• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

VG Weekly Poll #28 Do you nickname your Pokémon?

Do you nickname your Pokémon?

• Yes.

Votes: 61 33.5%
  • Only certain Pokémon (In-game/Competitive team etc)

Votes: 77 42.3%
  • No.

Votes: 44 24.2%

• Total voters
I nickname almost all of my Pokemon, although when I'm shiny/nature hunting in the post-storyline game, I don't nickname babies I'm not going to keep.

On the occasion I do. Sometimes it's the creatures' Japanese names.

I only provide the nicknames if I planned my team (even in-game), but otherwise, I don't, because I don't have plans with the Pokemon, so it's best to leave it pure.

Thanks for reading.

I nickname the mons I use in wifi-battling. Fittingly my Conkeldurr is called Clowncrete, so everytime I sweep with it, it is said that "he swept my team with his namesake".

I nickname as I feel like it, with no real reasoning behind it. So maybe a Stoutland that's been part of my team whole game doesn't have a nickname, but perhaps a random bird to fly does.

On the other hand, I can't resist naming Magikarp "Arceus".

Because of this, I don't really mind in-game trades having nicknames. And because of regions nobody will know anyway... Though while everyone loves Kinniku/MUSCLE, some of them really suck.

Last edited:
I used to not nickname my Pokémon, but when I replayed HeartGold I decided I would just to do something different, and now I nickname all the mons I use. Legendaries are the exception though, because they're special already, so they don't need a new name.

Not usually. The only ones I regularly name are my party members.

Though a few years back I was so bored in Gale of Darkness that I went on a naming spree, and nicknamed every single Pokemon unique and (IMO) interesting names. Can't recall if I named the legendaries though, but knowing my sticklerness over UT legends, I prolly didn't.

@Silverwynde-

I totally agree.

Yes I do. Usually after I catch it I keep it's species name until I can think of a good one. I name them after singers and people in bands, whatever sounds cool or fits their nature and looks, or something like Killer or Blood Lust.

I don't normally nickname my Pokémon, but my whole White team has really terrible nicknames with an obvious connection to the Pokémon (Storm the Zekrom and so on), because I guess I just felt like nicknaming them.

I usually only nickname my favorites and my starter. If a Pokemon I'm using does something memorable, or I feel creative suddenly I will name them after training them for a bit.

I do feel kinda lame about it sometimes. Its like calling your pet cat "cat"...

I've nicknamed one or two of my Pokemon for fun, but in general I don't nickname them. I could never make them good enough.

I mainly don't, I prefer using the actually name of pokemon maybe helps get to know them better. The only ones I've nicknamed are shinies

I try to nickname as many of them as possible. If I don't, they don't feel like my Pokemon, just... some random member of that species.

I try to nickname them when I can. I think of whatever comes to mind for that Pokemon. Then it gets named.

Normally I don't nickname them. I use to not nickname any of them but once I started White I nicknamed more often. I nicknamed mostly the ones on my team/in my party that I plan on training.

I nickname them when I can come up with a good nickname. I generally don't nickname legendaries, e.g. Giratina, Zekrom, Dialga etc.
The only legendary I've nicknamed was my 1st Victini, which I nicknamed 'Victorie'.

i only name pokemon that i use for my main and secondary teams, and also pokemon for competitive play too. in all the games before B/W i hated how they were in ALL CAPS so i renamed them so they were not in ALL CAPS. i also name pokemon that remind me of something:

I named a hitmonchan Ryu, a lapras Tessie, and a keldeo rainbow (dash)

Yes, im a Bronie, dont judge.

I only nickname certain pokémon,;
  • Team members
  • Pokémon I'm planning to train (casual training and competitive training)
  • Certain legendaries (legendary trios, version mascots, and trio masters)

Of course, I may occasionally give nicknames to pokémon I'm don't plan on training.

Please note: The thread is from 11 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom