• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

USUM Soft Resetting for Starter Stories

Reaction score
Alola everyone! I hope everyone is off to a good start in their Alolan journeys! Out of curiosity, is there anyone else who has been at the grind, soft resetting for their desired starter? For gender, nature or shiny reasons?

I've been trying for the past hour to get an Adamant or Jolly, male Rowlet. So far there's been no luck (n)
I've gotten 4 females (the latest one is Jolly! :mad:) and a bunch of Rash and Brave natured Rowlets...

Thank goodness the cut scene isn't as long as Sun & Moon's...

I've decided to pick Popplio for my Ultra Moon game and stick with whatever nature or IVs it has. But if you really want a jolly male Rowlet I have a level 1 for you if you like. I bred a lot of Rowlets so I can easily part with one of them.

• Staff
I've decided to pick Popplio for my Ultra Moon game and stick with whatever nature or IVs it has. But if you really want a jolly male Rowlet I have a level 1 for you if you like. I bred a lot of Rowlets so I can easily part with one of them.
Oh no it's fine. Thank you though. I would want the actual starter to have my desired nature rather than trading an egg or some thing in. And I was able to get an Adamant one last night, thus all is well :D

I spent basically all the time of consciousness I had after work on Friday trying to get a female rowlet. Not even caring about nature or anything. It sucked not getting past doing that. Yet any time I don't look for females I get them.

It took me around 5-6 soft resets to get a female Popplio, about around the same amount of soft resets I did in Sun and Moon. The nature and IVs didn't really matter.

I really wanted an Adamant Litten and got it in the first try! It was female too. Such good luck.
I'd never soft reset for a shiny though. That could take months

I was trying to reset for a Brave Natured Litten when I started, but after ten or twelve resets, I got a Neutral female. I said to heck with it and kept her. My hubby was not exactly happy about that; he was resetting for a female Popplio that day and having terrible luck! (He finally did get one, eventually.) :p

Normally I sometimes soft reset for female grass starters because of some tradition, but the first Rowlet I got was female with a Sassy nature. I figured that since it didn’t affect Attack, that it was a good nature. As a Decidueye, she survived a photon geyser from Ultra Necrozma at full health at level 55. I was worried about soft resetting as my 3DS’s L button is broken, but it all worked out in the end.

In Ultra Sun, I spent a goodly amount of time soft resetting for at least a DECENT nature for Hub the Rowlet (Bold and Modest came up the most, which is not good for an attacker like Rowlet). The really strange thing was... out of maybe... 20 (?) soft resets, at least 11 of them ended up with females. But since Hub (MegaMan) is male, I wanted to stick to that. Finally, after I was about to pull out my long hair, I settled for a Docile Nature (hey, Hub/MegaMan is rather docile and peace-loving, only getting fired up when it's NetBattle time or to protect his friends/brother, so it fits well enough), and I'm content enough with neutral natures when I have to use one, so it finally worked out. But other than the bad natures, the fact that more than half of my attempts ended up with females was strange. I mean, a 7:1 male:female ratio for starters, right? Then how did I end up with more girls than boys this time around? Weird how stuff like that plays out in my life.

In Ultra Sun, I spent a goodly amount of time soft resetting for at least a DECENT nature for Hub the Rowlet (Bold and Modest came up the most, which is not good for an attacker like Rowlet). The really strange thing was... out of maybe... 20 (?) soft resets, at least 11 of them ended up with females. But since Hub (MegaMan) is male, I wanted to stick to that. Finally, after I was about to pull out my long hair, I settled for a Docile Nature (hey, Hub/MegaMan is rather docile and peace-loving, only getting fired up when it's NetBattle time or to protect his friends/brother, so it fits well enough), and I'm content enough with neutral natures when I have to use one, so it finally worked out. But other than the bad natures, the fact that more than half of my attempts ended up with females was strange. I mean, a 7:1 male:female ratio for starters, right? Then how did I end up with more girls than boys this time around? Weird how stuff like that plays out in my life.

The same thing happened with me! I didn't get more females than male for my Rowlet, but I did get the most female starters ever in soft-resetting for a Nature. I was like, wow-I wish I was soft resetting for a female Popplio, because I would be good to go!

Just wanted to let you know that you were not alone in this experience.

In my case, I'm going with Rowlet. The story goes as follows:

Initial run: Male, -Attack, +Defense
1st reset: Male, neutral
2nd reset: Female, neutral

Now because the first one was a male (and the female had lower HP, unfortunately) I decided to reset again for a male and I get:

3rd reset: Female, +Defense, -Sp.Def

TWO FEMALES IN A ROW. Okay, guess the game wants me to have a female starter after all.

Also, is the following scripted(?) because Hau's Popplio turns out to be a female too!

I've decided to pick Popplio for my Ultra Moon game and stick with whatever nature or IVs it has. The nature and IVs didn't really matter.

I had to reset about 10-11 times to get a Female Rowlet. At least it wasnt as bad as trying to get a Female Litten in Sun. That was almost 13 soft resets plus all those damn cutscenes thrown in...

I soft reset like 30 times to get an attack boosting nature for my Litten

It took several tries to get that female Popplio.

...Not that it mattered too much in the long run. I wanted a female for breeding purposes, and the best offspring was male.

Please note: The thread is from 6 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom