• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Using the word "gay" and other derogatory language

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fig

Reaction score
Over the past few months, the Bulbagarden administrators have grown increasingly concerned with the way several forum members associate the word "gay" with "bad things" (eg, "That film was so gay" to describe a bad movie). We feel strongly concerned about how it makes other members of Bulbagarden (of the lesbian/gay/bisexual/transgender community especially) feel about their place on Bulbagarden.

At the same time, as a forum where even swearwords are not banned, we remained strongly opposed to simply banning the use of this or that word, when that use is meant harmlessly.

As such, we have decided on the following policy:

1. If someone is making you feel uncomfortable with the way they call things "gay" or anything else, you should tell them. Asking them to stop because they make you feel uncomfortable will not be treated as minimodding, or as flaming and baiting, so long as you do it in a relatively polite way.

2. If the staff feels that your use of the word gay (or anything else) is making our other users feel too uncomfortable, we will ask you to stop. Continuing after we ask you to stop may result in an inappropriate content infraction

Note, of course, that in all situations, trying to insult or provoke another user will result in a "flaming and baiting" infraction (which may be severe).

Last edited:
As the commercial says, you are stupid to use the word "gay" in such a manner.

It saddens me so much that you even have to make this announcement.

1. If someone is making you feel uncomfortable with the way they call things "gay" or anything else, you should tell them. Asking them to stop because they make you feel uncomfortable will not be treated as minimodding, or as flaming and baiting, so long as you do it in a relatively polite way.

For reference, calling people who do it "stupid" is not "a relatively polite way"

That's... depressing. Didn't expect to see such an announcement; hopefully that dies down once people read this.

People still use "gay" as an insult?

I'm actually glad the forum has taken notice of this issue; maybe now people will stop using it as an insult, at least on this forum...

I really hope that the communities EF mentioned above are happy to read this policy. No one shold be hurt for daring to be who they are.

For reference, calling people who do it "stupid" is not "a relatively polite way"

I was just quoting the commercial that aired during the Heat game. Sorry if that reference passed over.

The reference didn't; the fact that some users may decide to use that reference when telling others to stop using "gay" might decide to use the reference didn't, either.

I'm sorry if people take it very seriously when people are offended when the word "gay" is used. But that is more of a societal issue altogether than just a forum issue. I agree that instilling the new forum policy will help subdue inflammatory language such, but I don't think it is possible yet to exterminate the word because of it's tough grip on current society. I applaud Evil Figment for labeling the word as inflammatory language rather than banned language though, because it will help people acknowledge misuse of the word rather than force people into totally being suppressed from gaining any true meaning of it.

Last edited:
It won't change much to the world, but it will help here.

I remember when its main meaning was happiness. Times have changed.

As a homosexual person, I constantly remind people (sarcastically, mind you) that the world "gay" means happy and/or being attracted to the same sex. Just like "gay", the word "faggot" is quite commonly misconceived as well, so I have to constantly (and sarcastically) remind others of its true meaning.

It's a shame what the internet and online gaming can do to one's personality. In fact, gaming is probably one of the most influential forms of activities I know (for better or for worse). For example, I am 90% sure that my fast typing skills came from online gaming, and I am proud of that fact.

I have numerous homosexual friends, and they don't really mind how we use the word "gay", because they know that it has nothing to do with their sexuality, and that it's used in a completely different context and manner. People are entititled to their opinion, and if using "gay" in that way makes people uncomfortable, then something should be done, but the way I see it, people should realise that the use of the word has nothing to do with them in any way, and that it's just a generally used word for something bad. I understand how people may be offended by that, but I think people need to just lighten up a little bit.

Over the past few months, the Bulbagarden administrators have grown increasingly concerned with the way several forum members associate the word "gay" with "bad things" (eg, "That film was so gay" to describe a bad movie). We feel strongly concerned about how it makes other members of Bulbagarden (of the lesbian/gay/bisexual/transgender community especially) feel about their place on Bulbagarden.

At the same time, as a forum where even swearwords are not banned, we remained strongly opposed to simply banning the use of this or that word, when that use is meant harmlessly.

As such, we have decided on the following policy:

2. If the staff feels that your use of the word gay (or anything else) is making our other users feel too uncomfortable, we will ask you to stop. Continuing after we ask you to stop may result in an inappropriate content infraction

Note, of course, that in all situations, trying to insult or provoke another user will result in a "flaming and baiting" infraction (which may be severe).
Why was I told that "policing" this behavior would be unfeasible and a waste of time when I brought it up when I was staff?

Guys, don't take it peronally if someone says this around you. It's a stupid expression, of sorts, that has seeped in. I know it must be annoying but a lot of the people who say it have probablygrown up in that manner; not just being spiteful.

The word gay, is also an acronym used by the LGBT community. G.A.Y. = Good As You.

As a member of the LGBT community on these forums, I wholly support this policy decision. There have been numerous instances where I've been faced with users of this forum using the word gay in a disparaging manner. So I am extremely grateful that the administration team is taking action.

Guys, don't take it peronally if someone says this around you. It's a stupid expression, of sorts, that has seeped in. I know it must be annoying but a lot of the people who say it have probablygrown up in that manner; not just being spiteful.

While I don't take it personally, I do find the use of the word in that context to be extremely disrespectful and insulting. I make it a point to always correct the person making the comment whenever I can. The more people begin to see that the negative use of this word is frowned upon by others, the less likely they are to use it. It's a habit that should be broken.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom