• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

US/UM Trailers and News Discussion

And I still don't give a flying Rattata's buttcheeks about the Ultra Beasts. I've always been a storyline person. Give me a decent storyline and I'm a happy Pokefan.

Same. The latest UB revealed (Sticky?) is adorable. But I have little interest in the UB/NotPokemon beasts. Decent story, new (actual) Pokémon and/or formes are all I need. And I much prefer some sort of post-game storyline; miss me with that Battle Frontier/Tree/Factory nonsense.

Same. The latest UB revealed (Sticky?) is adorable. But I have little interest in the UB/NotPokemon beasts. Decent story, new (actual) Pokémon and/or formes are all I need. And I much prefer some sort of post-game storyline; miss me with that Battle Frontier/Tree/Factory nonsense.

I've never understood this whole "Ultra Beasts aren't Pokemon" thing that people seem to have going on. They go into Pokeballs, then follow commands once caught, they have moves and types that other Pokemon have as well. If it walks like a Pokemon and talks like a Pokemon it's probably a Pokemon.

Ultra Beasts ARE the story, and a great part of it at that. Why complain about em when GF has given us great designs for an alien species of Pokemon from an alien world. The concept of isolated spaces all part of an unseen whole that organically give birth to these eldritch horrors of insanely immense power is all kinds of crazy, the good kind mind you, and the fact that there is this gathering of humans who somehow survived and actually colonized an entire ultra space is a very cool twist. Then you have Necrozma who is a proper antagonistic Pokemon who is basically the equivalent of Galactus, roaming the multiverse to devour the light of all worlds, is an even better new bit of lore. Some designs are borderline questionable, but they have grown on me and I really want to see this thing snowball into the next gens.

Speaking of plot and ultra beasts. What if Solgaleo and Lunala really ARE the Sun and Moon, as in:
They are Ultra Beasts, but the only ones who have evolved into a neutral entity. As in they have no true Ultra Space as their species' role is to provide actual Sunlight/Moonlight for the worlds to actually be complete, and the Solgaleo/Lunala we encounter in game are the only ones of their species left, the last world where Necrozma has not brought abouy eternal darkness. Could be why Zygarde is active in Alola, it sensed that the last world with light is about to he destroyed.

I've never understood this whole "Ultra Beasts aren't Pokemon" thing that people seem to have going on. They go into Pokeballs, then follow commands once caught, they have moves and types that other Pokemon have as well. If it walks like a Pokemon and talks like a Pokemon it's probably a Pokemon.
That and if Ultra Beasts aren't Pokemon then neither are Solgaleo and Lunaala...

Speaking of plot and ultra beasts. What if Solgaleo and Lunala really ARE the Sun and Moon, as in:
They are Ultra Beasts, but the only ones who have evolved into a neutral entity. As in they have no true Ultra Space as their species' role is to provide actual Sunlight/Moonlight for the worlds to actually be complete, and the Solgaleo/Lunala we encounter in game are the only ones of their species left, the last world where Necrozma has not brought abouy eternal darkness. Could be why Zygarde is active in Alola, it sensed that the last world with light is about to he destroyed.
Forgot to add. When I say neutral, its because they are not meant to protect nor destroy the celestial bodies. Their typings suggest a more sinister role, Steel to because its meant to devour the sun and Ghost because the moonlight is more of an afterimage a "GHOSTLY" imitation of the sun, but they are also meant to protect and keep them intact. Perhaps their existence is even to make sure the energy levels are never too high, because of the imbalance such an incident would cause. So without the emissaries, either too much energy comes about, or Necrozma can steal it all without any opposition.
Lastly, I figure that they don't really need an Ultra Space, and Nebbys are created when an Eclipse happens, and depending on the type of eclipse Solgaleo or Lunala is the outcome. Perhaps Necrozma is the result of a Nebby born from the eclipse of an already dead world?

I’m not trying to be didactic here but if it were me, even if I weren’t totally, irretrievably in love with the UBs, I would still really appreciate them from the perspective that they’re an attempt at something genuinely new and outside the series’s comfort zone. I understand not liking them because they don’t “feel like Pokémon”; that’s a risk that I’m certain Game Freak were very much aware of while formulating the UBs. But surely it’s at least just a plainly good thing that they’re willing to push their creative limits?

As much as I'd like to believe this, have we got a source for this claim?
Personal theory of mine. It would make a lot of sense imo. Since Necrozma looks to be the utter lack of light, then I figure that a cosmog would come from the opposite, which is an eclipse.
I’m not trying to be didactic here but if it were me, even if I weren’t totally, irretrievably in love with the UBs, I would still really appreciate them from the perspective that they’re an attempt at something genuinely new and outside the series’s comfort zone. I understand not liking them because they don’t “feel like Pokémon”; that’s a risk that I’m certain Game Freak were very much aware of while formulating the UBs. But surely it’s at least just a plainly good thing that they’re willing to push their creative limits?
Pretty much. Recently started liking the designs, but loved the concept from the start. Now that we are getting more lore, its only going to get better. I really hope my theory is correct, and that each world is basically a hive that organically pops out ultra beasts because its so different from what the series has given us so far. It also makes me wonder:
Distortion_World_physics.png

ARE THOSE ACTUALLY VINES?​

In terms of plot and breaking the mold, i love the UB's
In terms of the idea behind them, i love the UB's
In terms of them as competitive Pokémon, i love the UB's
The ONLY part i dont love about them is that they, potentially, robbed the oportunity of there being new mons that evolve and appear midgame so that i can use on my team. But this is the same problem i have with gens with too many legendaries.
In the scale of things this doesnt weight as much so i do like them, but sometimes i end up thinking, "i wish there werent as many of them and more 'real' Pokémon."
I think maybe the last part is the reason some people dont think of them as Pokémon or dont like them as much.

Eh. Some people don't like em straight up, so not liking em because they take up dex space is a criticism I can agree with, but I have come to terms that a large amount of new Pokemon is becoming unfeasible sooner then later.

I personally don't like the UBs because they're essentially legendaries. I don't like legendaries, I don't wanna use legendaries, why can't there be UBs that aren't on that level?

I'm hoping Adhesive will be more like a regular Pokémon that just happens to come from ultra space. Because the other UBs are all just too... ultra.

do you think more ultra best will come in generation 8? we now have legendaries, mythical, Ultra beast, alien, artifical, ancient pokemon?

Or next generation could change the course of legendary pokemon?

UBs are neat, other dimensions too... but what about ancien pokemon, future pokemon? Maybe Arceus was not the first?still waiting for Pokemon Order and Pokemon Chaos, where the main legendary could be a dark/ghost pokemon.

Good that they are creative with UBs hope they will be more productive in amount of abilities, moves and pokemon in generation 8, 9, 10,11 and 12: we need a clown dragon, a skeleton dragon(drragon/ghost immune to special moves through ability), a new ice/dragon, a mousketter(fighting/steel) and many others to come, royal pig(ground/fairy immune to: blade, claw, bite and slash moves).

Last edited:
do you think more ultra best will come in generation 8? we now have legendaries, mythical, Ultra beast, alien, artifical, ancient pokemon?

Or next generation could change the course of legendary pokemon?

UBs are neat, other dimensions too... but what about ancien pokemon, future pokemon? Maybe Arceus was not the first?still waiting for Pokemon Order and Pokemon Chaos, where the main legendary could be a dark/ghost pokemon.
Well, this is a question I have been asking myself for quite some time now. I am glad you actually brought this up.

Personally, I feel that the Ultra Beasts and their lore exploration will be a Gen 7 thing. Preferably, I have always associated the Ultra Space with the Alola region, based on the former's connection with the Cosmog line, specifically Solgaleo and Lunala. And I say, this belief is somewhat strengthened by the fact that we did receive new UB's mid Generation, when they could very well have been introduced in Generation 8. I believe Game Freak wishes to confine the UB lore, and its exploration by the players, to the seventh Generation, while they possibly try out something new for the next one.

On the other side though, the Ultra Space is just an alternate dimension, which should could very well be connected to other regions, so new Ultra Beasts, still being introduced in the next Generation, is a very bright possibility as well, IMO.

Well, this is a question I have been asking myself for quite some time now. I am glad you actually brought this up.

Personally, I feel that the Ultra Beasts and their lore exploration will be a Gen 7 thing. Preferably, I have always associated the Ultra Space with the Alola region, based on the former's connection with the Cosmog line, specifically Solgaleo and Lunala. And I say, this belief is somewhat strengthened by the fact that we did receive new UB's mid Generation, when they could very well have been introduced in Generation 8. I believe Game Freak wishes to confine the UB lore, and its exploration by the players, to the seventh Generation, while they possibly try out something new for the next one.

On the other side though, the Ultra Space is just an alternate dimension, which should could very well be connected to other regions, so new Ultra Beasts, still being introduced in the next Generation, is a very bright possibility as well, IMO.

especially gen 4 with Giratina on mind and mybe future relations, weird that Deoxys is left behind some where, it could really need something like a mega or Z-stone to change its forms during battles.

I mean, for all intents and purposes they ARE Pokémon; but I feel they get treated (at least storyline wise) as something else. Hence my term NotPokémon.

I mean, for all intents and purposes they ARE Pokémon; but I feel they get treated (at least storyline wise) as something else.

Of course they’d be treated differently since they’re not from Alola, and are unique in Alola, but normal in Ultra Space. Sort of like box legerndaries.

I pretty much agree with most of this post. The lore around the UBs will likely be explained within the confines of Gen 7. However, we could always get new Ultra Beasts for the sake of crazy new designs in the future. In other words, I think the UB lore will conclude in USUM but that Ultra Beasts themselves could get new members down the line.

This reminds of the discussion about Mega Evolution being a staple feature. So much for that. And who knows if regional variants will be revisited even in USUM.

I hope that the next generation goes back to a small number of legendaries, which include UBs in my book.

This reminds of the discussion about Mega Evolution being a staple feature. So much for that. And who knows if regional variants will be revisited even in USUM.

I hope that the next generation goes back to a small number of legendaries, which include UBs in my book.
I’m pretty sure UBs aren’t Legendary Pokemon aside from the Cosmog line and Necrozma. There isn’t a real legend around most of them; they’re simply extra-dimensional Pokémon. I don’t understand why everyone views them as legendaries…

Back
Top Bottom