• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

US/UM Trailers and News Discussion

The interviewer(s) told them what the appeal of DexNav is, and neither Ohmori nor Iwao had a good answer for it. The interviewer also says that they found Festival confusing and didn't understand its purpose. I like them, they're not afraid to say what needs to be said.

I kind of got the same impression from the Nintendo Life interview (was this posted here yet? If not here you go), where they asked a lot of good questions regarding the sequel vs. third version controversy and the lack of excitement behind these games and Ohmori and Iwao mainly just gave generic non-answers. Really shows how out of touch they've become, I'm not sure they expected this kind of reaction and didn't seem all that prepared to answer the questions.

Figured out I should copypaste my post in this thread so it could reach everyone
---
So well, a spanish website also had an interview with Iwao and Ohmori, but something that I would highlight about that interview is that they mention a gym-like feature (the rumoured Gymulator), I translated the entire thing in this reddit post :p

For those TLDR fans out there, I will wrap it i spoilers cause they just went ham in details for that interview:
-URS Tried to control Necrozma in the past, and he replied by destroying their light.
-Looks like the ambiguity of Necrozma's morals is because URS acts differently in each game. One of the pairs want to control it, the other defeat it. This reminds me A LOT of Digimon Tris recent OVA and the struggle of what to do with Meicoonmon.
-Maile City is Gym Like, but not a gym. I think I got this right in understanding the quote. If Ryuki built a trick house but with Gym Layouts, consider me a happy consumer. A very, very, happy consumer.
-Hau and Lillie are gonna be different from what we saw in SM. I'm expecting Hau with the stronger starter, and perhaps Lillie with the weakness.
-They realize the older base wants harder games, but they need newcomers to not be alienated. Didn't stop em from ramping up the difficulty slightly in USUM. This excites me most because SM already had some Unova Tier difficulty after the midpoint, if they manage to go further back, then I am already sweating.
-Despite not being sequels, they wanted and made the story different enough to be seen as entirely new games. I like that tbh, its Emerald or Platinum but with enough story changes that you aren't gonna be saying been there done that. Also looks like to alleviate that they put everything and the kitchen sink in terms of gameplay and new content to justify the purchase after playing SM. I believe them on this point.
And a non spoiler point:
-Pokemon Switch is gonna be built considering what technologies the consumer base are interested in, so open world isn't happening, but they realize they are gonna need to build a console level game. Or that is what can be implied from all their interviews. Basically, starting with USUM, Pokemon is back baby.

I was very happy to read that USUM will be more difficult than SM. I don't think a new player can ever really have a hard time advancing-there's always Pokemon with type advantages around for story imposed challenges, and you can potentially get stronger Pokemon through Wonder Trade or the GTS. And that's not even mentioning the beneficial effects of Pokemon Refresh, the fact that over leveling is a thing and that the player is never restricted to limited parties like 90% of in game opponents.

For those TLDR fans out there, I will wrap it i spoilers cause they just went ham in details for that interview:
Thank you very much for the tldr (I'm bad at them), but yeah, based on the quote, seems like Ryuuki made a Gym simulator or something like, I hope it's this way!

I don't know why they are so averse to putting difficulty modes back in. That would be a move in the right direction to solve the problem of trying to please both kids/newcomers and older players at the same time. And many other games come with it as standard.

Sure, you have things like not using Set over Switch, or using EXP Share and Refresh boosts, to make it the "easy" mode, but even if you ignore those you still have a lot of NPCs with silly movesets or not using held items - things like healing/type resist berries, all the other battle items (which are a huge part of the game that mostly go ignored in the playthrough) when they could be. Of course the AI might still do dumb things, but let's not talk about that :p

I don't know why they are so averse to putting difficulty modes back in. That would be a move in the right direction to solve the problem of trying to please both kids/newcomers and older players at the same time. And many other games come with it as standard.
I mean, these are the same people that seemed to miss the main appeal of DexNav, something they themselves created. They just seem only selectively aware of what fans want or need.

I mean, these are the same people that seemed to miss the main appeal of DexNav, something they themselves created. They just seem only selectively aware of what fans want or need.
I'm gonna 100% bet that it's because of the criticism it got...and rather than thinking "oh maybe its because difficulty modes shouldn't be version exclusive and should be available from the start!" they thought "nobody wants this!"

I'm gonna 100% bet that it's because of the criticism it got...and rather than thinking "oh maybe its because difficulty modes shouldn't be version exclusive and should be available from the start!" they thought "nobody wants this!"
That is most likely what they thought. It seem to me that Japanese developers tend to look at certain criticisms differently from Western developers, and I don't just see this criticism misunderstanding happen with Pokémon. I legitimately think this has more to do with cultural barriers between the East and the West than anything else at this moment in time.

Last edited:
It just been revealed that Team Rocket is going to appear in Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon. Looks like more crazy things are going to happen, and Alola will become tangled under all of these people doing their thing. This is also the first time we get to see Giovanni in action since Heart Gold and Sole Silver.
Serebii said:
The download card for Pokémon Ultra Sun & Ultra Moon has confirmed that Team Rocket are to be in the games,. At present we don't have further information, just an image of them in battle with half the name cut off and an image of their headquarters.
uscard.jpg
umcard.jpg

It just been revealed that Team Rocket is going to appear in Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon. Looks like more crazy things are going to happen, and Alola will become tangled under all of these people doing their thing. This is also the first time we get to see Giovanni in action since Heart Gold and Sole Silver.

uscard.jpg
umcard.jpg

So what happened with the splashing sounds at the end of the Celebi event in HGSS? Did he not jump off the cliff?

So what happened with the splashing sounds at the end of the Celebi event in HGSS? Did he not jump off the cliff?
I don't think that Giovanni would be able to swim from Johto all the way to Alola. I think he went to shore somewhere in or around Johto and stayed hidden for all these years until now.

Or he could be the Giovanni of an alternate universe where he did accomplish his goal because we (our character) did not become a Trainer, somehow knew about UltraSpaces and all the stuff related aaaand he came to Alola.

That was more likely static that came from the radio in Giovanni's room. The radio immediately goes off right after it. And if you take the PWT of BW2 into canon, we already knew he was fine.

And even if one did think it was a splash instead of radio static, jumping into water =/= death

Gio can probably swim, I know he specializes in Ground types but it’s not him who’s weak to water...

lmao if it was actually the sound of him falling into an Ultrawormhole that opened up beneath him :ROFLMAO:

And even if one did think it was a splash instead of radio static, jumping into water =/= death

Gio can probably swim, I know he specializes in Ground types but it’s not him who’s weak to water...

lmao if it was actually the sound of him falling into an Ultrawormhole that opened up beneath him :ROFLMAO:
Probably Mohn's experiments resulted in an Ultrawormhole in Kanto XD

A little recap of the Celebi event in HGSS so those who never experienced it won't feel lost in the speculation.

Back
Top Bottom