• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

USUM Datamine Discussion

Do we know if Mega Evolution is accessible pre-E4 this time?

Also are all the UBs obtainable pre-E4 or just Adhesive?

On one hand, you look at all this data, and realize only 2 new Pokemon are all they left for you to discover. The game is mostly the same, with little new gameplay but a whole lot of cool story things. On the other hand, I can't help but feel that beyond a slightly botched story, the games will feel more complete even without new completed areas, and it will still be as enjoyable if not more. 50 euros is gonna make me question my decisions, but I really liked everything I saw, even if minor.

Huh, so it seems we only fight Lillie once, and she has just a Level 60 Clefairy. No Alolan Ninetales signature Pokemon that she rescued as a Vulpix and nicknamed Snowy like in the anime.

What a shame, I didn’t expect Lillie to be the surprise Champion like everyone was saying, but I honestly thought that we would have a battle with her just before the E4 that would be sort of similar to the battle with Wally in ORAS.

Huh, so it seems we only fight Lillie once, and she has just a Level 60 Clefairy. No Alolan Ninetales signature Pokemon that she rescued as a Vulpix and nicknamed Snowy like in the anime.

What a shame, I didn’t expect Lillie to be the surprise Champion like everyone was saying, but I honestly thought that we would have a battle with her just before the E4 that would be sort of similar to the battle with Wally in ORAS.
Ikr. Hope her Battle Tree team is atleast worthy.

General comments...

Where do I start? Where do I begin?

1. Throat Chop is actually available from move tutor - wow. I suspect it'll definitely find a niche spot in many Dark-type Pokémon movesets to shut down all those Hyper Voice users that will also no doubt be making a comeback thanks to move tutor.

2. My favorite starter is getting Heavy Slam as a new Egg Move - heck to the yeah! And Grotle is obtainable via Island Scan, so even if the "Gym Simulator" rumors turn out to be false, I am definitely getting a Heavy Slam Torterra to put into Pokemon Bank for when a custom Gym feature does get implemented.

3. Kommo-o should be MUCH more useable on teams in USUM - in addition to that insane new Z-Move, I'm really glad that it not only is getting Close Combat, but also Drain Punch (via move tutor).

4. Ever since it was confirmed in a trailer, I was curious at to what Mina's Trial would end up being, so I couldn't help but take a peek at the story text to find out. I won't spoil her Trial for you guys, but I will say that a) it is definitely not at all what I was expecting it would be, and b) WHY is her Totem Pokémon not Comfey, the Posy Picker Pokémon???

5. No new Megas or Alolan Forms is a pretty big disappointment, but oh well...

6. No Togekiss line in the new Alola Pokedex - dang it, I was hoping we'd get a Togepi Egg from the Day Care this time around...

And that's about it for now. I'm sure I'll think of more things, and post them when I do.

Can't wait for November 17th...and I was one of those who was initially skeptical!
Random thoughts;
How/ when do you access the move tutors? If it’s at the battle tree, i won’t bother with it.
In all the sun/ moon games i played, i’ve never found a jangmo- o in the wild. All the ones i have, i got through wonder trade.

Random thoughts;
How/ when do you access the move tutors? If it’s at the battle tree, i won’t bother with it.
In all the sun/ moon games i played, i’ve never found a jangmo- o in the wild. All the ones i have, i got through wonder trade.
Jangmo in available in Vast Poni Canyon. It is in a clearing found by going inside a secret tunnel. And it still has a rare encounter rate. Sun and Moon in general had weird encounters.

Also Mantine Surf gives you points needed for Move Tutors. As to where it is, I would like to know as well.

Right?! Like come on GF you pushed her alot and that's it? I do like the choice at least it's based on her trademark Pokedoll she gives us mind you I know she'll still be great in the story but I hope the battle tree battle will be worth it!

Well, logically, Lillie is still only just starting out. It wouldn't make sense for her to have a full team right away. (That said, she mentions wanting to take on the island challenge eventually, and I'm going to go ahead and call her a filthy cheater for starting with a Lv60 Clefairy. :p)

I am interested to see what she uses for the Battle Tree. I'll accept that as a pseudo-canonical presentation of what her team is likely to end up as once she *does* become a more experienced Trainer.

I may be missing something, but I don't see how Lillie's role is that different this time. And the marketing didn't really imply otherwise.

Bruxish gets Aqua Tail and Liquidation as Move tutor moves? Sweet! I wish it got Zen Headbutt, though.

Speaking of tutors, when in is the story is it available?

Does the Mantine Surf give Battle Points to use with the move tutors or some other sort of points? Only asking, because I have about 3000 BP in my Pokemon Bank that serve no use because SM didn't have anything to really offer for BP.

Seems I may have been quick to judge about them not making Crabominable and magnetic field level-ups available earlier. I'm still a little sour about Type: Null being post-game (Poipole isn't though, which is nice), but I am reading that magnetic field evolutions now occur at Blush Mountain, and that there's an area of Mt. Lanakila with Lv30 encounters that we can access before Acerola's Trial.

Haven't found anything about Sensu Oricorio being available earlier, though.

These two Trainers seem very strange:

610 - Ultra Forest Kartenvoy
======
Pokemon: 1
Kartana (Lv. 48) (Nature: Serious) (Moves: (None)/(None)/(None)/(None)) IVs: 15/15/15/15/15/15 EVs: 0/0/0/0/0/0
======
611 - Ultra Forest Kartenvoy
======
Pokemon: 1
Kartana (Lv. 48) (Nature: Serious) (Moves: (None)/(None)/(None)/(None)) IVs: 15/15/15/15/15/15 EVs: 0/0/0/0/0/0

I had originally guessed that the Trainers in Kartana's Ultra Space would just be living paper constructs. Still weird to see it actually happen, with no moves on them or anything.

Last edited:
I am reading that magnetic field evolutions now occur at Blush Mountain, and that there's an area of Mt. Lanakila with Lv30 encounters that we can access before Acerola's Trial.

If that's true that will be a gamechanger for Ula Ula as it'll make so many things more accessible.

Alolan Sandshrew/Vulpix would be available before end-game. <3

Does Passimian and Oranguru actually call themselves in SOS instead of other pokemon or are their HAs still inaccessible?

With Vivillion added to the Alola Dex, are the wing patterns going to follow the same as then did for Gen 6? Was that seen in the data? Or do you think they'll pull a Deerling in Gen 6 and only have one form available?

EDIT: The Scatterbug family was added to Island Scan, not the Regional Alola Dex

With Vivillion added to the Alola Dex, are the wing patterns going to follow the same as then did for Gen 6? Was that seen in the data? Or do you think they'll pull a Deerling in Gen 6 and only have one form available?

Nevermind, I thought I saw Scatterbug, et al, in the Regional Dex

In SM it works exactly the same as Gen 6, so it'll definitely work the same way here.

In SM it works exactly the same as Gen 6, so it'll definitely work the same way here.

I was just curious. There's a few patterns I'd like to have for my Living Dex that I am short on, or have seen ridiculous asks in the GTS for (apparently people think Ocean and Monsoon patterns are super special).

Back
Top Bottom