• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

VG Weekly Poll #1: Was Black and White a Step in the Right Direction?

Was Black and White a step in the right direction?

• Total voters

Ivysaur

SoFloFoSho
Reaction score
Welcome to the first installment in the Video Games Forum's new weekly series of polls!

Centered around the Pokemon series of video games, these polls will be based on the various different aspects of the popular video game franchise. Every Friday, a Video Games staff member will post a new poll that'll remained stickied up on top of the forum. Suggestions for polls and questions can be sent to Life Alert, and they could possibly used for new polls (credit will be given, of course).

With that out of the way, here is the poll: Was Black and White a Step in the Right Direction? Do you feel that the additions, modifications, and refinements made in the first two Fifth Generation games were for the better, or for the worse?

Thank you for voting!

-The Video Games Forum Staff

The only major irk I had with Black and White was the linearity of Unova, although I commend them for allowing you to completely finish the main story only using one HM. Everything else was a step forward.

yes expect if you want to do a full pokedex and you don't have a past game/online

"A Step in the Right Direction" as in?

I think story-wise, it was a step in the right direction. In Pokémon, we've had the "big bad boss" but we've never really had an antagonist that interests the player (other than fanboys/fangirls, who 1 second of screen-time appears as 2 years). N was definitely what the franchise needed. However, in terms of controls etc, I felt like BW was a step back from HGSS, which had the awesome use of the touch screen (In BW, we only have the C-Gear for that...). The "No old Pokémon before you cross the bridge" thing was a fantastic idea though, and I'll be honest, I enjoy battling with Unova Pokémon more than I do with old Pokémon.

For people saying the game is too linear...try playing Ranger: Guardian Signs. The amount of back-tracking there is a real pain in the bum.

Yes,B/W were a step forward from D/P,introducing new concepts,but retaining the feeling especially with the new Pokemon designs. They're a combination of good stuff from Gen.II and III introducing new battle mechanics,but not having awful design.

I agree with Joshawott. Storywise, step forward. Controls, step back.

However, I think that musicwise, it was a step forward. All the new sound effects instead of that boring "Click" sound. And that new music when your Pokemon has very little HP left? LOVIN IT!

Also, the fact that they released it for the DS instead of the 3DS was both a step forward and a step back. For Nintendo, it was a step back, because making B/W on the list of 3DS games released at the same time as the system would have definitely boosted 3DS sales. For the customers, it was a bit of a step forward so they didn't have to waste $250 for a new system, just to get a single game.

So, my vote goes to Both.

There were plenty of improvements, especially story-wise, as well as animation and graphics.
Reusable TM's was a great addition.
The controls were definitely not as good as in Hg/Ss though.

Everything was great from the story, characters, Pokemon, animation etc. The only negative I would say are the details like the controls of the touch screen, bag setup etc. Though Gen V is a step up from its prequels.

Black and White was a step in the right direction, although some aspects of the game isn't winning any awards for creative thinking, especially the plot and pst-game content.

They implemented seasons, but there's clearly much more to get here. I was rather disappointed to see the lack of use of this new addition, considering they could made it a lot more interesting. Still, I think it's better to have it as it is now than not to have it. They also removed dependence to previous generations pokémon-wise, which was a definite step forward if you ask me. There's nothing wrong with using old pokémon, but it's even better to showcase the new. GS and DP failed at this (Platinum made somewhat amends for DP's sake though), Hoenn was ... better, but not quite there, but not seeing a single Ratata, Zubat and Tentacool felt pretty good.

The lack of post-game content isn't a step in any direction really, a step backwards from FrLg and GSCHGSS, though the lack of interesting things to do in pokémon after the E4 is nothing new.

The plot was disappointing to say the least, but I don't play the games for the plot (fortunately), if I want to play a rich story, I way better games, so it's no bother. I still think they should mix up the plot, I have yet to figure out exactly why there has to be an evil team. Can't they think of any other plot-lines that don't involve an evil team and/or an legendary pokémon that is the mascot?

The TMs was a step in the right direction. It does take away some of the pleasure I get when I have hoarded a bunch of TMs though... Music-wise, I'm not very impressed, but they weren't bad either. I only dislike the low HP music though. I also think the overall graphics are a step in the right direction, especially in battle, viewing the entirety of your pokémon as well.

I really think it was a step forward. I appreciate all the changes like full back sprites and animated sprites. I also like that I can actually have WiFi battles with anyone.

They left out a lot of the things that made HGSS so good. I'm talking about minor changes. But some of the additions are really good ones too.

My vote went both:
Step-forward:
  • X button use to exit menus quickly
  • The shift in the camera angle to create a better 3D effect
  • The added movement to pokemon, this made them seem more real to me
  • The addition of seasons, I liked this one a lot because it made Unova feel more like a place
  • The dream world
  • The fact that Tms are now permanent items
  • Expanding the box system

Step-backwards:
  • The removal of the Vs. Seeker, yes there is the stadiums now but they aren't enough.
  • I liked some of the gimmicky stuff, like pokemon walking with you and no B button holding to run
  • post game activity, but the third game will always improve on that.

I thought B/W was a step in the right direction for the most part, especially with the Dream World. However, I do wish the Vs. Seeker was reintroduced, and that they'd fix the ridiculousness of the GTS with the lv.9 and under legendaries, etc.

Step Forewards: Zooming sprites, fluid animation, tms unlimited.

Step backwards: Same graphics engine as DP, removed features (to be added at later date in grey/dlc), linearness

There really wasn't anything in the gameplay to improve other than adding adding new battles, which isn't necessarily a bad thing. Random Match-Ups were indeed a step into the right direction, but the GTS remains the same with its insane offers. Once the move tutors return, then the series is perfect.

Defiantly, the games brought so much to the franchise, and evolved it into something much better. They do have their flaws, but these are not large enough to hinder the overall picture.

The plot in Black & White is great, as evident by the huge amount of praise. It isn't the most original, but I think what this plot so notable and memorable is that, unlike the past games, it actually involved the characters, as opposed to the players just passing it whenever they feel like it. In past games, you had no sort of attachment to the villainous teams, but Black & White actually engaged you and the characters with Plasma.

The characters themselves are also an improvement, as they have their own development and their own personalities, aside from being the usual helping character. And even though the player doesn't have any dialogue, they did help other characters in one way or the other.

I also personally loved the fact that the cities and the region itself was given it's own memorable feel. And the Pokémon introduced in those games were great and actually useful. In the past games, there would always be a few Pokémon that were useless, or easily surpassed, but I haven't found a Pokémon that I didn't enjoy using in Black & White.

And finally, all the features introduced are more than welcome, and they enhanced the experience. So overall, yes, they were a leap in the right direction.

I did love what it did to make the game world more realistic, but I despised the changes that were made to prioritize "practical" before the aforementioned "realistic".
Obviously voting "Both".

I'd say it evens out somewhere.

Forward:

- Unbreakable TMs. I've read the reason for this was that people were hoarding the once use TMs and never ended up using them. Boy were they right on that one.
- Triple and rotation battles. I dreaded the idea of triple battles, I hate double battles. However I ended up loving them and becoming pretty good at them. Still hate doubles though. P:
- The dex. More new pokemon than even first gen and no old ones until the post game. I remember someone asking what we would want most in the new games and I had said something to the effect of, "A regional dex without pikachu." and I was told not to hold my breath. I finally got my wish. \o/
- The fact you are often asked before being engaged in a triple or rotation battle. I used to actively avoid in game double battles, this made it easier for those who didn't want it.

Backward:

- The zooming in the sprites was a bad choice graphically. I love pixel sprites but they were not meant to be zoomed in on in that kind of setting.
- The PC system. HGSS had my favourite, DPPt was a close second. The one in BW just seems more awkward in comparison. At least in HGSS the box list stayed there when you were moving things.
- The lack of VS seeker. Even HGSS had the phone calls (and you could even call certain people besides the Gym Leaders for rematches on certain times and days). It's been a long time since they've taken that away from us.
- Not being able to take items. Those TMs were not the only things we were hoarding. So much berry growing and now they have to stay there. The Dream World has really helped restock my EV berries but I so miss my event berries. :c

Both:

- Black City and White Forest. The concept is really interesting, the fact that it empties so quickly and can't be replenished without someone else nearby is very hindering.
- Entralink. Again, hard when people can't get someone else nearby to help. Wifi has been a wonderful addition to the series and it would have been much more helpful if there had been an option for that with this. As the pass powers, when you can actually get them, can be very helpful.

Please note: The thread is from 11 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom