• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

DISCUSSION: Using Pokemon as Characterization

Steel_Justice

Forged in Combat
Reaction score
I was surfing through TV Tropes like the addict I am :bulbaLol: and I recently came across a trope I haven't seen before. It's called "Mons as Characterization". In a nutshell it's how a character's choice of or what mons they possess say about their character. An individual mon's personality can also say a lot about the owner if their natures are similar.

Ash obviously has an entry in the anime section, as do many other characters. His section describes how Pikachu is headstrong and defiant like he was at the start of his journey and how many of his big battlers like Charizard have battle hungry and challenge seeking tendencies like he does.

Misty's choice of Water type Pokemon characterize her as someone who loves Water types. Afterall, who would run around trying to make a mono-water team if they didn't love the type?

May's Torchic starts out clumsy and unsure of itself like May does and as it grows into Combusken and gains strength and confidence, so does May.

Now my question is: How have some of you used a character's choice of Pokemon to characterize, imply things about or to symbolize something about your characters? Were you aware of what their Pokemon say about them when making their teams? And what do their Pokemon say about their owners when analyzed for what they represent?

Back
Top Bottom