• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Using the word "gay" and other derogatory language

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow, the trolls need to reread the rules, if they want a chance at being successful. The word 'gay' is only infractable if you don't stop after someone asks you to.

While on a personal level I ultimately do not care (personal as in regarding myself as a lesbian, not that I don't care about the issue), I can see how that use of the word is really that bad.
It has been explained before, but basically it is blatantly saying that gay = bad. I hear people saying they don't mean it in "such a way", but I don't know what they mean with "such a way"-- That they aren't saying the item is homosexual? Well obviously. That isn't the problem. The problem is saying it to equate bad. Which merely reinforces it being bad. It's not that saying it is offensive, it's it replacing bad what's offensive.

To put it in perspective (and excuse the language): To say that something is shit is because shit is obviously a bad and unwanted thing. Saying that something is gay "and not in such a way" simply follows the same logic. And while you probably don't support that or don't even think about it, it reinforces that statment and the overall homophobia society has grown to.

Maybe this'll knock some sense into the obliviants. Although, I know a homosexual who uses 'gay' to mean 'bad' all the time, but if it offends other people, it must be stopped.

'gay' meaning 'happy' ftw

It has been explained before, but basically it is blatantly saying that gay = bad. I hear people saying they don't mean it in "such a way", but I don't know what they mean with "such a way"-- That they aren't saying the item is homosexual? Well obviously. That isn't the problem. The problem is saying it to equate bad. Which merely reinforces it being bad. It's not that saying it is offensive, it's it replacing bad what's offensive.

Most people's argument towards using 'gay' in that context is that it's being used as a different word entirely. Similar to live, which has quite a few different meanings. "The TV programme is live", "He likes to live", "That wire is live". Different contexts give it different meaning.

However, most people's counter to that is that although it's now being taken to have a different meaning, its origin is probably that it did start as meaning gay is bad, because homosexual is bad.

I probably haven't put that clearly... but yeah.

People, it's a word. If you're offended then you take life too seriously.

This. It's a word. Like Retard is an actual term, but has evolved to be derogatory.
And Midget is a medical term.

THEY ARE WORDS!

I'd like to ask everyone that, instead of using the word gay in the context that this thread is talking about, we use the word 'Alaska'.

For example, 'That movie was so Alaska.'

Obviously, Alaska is my name. Alaska is a state. And now it is a word. This all depends on something called 'context'. I can differentiate between when someone is talking about me or the state. Now I'll be able to tell when someone is referring to me, the state, or this new word. Maybe if people who were concerned about the derogatory use of the word 'gay' could differentiate between different meanings, we would all be a little better off. Now obviously, someone can use the word gay in such a way that it IS derogatory and actually referring to people who are LGBT. However, for the most part, that is not the case. I'd also like to state that I support equal rights for anyone, no matter their race/religion/sexual orientation. Therefore, as a white person, I'd also like to let you know, you can all use the word 'Cracka' in my presence, as you're all my crackas.

Wow, that was long. This post is pretty Alaska.

If it doesn't offend you, power to you, if it offend others, it's not for you to decide it shouldn't be offensive.

This goes for everyone else, by the way. You have no place determining what other people should or shouldn't be finding offensive.

What you can (and should) do is try and be civil to others, and that involves accounting for what offends them, not what offends you.

I'm offended by the word Blacks. In all honesty, THAT IS OUR WORD. You shouldn't have people going around saying "Oh that black guy!" It's not right. Also a lot of other words. Ban one, gotta ban em all POKEMON! Sorry habit.........

No.

And by the way trying to mock what offend people as you're quite clearly doing (yes, we're going to look at, oh, say, what posts you pressed "like" on and things like that in trying to determine if we should take action on something. Surprise, surprise...)?

That falls under baiting. Which is banned and infractable, for a nice 5 point.

No.

And by the way trying to mock what offend people as you're quite clearly doing (yes, we're going to look at, oh, say, what posts you pressed "like" on and things like that in trying to determine if we should take action on something. Surprise, surprise...) falls under flaming and baiting. Which is banned and infractable.

He's not 'mocking' anything, he's trying to make a point. Gay isn't that bad of a word. In fact, it used to be the NICE word for identifying someone who is gay. It might still be, I have no idea what's politically correct anymore. Just like how the word 'negro' used to be the politically correct term for people of African American descent. Words change and how they're interpreted changes. If someone is calling someone gay in a manner that is truly offensive, than they should be punished, but it seems like this new policy is pretty wishy washy and will only limit our freedom of speech. Words from other people don't matter. It's YOUR words and actions that define you. If someone else labels you in a way that you're not comfortable with, then you have the freedom to break out of that label. We have been given the gift to live in a society where we can be who we want to be. Words can't change that.

Well this is rather homosexual... I came to the internet to escape the stupidity of Tennessee =(

Over the past few months, the Bulbagarden administrators have grown increasingly concerned with the way several forum members associate the word "gay" with "bad things" (eg, "That film was so gay" to describe a bad movie). We feel strongly concerned about how it makes other members of Bulbagarden (of the lesbian/gay/bisexual/transgender community especially) feel about their place on Bulbagarden.

At the same time, as a forum where even swearwords are not banned, we remained strongly opposed to simply banning the use of this or that word, when that use is meant harmlessly.

As such, we have decided on the following policy:

1. If someone is making you feel uncomfortable with the way they call things "gay" or anything else, you should tell them. Asking them to stop because they make you feel uncomfortable will not be treated as minimodding, or as flaming and baiting, so long as you do it in a relatively polite way.

2. If the staff feels that your use of the word gay (or anything else) is making our other users feel too uncomfortable, we will ask you to stop. Continuing after we ask you to stop may result in an inappropriate content infraction

Note, of course, that in all situations, trying to insult or provoke another user will result in a "flaming and baiting" infraction (which may be severe).

To reiterate. There really should be no arguments on this, the staff is not taking away your right to use the word. I think Figment was pretty clear one the new policy, so I really see no reason to continue arguing or debating it.

OH! So I can say it. Well that wasted a chunk of my mental capabilities. GO AMERICA!

To reiterate. There really should be no arguments on this, the staff is not taking away your right to use the word. I think Figment was pretty clear one the new policy, so I really see no reason to continue arguing or debating it.

Ah. Then I was mistaken. Thank you very much for your time and response.

*bows*

How is hurting peoples feelings with words a new policy? @_@

Just what was the point of this entire thread then?

Just so we're clear:

You can still use gay to mean "someone who is homosexual". That use, we have no problem with, and will not punish.

The use we're concerned with is when people use it to mean "something I didn't like" or "something bad. This si because it associate gay (which for a lot of people means homosexual) with a bad thing.

Even then we're not banning every use. The only time you will be infracted for this is if a mod feels that you are going too far, or being too repetitive about using "gay" to mean "bad", and ask you to stop.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom