• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

USUM Datamine Discussion

@Zeb it was a while ago but remember when I mentioned Lillie participating in the Battle Tree? Here's some confirmation:

Thank you so much for helping save my mother at Aether Paradise.[VAR 0114(0006)]
I’ve...actually been thinking... I became a Pokémon Trainer myself because I looked up to you so much, [VAR TRNAME(0000)]... but I still am not strong enough.[VAR 0114(0006)]
So I would really like the chance to learn more at your side.[VAR 0114(0006)]
[VAR TRNAME(0000)], I want— I want to be your partner at the Battle Tree! Would you maybe take me with you sometime?[VAR 0114(0006)]
I’d love that!
Maybe later
You’ve scouted as many Trainers as you can! Who would you like to remove from your list?
Wonderful! Then my Pokémon and I will lend you our strength however we can when you want to challenge the Battle Tree, [VAR TRNAME(0000)]![VAR 0114(0006)]
Of course... I will work to get even stronger, so that I can be a real support to you, [VAR TRNAME(0000)]![VAR 0114(0006)]
You chose not to scout Lillie.

Interesting. So we can expect her to have various teams then. I heard Giovanni was at the Battle Tree, but didn't hear of Lillie until you mentioned it.

@Zeb it was a while ago but remember when I mentioned Lillie participating in the Battle Tree? Here's some confirmation:

Thank you so much for helping save my mother at Aether Paradise.[VAR 0114(0006)]
I’ve...actually been thinking... I became a Pokémon Trainer myself because I looked up to you so much, [VAR TRNAME(0000)]... but I still am not strong enough.[VAR 0114(0006)]
So I would really like the chance to learn more at your side.[VAR 0114(0006)]
[VAR TRNAME(0000)], I want— I want to be your partner at the Battle Tree! Would you maybe take me with you sometime?[VAR 0114(0006)]
I’d love that!
Maybe later
You’ve scouted as many Trainers as you can! Who would you like to remove from your list?
Wonderful! Then my Pokémon and I will lend you our strength however we can when you want to challenge the Battle Tree, [VAR TRNAME(0000)]![VAR 0114(0006)]
Of course... I will work to get even stronger, so that I can be a real support to you, [VAR TRNAME(0000)]![VAR 0114(0006)]
You chose not to scout Lillie.
This is awesome news for me! I hope her team is great! :)

Opinions on moveset changes:
  • Disappointed that they didn't give Pyumukuku any offensive moves. I get that they wouldn't be that useful in the metagame, and the Pokemon is meant to be a passive player. But elemental punches and a Water move would have at least made it more playable in the main-game. Puke's one of the few Alolamons that I absolutely love, and I can't even use it outside of an RP.
  • Minior got Stealth Rock and Iron Head. Nice. Might use one of these on my meta Minior. Disappointed that they didn't add more Minior colors, though.
  • Mimikyu didn't get anything notable aside from Drain Punch and Pain Split. But that'll definitely add some much-needed spice to its dull moveset. The Totem(?) lost Surf? Huh?
  • Tapus didn't get Play Rough. :u
  • Surf isn't an tutor move for any of the Pikachu or Raichu. I heard that we could get a gift Pikachu with Surf, but that still sucks.
  • There sure are a lot of shitty moves that get distributed to a lot of Pokemon, even though I doubt I would ever use them. Lilligant can only use like three different Z-Move types, but at least it has Snore and Covet, which are such in-demand moves.
All that said, I'm glad to have Move Tutors back. They seem to be more accessible, too, since we can also get Battle Points from Mantine Surf. I look forward to playing with sets and going wild.

• Disappointed that they didn't give Pyumukuku any offensive moves. I get that they wouldn't be that useful in the metagame, and the Pokemon is meant to be a passive player. But elemental punches and a Water move would have at least made it more playable in the main-game. Puke's one of the few Alolamons that I absolutely love, and I can't even use it outside of an RP.

I used Pyukumuku on my Sun team and it was a god. Recover + the Taunt/Counter combo had NPCs in PIECES. They didn't know what had hit them. It didn't fall behind in levels either, it was pretty easy to train and is like level 70 in my Bank now.

I'd say I'm mostly content, aside from a few gripes. I was really expecting the new Gym building to be more involved... not PWT-level or anything, but still, more than just a one-off Trick Master room modeled after Surge's Gym...

And Giovanni's role in the story just flat-out sucks. Frankly, if that's the best he's got, then he deserves to play second fiddle to Ghetsis.

I also don't love that Poipole is given so late and that Type: Null is still a post-game gift. And I don't have very high hopes for being able to access Sensu Oricorio, Crabominable, or Vikavolt any earlier either, which would all be a shame.

And lastly, my form-collecting heart weeps at the seeming lack of availability for Original Color Magearna, the inexplicable meaninglessness of the Spiky-eared Pichu sprite in SM, and the epic tease of Eternally Beta'd Floette's new Dex entry. Maybe they'll finally give it to us 2996 years from now... :cry:
Yes that's true. When I saw the leaks about the gymulator I expected the old gymmies will be back but no such thing :(

Haven't read the story so can't comment about Gio and Dennis. Will check it out eventually.

The original color Magearna yeah, it is beautiful. Would love to have that in my collection too.

Yes that's true. When I saw the leaks about the gymulator I expected the old gymmies will be back but no such thing :(

Haven't read the story so can't comment about Gio and Dennis. Will check it out eventually.

The original color Magearna yeah, it is beautiful. Would love to have that in my collection too.
Yeah I got all hyped for nothing regarding that.....I wanted to at least see at least the Kanto ones like Misty, Brock, Surge, Eirika and Sabrina......:(

Hey Zeb....or anyone who can answer this but other then just knowing what 'mons get what MT and all.....is there any info stating which moves are at the different tutors by any chance?
Sorry if I have been a little bothersome

I used Pyukumuku on my Sun team and it was a god. Recover + the Taunt/Counter combo had NPCs in PIECES. They didn't know what had hit them. It didn't fall behind in levels either, it was pretty easy to train and is like level 70 in my Bank now.
Adding Toxic to that strat is how I play it. But my issue is that, even with these strategies, fight tend to be dull and repetitive. Being able to mix in some directly offensive attacks would make it more fun, imo.

I can't believe they added Lillie to the Battle Tree before my man Lance (n) Or...Anyone else, really. Roster looks almost exactly the same as before, unless I missed someone.

...'Expect more than Platinum' they said...

I'm just hoping they toned down the difficulty of the Battle Tree cause that was my biggest complaint of SuMo. It was just unfair for people who were more casual players and if Lillie can only be faced there, I'll be disappointed cause of the struggle it will take just to get a chance to battle Lillie.

After looking at what was added to the game (haven't looked at the story cause I don't want story spoilers), I have to admit I was a little bit disappointed. I might wait for more information on the Battle Agency but from what others have said, it looks like it's lacklustre, which is a shame seeing as 3rd versions usually have great battle facilities :/ (except Crystal, but it introduced facilities in the first place)

In my opinion the music is generally good but some of the evil team leader themes sound sort of unenergetic and boring (coughmaxiearchiecyruscough). They have nice parts but they are completely outdone by Ghetsis' and Lysandre's themes. And what on earth is that gym music for? And my heart almost broke when I saw "the Alola gym project has begun"... why is Game Freak pulling an ORAS? ;(

It's a shame I don't care for another Zygarde Cell quest, the totem stickers for the 'big pokemon', or the Alola photo club... sure, they are neat features but they don't appeal as much to me as they might to others. I just wish there was a more fleshed out battle facility like the PWT or Frontier, but then I guess Game Freak thinks that because kids can't be asked to use these sort of features fully so there isn't a point to adding them in. They didn't even add more old battle tree characters :( (although I heard Lillie is in it now which is sort of cool)

In the end the games are looking great for the story, and Rainbow Rocket of course, but after that I guess I won't be playing the game for long :(

Last edited:
I'm just hoping they toned down the difficulty of the Battle Tree cause that was my biggest complaint of SuMo. It was just unfair for people who were more casual players and if Lillie can only be faced there, I'll be disappointed cause of the struggle it will take just to get a chance to battle Lillie.
I know right want to battle her but if this is the only case I'm very disappointed hope it won't be hell to eventually get to her.

Hey Zeb....or anyone who can answer this but other then just knowing what 'mons get what MT and all.....is there any info stating which moves are at the different tutors by any chance?
Sorry if I have been a little bothersome

I don't think there's any information on that at the moment. Maybe the list is divided into 4, but that's just me guessing.

Looking through the game text files, it looks like we can get a Team Skull hat. Guess they noticed how popular the tank top was.

I'm hoping we can also get a Rainbow Rocket outfit, but I'm not holding my breath...

I don't think there's any information on that at the moment. Maybe the list is divided into 4, but that's just me guessing.

I'm hoping we can also get a Rainbow Rocket outfit, but I'm not holding my breath...
That'd be too good to be true...

Any word on available outfits for both trainers?

Back
Top Bottom