• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Using the word "gay" and other derogatory language

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is wrong, getting infracted for someone using a word that someone else doesn't like. You're basically limiting free-speech on a forum that allows it in a sense. Just because some get mad at a word doesn't mean the rest have to suffer for their viewpoint, in my opinion you're forcing their viewpoint on us and last I checked heterosexuals are the majority. What words will be banned next? Black for favor of African-American? This is just the case of some people being overly-sensitive and being intolerant of my viewpoint.

If you guys infracted for someone calling someone gay in a derogatory manner then I feel it is justified if they've been warned. To stop the word from being used for the sake of it is wrong. As someone else said, I don't mad when someone uses the word negro or nigger, neither should those of the other communities. They need to grow up.​

Again. We are NOT INFRACTING PEOPLE FOR USING THE WORD GAY. We will step in if their usage of it is repetitively offensive and there are complaints, but without warning first.

We are NOT limiting free speech. We are NOT eliminating usage of the word. We are NOT forcing a viewpoint on anyone. This thread is NOT just about the word 'Gay', it IS also about OTHER DEROGATORY LANGUAGE. Do I need to quote the original message again?

I can see how it could offend the highly offend able and I would never refer to something as being 'gay' but I think people who do are just following the heard.
It's a turn of phrase these days unfortunately, a distasteful one but not necessarily malicious and I actually think it should be considered harmless for the most part. However if it really does upset some people then you should infract users for saying it.
I personally see swearing as a way of expressing yourself and should never be seen as harmful, but the whole 'gay' thing can be stopped. There's no need for it.

Again. We are NOT INFRACTING PEOPLE FOR USING THE WORD GAY. We will step in if their usage of it is repetitively offensive and there are complaints, but without warning first.

We are NOT limiting free speech. We are NOT eliminating usage of the word. We are NOT forcing a viewpoint on anyone. This thread is NOT just about the word 'Gay', it IS also about OTHER DEROGATORY LANGUAGE. Do I need to quote the original message again?
1. If someone is making you feel uncomfortable with the way they call things "gay" or anything else, you should tell them. Asking them to stop because they make you feel uncomfortable will not be treated as minimodding, or as flaming and baiting, so long as you do it in a relatively polite way.

2. If the staff feels that your use of the word gay (or anything else) is making our other users feel too uncomfortable, we will ask you to stop. Continuing after we ask you to stop may result in an inappropriate content infraction.

This is what my post refers too. And to be technical, as a policy it is forced upon people who chose to join.​

So wait..... how is this different? Flaming and harassing and such is already infraction worthy.

It's only has a derogatory meaning if the person interprets it that way. Words are words, nothing more. People will only be offended by it if they allow themselves to be.

*sigh* Typical reaction from internet denizens; bitching and sarcasm. Kodome ne.

I hate to sound like I'm mini-modding, but the simple thing is - whether you like it or not, this rule is in effect. That means you'll have to abide by them, or go elsewhere. Besides, there are other words you can use to describe things that are bad.

You're basically limiting free-speech

We cannot limit something that doesn't exist, and there is no right to free speech on private forums.

Oh no, double posting :O ;)

But no my point is how is this a new rule? It's already under the existing rules.

This is wrong, getting infracted for someone using a word that someone else doesn't like. You're basically limiting free-speech on a forum that allows it in a sense. Just because some get mad at a word doesn't mean the rest have to suffer for their viewpoint, in my opinion you're forcing their viewpoint on us and last I checked heterosexuals are the majority. What words will be banned next? Black for favor of African-American? This is just the case of some people being overly-sensitive and being intolerant of my viewpoint.

If you guys infracted for someone calling someone gay in a derogatory manner then I feel it is justified if they've been warned. To stop the word from being used for the sake of it is wrong. As someone else said, I don't mad when someone uses the word negro or nigger, neither should those of the other communities. They need to grow up.​

The First Amendment does not apply and never has applied to private spaces, such as Internet forums. It applies in public spaces, such as when you're protesting in front of the White House. A place where you have to sign an agreement in order to join, which requires a password to sign into an account? Not a public space.

Just like a newspaper is not required to print every letter they receive, Bulbagarden is not required to let you post whatever you want.

And as Figgy said before, you don't have the right to tell other people what they should and should not find offensive. You can't speak for or set rules for "those groups" because they have very different experiences and ways of looking at the world than you do.

*sigh* Typical reaction from internet denizens; bitching and sarcasm. Kodome ne.

I hate to sound like I'm mini-modding, but the simple thing is - whether you like it or not, this rule is in effect. That means you'll have to abide by them, or go elsewhere. Besides, there are other words you can use to describe things that are bad.

And although the use of the word itself isn't banned, It's Okay to be Takei.

Denizens?!?

Am I no longer allowed to post my opinion? I will abide by the rules, but that doesn't mean I have to like them. On top of that, why don't you learn how to be tolerant of other ideas?

To goodbye: I never said I had the right, I never used the first amendment. I also never said I had the right to say such words, I said I think its wrong to limit a word(s) in this manner.​

To goodbye: I never said I had the right, I never used the first amendment. I also never said I had the right to say such words, I said I think its wrong to limit a word(s) in this manner.

You were invoking "free speech," I was pointing out how your understanding of the concept of "free speech" is flawed. You don't have "free speech" here, and never have.

So if what you're looking for is a place to post whatever comes into your mind, this is not the place. However, Bulbagarden's rules are pretty civil. You can basically post what you want as long as you remain civil - as long as you don't insult people. That is basically what this rule is; you can say "gay" but try not to do it in ways that offend people.

It's basically "don't be mean." Why is that so hard or so difficult to grasp?

:eek:hdear:
Is it so hard to just use the word 'bad' instead of 'gay'?
The only difference between the to words is that 'gay' offends some poeple and 'bad' doesn,t.

Denizens?!?

Am I no longer allowed to post my opinion? I will abide by the rules, but that doesn't mean I have to like them. On top of that, why don't you learn how to be tolerant of other ideas?

To goodbye: I never said I had the right, I never used the first amendment. I also never said I had the right to say such words, I said I think its wrong to limit a word(s) in this manner.​
Denizens, because it's a cool word. Simples.

I am tolerant of other's opinions, I never said yours was wrong nor did I challenge it; I just said that rules are rules and despite how you feel about them, you have to abide by them. You've already voiced your disapproval, and going on about it won't do anything more.

You were invoking "free speech," I was pointing out how your understanding of the concept of "free speech" is flawed. You don't have "free speech" here, and never have.

Once again I never said I had it, I said it was like free-speech. Of course I understand it doesn't apply here, not all speech is warranted. I was using it to illustrate a point.​

The only difference between the to words is that 'gay' offends some poeple and 'bad' doesn,t.

"Bad" offends me though...

I've never used "gay" in a derogatory sense. I have never found my vocabulary wanting.
I don't understand either why people find it so hard to stop using ONE WORD in the name of maybe making people feel better?

I've never used "gay" in a derogatory sense. I have never found my vocabulary wanting.
I don't understand either why people find it so hard to stop using ONE WORD in the name of maybe making people feel better?

People are tired of all the bs political correctness. A offends B so we can't say that anymore. C offends D stop saying that. E hurts F's feelings don't do that.

People are tired of all the bs political correctness. A offends B so we can't say that anymore. C offends D stop saying that. E hurts F's feelings don't do that.

By "political correctness" do you mean "manners"? That is really all this is; just try not to piss people off unnecessary.

That shouldn't be controversial, no matter what kind of spin you put on it.

By "political correctness" do you mean "manners"? That is really all this is; just try not to piss people off unnecessary.

That shouldn't be controversial, no matter what kind of spin you put on it.

I find it interesting that you'd be talking about manners in the same post in which you talk about urinating.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom