• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

VG Weekly Poll #20: Initial reaction to "Pokémon + Nobunaga's Ambition"?

First thoughts about "Pokémon + Nobunaga's Ambition"?

• Yes! This looks awesome! (aka "Positive")

Votes: 48 46.6%
  • Boo! What is this rubbish?! (aka "Negative")

Votes: 17 16.5%
  • I'm gonna wait and see until we learn more (aka "Neutral")

Votes: 38 36.9%

• Total voters
At first I thought it was a joke ("Pokémon would never do a crossover!"), then I was like, "what the frak is Nobunaga's Ambition" and then when I saw the trailer for it, I was like "whoa, next year can't come soon enough." I think it looks awesome, but then again, I'm one who loves the spinoffs an insane amount, so I don't think I'll have any problems liking this game.

It sold less than they expected, hence their massive price drop. It may be selling more now, but it doesn't change the fact that it had a rocky start, or what I said about why it makes sense to put a cross-over on the same system as the game its crossing with..

Yeah, Pokemon will be on the 3DS eventually. But guess where Pokemon is when this game is released? They can't count on waiting a few months for Game Freak to maybe release the third version (which never sells as much as the first) to push 3DS' out to Pokemon fans, and then expect them to pick out the games.

If this game is successful, no doubt a sequel to it will take place on the 3DS since it had established some ground within the Pokemon fanbase.

Well of course the 3rd Version doesn't sell as much as the paired versions... The Paired Version are 2 games to make a number... The 3rd Version sell very well.. and yeah it's been rocky but the orignal price was ridulous... I serosly think this game will be the last DS game (Guess we know why they were promoting the DS) It will have been out over a year by then if the games are out by September

I'm indifferent in all honesty. I think the only played an RPG that looked like this was Disagea and I only played that for a couple of minutes so I could go either way since Disagea got neglected due to other responsibilities at the time. Never heard of Nobunaga's Ambition before this, but I heard that this is a big franchise back in Japan.

Well of course the 3rd Version doesn't sell as much as the paired versions... The Paired Version are 2 games to make a number... The 3rd Version sell very well.. and yeah it's been rocky but the orignal price was ridulous... I serosly think this game will be the last DS game (Guess we know why they were promoting the DS) It will have been out over a year by then if the games are out by September
Not everyone buys both versions. To say the first version only succeeds because there are two is ridiculous. It merely gives options, otherwise the numbers would still be much higher (the games have always been more than twice the amount of third versions). The third versions fail get the same number of people to buy the game a second time, but that's besides the point.

The question is, what exactly is the point you're making? Are you just trying to say the 3DS isn't bad? Because a question was asked why this isn't on the 3DS. I provided my interpretation of the situation, that from a business standpoint, it makes much more sense to be on the DS. I did not make reference to the 3DS's success on the original post.
Right now, I have a quite negative feeling about these games. I'm sorry, but I've always been a lover of the main series, not the crappy spin-offs.
And which of these spin-offs you call crappy, have you actually played?

Not everyone buys both versions. To say the first version only succeeds because there are two is ridiculous. It merely gives options, otherwise the numbers would still be much higher (the games have always been more than twice the amount of third versions). The third versions fail get the same number of people to buy the game a second time, but that's besides the point.

?

Because your comparing the total of TWO games against the total of ONE!!! That's beyond stupd of course the Paired is going to outsell the 3rd Version because it's the combination of TWO games. seriously... How much did Diamond and Pearl sell seperatly? did they both outsell Platinum?

The 3rd Version sell very well over 7 million is amazing for a game thats more then some FRANCHISES... SO I do think Grey will draw people to get a 3DS and if Grey is on the 3DS so will (If they are made this Gen and I think they wil) R/S remakes will beon it... Might as well get a 3DS eventually because Pokemon is going to move to it either by next year or 2013/2014

I like turn-based game play, and I enjoyed PMD because of that.

I'd love to see this new version of pokemon game - finally with another game with awesome characters that aren't stupid like Ash. This also reminds me of Final Fantasy Tactics Advance, and I like the cool, traditional design. I would buy it at first glance since it's officially legit. However... I want to wait and hear from other people on how awesome it is before playing.

did they both outsell Platinum?
For future reference for everyone's convenience, since the games are coupled, assuming the games sold relatively equal allowing for us to divide DP sales in half, yes, yes they did. And even if it wasn't an even spread and one of the games still sold worse than Platinum, it means Platinum sold much worse than one of the original games so it still doesn't meet the standards of dragging "new" fans in.
SO I do think Grey will draw people to get a 3DS and if Grey is on the 3DS so will (If they are made this Gen and I think they wil) R/S remakes will beon it... Might as well get a 3DS eventually because Pokemon is going to move to it either by next year or 2013/2014

Again, completely missing the point. This isn't a discussion on 3DS sales, Grey, or whether or not Pokemon will be on the 3DS, or even RSEmakes, which you amazingly managed to shove in. They may have been mentioned in the post, but they aren't the focal topic; stop trying to make them be. I'll continue this with you via PM/VM.

To reiterate, such that you will not be derailed by anything else in this post: Pokemon will eventually move to the 3DS, but right now its not. To maximize exposure of Pokemon fans to Nobunaga's Ambition (and possibly other Tecmo Koei games as a result), they have to make sure that their intended audience even has the system that their game is on, because let's face it, when has a spin-off game in Pokemon moved hardware? You buy the games because you have a system and they seem interesting. There are few games you will buy an entire system to play--as interesting as this looks, I doubt this is one of those games.

This itself isn't even what the topic's about either, but I find the need to repeat myself because of your constantly ignoring the point being made.

Last edited:
Guys, as @The Outrage pointed out, this thread is to discuss the initial reactions to the announcement of Pokémon + Nobunaga's Ambition. NOT about whether or not paired versions sell more than third versions and all that off-topic blab.

Completely indifferent. If it was a crossover with a series that I actually heard about, or if it came from a more renowned developer than Tecmo-Koei, maybe I would be much more excited, but as it's stands, this game is a one big question mark for me.

I have to give them one thing - the art DOES kick ass.

And which of these spin-offs you call crappy, have you actually played?

Mystery Dungeon and Pokemon Ranger. They just didn't feel like pokemon to me.

for those who are complaining about mewtwo,all characters have a pokeball design on their clothes.

for those who are complaining about mewtwo,all characters have a pokeball design on their clothes.
I'm not sure how that changes anything. Even in the main series, you can get away with Pokeball shapes because its just a symbol, and perhaps the item was modeled to look like it.

As far as the game goes, for me it's alright I guess, but it's not my thing, you know? I'm not really one for crossovers, even in fanart and fanfictions, much less canon media :p

Stance: Neutral

I'm not sure how that changes anything. Even in the main series, you can get away with Pokeball shapes because its just a symbol, and perhaps the item was modeled to look like it.

pokeballs are newly invented devise in the pokemon world,so how come their clothes have pokeball design on it ?!

pokeballs are newly invented devise in the pokemon world,so how come their clothes have pokeball design on it ?!
Perhaps the last part of the sentence wasn't clear. Perhaps the Pokeball had been a symbol long used in Pokemon history, and as such, the items that are Pokeballs were modeled to look like the symbols.

Or you know, its a cross-over, and in this universe, the Pokeball symbol is unassociated with the item given that we don't know how they catch Pokemon. The Pokeball symbol is a lot less jarring compared to a Pokemon who's entire back story is being a genetically modified cat meaning that its back story would have to be different in this universe. It's not as if they're actually using Pokeballs.

I was excited to say the least. Pokémon's the only reason I've got a DS, and the spin-offs at hand look too lackluster to spend money on. I have alot of hope in this game.

My reaction was initially negative since I have never heard of the other game and I was disappointed that it was on the DS. I think I might still buy it, though.

My reaction was "lolwut"

I was very very confused.

But then I realized that this is going to be awesome. So I'm excited.

I'm a bit on the neutral side with this one due to the fact that it's a spin-off but hey I could be wrong.

Nice necromance, but I think a new poll should be made since this one is corrupted by the info being new when it was made. I'm reluctant to do so since we don't quite have all the info yet, but Serebii is counting on forumgoers to tell him what to feature, when I don't believe that does it any form of justice. The fact that no one is talking about it anywhere (except maybe 4chan, but they're not that active about it as I type this) leaves me to believe that it doesn't matter, though.

Please note: The thread is from 11 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom