• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

US/UM Trailers and News Discussion

Yeah, no kidding. Back in the day when we knew very little about Ultra Beasts, I thought Game Freak would have made their own "Ultra Types" for these creatures in terms of strengths and weaknesses in order to show how Alien they are. In fact, I think they should have shared a new type called the Ultra-type to capitalize their connection. To this day, I still don't know why Game Freak decided to give them such mundane types. At the very least, Game Freak could have given them a variation of their types that allowed for STAB but also makes their resistances and weaknesses different from what the types usually have.

Because GF we’re going for "They're just Pokemon in a different world" thing. Nihilego is probably meant to be Tentacruel of the UB world, and so on. A new type just for them would’ve taken that aesthetic away.

Because GF we’re going for "They're just Pokemon in a different world" thing. Nihilego is probably meant to be Tentacruel of the UB world, and so on. A new type just for them would’ve taken that aesthetic away.
Alien enough, but once you get down to it, not too far removed from our own in-universe concepts - and also our real life perception of Pokémon. I do enjoy that balance with the Ultra Beasts.

To be honest, the addition of an "Ultra" or "Aether" type exclusive to a specific set of Pokémon would just upset the equilibrium even further than they already have - they'd have to add new moves to cover that type as well. What kind of type affinities would it have?

It dosen’t make sense them being just in game bosses, since they're essentially Pokémon, which happens to be the main point of UBs. Pokemon that 'evolved' (Darwinian evolution) in a different world.
But I think UBs should've been restricted to Beast Balls only, or have way less catch rate when regular Pokeballs are used.

But I think UBs should've been restricted to Beast Balls only, or have way less catch rate when regular Pokeballs are used.
Technically, they do - though I guess you want it to be equivalent to when you try to use a Beast Ball on anyone else, rather than just a regular Poké Ball catch rate, when using any other Poké Ball on an Ultra Beast. That honestly would just up my motivation to catch them in non-Beast Balls!
They should have been in-game bosses only. Then a new type wouldn't have been disruptive.
How would you know they even have a new type, then?

You would know because they would use new moves that would show off the type. Not to mention that they wouldn't have any weaknesses.

You would know because they would use new moves that would show off the type. Not to mention that they wouldn't have any weaknesses.

All the UBs sharing a type, having moves specifically for them, and having no weaknesses just goes against their entire concept imo of being Pokémon from another dimension. Even Arceus has weaknesses. All the other extradimensional Pokemon have weaknesses.

Arceus only has one weakness in its natural state.

And uh, obviously I'm saying that they shouldn't have been just regular Pokemon from another dimension. But to each their own.

for me they are demilegendaries from a other dimension and shouldnt be catched to easy, restricted to a special kind of pokeball.

I have to say, the return of O-Powers as Rotom Loto is excellent. For the first time, GF must have realized that getting rid of one of the best features of the PSS was one of the biggest mistakes they ever made.

For the first time, GF must have realized that getting rid of one of the best features of the PSS was one of the biggest mistakes they ever made.
That's a grand total of 1 out of... how many they've yet to correct, in your eyes? I still have my doubts that it won't come without some sort of backwards step...

Jokes on them, I already do!

Though I do feel it wasn't handled well in SM, so I'm glad it's getting upgraded in these games.

Yeah, that's pretty much where I'm at with it as well. I liked it as a character and as a concept, now make me like it as a feature.

Last edited:
I know that that this is a pretty late reply to this, but I see where you're coming from on this. To be honest, it is easier for Game Freak to get that point across with regular types. However, I still would have liked if the Ultra Beasts had minor variations in the normal types as far as weaknesses and resistances go. For example, maybe Nihilego could have a variation of the Rock-typing that had it resist Water-type moves but be weak to Fire-type moves in the vain of Crystal Onix. Little things like that would have been nice and not really all that game-breaking.

Honestly, I don't want any more big reveals. I'd rather discover the rest on my own.

The 2nd best part of the prerelease game cycle.

From "Why won't they show us anything?!!" to "I hope they don't show us anymore/they're spoiling everything"

It feels like just yesterday we were on the former~

The 2nd best part of the prerelease game cycle.

From "Why won't they show us anything?!!" to "I hope they don't show us anymore/they're spoiling everything"

It feels like just yesterday we were on the former~

What can I say? It doesn't take a whole lot to satisfy me.

There is an interview with Ohmori and Kazumasa about the games.

Junichi Masuda in in charge of fully supervising the game.

Game Freak was greatly relieved to learn that Z-Moves were well-received by fans.

For Sun & Moon, Game Freak worked on balancing bosses by making them beatable if players use proper strategies or suffer if they go in recklessly.

After completing work on Sun & Moon, the staff felt that there was still more they could do in the Alola region.

The reason they’re releasing Pokémon Ultra Sun and Pokémon Ultra Moon is to offer players some variety before the current image they get stuck with the same image of Alola.

The story isn’t a “sequel.” It’s a “story that has a little divergence” from Sun and Moon.

Characters from the “Ultra Expedition Team” make an appearance, and that’s where the story changes. They appear at the opening of the game, so you’ll be able to start the game with excitement.

On top of a different main story from Sun & Moon, there’s an additional new episode after entering the Hall of Fame. Game Freak teases that those who are looking at it as what Platinum was to Diamond and Pearl, can expect an even more ultra huge change coming.

The Ultra Expedition Team arrived from another world through an Ultra Wormhole. A new element is being prepared that will have the protagonist and company dive into the Ultra Wormhole and visit all kinds of different worlds.

Pokémon will be much easier to collect and train compared to Sun and Moon.

Using the “Ultra Warp Ride” to travel to other worlds, you’ll even get to visit a world with Legendary Pokémon. For example, you can meet and catch Mewtwo. That’s all Game Freak has to say about that for now and they’ll leave it to your imagination whether we’ll get to meet other Legendary Pokémon.

If we put it simply as far as story volume goes, the addition of Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon should about double the current story volume for the Sun & Moon generation.
The bolded parts look like hyperbole to me, but the post-game episode could constitute as doubling the story. I just expect it to be a more engaging version of the Anabel episode.

Actions speak louder than words.

Back
Top Bottom