• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Usage of 5 PP Moves in-game

Reaction score
Some moves have the lowest possible PP*, which is 5 PP without PP Ups. For example, there is Close Combat, Fire Blast, Sucker Punch and some good moves. The thing is, a lot of those moves are good moves, so of course you might want to find some use for them.

However there is the dilemma of that move running out of uses fast, and you might have more than one battle without the aid of the Pokemon Centre. Another thing is, PP restoring items are not for sale. The closest you can get to consistently restocking these is the Leppa Berry, which as a Berry, can be regrown for more.

Personally, when it comes to in-game stuff, I tend to avoid moves with 5 PP because it runs out of uses really quickly (which can be a disadvantage in the Elite Four), and there is not a situation where they are generally preferable to other moves with more PP, such as Flamethrower's higher PP count compared to Fire Blast.

Question time: in-game wise, do you use moves with 5 PP?

Thanks for reading.

*Technically, Sketch is a 1 PP move, but since only one Pokemon can learn it and is not permanent, it doesn't count.

Personally, when it comes to in-game stuff, I tend to avoid moves with 5 PP because it runs out of uses really quickly (which can be a disadvantage in the Elite Four), and there is not a situation where they are generally preferable to other moves with more PP, such as Flamethrower's higher PP count compared to Fire Blast.

Well if it's a TM, can't you just replace it with another TM, then use it again, restoring the PP to max?

Well if it's a TM, can't you just replace it with another TM, then use it again, restoring the PP to max?

Not anymore. The PP won't restore.

As for me, I use Close Combat and Destiny Bond fairly often.

I do use those moves, but I always try to give them 8 PP

And I make sure to have plenty of Leppa Berries on me when I go do something which means that I'm not gonna be able to visit a Pokécenter for a while

I do use those moves, but I always try to give them 8 PP

I do this as well. Also the only 5 PP move I use regularly is Close Combat (Mega Lucario + Close Combat = goodbye anything that doesn't resist) but since I'll only use that during Gym Leaders / E4 / Champ only having 8 PP is usually good enough.

For me, it isn't the fact that a lot of these moves have low PP, rather that they have low accuracy. In the case of Fire Blast VS Flamethrower, it's better to go with the one with better accuracy, in my eyes, even though Fire Blast is much stronger. But if it's a move like Close Combat, I'd of course use it regardless because it has good accuracy and power.

I use them quite often and tend to buy them from stores whenever I get the chance if they'll be useful for one of my Pokemon, but usually my issue is most of them having low accuracy. In OR, I bought the Blizzard TM for my Sealeo, but since I knew it would get Hail I didn't have much of an issue. Usually for another Pokemon that doesn't have a way to boost the accuracy, like my Infernape's Fire Blast in Platinum, I'll just have another strong move of the same type just in case. Usually I'll also raise the PP, but sometimes I just don't get around to it or don't think it's necessary.

Yep, I use them all the time. Just use your Ethers or Leppa Berries when the PP gets low, that's what they're for. In games where berries are easy to grow, you pretty much never have to worry about PP again.

I always used to end up with a stockpile of Ethers and Elixers at the end of the game anyway, so now I don't hesitate to use them.

The biggest problem with 5 PP moves that most of them are fairly inaccurate. Fire Blast, Blizzard, Thunder, Focus Blast, Head Smash, Stone Edge, the Elemental Hyper Beams, they're all low in both the PP and accuracy. So I generally opt out of them for moves that are more accurate, even if it costs me power. Because what's power if it doesn't hit the mark? Moves like Close Combat, however, are very useful, since they don't have the accuracy problem, so it's best to try to maximize them as much as possible. Luckily, thanks to Wonder Trades, obtaining PP Ups/Maxes are much easier now, and Leppa Berries can grow like weeds when properly tended to, so there are plenty of options out there for keeping those moves at full power. But when it comes to 5 PP moves, I do whatever I can to maximize them, but only use ones that have at least 90% accuracy, as, again, what's the point of that power when it misses half the time.

I do use them quite often if they're decent, like Water Spout or Close Combat as they're powerful and such and I usually have Leppa berries on me anyway.

I can really only think of Close Combat after gen 3, when I was old enough to actually realise why you would go for weaker moves and etc.

But yeah you just use PP ups to get a few more and you could give a secondary move of the same type to use the main one a little less.

I strongly prefer the use of 10-15 PP moves over 5 PP in story mode, as most pokemon are easy to sweep from random trainer battles and even most gym leader battles. I had no trouble sweeping the elite four with ice beam, flamethrower, energy ball and scald. Those are great coverage moves and will basically sweep any story mode pokemon. Scald is also great for the chance of the burn and high power. Flamethrower is weaker than fire blast, but it is still an amazing move at base 95 power, with STAB if from a fire type. For wifi battles i keep maybe 1 5 PP move for power coverage in a pinch. For example, i keep fire blast on my houndoom just in case my dark pulse fails. He is choice spec, so i usually stick with dark pulse and beat up (Such an underrated move). For the elite for, i highly recommend the moves about with better PP than 5, leppa berries just for back up.

I forgot to add this, but running low on PP isn't really an issue anymore even if you don't have items as long as the battle isn't too lengthy.

Use the PP O-power on yourself if you're too far from a pokecenter or something.

First thing that I did with my Leppa berries in ORAS was plant all of them. Now I have 45 berries and counting. PP won't be much of an issue for me.
And I rarely use 5 PP moves anyways. The extra power isn't worth missing.

I dont know i never really use those moves much, usually their low pp isn't their only issue its mainly their accuracy for me

Doesn't matter how low the PP is. To me, it's about if I need to use it for coverage, and how well it will fit with my other Pokémon's movesets.

Most of the time, I stick to low-power variants like Flamethrower or Ice Beam instead of their 5-PP versions. Not only do they often have twice or three times the PP, but they also tend to have good accuracy. I'd use a lot of those 5-PP moves more often if they didn't let me down so frequently by missing.

However, excellent, strong, and reliable moves like Close Combat get a 3-PP Up boost.

Like many have already said, if i feel the move is worthy i'll boost the PP to 8. Why bother using PPups on moves that have more than 10PP anyway? I accidentally did give a ppup to the wong move on my Spiritomb while boosting it's Ominous wind and Sucker punch, and that was in gen IV where they weren't as readily available (oops!) Gen V onward made it so much easier to get PPups.

EDIT: The obvious exception here would be Trump card, which works better the fewer PP remain. Yet another example in Pokemon of risk vs reward.

Last edited:
I almost always prefer to use moves with lower power but higher accuracy and PP. I don't like fire blast because it can't reliably hit as often as flamethrower.

It depends, really.

I'll mostly use higher PP moves with less power during the game, as I'm so overleveled I can demolish anything at that point. But if the situation calls for it, I'll use it if need be. I have enough Leppa berries to restore my Pokemon post battle anyway.

Please note: The thread is from 9 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom