• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

US/UM Trailers and News Discussion

Hi! Can someone give me a rundown of the discussion so far so I can join in?

Most speculation/discussion at the moment is about what will be featured in tomorrow's trailer, for which we received the date ahead of time unlike most previous USM trailers and is also being hyped up by Ohmori. It's pretty much expected that Rainbow Rocket will be showcased in some capacity tomorrow, since they were revealed a while back in the download cards and were officially acknowledged this morning by the official Japanese twitter account. I think a lot of people, myself included, are also expecting a Mimikyu Z-Move, which was confirmed to exist due to merchandise but hasn't been officially acknowledged yet.

Most speculation/discussion at the moment is about what will be featured in tomorrow's trailer, for which we received the date ahead of time unlike most previous USM trailers and is also being hyped up by Ohmori. It's pretty much expected that Rainbow Rocket will be showcased in some capacity tomorrow, since they were revealed a while back in the download cards and were officially acknowledged this morning by the official Japanese twitter account. I think a lot of people, myself included, are also expecting a Mimikyu Z-Move, which was confirmed to exist due to merchandise but hasn't been officially acknowledged yet.
Why are we calling team rocket rainbow rocket?

Why are we calling team rocket rainbow rocket?

Several of the most credible leaks we've gotten this season describe a group of returning villains (with emphasis on Rocket) that have a rainbow theme. (For what it's worth, Sun and Moon were codenamed Rainbow before being announced, and Necrozma's eyes and the symbol on the Japanese logos also have a rainbow motif).

0536710b73eaace7a46098077f5c8f3eecf8a661_hq.jpg

ultramoonjplogo.jpg

You can read about the leaks in the OP here: Rumours/Fakes/Leaks Discussion Thread (V2)

Of particular interest are "USUM Wishlist" which mentions Giovanni and other bad guys returning (and has gotten miscellaneous other things right like new UBs), "Chinese Leak 2.0" which mentions a group called Rainbow that includes some old characters, and "Rainbow Rocket Leak" which provides the most info about RR. (unfortunately, the OP of the thread doesn't have fully updated info on what's been proven true and false for all the relevant leaks at the moment, but those three leaks are generally assumed to be credible)

Also, Team Rocket appears in battle with a rainbow background and the Rs on their uniforms are now colored in a rainbow gradient instead of a solid red.

DNiQ8PbWAAAzgWt.jpg

Several of the most credible leaks we've gotten this season describe a group of returning villains (with emphasis on Rocket) that have a rainbow theme. (For what it's worth, Sun and Moon were codenamed Rainbow before being announced, and Necrozma's eyes and the symbol on the Japanese logos also have a rainbow motif).

0536710b73eaace7a46098077f5c8f3eecf8a661_hq.jpg

ultramoonjplogo.jpg

You can read about the leaks in the OP here: Rumours/Fakes/Leaks Discussion Thread (V2)

Of particular interest are "USUM Wishlist" which mentions Giovanni and other bad guys returning (and has gotten miscellaneous other things right like new UBs), "Chinese Leak 2.0" which mentions a group called Rainbow that includes some old characters, and "Rainbow Rocket Leak" which provides the most info about RR. (unfortunately, the OP of the thread doesn't have fully updated info on what's been proven true and false for all the relevant leaks at the moment, but those three leaks are generally assumed to be credible)

Also, Team Rocket appears in battle with a rainbow background and the Rs on their uniforms are now colored in a rainbow gradient instead of a solid red.

DNiQ8PbWAAAzgWt.jpg
Huh. Well while they may be evil at least there for gay marriage. I'm kidding of course they probably have nothing to do with gay marriage.

And in a more serious vein: if this is true than great! I've been wondering where the heck Giovanni ran away too since I first learned that he dissapeared after red and blue! We finally get closure! Giovanni just ran away too alola for vacation! Or something!

Could you please stop trying to force other people to like the game, and he does bring up valid points such as shallow/minor features that have been revealed so far.Lile you are not going to spend that long with the Photo Club or the Mantine Surf minigame.

Even if you don't really care about battle facilities, if one thing they have is depth and variety so it's something you can spend time on whilst not get bored of it immediately as well.

That's why the Frontier was great, even though Emerald/Platinum, especially the latter which is didn't add too much outside of it gave us something which had depth and actual content that we could spend time to conquer, which gives those games the replaybility value which the recent games lack.

IDK how many times I've said since these games were announced that I couldn't care less if you don't like or want them games. But the constant nonsensical complaining and calling a game you have never played and have no intent on playing lazy is absurd and I will continue to say it's absurd.

And I like Battle Facilities but not everyone does so you acting like they're some necessity that everyone finds fun and the highlight of the gameplay experience is flawed. We may not get bored, but others might. I may not play Photo Club long or at all but my sister might, it's completely up to the person, so I can't agree that every new feature they've shown so far is minor and shallow.

Again, they haven't really proven those kinds of statements yet. They've said things like the game being SM x2 and having more content than Emerald and Platinum, but those are PR statements that haven't definitively been proven. Their actions and what they've actually shown haven't quite backed that up. In what way is what we've seen double length? Do we know how long events like the Ultra Space/Ultra Recon Team plotlines or Rainbow Rocket are going to take? They could easily just be as long as the Distortion World event or the Delta Episode, we haven't seen how those things take anywhere near as long as SM's storyline, we've just seen snippets of a few extra events. Are we exploring new areas or re-exploring old ones to pad out that length? Is Ultra Space as big as Alola? The trailers do not definitively answer those questions, we know there's extra story but we don't really know how much, they're just claiming it's double length but that could easily be an exaggeration to make these games look better than they are. You should always take a statement like that with a grain of salt before you see actual content that proves it.

They haven't been proven false either, though? How will you know if you haven't played the games? They've shown a good amount for me to conclude that the game does appear that it will have a longer story. Do I know that for sure? No~ But I have no reason to believe that it's definitely not true, either. If you consider it bad to assume those statements true, then it's honestly equally as bad to automatically assume it's false without having played it, too.

They haven't been proven false either, though? How will you know if you haven't played the games? They've shown a good amount for me to conclude that the game does appear that it will have a longer story. Do I know that for sure? No~ But I have no reason to believe that it's definitely not true, either. If you consider it bad to assume those statements true, then it's honestly equally as bad to automatically assume it's false without having played it, too.

The problem is that not proving something one way or another doesn't sell this game to the skeptics. If you're not sure if a game is doing something or not, are you really going to buy it and risk wasting your money on a game you might not enjoy? Of course not, you buy a game because of its merits, because you like what the developer is actually offering, not because maybe it'll be what you want. So the people who want significant differences and content are probably going to default to not buying it until proven true.

Why not? ORAS made it clear that due the existence of multiple universes, every game is indeed canon. So why wouldn't this be canon?
Because it's possible that this Rainbow incarnation of Giovanni was never defeated in the first place. So this wouldn't be the return of the familiar character.

Hoping to see some new Alolan forms that aren't Gen 1 Pokemon. The least they could do is Johto Pokemon, considering its attached to Kanto. I'm a little ehh on Team Rocket's return still, considering it feels like more Gen 1 pandering and they could overshadow Team Skull, the Aether Foundation, and the Ultra Recon Squad.

I Ultra Don’t Think that the Rainbow Rocket stuff will be non-canonical. If it is what I think it is, then it will probably be a post-game episode like the Looker Bureau, Delta Episode, and UB Hunt (none of which are disputed canon*). It would seem like a waste for Rocket’s return to just be an inconsequential nostalgic runaround; they’ve never brought back an evil team in this manner before so it’s a fairly big step for them and it has some potential, even if that potential manifests as over-the-top craziness.

* I actually don’t think “canon” is a word that’s ever even been used within GF’s offices, but you know what I mean.

Anyway, time for me to lie down and slingshot my consciousness forward to trailer time. (y)

『ポケットモンスター ウルトラサン・ウルトラムーン』発売記念のグッズが、ポケモンセンターに登場! | ポケットモンスターオフィシャルサイト
Looks like Necrozma is actually the wormhole?

ポケットモンスター ウルトラサン・ウルトラムーン/サン・ムーン | コンテンツプリントサービス
Scroll all the way down, and look at that Entei artwork. New Battle Facility/Frontier incoming?

Bottom Screens
View: https://imgur.com/gallery/GJyxg

I like the more dynamic visor like battle screen, and it seems like the moves for Mantine Ride have medal tiers, probably with higher points for gold moves. Replayability is gonna be goid with this one me thinks.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom