• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Verity and her mother

Reaction score
It is listed on bulbapedia that Verity's mother is Cynthia in M20, but I have searched on Google for an official source, and there doesn't seem to be one.

I'd really like to know if it is actually officially confirmed, or if it is just implied.

Its highly implied. She's from Sinnoh; her mother is a well known trainer, and in the picture of her mother, she has her hairstyle though they don't show the face.

I wanna say it was highly implied as well. Though the clothes and her main Pokemon differ, her appearance heavily implied that Verity was her daughter. Kind of how Agatha was implied to be Ash's teacher in the alternate universe part where he saw the world without Pokemon.

Probably. She looks like her, but her hair colour is closer to Serena's.
Screenshot_2018-02-19-19-23-34.png

It's not official as far as I'm aware. But the picture that martianmister attached is good evidence for me! :D

Verity is from Sinnoh, meaning one of her parents at least is Sinnoh native. Seeing they showed that pic, we can assume its Cynthia... and since Cynthia doesn't have Empoleon (Since it isn't confirmed the Empoleon is hers and as far as we know, since the rest of her team isn't confirmed ), that can mean the Empoleon is from Verity's dad (And thus can be Crasher Wake, since he has Empoleon in the games).

I disagree her mother is Cynthia. For three reasons:
1) The hair color is different (Cynthia's hair is gold/yellow, the lady in Verity's smartphone photo is light brown).
2) The handheld pokemons are different.
3) Cynthia's home town is Celestic Town, if anyone still remember (Though I wouldn't deny the possibility of M20!Cynthia moved to Twinleaf upon marriage).

If anything, I would guess Verity's mother is the grownup Serena.

So I've looked around a bit and apparently it was confirmed on Oha Suta, in the same episode that confirmed the Pallet trainers to be Tierno and Orange Islands Marina (and this was conclusively proven, as they showed a picture of the original Tierno and Marina alongside the Pallet Trainers). Apparently it was only mentioned on this Oha Suta episode, if we have to believe the user who added it to Bulbapedia and several users on Serebiiforums (including Dephender, who I'm pretty sure we can trust).

From Serebiiforums:
Dephender said:
The Great Butler said:
I bet they never confirm who Makoto's mother is.
Oh, they did that too, but I thought that was pretty common knowledge so I didn't bother mentioning it.

Dephender said:
Maxim said:
So, as they confirmed that Cynthia is Verity's mother, did they show a picture of her from the movie? I'm very curious if she was shown in full, or just from the back, like the other cameos?
No, they didn't show a picture.

So I've looked around a bit and apparently it was confirmed on Oha Suta, in the same episode that confirmed the Pallet trainers to be Tierno and Orange Islands Marina (and this was conclusively proven, as they showed a picture of the original Tierno and Marina alongside the Pallet Trainers). Apparently it was only mentioned on this Oha Suta episode, if we have to believe the user who added it to Bulbapedia and several users on Serebiiforums (including Dephender, who I'm pretty sure we can trust).
Thank you for letting me know. I saw the thread on Serebiiforums, and there were some screenshots from Oha Suta. I don't know why Tierno was chosen as the person to take Charmander in Kanto, but eh, I guess Movie 20 was just meant to show tidbits of everything from every gen. I wish there was also a screenshot from Oha Suta which says that Cynthia is Verity's mother, though, for conclusive proof.

A thing about Verity I feel should be recalled.

pokemon-I-choose-you.jpg

Verity and Cynthia (and Sorrel)_share gray eyes. I wonder if that is a Sinnoh trait?

2: Cynthia's shown to have Pokemon that differ from her main team in game: see Glaceon, Eelektross, and Braviary. As she mentioned she once went a journey, her having a Gen 4 starter does make some sort of sense

3: Cynthia's hometown being Celestic is only confirmed in some, not all, continuities. She can live elsewhere.

4: You'd think Verity would have more fanfic appearances, but surprisingly she's sparse. My experiences in the depths of Harry Potter and Naruto's underbellies suggest that a daughter of a hot champion should be more common, and yet I only see one fic tagged with her on Archive, two on fanfiction (one of which is just some High School A.U, the other I wrote), and haven't noticed her tagged or mentioned elsewhere. Heck I've seen Cross show up more, and one of those involved him in a betrayal fic without the above two to yell at Ash with the main continuity cast.

I once joked about that happening. Joked.

Movie editor and director Kunihiko Yuyama has stated on more than one occasion that this woman isn't Cynthia. There's an undeniable resemblance so the possibility of her being a sister or some other close relative is definitely still out there, but I'd choose to believe the guys behind the movie over fanon assumptions.

I still think it was weird how there was so much Gen 4 promotion in Gen 7. I guess they wanted to "suprise" people by throwing a curve ball and make yet another Gen 1 remake but in hindsight it just feels like an unecessary tease.

And I'm not even the biggest Sinnoh fan so I can imagine that some people who grew up with Gen 4 and really looked forward to a remake might have been disappointed.

I still think it was weird how there was so much Gen 4 promotion in Gen 7. I guess they wanted to "suprise" people by throwing a curve ball and make yet another Gen 1 remake but in hindsight it just feels like an unecessary tease.

And I'm not even the biggest Sinnoh fan so I can imagine that some people who grew up with Gen 4 and really looked forward to a remake might have been disappointed.

We always had the remakes in new consoles:
Gen 1 remake - GBA
Gen 2 remake - DS
Gen 3 remake - 3DS

So a gen 4 remake coming in switch is ok, and we can hope the gen 5 remake comes in another console as well.

Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom