hau are starting from scratch again. There is just more going on than there was in SM, and Lusamine seems less important than before.

Everything sofar are cool new additions, especially the new areas. I am not a fan of exploring space in a Pokemon game, and definitely would prefer if there was a small nearby region to explore near Aloa, on Poke- Earth (like Battle Zone is near Sinnoh). And still, this Ultrahome quest DOES expand the areas you have to visit in the game in a smart, Platinum- like way (Distortion World). Also, that Space City is giving me huge Black City vibes. As a Gen V fan, I appreciate that a lot.

Also, they are really going in the right path minigame wise: first Mantine Surf and Photo club, now Ultra Space soaring! Combined with what we already had (Refresh and Pokefinder) USUM is shaping like a minigame abundant pair, and this is one thing they needed to improve. Well done. Really liking those sofar.

However, I am still not convinced the game is worth buying, and this will not change until they show a brand new Battle Facility to go along with Battle Tree and Royal Dome. Or, at the very least, until they show the Battle Tree has been expanded with more npcs and styles!

I am also waiting for new Alola formes to be added, though more minigames (check) and more more Battle Facilities (not check) are my top 2 demands towards this game.

Last edited:
Holy crap I leave my computer for half an hour and we get another huge news drop. In the japanese trailer we see Dulse and Zossie in Aether Paradise in what looks like the scene where lillie runs away, so there's a good chance they might be at least morally ambiguous if not villains.

I don't think they are, the trailer says neczroma stole the light from their world (their sun) and probably came after it. Neczroma is in our world to steal our light next (why he takes solgaleo or lunala) and they're there to stop it.
It seems to me like Necrozma is trying to steal light to help Ultra Megalopolis. If the Ultra Recon Squad are from there, then maybe Necrozma is willingly helping them. Heck, it might just be their boss for all we know.

But it stole their light to begin with.
We don't know if the light originally belonged to Ultra Megalopolis to begin with. We also don't know the Ultra Recon Squad's original world. What we do know is that Ultra Megalopolis is where Necrozma has currently carried the light to. For all we know, it could be trying to bring back light from other worlds for its own world. This world could also be the same one these new characters belong to.

We don't know if the light originally belonged to Ultra Megalopolis to begin with. We also don't know the Ultra Recon Squad's original world. What we do know is that Ultra Megalopolis is where Necrozma has currently carried the light to. For all we know, it could be trying to bring back light from other worlds for its own world. This world could also be the same one these new characters belong to.
I also had a crazy fan theory, you know how the last trailer said "The Alola you know is gone" what if megalopoplis is the Alola of Sun and moon, when looker chose to over look necozoma it took Sun and Moons light which would become megalopolis later on. From there they'd find a way to travel to a world in chase of necozoma which is the Alola of USUM so they can get their light back.

Another theory is that the fallers get their memories erased in megaloplois then thrown back into our world.

Just waitin' on more Alola Forms now, then I'll be a perfectly happy bunny

UB Adhesive probably my least-favorite UB, but it's still pretty cute. It's an interesting look for a Poison type. Makes me think of a UB equivalent of the Mew Stats crowd.

The Megalopolis and the UB realms look pretty awesome.

Updated the OP with both new trailers. An hour late, my bad
Ultra Metropolis and battling the UB in their home dimension immediately remind me of Platinum's Distortion World. Nihilego aside, I hope there's some actual exploration this time, rather than just a tiny corridor.
The Ultra Recon Squad's piquing my interest too. Are they allies? Antagonists? Anti-villains? One of them is seen battling the player with UB Adhesive, but perhaps that's just to test the player's strength?
...I'm still not 100% sold on USM however, as neat as the new trailer looks.

UB Adhesive probably my least-favorite UB, but it's still pretty cute. It's an interesting look for a Poison type. Makes me think of a UB equivalent of the Mew Stats crowd.
Say hello to 2018's Marshadow

Last edited:
"By traveling through an Ultra Wormhole, you can reach Ultra Megalopolis—a world that has had its light stolen by Necrozma. "

Your assumption contradicts the official description. Ultra Megalopolis, a dark city, is the name of the world whose light has been stolen, or rather it seems that the light is contained in a single tower where Necrozma lives. It's pretty obvious that the squad are from this world, too.

I assume that the city is part of a bigger world, quite possibly a mirror version of the USUM world (I doubt that it corresponds to the SM world, though), but the city is central due to the tower.

Updated the OP with both new trailers. An hour late, my bad
Ultra Metropolis and battling the UB in their home dimension immediately remind me of Platinum's Distortion World. Nihilego aside, I hope there's some actual exploration this time, rather than just a tiny corridor.
The Ultra Recon Squad's piquing my interest too. Are they allies? Antagonists? Anti-villains? One of them is seen battling the player with UB Adhesive, but perhaps that's just to test the player's strength?

For the Recon squad's role, I've seen a lot of points on many different sides. Back when we only had the poster everyone assumed they were evil because they were surrounded by darkness, but we now know that may just be symbolism for the light being stolen from the Ultra Megalopolis. We also see you wearing one of their suits for the new ride minigame, implying that it was a gift from them to help you, but that doesn't mean they're not evil, since a similar thing happened in ORAS with Magma/Aqua.

Dulse and Zossie don't have very confrontational dialogue in US the trailer when they meet you and Cosmog, only talking about being here to confirm something, and Phyco and Soliera aren't that hostile either; the battles could easily be explained as them testing your strength. However, they also seem to replace the Aether grunts chasing Lillie at the beginning, and whether they are doing it for good or evil remains unexplained.

Personally, I think they'll do some morally dubious things but ultimately help your cause far more than they hurt it, but that's just a wild guess.

Are the Ultra Recon Squad going to come through the wormhole at Aether instead of Nihilego? I'm still reasonably convinced that Nihilego isn't going to be what comes through this time.

I wonder if the different Ultra Spaces and the Megalopolis are the only things we can access from wormhole soaring.

Are the Ultra Recon Squad going to come through the wormhole at Aether instead of Nihilego? I'm still reasonably convinced that Nihilego isn't going to be what comes through this time.

Maybe, although in part of the trailer it seems as though the URS replace the Aether grunts that were chasing Lillie in SM's opening scene. If that hasn't been temporally shifted, then at least some of them are there from the start.

I wonder if the different Ultra Spaces and the Megalopolis are the only things we can access from wormhole soaring.
Most probably. Considering the fact that we most likely have an entire region of Alola to re-explore, these new seemingly large areas to venture into are sufficient enough IMO to differentiate it from SM, and draw player attention. That's not to say that I do not want or appreciate any new additions to the game; more is always welcome! :)(y)

Most probably. Considering the fact that we most likely have an entire region of Alola to re-explore, these new seemingly large areas to venture into are sufficient enough IMO to differentiate it from SM, and draw player attention. That's not to say that I do not want or appreciate any new additions to the game; more is always welcome! :)(y)
they still look like long straight-forward corridors :p

Back
Top Bottom