• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

VG Weekly Poll #16 Favourite Early Bird

Favourite Early Bird?

• Pidgey/Pidgeotto/Pidgeot

Votes: 23 15.5%
  • Spearow/Fearow

Votes: 9 6.1%
  • Hoothoot/Noctowl

Votes: 24 16.2%
  • Taillow/Swellow

Votes: 24 16.2%
  • Starly/Staravia/Staraptor

Votes: 61 41.2%
  • Pidove/Tranquil/Unfezant

Votes: 7 4.7%

• Total voters
Does that include Pokemon with the ability Early Bird? Didn't think so.

Anyway, I am going to go through an elimination to describe the "early birds" I don't favour, but just to tell you now, I prefer Swellow because it is a cool bird with a wonderful potential and grace, which is quite appropriate for an early bird because from Taillow, another bird that looks great even in other forms of media (I thought Linoone's fur portrayal looks funny in the anime).

One thing I like about Unfezant is its gender differences, which make its final evolutions stand out. Pidove is also a cute Pokemon, but as a whole this family seemed ill-treated as a competitive Pokemon because there is a dissonance between their higher Attack and their more useful Special attacks, so in a way, they are my second pick.

Fearow seems interesting too, due to having more focused stats than Pidgeot, and its threat level is shown to be quite powerful in the anime at one point and in the Electric Tale of Pikachu, and it's actually refreshing to know that Ash caught this one. Having Drill Run is a huge bonus because this means it has something over Dodrio (who is faster and more powerful).

Noctowl is a cool bird that only appears at night, and it's special because it's the first one who is more Special oriented. This one's got bonus points for being the most unique of the birds.

I didn't really like Staraptor because in my opinion, it is very unbalanced as a competitive Pokemon. It's easy to raise for a very powerful Pokemon because it evolves fast and takes little time to hatch. A lot of people like this because of that, but I think as a balanced Pokemon, Staraptor failed here. This is worse than Excadrill because its Sand Stream teammates are hard to raise and it's hard to find (come to think of it, Excadrill is more balanced than I thought).

Pidgeot is a classic Pokemon but sadly doesn't quite reach the mark because while it's a good bird, it's ordinary at best.

Thanks for reading.

For using in-game, Staraptor. Close Combat and a respectable Speed stat made Candice's Gym a lot easier. Design-wise, though, would have to be Swellow.

I'll have to go with Noctowl. I love that thing! Its move-set's decent, I generally like any Pokemon that learns a sleeping move (It's my second favourite stat negative thingy, after frozen) and I find Pidgeot's design depressing, although I still like it, Fearow looks far to angry, Swellow looks far too prideful, Staraptor was annoying when Barry used it and Unfeazant seems to be a brilliant Pokemon when I'M NOT USING IT.

My favourite early bird is Starly and its evolved forms but I've only used three of the early bird families which are also the Pidgey and Taillow families. I like the Starly family because Staraptor can learn Close Combat and Brave Bird.

I love the name and design of Starly, but I'm also a fan of Hoothoot just because...it's different. I always got the vibe that the Hoothoot/Noctowl evolution line was way different than any of the other early birds which makes it cool in itself. So it would have to be a tie between those two.

It's a tie between Starly and Spearow for reasons I'll explain later.
Taillow gets a mention due to Swellow's awesome 125 Base Speed and alright 85 Base Attack.
I chose Starly and Spearow due to the fact that along with Taillow, I didn't actually struggle with using them, compared to Pidgey and Hoothoot.
Hoothoot gets points for the line's movepool as well as Noctowl's Base 100 HP.

It's not even a contest for me. The starly line all the way! That line is just amazing all around great attack, speed, and movepool.

Pidgey as I had one in almost every game. But Starly and Tailow are also the ones I tend to catch at the start of the game.

Going with the Majority and go for Starly. Starraptor is an all atround fantastic Pokemon with excellent stats and move-poll (yaya for Close Combat!!) and he looks awesome with his emo fringe.

Tailow is second though he has the lowest stats he is easily the second best of the birds because of hid increadible speed and decent attack. plus guts/endever/facade is deadly...

as for the others I think they are all okay... (why isn't Wingull here? he's found at the same time as Tailow?)

I love my Starly line. Why? Starts out cute, and then into pure awesome. Probably one of the best of early Flying types. Offensively awesome, and with semi-decent defenses. Not to mention really huggable. XD

While I do love the old-school Pidgey, Swellow really takes the cake for me. It's not the greatest in terms of stats, but it has the best design out of the lot, I think. I prefer Pokemon that look sleek over bulky ones, so I never really liked Staraptor. Never trained one.

Even though Staraptor is the best, Spearow and Fearow have the most nostalgic memories with me. I always use one when I do any run with Generation 1.

It's a toss-up between Staraptor and Fearow. I've had great memories with both, but I'll go with Fearow, because of nostalgia reasons. :p

Definitely have to Noctowl for this one. It's the only one to learn psychic moves naturally. It was always a good team member to have. I also really liked Pidgeot and Unfezant, but they were both usually replaced later on (Aerodactyl and Braviary).

Also, you neglected to mention Wingull and Pelipper. I always picked them over Taillow and Swellow.

I've always liked Noctowl. Specially for it's role in the Anime, and because it looks really intelligent. I've always liked owls, not as much as penguins but still.

I don't know why, but I've always liked Taillow/Swellow more than the others. Not that the others are bad (in fact, I've always loved the bird lines), but Swellow is my favorite.

Please note: The thread is from 5 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom